For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Car Rides with your Shiba
  • RSierackiRSieracki
    What does everyone do with their Shiba in the car? I was thinking about getting Ginger a doggie seat belt- does anyone use these? Or do you use the partition for the back part of your car? I am trying to break Ginger of the very bad habit of sitting on the passenger's lap during car rides- I know, I know, it's my fault she has this habit! When we put her in the back, she hurdles herself over the seats and stretches herself out so her front paws are on the arm rest of the driver seat and pops her head in as if to say, "You forgot about me in the back!" She likes the front view so I was thinking of doing a doggie seat belt for her in the back seat so she can still see out the front window. Thoughts?
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-21 09:49:02
  • Doggie seat belt is a good idea. Or you may want to get a wire crate for her that you can fasten in back seat with belts/bungie cords.

My Shibas ride in crates. I have a Vari Kennel in back seat on passenger's side. (Where you normally put child in car seat.) This is in car pretty much all the time. I have an additonal Pet Gear plastic and wire crate that I can put in back of the Forester for Hoshi (my little guy) if I need to transport both Shibas. I've been rear ended and Hoshi was in the Vari Kennel at the time. He emerged from the accident without any problems and I didn't have to worry about him bouncing all over the car (and getting loose) after the rear-ender.

(It's always a good idea to have a travel crate available, in case you need to evacuate with your dog.)
    Post edited by sukoshi’s mom at 2011-07-02 17:11:17
  • LosechLosech
    I kinda made a seat belt thing. I don't like dogs loose in the car but I'm a cheap-o and can't afford a real car harness so I use a spare leash that I loop around the buckled seat belt a few times and attach it (with a heavy-duty locking carabiner, not the snap) to a harness and hope it'll work. Conker normally rides in the passenger seat in the front since I've only got one airbag and it'll punch me in the face not him, but if there was a passenger airbag he'd be in the back.
  • zeketazzeketaz
    I have to crate Nala cause she hates riding in the car. Last time she was in the car and not in her crate she peed on me :(
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    Sakura has a seat belt, if it's just me and as long as she isn't a shedding fiend, she gets to ride in the front. If it is my husband and I, then she rides in the back. The seat belt prevents her from hurting herself.Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • mcsassymcsassy
    If it's just us, Nova rides in the passenger seat with me. She enjoys going for car rides...she will go stand next to the car until I open the door so she can jump in haha.
  • Mine are pretty good about hanging out in the backseat. Sophie lays down on the floor (i think because the air conditioning vent is down there) and Okie likes to sit up and look out. If he tries to jump up front i just lean over to block the space between the driver and passenger seat and he gets the idea :)
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    Foxy has this harness and she does really well with it.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/Rondeschic/Foxy/201806_1858534156925_1648040037_1812160_258941_o.jpg
  • ToshiMamaToshiMama
    I put Toshi in a crate because he is only 14 weeks old and doesn't understand that he can't sit on my lap while I'm driving. Though it is such a major pain to carry that crate into the car so I might have to cave and purchase a travel crate. I never thought of looping the seatbelt through his harness though so I will try that.

Foxylover, that picture of Foxy is to die for.
  • RorsRors
    We have a back seat hammock, that hangs from the front seat headrest to the backseat headrest and covers the back of the front seats and the whole backseat.
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    Use of a travel crate (avoid a soft crate) seems to work the best. Unfortunately some dogs can slip a harness if too loose and when in a crash they can really be tossed about causing some hang ups on a snug fit. Not using a harness or restraint and the dog can go flying out of a window or out the door if it comes ajar or window pops out of the back of a wagon etc.

We were rear ended last yr at a stand still and pushed into an intersection. The amount of jumbling in the car was enormous, the crate kept the dog safe although everything else was flung far and wide.

If you have front passenger airbags, avoid placing the dog in the front seat.

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2011-07-05 00:59:19
  • mcsassymcsassy
    FOXY = CUTE
  • SakuSaku
    We've got a back seat hammock and a seat belt for Saku. Otherwise he will walk/jump arond the car like it's nobody's business. The hammock is really good, it prevents Saku from jumping to the front seat and keeps the car clean! The seat belt secures the dog, so he will sit or lie down during the car ride. It really gives me a peace of mind when I am driving! It's for your safety and your dog's safety!

