For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
SIRA needs foster homes
  • RhondabeeRhondabee
    Hi, if you live in the Chicago area or St. Louis areas and are interested in fostering/possibly adopting a shiba puppy or adult shiba, please go to SIRA's website and fill out an application. They want to rescue about 8 puppies between 5-9 months old, but need foster homes. They currently have a foster home for four 4 month old puppies (3 with special needs), but if they get more foster homes, they can pull more of the puppies.

Rhonda, Kenji & Taizo (SIRA rescue)
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    If I lived closer, I'd do it, but I'm really far away. :(
  • LosechLosech
    Dang, I WAS in the St. Louis area but moved out in February.
  • RhondabeeRhondabee
    Just an update that SIRA is looking for foster homes for 12 shibas - most are young females and there are 2 older males and a young/puppy male. If they don't find foster parents the breeder will euthanize or sell to other breeders. I'm thinking about it, but I am honestly not sure if I can handle 3 shibas!
  • SayaSaya
    So sad I hope someone can foster them. This sounds like a puppy mill if the breeder wants to euthanize them.. >.<<br />
    I wish all puppy mills could be destroyed there is no need for it.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • ttddinhttddinh
    Can I post this on my FB? I have quite a bit of friends in that area!
    Post edited by ttddinh at 2011-10-03 23:34:53
  • GatsuGatsu
    If thai didn't have the potty problems, I would be able to convince my family to take him. :( He better not get euthanize!
  • Wish I lived closer... I could use another shiba in my life.
  • RhondabeeRhondabee
    @Saya: yes the shibas are being released to SIRA from a puppy mill/commercial breeder.

@Gatsu: Thai is already being fostered - he is in no danger - just looking for a home.

@ttddinh: Feel free to post the link to SIRA's website on Facebook. Each potential foster home will have to complete an application and someone has to visit their home to approve them as a foster parent.
  • God, I really wish I felt like I was in a position to help here. We're not exactly in Chicagoland, but Champaign is probably close enough if they're desperate for foster homes. The fact that these poor dogs might be put down makes me sick to my stomach.

Edit: I just posted this to facebook. I have a lot of friends and relatives in Chicago so hopefully either they or someone they know can help out!
    Post edited by notoriousscrat at 2011-10-04 01:36:09
  • RhondabeeRhondabee
    Just an update that 9 foster homes are still needed. I have agreed to foster a 1 year old female. Transport is tentatively planned for the end of November. So if you are in the Midwest & would like to foster, please contact SIRA.
  • Hmm...i wonder if Northern MN is WAY too far from their area. We'd maybe in interested, but a home visit would be rather difficult...
  • XabiXabi
    @kaysejean: I sent them an email of interest from the KC area, and they responded with interest. I haven't followed up as I'm a little bogged down with work the next couple weeks, but I plan on it. If you're interested you should contact SIRA. The worst they could say is no.
    X & I signature smaller
  • Man, I DO live in that area, but a) our duplex doesn't allow pets and b) I'm in college right now :( If I were in a better financial situation, I'd help in an instant.

edit; I attempted to spread the word, though. I don't know how many people are going to be able to help: a lot of my friends are also in college, so...but I tried :D
    Post edited by munovice at 2011-10-26 12:00:45
  • dunnmeldunnmel
    I'm interested! When about would I be receiving the shiba?
  • sunyatasunyata
    @munovice - If you have a vehicle and some spare time, you might want to sign up to help with some of the transports. This way you could still help out, but not have to foster. :)

@dunnmel - Contact SIRA for more information!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • dunnmeldunnmel
    Is anyone else having problems with the application form on their site? I keep having to start over =(
  • Just an update that SIRA needs volunteers to help transport the shibas they are rescuing. The mill is in northwest Arkansas (Ft. Smith area). If anyone lives in Arkansas and would like to help out, please contact SIRA

• RhondabeeRhondabee

A new batch of shibas that need rescued. SIRA is again looking for foster homes.
  • Wish I could help. There's some oldsters in there, which is always heartbreaking. An 8 year old and a 10 year old! :(

I can't foster, but I can send another small donation, so I'll do that.
  • RhondabeeRhondabee
    Lisa, I think the 8 year old has a foster lined up :) I'm not going to be able to foster at this time, but I'm volunteering to help transport. I hope they get enough foster homes. I can't imagine a 10 pound adult shiba - she must be extremely tiny.
  • I'm glad to hear it about the 8 year old! And I was surprised about the 10 pound Shiba too!

• The 8 y.o female does have a foster lined up! We will be fostering her (YAY!), but the older male still needs a foster home, as well as 5 others…SIRA just updated the info.
  • RhondabeeRhondabee
    The commercial breeder they get rescues from is downsizing and they hope to rescue 17 or more shibas, mostly puppies and younger shibas, but a couple older ones as well. They need foster homes and donations to help pay for transport. See link for details:
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Just sent them a a donation to help, and have been spreading the word. Glad they're able to get these dogs out, and I hope they are able to get ou as many as possible.

It's particularly heartbreaking to me right now as so many look like my little mill girl. And my little girl is very sick right now too....:(
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-07-13 02:07:15
  • RhondabeeRhondabee
    I really hope they can get enough foster homes. I think the transport is set up for next weekend and they only have 6 foster homes lined up. I wish I could foster but I'm not able at this time - having 4 cats (one elderly with multiple health issues), 2 shibas and a rabbit is all I can handle right now.
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    Illinois and other Midwestern shiba enthusiasts, please see the email below sent to the Chicago Shiba group from SIRA. If anyone is interested in a rescue dog this is a great opportunity as there are a lot of younger dogs available. Just thought I would help spread the word. Contact Brittany ( if interested.

Brittany via

7:01 AM (6 hours ago)

to Chicago-Shiba-.

Hello foster homes and shiba lovers,

SIRA is still in need of at least 9 more foster homes for the transport this weekend from a commercial breeder who is releasing 17 + shibas to us. We are so close to saving all of these pups from a life of breeding! The transport will be happening this weekend 21/22. The dogs should be arriving at the TCF bank in Glendale Heights on Sunday the 22nd. Let me know if you are able to foster one of these sweet dogs. Here is the current list of the dogs that still need foster homes. Please remember that this list has a possiblilty of changing at the last minute. That is just the nature of these commercial breeder releases. Also the is really all the information we know about these dogs until we see them.

- young male(unsure of age)

- 6 mo-male

- 6 mo-female

-8 mo-female

-8 mo-female

-8 mo-female

- 1 yo- female

-1 yo- female

-2 yo- male

Thank you to everyone who has stepped up to help these wonderful dogs.

Brittany Rogowski

SIRA Foster home coordinator
  • RhondabeeRhondabee
    Well I caved yesterday and I will at least provide a temporary foster home & if I think I can handle it well, I will foster until the shiba is adopted. If you think you can provide even a temporary foster home, please let them know. They don't want to have to leave any of these shibas behind. They are looking for foster homes in Illinois, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri and Indiana.
  • RhondabeeRhondabee
    An update that foster homes were found for all the shibas and 19 shibas were rescued by SIRA today. So if you live in the midwest and are looking to adopt a shiba, check out their website. Also don't forget Midwest Shiba Rescue who also has a lot of beautiful shibas that need adopted.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)