For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
What do you Feed your Shiba?
  • SwiftSwift
    Just curious what you all feed your Shibas, also if there is anything special Shiba Inu's should be eating I don't know about..

I feed mine Dry Blue Buffalo chicken and rice formula and he gets Chicken jerky treats and Greenies treats, as well as a rawhide bones etc.

Thanks.
    Post edited by Calia at 2011-09-21 01:32:51
  • robes325robes325
    how old is your shiba inu?
  • mcsassymcsassy
    I feed mine grilled chicken breast and thigh, pasta, brown rice, roasted potatoes, steaks such as tenderloin, NY, ribeye, t-bone, porterhouse (basically what I buy for myself), grilled salmon, different kinds of bread such as bagels and wheat toast with either cream cheese or butter with scrambled eggs (that's her typical breakfast)

She went through a week long phase of not eating her chicken breast unless I prepared it on pizza for her, so I made pizza for a week straight lol. I sneak in vegetables into her diet through pasta and pizza and certain fruits and nuts I'll get her to eat with a sandwich or salad (with some sort of meat of course)

The only "dog products" I give her to eat are pedigree dentastix and assorted flavor dental cookies from petco, which are her treats (she gets one of each a day...one after her morning run and one after her evening run)
  • inubakainubaka
    Nope, not one specific food.

Whatever your dog thrives on (not just survives on) is the best food.

Do lots of research and make an informed decision, but listen to your dog.

These sites help:
    dogfoodadvisor.com
    dogfoodproject.com
    truthaboutpetfood.com
    volunteers4paws.wordpress.com
  • euphaireeuphaire
    I just got my puppy not too long ago. I'm feeding him Wellness Just For Puppies kibble combined with different types of raw meat everyday. Raw "meat" includes chicken breast, chicken gizzards, steak, pork chop, turkey, salmon -- basically whatever I'm having for meal, I chop off a portion for him before cooking. He hates all types of fish except salmon lol. I think the diet is suitable for him because he always licks his bowl clean.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    @mcsassy, I want to be your Shiba!

I rotate constantly. Variety is the spice and so on.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • LosechLosech
    Conker is rawfed and I try to switch up what he gets as often as possible. It's a mish-mash of mainly meat with some bone and organs. He normally gets:
    Beef: roasts like lindon broil or 5 bone (that's what it's labled as), occasionally ribs
    Pork: shoulder and butt roasts, chops, loin, ribs, spareribs and necks
    Turkey: wings, backs or necks
    Chicken: all parts of the bird.
    He also gets beef liver and kidney, chicken liver, heart and gizzard and turkey heart, liver and gizzard and and an egg. I sometimes give him sardines, I hope to get some rabbit soon.
    Supplements Conker gets: salmon oil every or every other day, glusocamine/chondtiotin/msm every day and vitamin E once a week.
    He likes as a snack: Banana, cantaloupe, blackberry, strawberry and watermelon.
    The only brand of treats I use with him are Zuke's.

Juneau and Sasha get Taste of the Wild with a raw egg once a week and various scraps Conker can't have.
  • jujeejujee
    Prey model :)
    beef, pork, ostrich, chicken, rabbit, goat, sardines.
    organs and muscle from all above listed.
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    Sakura is on kibble because honestly... I can't stand the thought of watching my little 'baby' eat something I don't even like to touch. *Shudders*, but I applaud the people who are able to feed raw.

Sakura has a small host of allergies, among them are two 'unofficial' allergies, grains and poultry. She was itching alot on a grain inclusive food, switched to grain free, still itchy, just not as much and started losing hair on her ears, switched to poultry & grain free.. no problems.

