For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Why are his paws red and itchy?
  • pamelapamela
    Termi's paws have gotten red and itchy... it first started a few days ago when I noticed he was paying a lot of attention to them. I washed them off to make sure that there wasn't anything stuck in them and it seemed to take care of the issue, so I thought. I came home from work today and they getting red again and missing a bit of the hair in the areas he's biting. I am going to take him to the vet since this problem is not getting any better but I couldn't get an appointment until later in the week. Gave him some Benadryl and he is wearing the cone right now so he doesn't bite them. I am not sure what would have caused this, but when I did some more research it looks just like allergies. I not sure if its something in the grass, his food (or treats) or what it could be. I did change his food about a month ago to a blend of wellness and blue buffalo (the blue buffalo alone was upsetting his stomach). Please help me! I'm going to try to change my appointment to get him in sooner but until then any advice would be very helpful!!
    Pam, Garrett, Termi & Shelby
    Post edited by sunyata at 2012-08-09 09:52:24
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    You are correct in that it is likely allergies. Many Shiba owners on this forum have varying degrees of severity and sensitivity of allergies on their Shibas. Some are mild like food (chicken/grain) or environment (grass), some are a bit more severe like pollen. My preliminary suggestion to you would be to find a grain and chicken-free kibble to try to slowly transition your dog over to (allergies can take days to clear up).

Best of luck,
    Jesse
  • pamelapamela
    Thank you Jesse!! I'm going to try to slowly switch over his food so he doesn't get an upset stomach but what can I do right now for the reaction. I feel so bad for him and I know he's itchy. Is there anything other then Benadryl and the cone that I can do until I get him into the vet's?
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    some vets might be able to prescribe a topical solution, but without a vets consent, I don't know that I would try anything else.Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • johnwlajohnwla
    Haki has grain and chicken allergies and I have him on a pure protein diet (ziwi peak). I noticed about a fortnight ago that he was constantly licking his paws until they were pink and sniffing his hindquarters. I realized that the treats I was giving him were grain based. Once I cut them out, it took about 4 days for his system to clear. I did try childrens bendryl based on my vet's dosage (1 mg per pound).

Hope that Termi feels better soon!
  • InoushiInoushi
    Just to be safe, check him for fleas. Dogs who obsess over there paws can do so when they have an allergy to fleas. My older dog is like that.
  • pamelapamela
    I checked for fleas... not that (thank goodness! The last thing I need is fleas going between Termi and the cat!)
    I switched back to his old food, so we'll see what happens. We have the vet appointment this weekend. Thanks for all your help and advice. I will keep you all posted!
  • pamelapamela
    Here are some pictures of his red paws. He went through the antibiotics from the vet and it started to get better but now he seems to be licking his back paws again. I'm gonna take him to the vet this week but wanted to know what you all think.Pam, Garrett, Termi & Shelby
  • pamelapamela
    Something was wrong with the photos so here is the link to the album in photo-bucket. http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r282/plesowyk/Termi/
    Hope you can all see this.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Quick question for you, Pamela...

Does he walk on concrete/asphalt/cement, or on grass? If he walks on grass, get him some UNSCENTED baby wipes and wipe his paws down after every time he goes outside. If he is having a skin reaction to the grass, this should help. Granted, most things do take a while to see some improvement. So give this a try for a few weeks and see if it helps any.

As for the food... What is he currently on now? And what are the ingredients (protein sources and grain?)?
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • pamelapamela
    Casey,
    He does walk mostly on grass and I just bought the baby wipes to start doing that. I am afraid that its something in the grass and he loves to play in the grass.

His food is salmon and brown rice based pro plan selects. I tried to switch him to a different food and that's when I noticed the reaction. I also give him some salmon and potato canned food every couple days to add some variety (though I can't remember the brand and I'm out right now). He is picky and doesn't like chicken based dog food too much so fish seems to be the way to go with him.

Thanks for your help!!!
  • sunyatasunyata
    Pamela,
    Glad you have started with the baby wipes. Even if he is allergic to the grass, he should still be able to play. Check with your vet if the baby wipes help after a couple of weeks and see if he/she has a suggestion for an antihistamine or something similar.

As for the food. If after a few weeks the baby wipes are not working, I would suggest switching him to a grain free food.

Hopefully though, it is just a grass allergy and can be easily fixed.

Let us know how things go with him!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I'm having total flashbacks to Bowdu's feet last summer. We went in for three rounds of antibiotics (he licked himself so much he kept giving himself secondary infections) before I finally made my vet test his thyroids.

