For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Hot weather activities
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    Whereas I had no problems with it being too cold for Sakura during the winter... I am slowly learning that heat is going to be her problem. We do not have central AC... in fact, we have a somewhat working ac thingy sticking out of the wall. Last year I had it on full blast when it was 98 degrees and super humid.... the ac brought it down to 95 degrees and still humid.

Today is the warmest is has been since we got Sakura back in November and it is torture for her. Going outside to potty, she came inside panting and went straight for the water. It is 90 degrees with 70% percent humidity, not exactly the spring weather I would like :)

So I am looking for suggestions to keep Sakura active, but comfy, during the coming summer. I don't want her to not be able to do anything outside, but its not even 1/2 through may and we are already having issues.

We do not have a yard, otherwise I would set up a kiddie pool for her, but that doesn't seem like a good idea in an apt. I'm also worried that our apt might get to be a bit much, last year, when I cranked the ac, I was miserable, I can only imagine what it would have been like had I been wearing a fur coat too!Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-22 16:19:39
  • BrozeeBrozee
    Pony up and get some A/C. It's worth it and especially for you/friends/ and your dog's health. My apartment is on the top floor but has A/C. Get their buts out there and make them fix yours!!!!!!
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    I plan on doing a lot of early morning and late evening activities outside with Foxy when our heat kicks in here in Cali this summer. We've been having weird weather off/on already where it's 90 for a couple days then back down to high 60's mid 70's the following week then back up so she has gotten a taste of how hot it is.

I also use a lot of fans and she seems to really like those. The fans and keeping it very dark in the house during the day keep it cool then at night I open the windows and it cools the house down to start over the next morning.

Good luck!
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    We can't get ac for many reasons, 1. we can't afford to move, 2. our windows are not ac unit compatible, they are crank open sideways 3. We would get evicted if we messed with the ac unit sticking out of our wall, it's built in 4. Our apt unit is not due for a new ac unit until 2014, it has been on the waiting list for new windows in the bedroom for over a year now. 5. Acording to the maintenance people, our ac unit works fine

@foxylover, does foxy like ice cubes? Sakura loves them, so far they are the way I have been working to keep her cool.

I think the big problem isn't going to be the thermostat temp, but rather the rediculious amount of humidity MN experiences (I blame the 10,000 lakes) :)Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • LosechLosech
    That AC issue sucks! I personally won't live anywhere where there isn't AC, but I'm originally from Arizona so it's always standard there.
    See if you can train her to like water? And visit a lake or something? I'm going to try to get Conker to at least walk into water on his own since it can get pretty hot here and I like to be outside all summer.
  • KibaInuKibaInu
    My pup gets hot really quickly too! I was thinking about getting one of those backpacks and putting some ice packs in there! probably too bulky and heavy but i think it's fun to think about. I'm not sure if it's workable but if its cooler at night you could open the window and during the day close blinds a bit so the sun doesn't heat up the room too quickly. That's what I do and it sort of works.
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    I saw a "cool bandana" on this website I was browsing tonight... has anyone tried one? Thoughts on if they work? Also, I swear that is a shiba in the pic :)

http://www.petstreetmall.com/Dog-Cooling-Bandanas/4233/1659/Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • LosechLosech
    I imagine it might help. My Aunt (not a dog) has one and uses it all the time.
    It does look like a Shiba!
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    Adonia, yes Foxy loves ice cubes. I put it on the tile floor in the kitchen and she chases it all over the place. Very entertaining for her. You're probably right about the humidity. We don't have a lot of that here thank goodness. I've visited Florida a few times and couldn't live there because of that.
  • RenjisMommyRenjisMommy
    I live in Florida, My Shiba does just fine; however, he is in inside dog primarily because we do not have a backyard - he only goes out to use the bathroom and is only out around 10-15 minutes at a time unless we take him to the dog park (2-3 times a week for exercise). I just have to make sure to keep him well hydrated and when I take him to the dog park they have a dog pool and also i give him ice cubes and put a wet bandana on him. :)
  • YukikoYukiko
    Is some sort of doggy day care an option? Maybe not even for the whole day, just a few hours? That way she gets her exercise in a well-ACed place. Yuki also loves ice cubes. She pushes it around the floor before finally settling down to lick it until it disappears. Ceiling or standing fans are a definite life saver too - just make sure they can't get their tongue hurt if they decide to "taste" it.http://queenshiba.tumblr.com
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    I am currently unemployed and both my husband and I are in grad school, so day care isn't an option price wise. Care wise.... the only day care in our area is owned/run by the vet that highly believes in dominance training. Our first vet visit with her, she was telling us about her day care and how there is staff on hand to take control of the situation if a dog gets out of hand. "They need to know who is in charge and we make sure they know we are" . Fans are a good option... but we have limited outlets (my husband and I share 1 outlet at a time for our computers) and I think our apartment owners would be irate if we installed a celing fan :)

