For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Before and after RAW
  • SakuSaku
    Hi all,

So I've heard mostly good and some bad about feeding dogs raw. For those who feed their shiba raw, can you please describe what are the positive changes to your buddy? e.g. more shining coat, better breath, optimal weight? When people say "better health", what are the indication?

I've been feeding Saku Orijin puppy food...and about 50% of time, he has soft poop. I don't think it's a good indication and am thinking what I can do to improve his diet.

I haven't made of my mind feeding him raw, mainly because...it's kinda gross me out (sorry...), and I don't know how much to feed him and how to switch to raw?

Should I switch with partial raw and partial dry kibbles? But I read somewhere that mixing raw with kibble is very bad to dog's digestive system. Is it true?

Please share your thoughts! Appreciate it!
  • jujeejujee
  • SayaSaya
    Orijen puppy and adult foods are nice kibble, but some dogs can be too rich they also have acana which is made by same company, but less protein not really sure on it if it has a puppy formula.

This link has a lot of info and links to info to read
    http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/431875

This link has a spreadsheet that can be helpful finding out how much meat and organ to feed.
    http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/491589

Saya has been on raw for two years she started at 8months.

The diet takes a lot of research and at first it's a bit of work, but I find it pretty easy to feed now.

Saya has been pretty healthy on kibble she was on wellness core ocean, but while on wellness puppy and core ocean she reversed sneezed during meals and at night.

When she started raw she still reversed sneezed, but month after she did it less and less and then every so often, and now she does do it once in a blue moon not enough for me to remember the last time she has done it.

Saya's coat is about the same only improvement I guess is her breath doesn't stink too bad. She also gets wet and doesn't stink bad like Bella our boxer does.

Some say mixing raw and kibble is bad some say it's OK, but you could feed kibble for breakfast and then raw for dinner?

I do that with Bella our 55lb boxer she gets a chicken quarter as a meal instead of kibble as dinner she does fine.

I'd start out with just chicken, like a breast, thigh, drumstick, or quarter.

If you feed a quarter you'll have to take away once he eats the right amount for his meal.

I do that by weighing before I give it to her on the kitchen scale and after I think she ate the right amount.

How old is Saku again? If still a puppy feeding a bit more like 2.5% is good or maybe 3% you can always decrease or increase if need be. Too much food can cause loose poop too so can being new to raw, but once he gets used to it should be OK.

Guideline I follow is 80% meat/ 10% bone/ 5% liver/ 5% other organ like kidney, pancreas, thymus etc.

Some dogs might need a bit more bone some don't.

When starting out feeding just chicken is best and after a few weeks if he does well you can add little bit of a different protein with the chicken meal just a little bit and increase it as he gets used to if he gets loose poop go back to just chicken for a day and maybe next time take off skin of the chicken while introducing new protein.

When doing organs go extra slow.

Be sure to get un enhanced meat it'll say on front or in nutrition box. Like %of solution added or anything above 90% sodium is too high.

When starting out it might be a good idea to take some skin off till he's used to chicken.

You might have to hold it for a few days or he might take to it.

Raw is higher valued item so maybe holding it will help some with showing it your giving it to him not taking it away.

Working on trading is good can do it by having a piece of boneless chicken or piece of chicken heart or gizzard and putting it a bit away so he has to leave his meal to get it.

I think that might be how trading works.

Saya doesn't mind me around or handling her food, but some dogs it can increase resource guarding with their food hand feeding can help with it.

Bella my parent's boxer is a bit of a resource guarder with her food, but after a few meals she got better, but still not sure. She know eats fine and if I ask her to drop it she'll drop the quarter.

feeding frozen or holding it can help with gulpers or feeding big can help too.

Before Saya was switched to raw I'd give her raw eggs with her kibble and once week she got lamb ribs before bed.

One thing don't feed raw eggs till your dog is used to raw eggs can be rich for dogs when not used to it. I usually just give Saya a egg a week she likes it.

Anymore questions let us know.

If you don't want to feed raw full time you could always do it as a dinner or three times a week two etc.. Bella gets quarter and a bit of boneless or liver or kidney with the quarter three times a week.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • LosechLosech
    Conker didn't do good on Orijen puppy. My guess is it was too rich for him. I've also concluded that he has intolerances to cooked chicken and potatoes, both are in Orijen Puppy. As much as I liked that food, it just didn't work out for him. He was also refusing to eat it, so I switched him to raw.

So far the changed are:
    Stopped itching, clean teeth, great coat, no smell or bad breath, good poops (if he doesn't steal stuff), better energy and he never refuses a meal now.