Meanwhile, aside from wiping down his feet with fragrance free baby wipes, I was also giving him Epsom salt foot soaks to draw out infections about every other night, extra fish oil, yucca root extract diluted into his food, and baths with medicated shampoo about 2x a week during the worst of it. Very time consuming. And it took a while for this regimen to show any results. But we've kept up the dietary supplements and the foot wipes, and his feet look nowhere NEAR as bad as they did at this time last year.

Let us know what your vet says... I'd be interested to know if they've learned anything new about allergy management.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • pamelapamela
    When I as at the vet last time he said we could do a round of food allergy testing but once he explained that we needed to make sure Termi had no access to any other food, which would be great if he was the only pet. He's not and Shelby, our cat, is older and has access to her food at all times. Now most of the time Termi doesn't get into her food, but every once in a while I catch him sneaking bites of her food. The vet said allergy testing is an expensive option and kinda painful. I've heard there is a blood test that can be done but my vet doesn't think that it is as reliable. His feet got way better for a while but then got bad again. I'm gonna try the Epsom salt soaks along with wiping his feet off after walks.
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Pamela,
    I looked at Pro Plan Selects Salmon and Brown Rice as the food you mentioned and there are some things regarding the ingredients list that doesn't quite seem to make it clear that it is poultry-free and could possibly still be causing allergic reactions for your dog.

Pro Plan Selects Salmon and Brown Rice: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1391&cat=all

"Animal fat" is of unknown origin and for all you know, that could be chicken fat that exists enough to trigger your dog's allergies.

If it's possible for you, try to find some foods that are explicitly stating "grain-free" and make sure the ingredients don't list unidentified meat sources.

If you're looking for fish-based food because your dog loves it, try Wellness Core-Ocean (http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1742&cat=all) or Taste of The Wild Pacific Stream (http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1286&cat=all) or even Acana Pacifica (http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=2255&cat=all).

Jesse
  • pamelapamela
    Thanks Jesse!
    The pro plan selects is what in was feeding before and had no problems. I switched to blue buffalo because the pet store I go to stopped carrying pro plan. There was no other reason to switch, and I should have just went to a different store. I had heard great things about blue buffalo which is why I decided to switch.
    It almost seems like his paws have become hot spots and he just licks for no reason...
    I will look into the wellness food, thanks for the advice!!
  • ZenkiZenki
    *REZZZZZZZZ*

anyway, i recently noticed red "raw looking" bald spots on Zenki's feet. Do shibas have delayed reaction to certain allergens i.e. developed an allergy to fish? I have fed him the same brand of food since i got him last year. We have also walked the same routes on our walks for a year now so i can't see what 'brand new' allergens he got exposure to.

I will continue to narrow down his exposure to tried and tested things. I will also consult with his vet on friday. In the meantime, are there any safe remedies i can give Zenki or apply on the affected areas?
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• LilikoiLilikoi
    Of course allergies can develop at any time and could be like seasonal or related to fooood... Is it like on the pads of his feet or where the fur should be at other places??

I don't know a tonnn about dogs and allergies, but our family poodle developed allergies when she was like 6 or 7 years old. Possibly to chicken... not positive but now she's doing better on a fish kibble. Her paws would mostly get red and swollen (and itchy) on the pads and between her toes. She also developed very bad seasonal allergies. Taking a daily probiotic really helps her avoid hot spots and ear infections that she often gets because of the allergies. The vet told her over the summer that she had beautiful skin for her age. :o lol. Which was a surprise considering all the issues with massive hot spots that she's had.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-11-07 23:21:04
  • ZenkiZenki
    like the top of his toes above where his nails come out... missing fur (not sure if fur fell out or he licked the area raw. dog probiotics? just did a quick surfing... probiotic food are interesting... kimchi, raw goat milk, kefir and kvass... i wonder if zenki would eat homemade kimchi. hahaha.

This may also be due to my bad habit of letting him have bits of table scrap. One in particular is pork tendons from a pork dish cooked in coconut milk and shirmp paste. i'm such a bad dad. :((
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• LilikoiLilikoi
    Mollie just takes like a probiotic chew daily. I give Ozzy goats milk or plain Greek yogurt every few days usually, but now he actually has a daily chew now that has a probiotic cus he's had some issues with his anal glands. :-S I've been meaning to write about that whole experience in a relevant topic when I've got more time hahah. Cus it's kind of an interesting uh journey.
  • zandramezandrame
    @Zenki, that does sound like allergies. My boy tends to chew the top of his toes as well.
    Winter is not typically big on pollen allergies, so it might be food. You can do a limited diet food trial (remove everything and try a novel new protein). As for remedies, other than pinpointing the allergen and removing/avoiding it, there isn't really anything that just "works," other than medication like Apoquel and Cytopoint. If it continues, I'd suggest seeing a vet dermatologist.

Some other threads with more history,
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/comment/199406#Comment_199406
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/comment/232182#Comment_232182

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)