For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Throwing up
  • vnovikovavnovikova
    Nami threw up 3 times today, the first time at night and two more times after she ate breakfast within about 2 hours after it. She came over and layed down with her belly up for me to massage her tummy. I could hear her stomach gurgling. Then a little bit later she threw up again. I'm not sure if I should be worried and call the vet or it's just a simple stomach upset that will go away on it's own. She was pretty mopey afterwards and now is playing but not as crazy as she usually can.
  • SayaSaya
    What is the threw up like does it have food or bile?

Has she been drinking and peeing or pooping?

Has Nami got into anything ate something she shouldn't? I dunno hope it's just a stomach bug.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • vnovikovavnovikova
    It's just a little bit at a time and liquidy, no food chunks or bile. She's been drinking, pooping and peeing regularly with no issues. We have a vets appointment today at 5:30 for vaccinations, so I'll have the vet check her out as well. Yesterday we were running around a baseball field and she found a piece of burger in a grass, I took it away and it was full of maggots ****ewwwwww****, I didn't think she swallowed any, but that might have been the culprit. Besides that no other unauthorized food.
  • TengaiTengai
    Wouldnt worry too much at this point. Prob the burger. Most dogs especially raw fed should be able to handle some spoiled meat. If she still not 100% by the vet visit I would hold off on the vaccines though.
  • vnovikovavnovikova
    Phil, she's much better and back to her crazy playfull self. Her poop is solid and she is drinking water. I guess it was just a little tummy upset. I'll have the vet check her out anyway and will hold off the vaccinations if anything.
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    hiro started throwing up last night... he threw up his dinner 5+ hours later... and then threw up a couple times after that after drinking some water. my dad told me he threw up twice this morning. =( i'm dropping him off at the vet tomorrow.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Might want to take him to the vet today instead. Throwing up that much in such a short time is very taxing... I would get him in as soon as possible instead of waiting.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • rubyruby
    I agree w/sunyata. That is more than just something "not agreeing" with him. With it being summer they can get dehydrated really fast, too.
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Yeah, I waited on taking Bel into the vet with her vomiting because I thought I could, and I wish I hadn't. She was severely dehydrated by the time I got her in, and is on an IV now. Best to take them in quickly, especially if they can't hold down water, which suggests kidney or liver problems. (might not be that, but it could, and better to get them in before they are too dehydrated).
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    i was able to take him to the vet yesterday instead of today. he stopped throwing up after yesterday morning. but then he had really bad case of diarrhea. i had to clean it up in the house. =( good news, doc wasn't able to find anything wrong, no dehydration. he did a giardia test, that came out negative. hiro's on a chicken/rice diet until his tummy settles. the doc gave him some meds and told me to give him 5 mg of pepcid every 12 hours for 5 days.

also, when i told the vet he's on a raw diet, he said "i get nervous when i hear that"
    Post edited by shibahiro at 2012-07-11 08:39:41
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Yeah, so many vets say that. Like my vet wanted to blame Bel's vomiting on her diet, suggesting she got something from her raw chicken. But all the dogs eat the same food, and she's the only one who is sick, and in fact, it's clear the vomiting is from a chronic kidney problem, not from food. But they still say that. (and we will have to change her diet because of her health issues, but that is for different reasons)

Funny, though, I was introduced to the BARF diet by a vet 15 years ago. But of course, those kinds of vets are few and far between.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-07-12 16:54:59
  • SayaSaya
    Hope Hiro is feeling better soon. Saya once had bad diareah she somehow managed to poop out of her crate without getting it inside her crate.. poor pup.

Not sure why probably got into something she shouldn't luckily she got better.

She never vomited except for regurgitating due to not crunching the food or swallowing too big of piece.

She regurgitate the pre made raw because I gave it thawed and she went to town on it swallowed the whole nugget she upchucked and ate it correctly..

She has had rocket butt before rocket butt= Liquid poop Diarrhea..

He had loose poop or diarrhea?

When Saya had rocket butt I think it was too much of new thing or too much treats or kibble.

I gave her meal of de skined bone in chicken drumstick or thigh till she had normal poop then I got her back on normal meals..

Do you feed pre made or DIY?

Chicken and rice is usually what people recommend my vet in New Orleans did..

Seemed to help with my past dogs who were on kibble.

probiotics human or dog grade should be fine.. not sure what human are ok, but ark naturals gentle digest seems to help from what I read.

Yogurt even plain greek or kind with probiotics not good due some or most dogs don't do well with dairy and stuff some do, but I think it'd be best to do probiotics or prebiotics. Help get the gut in order.

Hope he feels better.

a lot of vets don't like raw don't blame them if they had no good experiences with it not many vets qualify for nutrition kibble let alone home cooking or raw.

Not sure what my vet think they haven't asked.