I didn't want to play the game of "find the right kibble" with Conker and end up spending a ton of money until I found one that worked for him so I skipped that step and just did the raw thing. If he could handle cooked chicken and potatoes I'd probably have just switched him to Acana.
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    I've been doing about 50% raw, Wellness puppy in the AM/afternoon and raw at night. I've noticed that he seems more energetic, coat seems softer (maybe shinier?), and breathe seems a little better. I must admit though, I don't make it a point to check his breathe from day-to-day... hha
  • SakuSaku
    Thank you for the advices! I will definitely consider feeding Saku raw. So far he hasn't had any food-related allergies and he seems not too picky about his food. I need to look up more information before I start!
  • SayaSaya
    Oh yeah I forgot smaller poop is one of my favorite things and flies don't seem to be attracted to it compared to kibble poop.. Gross I know.. lol

Even when Bella gets a chicken quarter with some boneless or organ her poop is more smaller.
  • cjcbcjcb
  • cmed24cmed24
    Orijen and Acana caused Kuma to have soft poops and lots of gas, we think its too much protein. He has been eating TOTW and is doing much better, although teh kibble is a bit bigger than he would like. we mix it with Nutro wet food, he likes the pate wet foods not the chunky stew like ones.
  • InoushiInoushi
    How about people living in a city? Here in nyc there isn't a lot of acess to varied meat sources and cuts. Not to mention a lot of the affordable meats are enhanced.
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • SayaSaya
  • vnovikovavnovikova
    Our puppy was weaned to raw by our breeder and never had any issues with it. She get kibble as treats only or when she is visiting with grandparents.
  • SayaSaya
  • @Inoushi - check out some of the green markets. A lot of farmers have chicken backs, feet, and organ meat from various animals for much cheaper than their normal prices. Organs cost the most at $3.00/lb. Also if you say what parts (not normally or easily used in cooking) you would be interested in purchasing you can get them pretty affordably even if it's not listed on their board. If you develop relationship with a particular farmer/s I've found that they set aside bits for you or sometimes just give you things. Most are pretty nice and given the stringent NYC market rules, the guys at the stand have to work at the farm.
    Post edited by violet_in_seville at 2012-01-12 15:20:43
  • SayaSaya
  • InoushiInoushi
    @violet_in_seville Thanks for the info! I totally overlooked the green markets. Switching kenny to raw is something I have been wanting to do for a long time. He has been doing fine on his kibble, but I prefer feeding him a less processed diet.
    Anyone have any books they reccomend?
  • SayaSaya
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.
  • inupamuinupamu
    I really want to start a raw diet for both my dogs, but I'm really concerned about the financial portion of it. Anyone have an estimate to how much they buy and the prices?
  • LosechLosech
    I live in a small townish thing in the mountains, so I have to buy everything locally. Shipping is a pain in the wallet for frozen goods so I don't bother.

I get my meat from the grocery store, and if I can find a butcher or farmer who will sell me stuff at cheaper I'll go with them. I spend no more than:
    .89 cents a pound for chicken
    $1.69 a pound for pork
    $1.99 a pound for beef
    $.89 cents a pound for turkey

I will spend more on things like liver (required), heart, gizzard, eggs, etc. since a little bit goes a long way. I also buy sardines at no more than $1.19 per tin. I prefer cheaper but that's hard to get these days.

I spend roughly $20-30 a month to feed Conker this way, that includes The Honest Kitchen which right now comprises about half of his diet, and supplements like salmon oil and vitamin E.
    The amount you spend per month depends on what your local meat prices are, how much your dog eats and how much you are willing to spend. but my price list is a pretty good guideline to try to stick close to. I usually hold off on buying something until it's on sale, then I buy a lot of it and freeze what I'm not going to use right away.
  • SayaSaya
  • SayaSaya
  • SayaSaya
  • inupamuinupamu
    Do you guys ever worry about getting contaminated from your dogs licking you after eating raw meats? How do you deal with that?
  • SayaSaya
  • NekopanNekopan
    I just recently switched to raw. I'm using premade right now because I don't have much freezer space and homemade is a little scary, though I do plan to do that eventually.

Immediately I noticed: smaller and less frequent poop. He used to go 3-4 times a day, now it's 1-2 times. His poop is more compact and pretty much odorless.

After a few days I've noticed: better breath, more energy, and a softer coat. He is downright excited about mealtime too, he sits at my feet while I prepare, and whines for more when he's finished.

I wash any knives and his bowl with hot soapy water. That's all we do when we prepare our own meals, so it's good enough for him.
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-01-26 18:07:32
  • phipsphips
    Post edited by phips at 2012-05-25 21:31:03
  • SayaSaya
  • phipsphips
  • mandumandu
    Bump!

I've been doing a lot of research (mostly through this incredibly informative forum) on switching Mandu over to a partial raw-food diet. He's about 5 months old now, and though he is as fit as a fiddle, his breath has started to smell. We've been cleaning his teeth, but I've read over and over again on this forum that having some raw meat with bones can provide a more natural and organic form of teeth-cleansing. I started doing more research and reading and can see that there are WAY more benefits to adding raw into Mandu's diet.

Anyways, I'm really excited about embarking on this journey. I know I have a lot more reading and research to do. For those of you who are feeding both kibble and raw foods, what are your proportions? I read that some people feed kibble in the morning, raw at night, and that some people only feed raw on certain days of the week without kibble. Are there pros and cons to these options?

Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated! Mandu will appreciate it, as well!
  • koyukikoyuki
  • SayaSaya

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)