I have got mine from Marshalls. They are made by ASPCA, very sturdy and at reasonable price (
  • We just use Crash's normal harness and put the middle seat belt, all the way extended through it. He can get comfy, co-pilot, and see out the windows. He doesn't get tangled either.
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    Our problem in the car is that our pup likes to stand with his front legs on the center console, rear legs in the back, and will not stay in the back. He's OK like this in the freeway but around the streets it just doesn't work because of the starts/stops and turning. We did the whole crate thing for a while and the result was always the scream!
  • Kiba'sDadKiba'sDad
    AWE:
    Kiba does the same thing in my Jeep. He'll put his forepaws on the center console, his rear paws in the back. He LOVES staring out the windshield as I drive.
    Most of the time, he takes the corners well.......by leaning against my shoulder. Amazing how much a 30 pound dog seems to weight when you're trying to steer and shift with him bracing on your shoulder. :)
  • catloreecatloree
    AWE & Kiba'sDad- Elwood does that too! We won't let him sit in the front seat so he tries to get as close to us as possible by putting his front paws on the center console. I really need to invest in a crate for the back, just haven't had the funds to do so yet.
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
    Post edited by catloree at 2011-07-14 08:47:40
  • tobysmomtobysmom
    Toby sits in the front passenger seat if its just me and the kids. I run the belt through his harness, he sets off the no airbag light so I do not have to worry about it going off if we had an accident. If we are all in the van he is stuck on the floor belted with tether straps (the hooks for carseats that are on the back of my middle seat) until we get a full size van then he will have his own seat.
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    we use the dog travel hammock...i highly reccomend it , waterproof , so far shiba proof lol he did great in a 3 hour car ride (we stopped about every hour or so and walked him stretched our legs and let him run around etc) but it allows for storage behind you front seat where the dog cant get to, *suggestion lots of his/her favorite chew toys and D.A.P calming spray....brewster handled his first 300 mile road trip excellently!
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    Since this thread has been revived, I guess I'll update... haha We bought a hammock back in August and it has probably been the best $50 spent to-date on a dog product. We went on a long(ish) road trip, about 5 hrs (~400 miles), and he sat/laid down in back seat the WHOLE time. Car rides are so much easier these days in my wife's car; she has a sedan so the hammock works great, I have a two seater so it doesn't work in there. We usually take her car anyway since it's more convenient with the dog.
  • This is a good thread for me to look at since Michael and I are looking to move anywhere from 6 to 20 hours away within the next year (depending on graduate schools). And benny bear loves to stand on our laps as if he is another seat belt.
    Benny Bear. Shiba Inu year and a half old living in Tempe, AZ
  • Sakura has an easy rider harness she wears if the ride is longer than 10 minutes. When she wears it, she also rides in the back. I never drive long distances, so in my car, she always rides shotgun with her harness hooked to a seat belt or her leash tied to the chair
    Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    Zach doesn't love car rides yet...he is 3 months old and whines for a while when we first get in the car....won't even go near the car when he thinks we are going some where. I hope this will get better...we want to take him to parks and hiking trails once he gets his rabies shot. How old were your Shibas before they were ok with car rides?
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    Our dog was in the car with us from day 1, ~ 8.5 weeks old. The breeder we got him from took the pups on car rides prior to us picking up so he was mostly OK with it. He did not, and still does not, like to be crated in the car though. I think he get's nervous when he restricted.

Can dogs be claustrophobic?
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    If INU were not tethered he would want to drive. Both he and Penny are great in the car since day 1. Penny learned how to open the windows. I have to keep the window control disabled or I will see her head peeking out in the rearview mirror.
    犬竜
  • LosechLosech
    To update on my previous post:

Conker would be all over the Jeep (due to curiosity and driving style...) so I buckle him in. He always wears his Ruff Wear harness and is always attached to a seat belt. I've got a nylon strap with a leash clip on one end and a brass ring on the other that I use to attach him to a seatbelt. I loop the strap around a buckled seatbelt and put the snap through the ring then clip the snap to the harness. It gives him enough room to be comfortable but is short enough that he won't hit the windshield/seats in front of him, depending on where he is in the Jeep.
    My other two dogs, like Conker, are always buckled down too. There are tie-down bolts in the back of the Jeep that I attach a strap to and snap onto their harnesses.

Conker loved the Jeep on day one, but also on day one, I hit a concrete guard-rail with my tire and sent him flying into the air. He has never liked riding in a car since, and is also the reason why he is always secured. Plus it prevents him from jumping out of the window if he ever chose to try. (Which is something Juneau has done.)

@AWE46M3 As far as I know, dogs can be somewhat claustrophobic. Conker is to some degree. He dislikes going into or under things and HATES checkout lines at stores that have barriers on both sides.