They will blame raw, but not try figure out what it really is could be though if the meat is bad or off? I dunno.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    Hiro is a lot better. I'm feeding Hiro DIY raw. I've been feeding him ZiwiPeaks for the past couple days. I hope he's still okay when I start giving him raw again.
  • Hopefully someone can help....our pup, Kenji (5 months) has vomited 3 times in the past 2 days. I tried a new treat, and thought that the first time it was due to the treat not agreeing with him. Now I'm not so sure. There was vomit (food vomit) when I got him from the crate this morning, and just about an hour ago he threw up again (food, both chewed and whole). I called the vet, but of course just my luck, they are closed already. He's acting normal, sleeping/playing, etc. the vomiting has me concerned, though. Any suggestions on what I can try? I've read so many posts here, but most are for "non food" vomiting. Thanks so much.
  • JuniJuni
    Is it on the morning he has thrown up or any time? If it is mornings it could be more related to acidity. Is he wolfing down his food too fast? How is his pooping?
    I've learned that Juni can't eat too many different type of treats or types of protein in one day without getting loose bowels.
    You can try and give him very small portions of something easily digested, like boiled chicken or white fish. Like a spoonful every second hour or so, until you know he keeps it down.
  • Eh, at first I was typing maybe because he's a puppy, he might have gotten into something, but now I'm thinking it's his food, especially if he's vomiting both thrown up and whole food.

Did you change foods recently? You have to gradually wean them off one and onto the other by changing the ratios of the food over about two weeks. Plus, he should DEFINITELY still be on puppy kibble. Our breeder advised us about our pup's issues with certain allergens -- corn, soy, wheat -- so we have a puppy kibble without those things. Puppies need a higher protein content.

Something helpful for your vet: keep a little food diary if you do go the chicken/rice route to get him to start eating again. Watch what portions you prepare and how much he eats. They can calculate exactly how many calories he's getting, and whether or not you need to adjust his intake (assuming he keeps it down).

Good luck! :)
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. ~Lao Tzu
  • Thanks everyone! I spoke to the breeder, and it seems more likely it was caused by something he got into. He loves chewing sticks/leaves, etc in the backyard. He's still on puppy kibble, along with a grain free salmon kibble. We introduced the new kibble gradually, and he's been on the salmon for quite some time. Today I literally watched him take every bite of food, and he does eat rather quickly. He burped up a little kibble, so now I'm thinking it could also be that he is eating too quickly. No more vomiting per se, so that's a good thing. I appreciate all of the responses.....I learn more and more every day.
  • Two suggestions for rapid eating...1) a bowl that prevents it (it's shaped like a donut so he has to eat around the middle) or 2) a kong wobbler so he only gets 2-8 pieces of kibble at a time.
  • Thank you, Banjo.....I'll look online while I'm ordering his new harness. Thanks again!
  • RooneyRooney
    @Shiba4us My friend had a whippet/lab mix that gets sick from eating his food too fast. They got him a multi-tiered dog bone shaped feeder. Here's a link to it on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Company-Animals-Ottosson-Tornado-Interactive/dp/B001KZ8FWE

It really slows him down and has been very effective for them/him. If you can't find the donut shaped bowl that Banjo suggested, then that would also be a potential option. I did a Google search trying to find the specific one they have and it looks like there are a lot of interactive options, so just find the right one for you/him. :)

Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • kyushukyushu
    Akira eats too fast, and can only eat out of a slow feed bowl or a kong wobbler. Here's the link to the shape we use.
    http://www.chewy.com/dog/jw-pet-skid-stop-slow-feed-bowl/dp/40252?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=none&utm_term=&gclid=CPHJ34O7mcECFccRMwodq3kAHg

She has not thrown up since we slowed down her eating.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @MissSea - Just want to correct a couple of misconceptions that you stated.

First off, vomiting both partially digested and whole pieces of kibble is usually indicative of something other than digestive upset from a change in food. Food intolerance is often manifested from the other end of the digestive system (diarrhea, gas, loose stools, etc.). The standard rule of thumb in my house is if the dog vomits on more than two occasions in a 24 hour period, off to the vet we go.

Second, puppies (especially smaller breed puppies) do NOT need to be on puppy food. An all life stages food is fine for a Shiba puppy.

Also, the biggest difference between puppy/reproduction food and standard adult maintenance food is not protein, but the minerals such as calcium, sodium, chloride, etc. But an all life stages food has to meet the standards of both puppy and adult food, so it will have everything a puppy needs.

Here is a pretty decent article that explains it:
    http://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutritionnuggets/dr-coates/2014/april/debate-over-all-life-stage-dog-foods-31604

Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Thank you everyone. There's been no more vomiting, so for that I am thankful. Kenji is currently on a mix of foods, and has been eating the mix for quite some time. It consists of puppy kibble (same as the breeder introduced) and Puppy salmon kibble (which we introduced slowly). I'm confident that it's not the food itself, but rather something he got into. I do tend to notice him gobbling down his food, which is often accompanied by a burp or two. =) I'm going to try to slow him down by using one of the suggested bowls above. Off to Amazon. Thanks again, I really appreciate all of the awesome advice on this forum!
  • Something to think about that many people (at least in my community - I've come to learn) don't consider... trees, flowers, bushes...

There are quite a few poisonous to dogs plants in my condo community that I've noticed in the past couple of months, as I've learned more on the topic.... we had a throw up sesh once after Nym ate a few rowan berries.

I've been an avid gardener for the past couple of years, so I know how to recognize most of the plants in my area, and before we got Nym I researched the major toxic ones, but other dog owners in the community had no idea that there were potential toxins right in their front yard. And I'm constantly learning more as I've researched.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)