For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
walking after feeding
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    I was just curious to find out how long you wait to take your dog out for a walk after feeding and also how long of a walk you go on.

We have 3 shibas and they are all a bit different in their schedules. The oldest (3.5yrs) She needs any where from 5 to 15 minutes for her walk. Next (2.5 yrs) He takes 5 - 10 minutes for his walk and the youngest 8 months varies anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. We usually take the older dogs out first and the youngest(Hoshi) last. Hoshi still seems to have no schedule for "Poo" outings.

I was recently told that it is best to wait about 30 minutes after feeding to take them for a walk and to also walk slow and not to let them pull.
  • LosechLosech
    I generally get Conker to chill for 30 minutes after eating since in the past he has barfed stuff up right after eating then running around like mad.
    I wait until about an hour to go on long walks, but after 30 minutes I'll go for shorter ones. If heavy exercise, rough play or lots of running is expected, I like to wait at two hours.
    I don't know if it's the same with dogs, but I never feel good if I've just eaten then get up and walk a lot or exercise.
  • vnovikovavnovikova
    I walk Nami before she eats usually, her appetite is better that way and she plays a little bit afterwards in the house then goes to sleep, once she wakes up, whenever that it, about 2 hrs, I'd take her for a walk.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I exercise mine before they eat. It is more comfortable for them to play on an empty stomach.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • bobc33bobc33
    I come home for lunch to be with my two, and have found what works best for them is a 15 minute stroll around the block and through the woods and then home to eat. I come home from work about 4.5 hours later and take them out almost immediately for another walk, but they never seem to be in a rush to get out. I think they sleep at least 90% of the time I'm gone.
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    Vnovikova, I swear Foxi & Nami are the same!!! That seems to be our routine as well.
  • InoushiInoushi
    I let my boy free feed, and he tends to eat a little while before we go on a walk, though in the winter he used to nibble a right before we left. These days, he's been eating after he cools down from a walk.
  • comihacomiha
    Bumping this thread, as I'm having trouble coming up with a routine for Bodhi (13 weeks).

Right now, we go out as soon as he wakes up for a potty break, followed by breakfast and a longer walk. That said, he doesn't seem to eat much for breakfast, and seems hungry by mid-day.

As far as dinner, I've been trying walks before/after dinner, but am unsure of what the best routine is. It seems like he is hungrier after his walk, but also is much more easily distracted as he's sniffing/chewing on everything in sight if he hasn't had dinner beforehand.

Any suggestions/example food/exercise schedules would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I now have two dogs ...

Our routine is the morning walk (usually around an hour long), then they usually spend 10-15 minutes chaotically chasing each other in the Shiba 500 after the walk, if they are too frantic and using the couch to bank off of they get put in their crates to settle down. Once they have settled down for 10-15 minutes I feed them breakfast. Often my picky eater who doesn't even like to walk in the morning will skip this meal.

I have read that for some dogs it is not good to feed them right after exercise, but for us it hasn't seemed to present an issue and works better for our schedule than feeding them right before the exercise. All together I have at best 1.5 hours in the morning to get their walk and feeding in before I have to orient myself to getting ready for work, so long gaps between eating and exercise really are not practical for us.

In the evenings we also always walk and allow play session before the evening meal. They also get play and attention after everyone eats in the evening.

Overall, as I think about it, most often they are fed twice a day and typically 10-15 minutes after the bigger walk/play sessions. In the evening if they are going to training class that falls near or after the usual eating time frame, I will give them a small meal before so they aren't distracted by hunger during the training. I don't believe a dog needs to be hungry to be motivated to train.

I think everyone is different though and it can be fluid based on your schedule and how your dogs handle food.
  • JuniJuni
    @comiha since your pup is only 13 weeks and seem hungry I would feed more than twice a day. You can give an extra small snack before bedtime too if needed.
    Otherwise concerning eating and exercise I think the biggest worry is 'turning the stomach or the intestines' (sorry don't know the correct term in English) which I belive is mainly a concern for large breeds. I try to wait about 20 minutes in between exercise and food.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    We would usually wait about 20-30 mins after feeding to walk Kobe, but in the last few weeks things have changed. He seems to prefer to have his walk prior to eating.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • BootzBootz
    @comiha, I agree with Juni. Usually with younger puppies I feed them 3 meals a day so they don't become super hungry. Once they get older you can cut it down to 2 meals a day, although I've heard of some owners doing that from the start since their shiba isn't much of an eater.

For my furbabies, I usually put their breakfast down while I get ready for work. Bootz isn't really a morning person so she rarely touches her breakfast. Jackie on the other hand, if she knows we're going on a walk, she will quickly munch on a couple kibble for energy. Then we do our morning walk. I leave their kibble out since they have free roam and go to work.

Once I come back from work, I do our afternoon walk. Then 1-2 hours later I feed them their dinner. Then 2-3 hours after dinner I walk them again before bed.
  • Hoping for some similar input for our 11 week old pup..

She's been with us for a week and so far we have had no #2 accidents inside and only two #1 accidents on the second day so we consider ourselves lucky!

We live on the 4th floor of a condo building so it's a few steps down a hallway to the elevator, then the elevator ride and then we can walk outside to the front where there is grass.

We had been taking her out about every 2-3 hours the first few days, then after observing her, we started 3-3.5 hours. We do our last long walk around 10 pm and then it's crate time for bedtime.

In the mornings, we usually take her out at around 5 am if she's awake and she does #1, then comes back inside and let her play while we nap on the sofa next to her or get ready for work and then feed her around 7:15ish (because the petstore had been feeding her at 8ish and we were trying to slowly adjust her time to earlier). Then we take her for a long walk/play after eating and she goes #1 and #2.

She doesn't use the weewee pads even when left overnight in her area nor does she wet the crate.

My question is.. given that she is a puppy and has been in her crate/pen overnight and can't hold it so long - do we continue to walk her early before her breakfast and then again after breakfast or eventually can this walk be combined when she's a little older or sooner?

Ideally to help with our work schedules, would like her to eat at 6:15 am and be walked for 20 minutes at 6:30 am and only do one morning walk.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated!
  • @FoxyRoxyShiba

The more walks the better. Given that she is a pup, having her adjust to going outside is the best bet of maintaining a fully housebroken pup. Get rid of the pee pad since that can confuse pups on knowing where they're actually supposed to be going.
  • I would take a puppy outside about every hour to two hours when you first get them home, as well as after eating (right away), after playing, and after waking up. As they become more consistent with understanding what you want them to do, it becomes more infrequent and you can extend an hour to 2, 3, 4 hours etc.

My rule of thumb has always been however many months old your dog is = how many hours they can go without a potty break. However, it doesn't hurt to take them out as much as possible during training.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)