For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How thin is the coat supposed to get?
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    So Sakura is 9 1/2 months now and blowing coat like a fiend. I don't think she really lost much puppy fluff earlier and I think she is losing it all now. I have never had a dog before that shed, so I might just be a little over worried about how thin her coat is getting. Here is a picture of her back leg, the area in the middle is the really thin part. She also has thin areas near her legs and on her chest.

Also, if this is all just due to losing her puppy and blowing coat at the same time, when should I expect her to start regowing some undercoat?Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
    Post edited by Sangmort at 2011-09-21 01:31:31
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    By the way, not refering to the area on her tummy, she is still growing back in from her spay.Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • mattzmattz
    The thin area on her leg looks normal to me. I have a female, and she sheds out pretty thin in the summer time... Especially with temperatures reaching 100+ here in Texas. I noticed her thick coat coming back in during late Fall... Only recently, since about April, has she started shedding heavily for summer time. Seems natural to me!

How often do you brush her? What kind of brush do you use?

I think a good way to tell if you're over-brushing is if your dog is itching a lot... Over-brushing can irritate their skin, possibly causing them mild rashes...

Just my experience!
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    she hasn't been itching for over a month (when we stopped all poultry/ grain containing products). We only have a slicker brush that she tolerates us using on her only when she is half asleep. So... maybe 10 -15 minutes whenever she will let us. Sometimes it is just a quick swipe or two then shes done. She does not like being brushed so it is not a frequent occasion.Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • mcsassymcsassy
    Looks fine to me...Nova slim lined tremendously for the hot summer heat...all my friends thought she lost weight haha.
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    I guess I probably never realized just how fluffy Sakura is, and now that her fluff is going away she looks soo tiny (already little to begin with 15.4 lbs)Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • SayaSaya
    Saya my shiba has gotten a bit less fluffy she's almost done blowing she did her legs, side of her body, some of her neck, and now she is blowing the rest of her neck area and her back.

She's probably loosing her puppy fluff and her over coat will be coming in. Patches on her legs look like over coat I think.

summer they're a bit less fluffy, but come fall they'll blow their coat again and grow a fluffy coat for winter.

Saya looks even skinnier when she is wet. lol
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • LosechLosech
    Conker's fur gets real thin behind his front legs, on his lower chest and belly, sides and knees when he sheds. Some of it grows back a couple weeks later but for the most part it comes back in when the winter weather arrives.
  • ProtokProtok
    Miht'Tor's fur has just thinned out like that, he looked so skinny that my family were wondering if I was starving the poor pup.
    He is now growing some more fur in it's place but he's kept his slender looks, a local vet told me that come winter time he should be getting his thick coat again.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium
    Looks fine to me
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    thats good to know it looks normal :) Right now she looks like she got an aweful haircut with some patches pretty long and fluffy and others harly anythingStefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • hey guys! just wanted to know when your shibas really got their maximum "fluff" potential and if anyone has any before and afters of their coat/fluff difference that they can post? I tried searching older forums...but a lot of the photos dont work anymore cause of the third party policy photo bucket change :(( Ryu has recently started blowing his coat (the weather is getting colder in canada now) but he just seems super short haired...not fluffy at all =(

does the fluff hit closer to when it snows and gets really cold? or is my dude just destined for short hairness. Both of his parents were super fluffy too...this is the latest pic of my dude

• JuniJuni
    Right now Juni is shedding her summer coat. She usually don't get her full winter coat until january so she is a bit off. From what I heard, since most dogs spend most of their lives indoors, they don't really follow the seasons that well these days.
  • @Juni thanks so much Juni! I didn't even think about the being indoor aspect. makes a lot of sense.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)