For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • mcsassymcsassy
    I bought one of these for my shiba yesterday and all I have to say is WOW.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750607

It's probably the most effective brush for dogs with this coat length and the added bonus is that it's rubber (you can use it wet or dry), so there is no risk of irritating their skin...I think it's actually like a massage for her because she lays down and smiles as I brush her with it. I may even get one for myself to use in the shower haha.
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-09-25 08:46:31
  • Alex575Alex575
    I use the same one in the bath tub on Monju, so it's like her wash cloth. ;-)
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    i love the kong zoom groom. i don't think i need a furminator. i think they actually cut the hair....
  • britkotsubritkotsu
    Thats funny, I just bought one yesterday. I love it! It works great on Kishi and our cat. A lot cheaper than a furminator too.
  • jujeejujee
    The furminator is actually a blade underneath, it does a good job, but over doing it will strip the undercoat. So have to be very cautious with the furminator.

I also have the kong zoom groom, but I do not know where it's at right now haha. The dogs think it's a toy so they like to chew on it :P
  • curlytailscurlytails
    We use both. The Zoom Groom and Furminator seem to pull out different parts of the coat. I tend to use the Zoom Groom more often in the summer, when Bowdu's skin seems more sensitive due to environmental factors. And the Zoom Groom is the only one that works on the super short-coated Basenji.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • LosechLosech
    I don't have one but I've used them. They do seem to work on different parts of the coat than the Furminator. (I've got a knockoff that isn't as sharp as the original.) With lab-type coats they work sooo much better for getting those shedding guard hairs off while the Furminator or even a slicker does nothing.
  • mcsassymcsassy
    Nova is scared of the furminator...I don't quite blame her either lol.

What do you guys mean by different parts of the coat?
  • LosechLosech
    The undercoat and overcoat. The Zoom Groom, in my experience, is very good at getting the loose overcoat and shorter fur off. It does great on the undercoat too, but the Furminator only gets undercoat.
    So if you want a general overall good brush, get the Zoom Groom since it'll get loose overcoat fur as well and works when wet. Really good when wet that is. And it doesn't damage the coat or skin if you brush too often or too hard. I've been cut by them Furminators before and it's not fun. I've seen dogs with razor burn from them too. I know how to use it properly, and if you do use it test it out on your arm with the amount of pressure you'd use on a dog and you'd be surprised at how sharp it can be.
    I don't have an actual Furminator, I've got the knockoff made by Bamboo. It's not nearly as sharp as the Furminator but still works just as well.
  • mcsassymcsassy
    Oh, ya I know about the over and under...I thought there was some mysterious middle coat I was not aware of haha.

How can you tell which coat is being taken out though? Is it the feel and consistency of the fur?

Sounds like the Furminator is made by Gillette.
  • chingalingchingaling
    How funny - I spotted this in the shop and was going to ask the community if it works well on shiba coats. Looks like I'll pop back to the shop and pick one up! :D
  • LosechLosech
    Yes, it's the feel of the fur. The undercoat is very soft and light, sometimes it has a wave to it or looks semi-curly. If you blow on a handful it'll fly away and stay in their air forever. It can be very thick though and hard to brush through.
    The overcoat is heavier, stiff and harsh compared to the undercoat. It doesn't bunch up into a neat ball like the undercoat does, it kinda scatters everywhere and you have to sweep it up. It tends to keep it's shape and is very easy to brush through. Sometimes the Furminator gets a few overcoat hairs and you can really see the difference when both types of fur are being taken out.
    Post edited by Losech at 2011-05-13 16:03:58
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I have a few old pictures that show the difference:

Zoom Groom:

Zoom Groom

works great on parts like feet and legs (those are Bowdu's allergy legs there -- pictures from October 1st when he was FINALLY starting to heal and his coat was coming back in nicely). When rubbed along his back and sides, this is the type of fur that comes out:

Zoom Groom

vs. Furminator to the back and side:

Furminator
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • YukikoYukiko
    After seeing all the good comments I went out and bought one today. It is SO great for the price. Between this and the Furminator I am set for anything she can shake at me!http://queenshiba.tumblr.com
  • SO i finally gave in and bought the Kong Zoom Groom... Lexi loves it, she actually likes being brushed now, i guess its because unlike the furminator and other brushes, it doesnt scratch or pull on her coat. Its more like a massage..

And yes she also thinks its a toy :)
    photo imagejpg1-3.jpg
    Post edited by IheartShibas at 2012-10-16 13:57:36
  • SayaSaya
    Saya loves the zoom groom she will play fetch with it nice and bouncy. lol

She seems prefer this brush over her other one.. I brush her with kong one and when she is really bad I do the other one for a bit.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • I was planning to get the furminator for my jindo but now I might have to change my Mind and get the zoom groom.
  • Another bonus of the Zoom Groom: it works really well on clothing and upholstery.
  • I bought a curry brush, I'm thinking that the results are probably the same. Anyone use a rubber curry brush versus the Zoom Groom? Any difference?
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • thanks for the input! My Fiance and I have been torn between zoomgroom and the furminator...I guess we will go with zoomgroom !

FYI, zoomgroom is cheaper on amazon! :)
  • Sam loves the Zoom Groom so much! He would be sitting still and quietly while being brushed. It is like getting a massage!
  • I feel like maybe I should give the zoom groom a try, my boys are shedding but when I brush them with the furminator not much comes out.
  • I use a combination of the Furminator (got it on Amazon for like $15) and the Zoom Groom, mainly because the Furminator needs to be used sparingly to not damage the guard coat. The Zoom Groom is awesome other than the hair flies everywhere so it is easier to use it outside. My boys really love the Zoom Groom, but when the huge chunks are coming out for a couple days it is easier to catch them with a few minutes of Furminator grooming.
  • How often do you guys use the zoom groom a day to prevent fur from coming off?
  • Me, I use the Zoom Groom only during coat blow months and maybe once or twice a day depending on need. I do not use it daily as most of the time if they are not blowing their coat there really isn't a huge need.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)