For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Tips for bathing a reactive Shiba?
  • RacieRacie
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-06-06 14:46:39
  • mcsassymcsassy
  • bobc33bobc33
    Racie,

I don't have any advice on making it easier. I tried twice to give Scout a bath when she was a pup and both times she went crazy and clawed me all over in her attempt to get free. I don't even try anymore, and have found she does not need a bath. She cleans herself whenever she gets dirty which is not often, and she never has a "dog" smell even when wet.

Once a year I bring her to a groomer, usually a week or two into her shedding the heavy winter undercoat. Doesn't the groomer put a muzzle on?
  • RacieRacie
    @bobc33 I wouldn't put it past Kiba to get himself out of a muzzle. He's done it countless times at the vet. I really don't want to risk a bite =X.
  • aykayk
    Have you tried not running the water while she's in the tub? Just fill up a bucket ahead of time and use a pitcher to douse and rinse? Some dogs don't like the sound of running water.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    believe it or not, but a rubber duck does help Sakura! it gives her something to chew on to distract her! :)Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • SayaSaya
    Next time I buy Saya a pool to cool off in I'll have to get her a rubber duck lol..

Caseys advice is pretty good.

Super yummy treats can be cooked meat like beef, chicken or canned salmon or sardines, dehydrated liver petsmart sells it, or hot dogs.

Saya gets a bath once or twice a year and it's mostly to help get her winter coat out.

Saya goes swimming in the lake, pond, gets dirt from digging and stuff the dirt seems to come right off once she dries.. lol

Bathing helps with coat blows so much she went swimming in the lake and once she got back from the boat ride her fur was flying off..

Funny Saya doesn't mind swiming or standing in the kiddie pool, but bath she is not fond of at all.

We bathed her at pet supplies plus on their self service dog wash she did pretty good I had my mom give her wellness vennison or salmon type meat treats and she was silent till the treats ran out and then she started to whine a bit luckily she was almost done.

I think if I had to rinse her off any longer she would have shiba screamed. lol

Hope things work out least shiba inu don't really need baths too much so it'll take time just take it slow short sessions and yummy treats. maybe work on being in the room for the bath tub is then move onto being in the tub?
  • RacieRacie
    @ayk Still water doesn't help either =[

@sunyata He won't accept treats when there is water in the tub, even if it isn't running. Your training plan is exactly what I have been doing, but with no progression T_T your suggestion is exactly what I would want to do for him though, so thanks for taking the time to write it out! I agree that Shibas aren't dirty dogs, he doesn't reek and looks very clean but, if I pet him my hand will SMELL! lol.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • sunyatasunyata
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    If possible... have you tried giving him a bath outside? Use a kiddie pool and have someone help you, I haven't tried it with Sakura due to living in an apt, but I had a friend who's GSD was terrified of baths... but loved 'pool time', they just soaped him up out there and he was fine with it. They thought it was more the confinement of the bathroom and the noise that scared him.Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Rachelle,
    I'm guessing it's gonna take you a lot of time, repitition and desensitization for lil' Kiba. You have to figure out at what point Kiba begins shutting down. Do you find yourself going through the same routine when it's time for him to get a bath? Is it when you open the bathroom door? Is it when you begin picking him up and walking to the bathroom or try luring him in? Once you find that point, that's where you begin the process of doing that same action and break the routine by encouraging hi to get through that first moment he starts feeling the stress and begins shutting down, and surprising him by letting him know it doesn't result in a bath.

You can do small things like playing fetch with him and throwing his favorite toy in the bathroom to fetch? Or play tug of war with him in the bathroom with the door open. You can also do things like miss a feeding one morning and drop treats in the bathtub for him to find and be hungry enough to get.

You can begin your routine of picking Kiba up, sitting with him in the bathtub with no water for 5 to 10 minutes. Let him out, and then lavishly praise him.

Now, mind you, despite all this advice, I do what Lindsay illustrated. I pick up my dog, protestations and all, plop them in the tub with me, close the sliding glass door, and give them a bath and try to keep myself as their source of calm as much as possible. Luckily no stress poops and pee (I usually do the baths after a poop/pee walk of 0.5 miles or more).

Jesse
  • KaylaKayla
    :( sorry to hear that it's so hard.
    Kayla pretty much shuts down and won't accept treats, but the good part abt her shutting down is that she doesn't do anything else - no screaming, no trying to get out - she just stands there frozen so nick and i hurry up with the bath while i baby-talk her.
    we have just a bucket of water instead of still water in the tub and i get in with her.

and....not that she's awful to be bathed, but i know too often would strip their oils, but i think she gets stinky, so i use sprays on her like Earthbath
  • RacieRacie
    @sunyata - Beef bouillon cubes in water sounds like an idea I want to try out, sounds weird enough to maybe work with Kiba, =P.

@lindsayt - I thing the self serve grooming station sounds like a great idea. I saw a new one at the car wash place I normally go to. It is lined with a rubber mat, I think that may actually help with the panic, since he won't be slipping and sliding like in a normal tub. I definitely do want to try it out!

Jesse, thanks for the advice! I do try to mix it up in order to bathe him. I know it will never be an easy process but I just want to get to the point where he won't stress poo+pee. Last time I gave him a bath I ended up covered in feces and scratches. It was terrible.
  • Koni B.Koni B.
    I used to have to bathe cats and they were MANIACS. I have a bath/shower with sliding doors, so the thing that worked for me with the cats was to fix the shower door so that it was just slightly open. They focused on that one escape route and stopped trying to climb my body to safety, so I could wet and soap them up quickly, rinse them off again and let them out.

If you really need to get your dog washed, that might git 'er done. Don't soap/shampoo anywhere on his head because you could rinse soap into his eyes and make him hate baths even more. With Koni he doesn't like baths but after experiencing two or three of them, he calmed down a lot. He was never too upset to take treats, though, so I wouldn't say I'm well qualified to advise on that point.

Another option is to try those waterless bath wipes that they sell at pet shops. I don't think they are very effective but if you really can't do baths it might be better than nothing.
  • zoezoezoezoe
    Zoey doesn't like baths but she's surprisingly pretty good about staying still.

I would try Earthbath Grooming Wipes. It's only a surface level clean but she smells so good and feels so soft afterward. Try the cherry scented!
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    I agree with adonia - if you can find a place outside might help...and when it's warm outside...the slippery tub, echo chamber bathroom is probably not nice to them.

I got Koji to play with sprinkler and chase the water coming out of hose in hot weather...He still has no desire to be "IN" water, but not afraid of spraying water...and I just put a leash on, get someone to help and started by wetting his paws...and moving up his body...I wouldn't say he likes it but tolerates...kiddie pool could help..

Lindsayt knows what she's doing more than I so maybe just "do it"...With Koji, I try to make a game out of it...A game he has to play whether he wants to or not :)
  • sandrat888sandrat888

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)