@esiepiela Try feeding him in the car. Give him treats when he sits nicely with the engine off, then with it on until he is fine and progress to moving slowly, etc. and he'll eventually be okay with it. (Better to have someone else give him treats while driving.) I had to do that with Conker and while he doesn't like it, he puts up with it. He's slowly, very slowly, getting better about it but it's very understandable that he doesn't like the Jeep anymore.
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    @Losech thanks for the advice!!! I'll give it a try!
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    we lucked out with brewster hes well behaved in the car for the most part,when we drive short distances (ie to petsmart for his class) he sits up from with mommy and daddy but since here in nj it gets dark around 430 now he gets antsy,he sees headlilghts and lunges and barks...other than that he does well but @Losech is onto something treats and food is a good way to get a shiba to like anything ,at least thats what weve discovered (very food motivated creatures)
  • @esiepiela, Sakura used to hate car rides too and rarely took treats from me in the car (still doesn't), but the way we got her to at least enjoy car rides is by only taking her someplace awesome. In her case, it was puppy socialization at Petco, a place she got to play with other puppies and practically drowned in treats. It was also led by her trainer (who she ADORES). Now whenever she walks by one of our cars, she can't wait to hop in.
    Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • Can't emphasize enough the fact that dogs riding up front is not a good idea nor dogs loose in the car as it can cause all sorts of issues if there is even a minor accident. If airbags deploy, door opens or window pops out you are up to the gods in terms of fate.

Snf
  • SakuSaku
    Both of my shibas love to ride with me now, because riding with me means going to some places fun! Doggie park, hiking trips, agility gym or people watching!

Riding with daddy means no fun! For Mina, it's usually a trip to the vet and she hates it! Hate it so much that she would poop on daddy's car. For Saku, it means trip to grandparents. It's also no fun...because he will be on-leash most of time and walk at turtle speed during his walk.
    Saku & Mina's mom

Saku & Mina
    Post edited by Saku at 2012-01-02 20:47:18
  • We got a car a month ago and have driven Ponta around only a half dozen times so far. We're trying to find a good solution (like one of those flexible, collapsible carriers which hook into seat belts). We tried the carrier, and it works but Ponta hates being in there, and it's a pain to haul out every time. Now we cover the back seat in one of his towels and either he stays there in a harness tied to a headrest with enough room to move around, or else Sachi keeps him in her lap in the front seat. Today, we alternated.

Ponta always whines when we start a car trip, then he settles down; I don't know if he'll ever stop that or not. After we have the daily activity and get back in the car, he has no problems settling down.

The main problem is giving him enough leash to move around while not enough to climb on top of me from behind while I am driving, something he loves to do.
  • I have a large SUV that is ALWAYS full with random things and is rarely clean enough for me to not worry about the dog. So, he sits shotgun next to me. The seats are leather so he usually just naps on his doggy bed during the car ride. Rarely gives me a bigger problem than adjusting himself so his head is on the center console.

I JUST put him into a harness and he fights with me (for the first time ever, my dog scratched me). I was wondering if anyone has seen a device that I can connect to the harness I already have (easy walker) that "straps him in safe". I was thinking something that will connect the harness to the seatbelt?

New Jersey has a law requiring him to be strapped in.

Thoughts/Advice? All I saw was this, but it doesn't come with instructions, so I don't know what to think...

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity®-Adjustable-Vehicle-Seatbelt-Harness/dp/B00B2STMKS

• sunyatasunyata
    @BanjoTheBetaDog - The easy walker connects in the front, correct? If that is the case, that is NOT a safe harness to use for securing a dog in a vehicle. Either get a vehicle specific harness, a crate, or perhaps a Ruffwear harness with a seat belt adapter.

You also really should not have the dog in the front seat... Very unsafe. Take an afternoon and clean up your vehicle so that your puppy can ride safely and legally.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • It connects in the front, however, it can also connect on the "top" and is listed as a safe option... I called and asked them =).

Its not so much a "clean the car" thing as a "in my line of work, my car will forever have stuff in it" type of thing. I work for a not for profit and am constantly out and about with supplies for the less fortunate.
  • BootzBootz
    @BanjoTheBetaDog.... I'm too lazy to look it up for you. But in one of the harness threads they linked an article that shows quite a few harness that were car crash tested. I don't think easy walker passed...even if its connected on the top. Very few harnesses are considered "car safe"
  • BootzBootz

Edit:: As sunyata says, front seat is very dangerous for dogs, same reason it is dangerous for toddlers. If an accident was to happen and the airbag deploys... bye bye Shiba.

Edit: :( why did it quote my previous comment when i hit Edit!
    Post edited by Bootz at 2014-02-25 14:56:32
  • No No no, I meant it's safe to orient the harness such that the loop is on top, not in front, for a walk. Not in the car =).

I guess it's gonna be trunk (its an SUV) and crate for lil Banjo.. =(

• BootzBootz
    @BanjoTheBetaDog i personally don't like trunk as it can be very scary. My cousin drives a Toyota Versa and got rear ended....luckily his dog wasn't in the trunk.

