For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Sudden Food Aggression!
  • JessJess
    Well I guess it's not so sudden, but we just never noticed it before.

Kuma has never in his life displayed any food aggression. We were very careful as a puppy to make sure he was ok with us putting our hands near his dish/handling his food etc.

Unfortunately though, because none of our friends have dogs, we were never put in the situation where we had to feed Kuma around another dog. Well recently we met a couple with a husky and have been hanging out a lot. The other day, Kuma and Loki were eating a treat togegther and Kuma FLIPPED out. Starting screaming and trying to take Loki's treat even though he had a treat already that he hadn't even finished. We'd NEVER seen this before because of lack of opportunity I suppose.

Now I am wondering... Loki and his owners are coming to our place tomorrow night for a BBQ and I am hoping that we can use Loki to help train Kuma's bad "Omg I want all the food in the world and no other dog should eat but me" attitude.

How abouts should we go doing this? Loki was really calm throughout the whole incident luckily and his owners are more than willing to help us.. just not sure how we should go about breaking this bad behaviour.

Ideas?

[mod edit: re-categorized due to addition of new category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-06-06 10:07:00
  • JessJess
    Oh! I'd also like to add that Kuma has always loved being around other dogs. I've never seen him growl, snap or do anything (besides bark) at another dog before... It's like the second food comes into the equation a switch snaps. He doesn't have any problems if another dog takes his toys either. Unless it's like.. a bone he can eat.
  • jujeejujee
    You should probably separate them while feeding or giving them anything, especially if it's going to be at Kuma's "home".

Overtime my dogs are able to not care when the other is around their food. Kyuubi will still guard stuff from Mika, but those items that I know he will guard I will give to him in his crate. He still barks and growls if Mika walks by.

I haven't dealt with major resource guarding because I try to not let it escalate and separate them when they get something they feel they need to guard. Hopefully someone who has dealt with multiple dogs guarding food can chime in.
  • LosechLosech
    Conker is very food aggressive with stuff that is his. I decided to feed him in the backyard one day and he ran 30 feet across my back deck and latched onto Juneau's face and wouldn't let go. Juneau had only poked her head through the garage door, I didn't even see her. Conker gets fed in my room with the door closed now.
    He will try to steal food from the girls but doesn't get violent unless he actually has the chance to claim one of their bowls. With stuff I hand them, he just gets angry when I don't give him any. He won't try to take them.

If you give them treats or chews try to do it in separate rooms or at least where they can't see each other and keep them that way until they are both finished until you can figure this thing out.
  • InoushiInoushi
    Free feeding my dogs kibble, really eliminated most food aggression. My shiba is too bold with food, and will even fight over water on a really hot day. In order to curb it down with the few rare items he likes to guard/steal, I trained him to sit in place away from my other dog. He wasn't allowed food if he came too close to her, and if he became aggressive he got no food at all. It also helps if you give them pieces they can eat in one bite. I find its easier to keep them two-three feet apart when they are eating high value treats when I can toss it directly into their mouths. My dog will usually become too fixated on my hand to get worked up, and if he decides to investigate the other dog, she is already done and I can easily get him back in place with words. Just avoid having them in the same room when it comes to stuff that takes more then a snap to consume. My shiba will often take one hasty bite, try to steal from my older girl, then return to his after none of her's is left, and will guard his own food fiercely.
  • RSierackiRSieracki
    Whenever we have guests over and they bring their dogs, we always feed them separately. It's just easier that way and it eliminates any potential scuffles. I also pick up any bones or chewy treats that Ginger might have laying around. She's not food aggressive, but our good friends' dog is so we definitely let the dogs have their dinner time separately. If you give out treats, make sure you treat all the dogs at the same time or even treat them separately. And don't feel bad about Kuma! Just try feeding separately and when all the dishes are up, release them back to one another!
  • MarijeMarije
    When Shiro and I moved in with my boyfriend and his 2 huskies we had some issues with food aggression too. Shiro would not let the female husky anywhere near him, or so much as look at his food bowl at feeding time. We decided to feed each dog in a separate corner of the kitchen so they have enough space to eat and don't have to be scared the other one is interested in their food, and we never let them wander until all 3 of them were done eating. They now got used to each other and the husky girl can pass by Shiro even when he is still eating, as long as she doesn't show interest in his food. She knows his temperament by now and is careful not to set him off, which is amazing! When I give them chewy treats that take a while to finish I still prefer to keep Shiro in a separate room, although I have had success with putting him in his bed with his treat (in the same room as the huskies) and not allow him to leave until they all finish the treat or until treat time is over. If you do feed them close together, be very aware of any signs that trouble is afoot, Shiro would for example give this fierce stare with his head down and 1 second later he'd be on a mission. Or just don't let them leave their spots, but you have to have great control over your Shiba, because they are so fast.
    Good luck!
  • So, Kaya has started showing some aggression when chewing a bone or bully stick she really likes. When I've gone to take it away from her, she'll growl and sometimes bite my hand. It's not a hard bite at all - more mouthing than anything, but I can tell she's NOT happy. My plan is the following:

