For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Today's Meetup
  • A few folks and dogs from the Sacramento Shiba Inu Meetup and Sacramento Akita Club got together for a joint photo. See attached.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Looks fun! Anyone we know?

We would still like to go out to one of these someday...
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • @Curytails- Don't think you know anyone in the picture. It was a really busy day at the dog park. There were four meetups at about the same time- French Bulldogs, Italian Greyhounds, Shibas, and Akitas. Also lots of other folks came out w/ their dogs. Fortunately, the park is well designed. There is the small dog side, big dog side, and a small long area for optional use. The Italian Greyhounds were in that area. would be nice to see some of the Bay Area contingent at the meetup. We have had some Bay Area folks show up for past Meetups. Unfortunately, during the summer months, we have to schedule the Meetups relatively early in the morning due to heat issues.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Yeah, and unfortunately Bowdu doesn't do well with large crowds, especially if he's on leash. He also seems to be more tense in fenced-in parks, though this one looks quite spacious from the picture and from your description. Park layout is something I always take into consideration... I'm still tempted to head out to the Shiba picnic, though again I'm not sure if he can behave himself in that crowd. But who knows? He could surprise me -- in a good way.

Anyway, thanks for sharing! The Akitas look gorgeous.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • inubakainubaka
    I'm rather envious of shiba meetups!

When we first were looking into shibas, we went to one in NY state... and while it should have pursuaded me to not get a shiba (so much snark!) I learned so much from their owners.
    Since having several shibas, I've been to a few meetups and everytime there are the arguements between dogs and all kinds of *interesting* faces and sounds. My dogs (thankfully) are never involved in the snarkies but its enough to make me anxious!
    volunteers4paws.wordpress.com
  • @inubaka- One of the greatest Meetup challenges is explaining the somewhat snarky Shiba play style to the owners of other breeds.

As a side note, it really is important to socialize Shibas early on in different settings. Sukoshi has a really mellow temperament and I tried to socialize her a lot. This has paid off tremendously. Even though I don't have children, she got to know children at the dog park and is now very child friendly. (In fact, I have to watch children at the park, because invariably they want to pet her. Somehow she is a child magnet. Most children have been taught to ask about petting another person's dog. ) Hoshi, my almost 14 year old rescue, has been w/ me for a year now. I introduced him to the dog park, but apparently he had not spent much time with other dogs in his past. He's OK at the park so long as there aren't too many dogs and people. I only take him to the park for a short time. He's still a bit jumpy about meeting new people-- in fact the kids across the street have nick-named him "Jumpy" for just this reason. He obviously has not spent a lot of time around children.
  • jujeejujee
    Awesome group pic! :)

The whole playstyle of a shiba has to be told to *new* dog park goers that have not seen our shibas at the park before. Some are afraid of the shibas, but since shibas are becoming so popular in the So Cal area that the whole conversation of a shibas playstyle has decreased and a lot of people are more understanding of their temperaments. We are lucky though that MOST of the shibas in our meetup group are very well socialized or just keep to their humans.