Back seat the is safest!
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Bootz - I drive a Subaru Outback and B&N are usually crated in the back. When crated, it is actually one of the safest areas in the car (if the crates are good crates and are secured). I was rear-ended last February with the dogs back there. The car was damaged pretty badly and my race mountain bike was almost destroyed when it flew off the roof of my car. But the dogs were fine. They were a little shaken up but were happy to get loads of attention and treats from all the Troopers that responded! ;-)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • BootzBootz
    @sunyata,

Yikes!! That does not sound good. Yeah my cousin drives a Toyota, safety and Toyota don't mix. But Subaru is a different story!

I always thought the safest place in the car is in the center back seat **secured and strapped down**

• Oo that does sound scary!

Oki always wears a harness when outside the house, so it's easy to use a belt that clips into the seatbelt attachment and clips to his harness. I have a small round bed with sides on the back seat which he just flops into abd goes to sleep whenever he's in the car. Even for a 5 minute journey he lays down for a snooze! I took it into the house once, and it was on the floor. Oki saw it and automatically got into it and lay down! He doesn't do that with his other beds. I'm hoping he stays like that and doesn't start objecting to car journeys as part of his teenage / regression stage I keep hearing horror stories about!
  • I know I'll get blasted but as you can see in the little pic where Nookie rides...with her head out the T-top
    Post edited by misterelwood at 2014-02-25 20:32:06
  • I actually went car shopping yesterday for something inexpensive that I can keep clutter free and use ONLY for banjo trips.

I think something may be wrong with me... =)

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I use a Champion seatbelt harness that is strapped down to the middle seatbelt in the back of my Honda Accord. Kira has the whole backseat made up just for her. There is a large, comfy blanket that covers the entire seat and a bed on one side.

She HATES being restricted in the car. She gives me the angry Shiba look but eventually gets comfortable and goes to sleep.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • tysaaantysaaan
    I'm going to be driving up to Oregon sometime late February (coming from SoCal). I'll be picking up my new puppy on February 7th, he'll be 8 weeks old. Initially I was going to travel by plane, but since I have a puppy, I would much rather drive than fly.

Are there any concerns about traveling, especially with an 8-week old pup? I'll be sure to do constant breaks for him to exercise and go potty of course. I'm just concerned about stressing him out too much or possibly getting him sick.
    Post edited by tysaaan at 2015-01-10 21:52:19
  • I had to drive a few hours when I picked up my puppy (then got in a wreck, so we were in the car for a long time).

Make sure you have a harness, a seatbelt clip for your puppy, and maybe something under him (since he isn't potty trained and might not know at that point to let you know he has to go to the bathroom) that you don't mind if it gets a wet.

When I drove back home I stopped every 45 mins to give him a chance to go potty, eat and drink. Then when he was a sleep I woke him up every hour and a half or so. Your situation might be a little different since your puppy will know you better than mine did at the time. He was still a little shy around me so he didn't want to play a lot during those breaks. Although, in the car on his seat, I did put out a chew toy, a snuggle buddy and a squeaky toy; he played with those a little bit while we were driving.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    When we picked up Kira from the breeder she was 7 weeks old and we lived about 6 hours away. I would recommend crating a puppy that young versus doing a seatbelt harness. We used a plastic kennel for her.

We only stopped once at a rest area to let her have a potty break, but it depends on how sleepy or active the pup is during transport. Kira slept a lot so we just let her sleep and didn't worry about stopping until after she woke up.

Definitely don't feed a whole meal before you leave to avoid car sickness and bring paper towels, towels, and wipes just in case.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • BootzBootz
    @tysaaan

Are you driving alone or with a partner?
    Post edited by Bootz at 2015-01-11 11:36:46
  • tysaaantysaaan
    Thanks so much for the help guys! I was wondering how many times I should stop at rest area's. It's about a 13ish hour drive up to there, so I'll take as many stops as I can. I think for how new he is going to be towards me, he might be a bit uncomfortable being exposed and open in the car with just a seatbelt harness, so I'll use a crate. I feel that it'd help him feel more comfortable for the long ride and would give him some space of his own.

@Bootz

I'll be driving with my family, so I think it'd be a lot easier for me to pay more attention to him more than the drive itself. It'd also give a great excuse for my family to take more rests ;)
  • BootzBootz
    @tysaaan

Oh in that case, Did you send the breeder a blanket so you can get the scent of the litter mates/mom on it? I would have the blanket in my lap to calm him down and maybe have him nap there. If he wants space because you're new, then have the crate easily accessible just in case.

As Kira_Kira mentioned, you just have to monitor your puppy to see how frequently he needs to take breaks. Try not to blast music too loud in the car ;)

And congrats!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)