Anyway she is on Grain Free Pure Vita Salmon (contains no poultry products of any sort) kibble.Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • jujeejujee
    Haha, before I got Mika I thought the exact same thing! I was so grossed out by having to touch stuff and portion out her food. But when I saw how bad her eye goop was getting on regular kibble and how she thrived on premade raw, I decided to do prey model because I save so much more money doing my own raw instead of buying it premade. With that extra money I'm able to pay for more training classes for them and get the pups into dog sports (eventually).
  • LosechLosech
    I've got no problem with the raw meat, I actually... like... to make Conker's meals... yeah. I enjoy gutting fish (not in a malicious way mind you) and would always do it for my siblings who didn't quite like to.
    Anyways, Conker had so many issues on kibble, grain-free and not, and I just jumped the gun and by-passed trying all kinds of brands and went straight into raw. He's so much better on raw than he was on kibble, it's pretty neat.
    I would still feed kibble to one of my dogs though (if I couldn't afford to have two on raw, or the new one didn't tolerate raw well) I'm not against it, I feed my Mom's dogs kibble with no problems.
  • mcsassymcsassy
    @ lindsayt, Haha thanks, I'll see what I can do.
  • SayaSaya
    Saya ate chicken soup for puppy lover's soul when I first got her and once the bag was almost done I transitioned her to wellness puppy food and I'd rotate between things like caned salmon, sardines, cooked egg, raw egg once a week.

Saya got wellness core ocean at 7months then I started to give her lamb ribs two times a week then at 8months I was ready to switch her to raw after doing tons of research on it.

Now she is on raw she gets
    Beef:ground, roasts, stew neat, gullet, green tripe, liver, kidney, tongue, heart, pancreas, thymus
    Chicken:ground, thigh, drumstick, breast, quarter, gizzard, heart, liver, whole cornish hens, chicken feet
    Duck:Ground duck mix(meat/bone/heart/liver/gizzards)
    Goat:Ground goat mix(meat/heart/lung/liver/tripe/kidney)
    Sheep:Ground lamb, lamb ribs, ground mutton mix(meat/bone/liver/heart/lung/kidneys)
    Pig:ground, pork chops without the bone, pork ribs, split pig's feet, pork shoulder roast, tongue, heart, liver
    Quail:Whole quail
    Fish:Smelt, mackerel filet, whole mackerel gutted, saury whole with guts, caned salmon, caned sardines
    Misc:Squid, octopus I just gave her tiny pieces as a treat whenever I made a meal for myself with it

Treats she gets zuke's salmon treats, wellness treats she loves their biscuits and jerky ones, string cheese, cooked meat, caned sardines, fruit she likes, cooked broccoli, cooked Brussels sprouts, plain Greek yoghurt, she also loves wellness core ocean and ToTW lamb kibble as training treats.

I used different treats for different stuff or if I feel like just getting something quick or if it's for training.

Raw isn't for everyone and it takes some work and getting used to and a lot of research.

I'm so used to feeding and prepping raw I enjoy it.

I don't hate kibble Bella loves her kibble and so does Saya. lol

Raw has really helped Saya with her stuff she no longer reverse sneezes and is a bit more better in joints since I give her chicken feet and beef gullet for her joints.

Only supplements I give is solid gold seameal in her eggs and ground meat.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • hiropuppyhiropuppy
    wish i had the time, energy and finances to feed prey model or premade raw... since we don't, we feed a mix of acana (any flavor) and stella&chewy's freeze dried raw patties, w solid gold seameal on top. if we're not going with the fish kibble, we put some grizzly salmon oil on top occasionally.
  • BrozeeBrozee
    Well..
    my puppy (now 12 weeks) started off on taste of the wild prairie flavor (beef) then he didn't eat much of it so I gave him acana fish and had him choose that or acana chicken (cheapest acana) he loved the chicken akana version. Then we realized whenever he is around my parents puppy he will eat everything no matter what food it is. So I got him hooked on taste of the wild lamb flavor (purple bag) he will pick and choose throughout the day and won't eat it all at once when he is alone. If I take him to my parents house with the other puppy he will scarf it down no matter what the food though. I found one sure way to make him eat it all is either throw some yogurt or gravy into his kibble or even mix one of those Caesar wet dog food's in with his kibble (I only use 1/4 of the small pouch per serving if I really want him to eat all his food fast.) I generally give him 1/2 a cup in the morning and 1/2 a cup at night. He should be eating more but he is too picky unless around the other puppy.
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    In my experience, if you put a food down around your puppy and it is not their normal food = treat. My moms dog has no eating issues whatsoever, but if we put down a bowl of Sakura's food he RUNS to it and gobbles it down. Some dogs are just picky eaters. Sakura is a grazer, we tried and tried to get her on a feeding schedual, but she honestly couldn't have cared less if we did not feed her at all! What we ended up doing is giving her the daily recommended amount in her bowl and just leaving it down, some days she finishes all of it, some days she doesn't.

