For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Nervous about bugs
  • euphaireeuphaire
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-06-06 14:48:29
  • zoezoezoezoe
    Zoey goes potty in the backyard where all the mosquitoes hang out. I'm not sure if she got bit but one night she went pretty crazy scratching herself and trying to bite the air (I don't know if she actually spotted the mosquito or not). The whole night she was scared and kept looking around for the mosquito inside the house. The next morning there were so many dried tears by her eyes.... I felt so bad. This went on for another day or two... she was scared inside the house and outside but after that she must have forgotten and she's been ok since.
  • bobc33bobc33
    Huuummmm, Shadow got stung by a bee while pooping and then immediately had an anal gland burst. Quite a double whammy for him and he was scared, paniced and bewildered. He spent the rest of the day hiding inside the house. The vet said give him benadryl which helped a little. The next morning he was fine.

Since then he sometimes gets spooked by flies, mosquitos..... and will go into panic mode, though thankfully not to the same degree or for as long.

Scout on the other hand tries to get every bee, flie.... she sees and never is bothered.
  • euphaireeuphaire
    I check Kidou very carefully everyday after every walk. I don't think Kidou's been ever bitten by a bug. He's just worried about them instinctively. Not so much panic. Just keeps watching intensely and not wanting to move when we're outside.
    So is there anything I can do to help him? Or it's just the way it is and I can't do much?
  • SayaSaya
  • LosechLosech
    Conker was suddenly afraid of a fly one night. Out of the blue, he wouldn't go into my room and if I dragged him in there he began to shake. He's never acted like that before, but after I removed the fly he was fine. They don't bother him anymore.

Can you distract him with something? A really tasty treat like cheese? That might help, if he can figure out that bugs=cheese so there mustn't be much to be afraid of.
  • shibahiroshibahiro
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    Yeah they don't always know what's good to stay away from. Most Shibas love motion and some to the point the get a little obsessed with the buzzing of the small insects, even fruit fly sized gnats. Some are little more nutty about it than others. : /
    Try distracting, however, be warned that does not always work. For the worst case dogs I got a tennis racket bug zapper to help catch the flies etc.... I go around with the dog to find any flies if one gets in the house. Distraction and focus didn't really work so I had to take it a different direction. Seems to work in the fact that they are actually working with you to solve the problem of getting the annoying flying pest. My female shiba will actually will come to get me if there is a nemesis that happens to get in the house (lol).

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2011-06-07 10:48:48

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)