Every time she's chewing something (especially when she's REALLY into it), I'll put my hand right in her face and give her a tiny treat. Occasionally, I'll take her bully stick or bone away from her for a few seconds, and then give it right back to her - giving her a treat almost every time. This way, she'll come to see my hand in her face as a GOOD thing, and not an "Oh my god, mom is taking away my bone!" sort of thing. We're working on "drop it" as well.

Is this the best way to handle it? Should I be really alarmed? I don't want to NOT give her bones or bully sticks, since she enjoys them so much, but I need to nip this aggression in the bud before it gets more serious!
  • BootzBootz
    @Hummingbird, I want to start off by saying. KAYA IS SO CUTE.

Have you teached her the "leave it" command?
    Bootz use to be like Kaya as a puppy. My bf wanted to stop giving her bully sticks because that triggered her aggression. But instead, I worked with her slowly. I started the leave it command with simple treats first, rewarded her with a treat in my hand, and then gave her the treat that she had to leave alone with the "Okay!" command. As she got it down, I would change the treats to a higher valued item until I reached the bullystick. Bootz never bite us but she would growl + lunge at her bullystick as if to warn us to back away. But after weeks of training, I can take away the bullystick without any problem. No wrinkle face...no teeth baring! Strangers can also take away her bullystick as well. She usually has a "o_o can I have it back now?" look. lol.
  • SayaSaya
    This book might be useful on this.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mine-Practical-Guide-Resource-Guarding/dp/0970562942/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328913609&sr=8-3

What you did sounds like trading which is good shows the dog if you give up the bully stick you get a yummy treat and the bully stick back.

like Bootz said leave it command will help and drop it is good to teach too.

I'd work with lower value items and slowly work up to higher valued items.

Bella used to resource guard raw food higher valued then dry kibble. She would be tense and eat bit faster and if I was too close for comfort she would growl.

I worked with her and she learned when she has her raw food she eats in peace. I mean come on raw chicken quarter or tongue no way would I want that!

Coarse dogs don't know that.

She already knew leave it and drop it so I slowly worked on it I had her drop it she got a tiny bit of liver or boneless meat or dog biscuit and let her go back to eating I worked up to doing few it few times during the meal.

Once she got better I did drop it then leave it she left the food for a bit then I had her go back to eating and later on I got to point where I could get the chicken quarter and look at it and stuff and handed it back to her.

Coarse your dog isn't Bella so what worked for her might not work for your dog.

Working on trading helps bully stick is getting too tiny almost gulp able size get a yummy dog treat or another chewy and offer that up and then take the bully stick.

I hope things improve soon it might take some time resource guarding can happen and it can be worked with.

Maybe the book will have better advice for you on this.

I'm lucky Saya doesn't resource guard at all with me not even with her raw food.

She will resource guard with cats or other dogs with her food, but I understand that as she thinks they want to get her yummy item.

Bella is a smart dog and never bothers her when eating and the dogs don't play musical chew toys like our past dogs which caused arguments. :\
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)