For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Eating bugs?
  • Fawkes702Fawkes702
    Hello! I know that Shibas are small game hunters, but mine chasing bugs like none other. We have cockroaches and crickets around and she just looks for them, and chomps away... it's pretty gross. Is it safe?
  • HollifinaHollifina
    My cats have never had issues with those, so I guess neither will Zume. We tend to get mainly the random Spider and House Centipede and in the past, the cats have hunted them down and eaten them(ants- they seem to dislike). Recently, the dog has caught on and likes to join in the hunt but doesn't get the whole kill and eat aspect the cats do. Instead, she prefers to play with her prey. She does this also with any worms she finds in the backyard, which is a little gross IMHO, but that's because she'll also roll around on them. I haven't noticed any issues other than getting dirty, no "intestinal distress" as it were.

Other small game, like chipmunks, birds, rabbits, squirrels- she has been known to stare down and lunge at while I'm walking her, but I'm trying to deter her before it even gets that far. AFAIK, she's never actually caught anything of this sort yet.
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    I call my female Shiba "the little bug eater" (a name I got out of a novel called The Fox Woman). She chases bugs like crazy. My girl seems to know what to leave alone--she will chase, and pounce on some big beetles but she doesn't eat them. She eats moths and sometimes crickets. She smashes spiders with her front paws. She's never had a problem with it. I think they learn what is ok/not ok (or at least tastes ok/not ok!) She eats all the mammals she catches, but she no longer tries to eat reptiles, though she still kills them.
  • LuckeeSevenLuckeeSeven
    My cat had a problem with roaches when she ate them, they have spiny legs that would get caught in her throat and she would vomit every time she ate one. We had some big suckers where we were in Hawaii though, so I don't know if it was size relevant. I want to say cockroaches are carriers of some diseases if I remember correctly. I would personally be cautious of her eating those in particular.
    Megan and Justin with Renji & Roxy
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    Hiro chases after bugs too..and sometimes eats them..sometimes he spits it out. so far no issues....
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    Hiro ate a spider last night. 30 minutes after he ate it, he started to throw up. He threw up a couple times after that. I was debating whether or not to take him to the vet. After a couple hours of lying down (he looked so miserable) , I took him for a walk and it was like nothing happened! Has this happened to your Shiba before?
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Bugs are perfect puppy food :)

Farrah ate a spider in the middle of the night when she was only a few months old and I woke up to see this ginormously cartoonish swollen face. She looked like Pluto from Disney. After that it was no problems. When I see bugs in the house, particularly spiders, the dogs totally recognize the change in my voice and come racing from wherever they are to save the day and eat it. I love the girls especially because of this.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • LosechLosech
    Conker loves bugs! Always the bad ones, though. Wasps, hobo spiders (look it up if you don't know what it is, they are NASTY!) and other poisonous things. I dunno what it is with him and dangerous bugs, but he doesn't ever seem to bug the "normal" kind.
    The first day I had him, he got stung by something and the whole side of his face swelled up all nastylike. It was... an interesting experience. Thankfully it wasn't anything bad and a quick vet visit solved the problem.
  • MarijeMarije
    Shiro caught a bee and got stung in his mouth, but he didn't learn from it and still frantically chases all flying creatures. Bailey the husky boy is our creeping creatures alarm system. He will follow them with his nose, but I haven't caught him eating any yet. Russia the husky girl got stung by a wasp when she was young and her whole face swelled up. She never tries to catch them anymore :)
    All in all I would say the shiba is the best bug exterminator in the house lol.
  • msegermseger
    My Bella is a bug eater! @ 10 mo old she loves to hunt and eat all bugs and now birds. She has caught and killed a robin, house finch and woodpecker. And any out door carcaus she can get too. Must have a stomach of steel.
  • notoriousscratnotoriousscrat
    Zim=mighty bug hunter. Very problematic when he needs to poop sometimes, because it means he'll get distracted by the bugs. He also likes to chase rabbits and birds. No luck so far, though, with the mouse I think we might have in the kitchen. I kinda figured he'd clear anything like that out but sadly my Shiba is not nearly as efficient of a mouser as any of the cats I've had. C'est la vie.
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    I guess no one's Shiba has gotten sick from eating a spider huh?
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    As I mentioned, her face swelled up. I forgot to mention that she did vomit and did have diarrhea. I have injectable benadryl in my home first aid kit and gave her some (it was after midnight), and it worked great.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Mine are great bug eaters. We've had an infestation of "miller" moths, and there hundreds of them around the windows at night (outside) and Bel just grazes like a cow--she must eat 20 or 30 a night. (The Akita, who imitates her, ate one and made a face--I guess he didn't like the taste. Or maybe it was just a "new food." He's suspicious of new foods).

Bel doesn't eat spiders. She smashes them by jumping on them with her front paws together. They don't eat the big black beetles we have here, either, who emit some sort of smell when approached. But other bugs are fair game. I also call Bel "little big hunter" though she's quite adept at larger prey too.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-05-07 17:58:46
  • RyanRyan
    Bella chases flies, crickets etc. She will bark at spiders, doesn't get very close to them- Maybe she knows to alert us?
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • SayaSaya
    Saya chases crickets and grass hoppers. She also chases flies and will kill them, but she "spitz" flies out. haha :p

She sometimes chases butterflies, but doesn't catch them and once tried go for those big bees luckily I was there to tell her leave it.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • AnnaAnna
    Hammond kept finding groggy bees in my kitchen somehow. He never managed to actually eat one, but he tried. He'll also go crazy for the huge bumble bees outside. He slapped one out of the air with his mouth.

He's also had a blast hunting carpenter ants on his walk (and regretted eating one because I assume by his hilarious reaction that it had pinched his tongue). He'll chase moths, butterflies, and regular flies.

I would be SO HAPPY if he developed a taste for house centipedes because they are one of the bugs I absolutely cannot tolerate and can barely stand to look at. Spiders are fine, though I'll kill them or release them outside, depending on my mood. But those nasty, so-many-legs-they-look-furry centipedes... I just close my eyes and wish they would disappear, but eventually I work up the nerve to squish them. And suppress the urge to scream hysterically while doing so.
  • Umi's mad for it. Nothing she loves more than crunching away on a spider, or a cricket or whatever other bug is unfortunate enough to wander into our backyard. It's a bugbath.
  • kirjohkirjoh
    I try not to let Penny eat a bug that I know is poisonous (no giant spiders, just in case) but she goes crazy over the love bugs that we have right now. The big swarms of them in the grass are her favorite thing.
  • Blaze7199Blaze7199
    Blaze won't stop eating bugs. He forgets why we are on our walk in the first place. Is there any way to get his attention on the task at hand? He eats anything outside but if the bug is inside he goes and hides.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Blaze7199 - Work with him on the "leave it" command.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Ever since I got Ripley, the house is ridiculously insect free. I've given up trying to stop her--they're just grass spiders and flies. It's gross, but...well, nothing's ever crawling on me anymore.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)