I think I'm going to try the bandana... and hope sakura doesn't decide it's a new toy. I was borwing through their website more and noticed that they also have a "cool jacket" (looks a little like a thunder shirt) and a temperature controlled bed (can set it to warm or cooll)Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • maxwellsmaxwells
    Can you get a ‘kiddie’ pool for Sakura? I recall during a VERY HOT meetup we had access to one and just ensuring the dogs were able to stand in there and get their bellies wet would go far to help cool them down. Something about the cooling the blood in veins found in the groin area would go far to keeping the entire dog cooled down.
    Jenn & Stephen (humans), Ichiro & Akira (shibas), Abraham & Anya (cats)
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    I would let your landlord know that your A/C isn't working properly again, and let them know you need it to work for health reasons. If after a few requests to have it serviced are not met properly, there has to be a board of health or something that you can report your landlord to. From the issue your describing, it sounds like your A/C needs a Freon re-charge or a new condenser. You pay them rent not just for the room, but for the maintenance and upkeep of the property that they won't let you touch.

Good luck! Hope it works out for you very soon!
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! My husband ok'd the cool bandana, because during the day, she is still going to need to go outside to potty :) Apparently tomorrow there is a lady going round to all the apartments and figuring out which ones have old appliances, and which ones have the newer ones so they can work on getting them fixed or replaced. Hopefully soon we have nice lovely working ac unit again. Ultimately, yesterday I just ended up throwing a cool wet washcloth over sakura as she was sleeping, she rather seemed to enjoy it!Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Bump

Just a thought on hot weather accessories that people may find useful for travel (even if it's just going to the park or around town):

Portable pet fans that attach to crates. I have two differnet varieties, both plug into car chargers but also take batteries. One has a frozen ice pack attachement which sends nice icey cold air into the crate.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=pro+select+pet+fan&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10497105961363722142#

More "cool" things from Clean Run:

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display

I have several of these for stuffing in crates:

http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Ice-Pod-Pet-Cooling/dp/B001KZH4ZS
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • KitsuKitsu
    I have a pretty good ac unit, my old one sucks. You could ask your apartment management people to fix yours. Or you could ask if you could pay for a new one that they'd install.
  • KitsuKitsu
    At least MN summers are fairly short
  • SayaSaya
    http://www.thepoochstore.com/dog-cooling-mat.html

This mat supposed to be cool and stuff not sure how well it works. has a shiba as a model so good choice of dog breed. :)

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • SakuSaku
    Get a portable AC on Craig list. We had the same problem last summer and we bought a portable AC. Yeah, Shiba doesn't do too well in the heat. Saku refuses to walk under the sun when it's 90 degree and above, he would just sit in the the shade and look a me as if saying "pick me up woman, I have dainty paws..." Mina grew up in Atlanta, she can't tolerate heat a little bit better.
    Saku & Mina's mom

Saku & Mina
    Post edited by Saku at 2012-05-18 10:02:41
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    I found portable ac to be very ineffective, if you have a regular unit that is 5000 btu then your portable will need to be around approx. 8000btu to have the same effect. @Adonia1986 I saw that you have the old crank out sideways windows, my old apt building had these for a while and it requires what is called a "casement" unit A/C system. They are a few hundred bucks at minimum and they are harder to find but they work great. Definitely a good investment if you can save up for one.
  • KitsuKitsu
    I have a window A/c thing but ijts in the wall and sounds like what you're talking about. it can cost from 100-400. Not super pricey for the other . You should ask your management to see if you could just buy a replacement, or see how much it'd cost. I'm sure they'd go for it since they're getting a free A/C outta the deal when you move out.
  • MayamaMayama
    Has anyone tried the cooling mat @Saya linked or anything similar?
    http://www.thepoochstore.com/dog-cooling-mat.html