@brozee, if your pup really is that picky, I would suggest stop changing foods unless they are causing issues (gas, vomiting, nasty poo or breath, itches, hair loss, whatever) and stick to a food. If he is picky and you are able to, I would suggest allowing him to graze, as long as it is compatible with your schedule and you do not add liquid or raw foods to the kibble (can make the kibble nasty if it sits out all day). Sakura is little only 15.5 lbs at 9 months, and does not seem to be getting any bigger, she only eats about a cup a day, sometimes less. I would not worry too much, unless he stops eating all together.Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • lucylulucylu
    We stared our puppy out on Blue Buffalo Lamb and Oatmeal for Puppies. While she ate it, her stools were horrible so we gave Acana Wild Praire a try. She loves it and is doing really well on it. I'd like to get her to Orijen, but I'll probably wait until she's a year old to do that. I don't want to switch her food too often as young as she is. (BTW, she came to us in Iams so the Acana is already her 3rd food)

I would like to try raw, but not a chance in hell the wife would allow that.
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    If you have a new puppy I would make sure that you have a least one or two nutritionally balanced meals per day. To assure this, it means at least some kibble if you are not familiar with calcium ratios and balancing out for growth etc etc. Start off with with a good quality brand mixed with the current food the dog is eating and in the other feeding add some raw etc before fully switching over if that is what you plan to do. Go with changes gradually, you don't want to hit an immature digestive system hard with sudden changes. If you are starting out as a new pet parent you will need to do some research, look at the links for inu-baka provided.

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2011-06-17 20:50:53
  • Posted this on another thread:

I have switched Sukoshi and Hoshi back to Avoderm. Now trying Avoderm Salmon/Potato with them. May try Meat/Potato next. Avoderm isn't the highest rated food, but I've always had luck w/ it in terms of fur and skin conditions. I just supplement it w/ other stuff, such as cottage cheeze. I also get the smaller bags so that I can rotate flavors. This seems to work pretty well. the dogs don't get bored w/ their food that way.

Hoshi has developed "seasonal allergies" so the vet and I are working on that. My challenge is getting his pils into him. Unlike Sukoshi, who will eat almost anything, Hoshi is definitely a pickier eater.
  • britkotsubritkotsu
    My 7 month old shiba is on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. We can get it for a very reasonable price at our tractor supply store. She was on Diamond naturals small breed puppy from the breeder but we switched her off of that as soon as we could.
  • Moshi eats Chicken and rice (with peas and alfalfa shoots) a third of the time, posh kibble another third and generic crappy wet food the other third. Variation is the key, he can like one food for a week or two then he gets bored and needs another...
  • ... oh he also eats sardines, pilchard or mackerel a couple of times a week...
  • SayaSaya
    Oh yummy Sardines and mackerel saya loves those caned cooked or raw. =)

Bella my boxer eats wellness core ocean kibble and she also gets Totw lamb kind with it I'm slowly transitioning to see how she does on it.

She also gets sardines, caned salmon, raw eggs in her kibble once a week also gets cooked meats and broth and caned dog food sometimes, but not often.