I'm thinking about getting one for Maya, but wasn't able to find much reviews online. There are some other ones that require soaking in water, putting in the refrigerator, or filling with water. This one seems to be the most convenient, but not sure about the effectiveness.
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • kayla4554kayla4554
    I second @Mayama ....it looks pretty cool, but does anyone actually have it?

kayla and maya <3
  • So we bought a cooling mat:
    http://www.thegreenpetshop.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000002
    and Lady hated it. Wouldn't come to it, wouldn't lay on it even if we put treats on it. She wanted nothing to do with it. I don't know if the texture was weird to her or what it was but we ended up and had to return it. I would be sure that the place you're buying from allows returns and just test it out. The pet shop, along with the dog walker we use recommended using a cooling collar for walks. One that you put ice cubes into, NOT the ones that you freeze the gel in.
  • MayamaMayama
    Thanks for the advice. I might give it a try and report back. :)
  • MayamaMayama
    I placed my order for the cooling mat from Amazon a few days ago and it arrived today:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NONHNE?ie=UTF8&tag=eapllo-20&linkCode=shr&camp=213733&creative=393177&creativeASIN=B006NONHNE&redirect=true

So far, I'm pretty satisfied. It's not freezing cold like an ice pad, but more chilling like the kitchen tiles, which is actually what I want. I was planning to cover it up with a sheet, but the pad seems durable and easy to clean, so I just used it as it is. Though it's quite heavy, it's actually pretty thin and can be folded easily, either for storage or for smaller space like a crate.

I lured Maya on to it a few times with treats, and she seemed ok laying on it. This evening when I was watching TV, she actually went sleeping on it by herself.

Since I just got it a few hours ago, it's hard to say whether Maya really likes it or not. The weather was also pretty cool today, so I haven't got a chance to see how it holds up in extreme hot days. Will report back once I tested a bit more.

• spyder420spyder420
    It's dead of summer here in South Florida. I wake up really early to hit the beach or parks. It gets hot quick tho, so I need to bring cold water and a little tupper wear to dip her feet in if it gets too hot.

I'm trying to get her used to the outside weather in SoFla, but I know this is a cold weather breed. Any other owners from South Florida?
  • XabiXabi
    @spyder420 I think there's a balm on the market (maybe musher's secret?) which is kind of like a paw wax which you may try. Or there should be something similar in a pet specialty store. The one I've seen before looks like a stick of deodorant and I believe you just apply it before you go out. It's supposed to give protection to paws in both hot and cold temperature extremes. I've never tried it out, but I have researched it a bit. I haven't had a use for it yet, since our cold weather didn't get too cold this year. I may look into it for this summer though.
    X & I signature smaller
  • spyder420spyder420
    Thanks Xabi! I will look into this.

Honestly I just touch the ground and if it hurts my hands I don't put her down on it.
  • BootzBootz
    @Mayama, how is that cooling pad coming along?

I recently have been traveling between SF and SJ. . I didn't expect it to have that big of an impact on Bootz. But I noticed when I bring her to SJ (which is 20 degrees warmer), she tends to be less playful and just sleep. (to be honest I sleep during warmer weathers too LOL). We keep the house around 70 degrees, and have an oscillating fan if it gets too warm for Bootz. Also we put ice cubes in their water bowl.

The only way I can get her to play is to bring her to the dog park....but that barely lasts 15 mins due to the heat....After that she just lays underneath the bench to rest. We tried bringing her while the sun was setting or early in the morning, but nobody was around.

Anybody have any tips for lazy shibas during warm weather? I plan on moving to SJ in the future, and don't want to have her lazing around the house. :)
  • MayamaMayama
    @Bootz Maya really likes the cooling pad. I put it in the living room and she would go sleep on it or just rest her head on it. I sometimes bring it with me during car rides, but it'll get hot once it's under the sun for too long. Unless I take it with me out of the car, which is quite heavy, I won't be able to use it on the way back.