She gets a chicken quarter twice a week and sometimes she gets pork ribs and she usually gets a bit of boneless meat with her quarter or tiny bit of liver or kidney instead of kibble for dinner.
    Photobucket
  • sunyatasunyata
    Ugh... Sardines. :-/

My two LOVE sardines. Me, I personally think they qualify as one of the nastiest things in the world. But I love my Sheebs, so they get sardines. They are especially excellent for training.

As for regular diet, my girls get fed Taste of the Wild, either the salmon or the lamb, depending on which part of their rotation they are in. They also get a wide variety of treats, chews, veggies, fruits, cheese, etc. for training or fun.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • vnovikovavnovikova
    Nami was raw fed since she was at the breeder's. We have her on Nature's variety pre-made raw for breakfast and dinner and some meaty bones or organs for lunch. The only supplement we use is Grizzly Salmon fish oil. She also gets Wellness for puppies as treats and stuffing for her toys. Her most favorite proteins so far are venison, lamb and bison...haven't tried rabbit, as it's pricey....
  • Luis DiazLuis Diaz
    Bubba has food allergies so he eats a specific brand with 4-5 different flavors. I tested Bubba for allergies when I got him and found out the Miami landscape is notorious for his allergies. Grass, plants, among other things. He also can't eat lots of foods that contain, grain, milk, turkey and other things. If he does eat something with those ingredients he will not stop scratching or chewing on himself for days/weeks. So he eats Natural Balance with the allergy stamp on them. Some of the flavors he eats is Venison and Sweet Potato, Duck and Potato, Chicken and Fish.
  • Akai is fed Wellness Core. We got him as an adult and fed him Solid Gold's Barking at Moon (grain free), but the protein levels in his urine were high, so we switched to Wellness. He is not really motivated by food, even treats sometime. Oftentimes, I have to coax him to eat more before we go to bed. He gets some treats, but I break them into small pieces. We like Zuke's and Charlee Bear's brands for treats, plus he always has a bully stick!
  • MegaenMegaen
    I was feeding mine blue buffalo but recently switched to wellness core
  • MikadoMikado
    Miki eats Orijen Puppy, which seems to be hit or miss for pups, either they are great on it, or not at all...Miki is amazing on it, loves it, no allergies, good stools as well.
  • SayaSaya
    I'm posting this here since it's similar to my Q

I was looking to try Before Grain kibble do anyone feed it what kind if so?

What size are the kibble small or decent size.. I remember trying fromm and the kibble was small reminded me of kitty food kinda..

This question is for Bella the boxer..

She does fine with Totw bison/deer lamb and their duck plus wellness core ocean fish.

Since recall I don't plan to feed diamond kibbles ever..

I thought I'd try the before grain not sure which first probably bison then the chicken if they got one..

I plan feed it part of rotation. Price wise is it good? Big bag of wellness core shot up $7 since last got it or maybe not anyways it's 69$ now.. it lasts a whole month for Bella so not too bad even with price hike. to be expected with higher gas and stuff.
    Photobucket
  • MomooMomoo
    Kimi eats Orijen puppy in the morning and in the evening premade raw.
  • franklinfranklin
    Franklin eats Wellness lamb, barley & salmon kibble and Merrick Whole Earth Farms puppy formula with a little bit of fish oil. His poops are regular and he is growing like a weed!
  • InoushiInoushi
    @saya from what I understand, only large breed puppy is manufactored at diamond. Though I am considering a switch due to some other negative press that was brought to my attention. My only issue though is the ferret, not sure of another good brand of kibble for him. Anyone with suggestions for grain free dog brands and cat brands would be really awesome.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Here's my list of what the Bows have eaten before, with bolded brands in regular rotation:

Hill's Science Diet (Bowdu's first years), Kibbles 'n' Bits Wholesome Medley (Bowpi with her previous owner), Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo, Canidae, Taste of the Wild, Wellness, Orijen, Acana, Timberwolf, EVO, Primal Raw, Sojos, Grandma Lucy's, Honest Kitchen, Smallbatch (local raw), Freshpet / Vital, raw turkey (especially necks, tails, organs), raw chicken (all parts), raw whole sardines, raw whole mackerel, raw whole anchovies, raw smelt (rejected), raw quail, raw ostrich, raw pork, beef (found that both dogs do NOT do well with beef), raw duck, raw rabbit (two meats that the boy doesn't want fed to the dogs, so don't tell him), raw grinds from Creston Valley Meat with home-added supplements, Castor & Pollux Organix, Halo, Great Life, Fromm, Pinnacle, and of course home-cooked recipes and the occasional appropriate human dinner leftovers.

Whew, I think that's it.

I'm a little stuck right now on a replacement brand for TotW, though California was not affected by the huge Diamond recall (thus far!). TotW Pacific Stream is one of our primary kibbles on rotation since the price is extremely reasonable for its quality. I have not yet found a comparable grain-free, fish-based kibble in terms of cost.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-07-02 23:00:48
  • SayaSaya
    Yeah I know only large breed was affected I'm sticking to wellness core ocean, but I know there's some here who feed before grain so I thought I'd ask how is the kibble size..

I'll probably just stock up on chicken quarters, and pork ribs and give that to Bella as dinner to cut costs.. I'll add bit of organ or boneless with bone in to make it a good meal.
    Photobucket
  • InoushiInoushi
    My main issue was that I found out wellness sources its taurine and vitamin C from china. That bothers me, because they charge top dollar, yet are cutting costs. Taurine is so important, especially for my ferret, and seeing it sourced from there is very alarming. I also had noticed they stopped saying human grade on their brand, because it became known it wasn't. Finding this out in the wake of them using diamond to process one brand of their food (same company that keeps having trouble), is leaving a very sour taste in my mouth. Right now my only other ferret option is Evo, maybe solid gold, I need to do research. I hope they correct this, and I can go back to trusting them. All of my pets do so well on it.
  • LosechLosech
    @Inoushi There is only one dog food brand legally allowed to say human-grade and that's The Honest Kitchen. Any others who say that are lying. In fact, Innova had a lawsuit last year(?) about that.
    Post edited by Losech at 2012-05-15 23:23:27
  • KitsuKitsu
    Anything can be legally named "Human-Grade" as long as it is produced in a plant/factory that also produces human food. The food could be utter crap, and still be labelled human grade.
  • tobysmomtobysmom
    Well with Nikita being allergic to wheat and Toby being so picky (he won't even eat raw) we were hoping to use Taste of Wild but Toby wouldn't touch it so we use 4Health from tractor supply any of the wheat free ones since we change it every 2-3 months for Nikita
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    @inoushi, Solid Gold cat is supposed to be really good for ferrets
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • midranger4midranger4
    Max and Maya were hard to please with dog food. They are accustomed to eating what I do but I'm moving away from this practice (curtailing not ceasing). Anyway it took me months before Newman's Own became their supplementary wet and dry food. They pick at both and I waste alot of canned food because I only leave it down from morning till I see them after work when I trash the remaining wet food (I put out one can in the morning, usually half is gone), change their water, and top off their kibble (they eat about a cup or two a day).

I continue to try new foods if it I've read something recommending a product or the ingredients interest me.. I haven't fared well trying to get some variety in their diets.

Today, on a lark, I noticed wal mart added a refrigerated section for pet foods and I picked up a 1.75lb bag of FreshPet Select Chicken recipe with carrots and spinach. I put down half the bag in their wet food bowl. The best way to describe this stuff is soft kibble with roasted chicken and veggies throughout. I served it as I purchased it...chilled. Well they devoured it and Max, who is seldom vocal asked for seconds when I went for the empty bowl to clean it. I put down the remainder and they knocked off about half of that then both of them jumped in bed with me and passed out looking very content:)

I'm going to try it again in a few days to see if their interest is still there. But for tonight I hit a home run and these two couldn't be happier :)
  • SayaSaya
    Fresh pet is pretty good stuff has more moisture in it. :)

I didn't know that about wellness.. I know dogster on food and nutrition had someone asking about vitamins coming from china.. :\

Ah well.

Saya doesn't need worry since she is on raw diet..

Anyways anyone here know the size of this kibble just wondering if it's size of wellness core or small like fromm?
    Photobucket
  • hiropuppyhiropuppy
    we feed acana - ranchlands >grasslands>pacifica. hiro has chicken sensitivities, so we stay away from the chicken one. he actually HATES pacifica for unknown reasons, but has shown interest in our new pup's TOTW fish kibble, so we might rotate that in... or might go back to using grizzly salmon oil.

right now, hiro gets solid gold seameal w/ his kibble, and a topper of either 1 or 1/2 patty of stella and chewie's (beef, surf n turf, lamb, or duck) or a small handful of ziwipeak.

occasionally, he will get a "gourmet" meal of some white rice, seaweed, and very lightly cooked unseasoned salmon, and the occasional fried/scrambled/hardboiled egg.
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    Ryu came on some other kibble I can't remember what it was now. We couldn't find it in our area. We switched him to Wellness Small Breed Just for Puppy, and for the last month or so he has been on Wellness Core.

I have heard bits and peices about this recall with Diamond, but I am confused as to why Wellness is taking heat too. If anyone could post a link to an article or sum up the recent issues I would appreciate it.
  • BootzBootz
    @RyuDragon,

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/wellness-dog-food-recall/

dogfoodadvisor has all the recalls posted on the lefthandside.

From what I read, Wellness uses (or used if you believe their claim) products made by Diamond, the company responsible for the recalls at the moment.
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    @Bootz thanks for the link
  • kobnjkobnj
    I switched my male shiba to Wellness Complete Health Super Mix Chicken Receipt a couple of months ago. I have seen a big change in his coat as its softer and more healthy looking. He also has better stool and more engery.
  • shibanikeshibanike
    Ella was originally on ProPlan Lamb and Rice. She's been having allergy issues so we thought we'd try going grain free. First tried Acana Pacifica. She hated it. Just tried Acana Ranchlands and she seems to be gobbling it up. I think we might try Grasslands next to change it up.
    Post edited by shibanike at 2012-06-06 08:33:05
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    The Shibas and Akita eat raw chicken with bones. Now we're in a rotation that is heavy on leg quarters and thighs, but also some necks and backs. They also get eggs, fish oil, cheese for snacks/to hide pills in. They get a lot of table scraps.

toby eats white fish (he's on a diet) boneless fillets. Usually tilapia. He also gets mixed veggies (frozen), with some pumpkin.

The Kai Ken is still eating dog food because he's a baby. He is eating a mix of taste of the wild kibble with merricks puppy kibble, and some premade raw and some cut up raw chicken without the bones as he's having trouble with the bones still. He much prefers the meat to the kibble/premade raw, though!
  • ShibaToshiShibaToshi
    My 9 week old Shiba eats the HALO Spot's Stew Chicken Recipe Puppy Food. Toshi seems to love it. He's eating quite a bit of it. For treats, I give him the Pup-Peroni, Bacon flavour. He seems to love that one too. I have given him a few raw hides to chew on. His teeth are extremely sharp and I've been having a lot of scratches from his teeth on my arms and hands.

This is the HALO food I give my pup: http://www.petco.com/product/104987/Halo-Spots-Stew-Chicken-Recipe-Puppy-Food.aspx
    Post edited by ShibaToshi at 2012-06-07 01:25:35
  • I've changed foods with Marou 6 times(Orijin puppy, several Blue Buffalo kinds, Evanger's, Wellness). As of now I'm rotating Acana Pacifica, Acana Grasslands, and California Natural Kangaroo and Lentils. I also give him hard boiled eggs, smashed sweet potato, and greek yogurt.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)