As for activities, Maya loves the beach. She would run around crazy with or without other dogs and then spend the next two days sleeping. :p
  • Has anyone else tried this? My apt has floor to ceiling glass so on a sunny day it can get hot. Banjo doesn't like the heat to start with. I was thinking of buying two. One for the crate and one for the bedroom (he usually gets to sleep anywhere in my bedroom he wants. Sometimes he sleeps in the crate, sometimes on the dog bed.)
  • JuniJuni
    We have a Canine Cooler bed, which I think works perfect. I am not sure you can put it in direct sunlight though. We used it in the car last summer and Juni was a lot more comfortable than normally.
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
    like most people mentioned, try to do outdoor activities when the sun goes down as it gets colder.
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    I recommend the “pet cooling mat”, we have several and they have helped the dogs a lot.
    What’s nice about the cooling mat is that it isn’t too cool. You would not want the dog to sleep on anything frozen.

In humid sunny 73F to 79F our Shibas can heat up really fast, so when we travel and trial, we place a single cooled mat in each crate for a dog to sleep on. The extra mats go in a cooler to chill on ice (not freeze) and we rotate the warm mat out of the crate once its heated up. I also use a cooling collar on each dog and a crate fan. We do not keep dogs waiting in a hot car and use a UV sun block canopy instead to place crates under while we hang out for our turn. Beyond 79 degrees and as a general rule we do not work outside or in buildings without AC. Instead we postpone for fall or early spring for day events.

The mats also worked great when we had power outages in 90 degree weather… again we had the mats chilled on ice for rotation. The dogs were very happy to use them.

Note: If your dog is still in the chewing stage avoid the mats unless you can provide direct supervision as a few of the items can have some gel product that may be detrimental to health if ingested. Avoid any product where the dye runs when it gets wet, such as the Petsmart brand of cooling scarf.

Snf
  • BootzBootz
    @BanjoTheBetaDog floor to ceiling glass?! I think you need shades :-) Haha
    Post edited by Bootz at 2014-03-14 17:52:29
  • I have the crate next to the window. Half out covered half on the sun. The crate is pretty big (I purchased a big one with dividers. He doesn't have dividers anymore.). Half the crate is next to window so he can look out and half is covered so he can walk back and sleep with no stimulus. If I draw the shades he'll be in a boring dark room. :(
  • MayamaMayama
    Just noticed that this thread got brought up again, and that I posted a review of the Green Pet Shop cooling pad I brought for Maya. Well, after 2 summers, I want to say that I do NOT recommend the pad anymore.

Last year, after storing it away in it's original box during winter, the pad came out a bit wrinkled. I never found a way to make the wrinkles go away, but Maya still kind of liked it. After that summer, I was no longer able to fold it back into the box, so I stored it under my bed. This summer, when I took it out, the whole mat is hardened to a point it can't even lay flat on the floor.

I wrote to the company and they just said it's past warranty and offered a discount for a new mat. I threw the old one out and decided not to get another one.

Though Maya really liked it, I do expect it to last more than 2 summers. :(

2nd summer with lots of wrinkles:

This year:
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    I bought Quake the cooling mat and he used it some but not very much. I leave the AC on all the time so prefers laying on the hard wood floors instead. It was 98 heat index today so I took him out at 6:30 AM-7:00 AM and then again at 5:30-6:00 PM. I'll be taking him out again at 8:45 PM. Are any of you shortening the walks during this hot weather? I want him to get enough exercise but I also do not want him exposed to heat so much. Inside I keep the AC on and I also give him plenty of cool water and ice cubes.
  • @Antoinette, I am in a similar position. I make the walks shorter, but try to make sure we are always walking in the shade, and after he has done his pee/poop, make him "perform" a few times (paw, play dead, etc).

I am getting the vibe he doesn't want to be outside either.
  • BootzBootz
    Bootz let's me know if she's had enough. And particularly with hot days, I don't push her, so yes, it is kept short. But i try to balance it with indoors activities where i have the AC running. I would play fetch/tug and some mental stimulation training/games
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Banjo and @Bootz-Thanks. I'll do that with Quake.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)