For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Interesting new test for FOOD ALLERGIES using saliva
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by sunyata at 2012-08-09 09:29:36
  • shibamistressshibamistress
  • LosechLosech
    This is cool! I'm gonna wait to see if the price drops first before trying it. I don't know if Conker's "allergies" are actually that or not, but so far anytime he gets whatever those items are he itches like bonkers and has other bad reactions to it. It would be nice to know for sure if he really was allergic to some of that stuff without having to spend tons of money.
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • shibamistressshibamistress
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Sounds amazing!
  • tatonkatatonka
    Post edited by tatonka at 2012-10-22 07:43:29
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    Ok I am no food allergy vs intolerance expert here but I am studying Immunology and know a bit about antigens, immunoglobulins (Ig) and their distribution in the body, and allergic responses (hypersensitivities).

First, antigens are just a name for what an antibody is recognizing or binding to. In this sense all of the proteins in your body can be or have been an antigen. In addition, each protein in your body can contain multiple antigens because the antibody can recognize multiple pieces of a protein. If the protein was a 10 bead string and the antibody can bind one bead at a time, there could be up to 10 antigens. This gets more complicated though because an antibody can recognize multiple "beads" so antigens can overlap.

Second, a true food allergy is mediated by the immune system and is usually a type I hypersensitivity reaction. This involves being pre-sensitized to the antigen and elicits an IgE response. A food intolerance does not involve the immune system, but is the digestive tract responding to something it cannot tolerate. The most common example is lactose intolerance where the patient lacks an enzyme required to break down lactose.

That being said, the patient that was lactose intolerant should not have antibodies against lactose because the immune system is not involved in intolerances. So, in my opinion, this test could not test for any food intolerance by testing antibody levels. Additionally, he got the distribution of antibodies wrong in his response to you. IgE is found just below the surface of the skin and is almost undetectable in serum. This is a bit of a knit picky thing for me to say because there is IgE in the serum but it is not detectable because it is loaded onto high affinity receptors on mast cells (these are the nasty histamine producers). IgG and IgA are the highest classes detected in the serum. IgM also is mostly found in the serum and to a lesser extent in the lymph, but is not in saliva. IgA and IgG are predominantly found in the saliva.

Summary:
    Food Intolerance = No Ig
    Food Allergy = Mainly IgE (skin, ~blood), IgG (blood, saliva, and tissue), IgA (saliva, blood), IgM (blood only)

From what I have read, for now, food intolerances can only be determined by trial and error. Sorry if this was TMI.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    As far as the food allergy vs intolerance facts here are two links from webmd and the mayo clinic stating the same thing. That intolerance does not invlove the immune system. I saw this pretty much anywhere I read about allergy vs intolerance.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-allergy/AN01109
    http://www.webmd.com/allergies/foods-allergy-intolerance

All of the talk about where antibodies are distributed comes from my general knowledge but is also straight out of Janeway's Immunobiology (the Immunology "Bible").

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK27162/

The text pretty much explains it, but Figure 9.19 is where I was getting the relative amounts of different classes of antibodies in the blood. Figure 9.22 shows a rough distribution of the various classes of antibodies around the body.

I have also done a quick pubmed search and found a few articles that report IgG and IgA to be the antibodies found in saliva. If there is IgM, which maybe you can find some but probably very little, it is not typical. due to this reason: "IgM molecules, however, form pentamers whose 10 antigen-binding sites can bind simultaneously to multivalent antigens such as bacterial capsular polysaccharides. This compensates for the relatively low affinity of the IgM monomers by multipoint binding that confers high overall avidity. As a result of the large size of the pentamers, IgM is mainly found in the blood and, to a lesser extent, the lymph." Quoted from Janeway's link above. It is too big.
  • Notoriousscrat: thanks for the tidbit on dr. dodds and peer review.....bringing her up just causes eyes to roll at most clinics. Have not met a traditional vet yet that says yay to Dr. D. in regard to allergies, vaccines or thyroid : (

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2012-10-24 18:07:21
  • Shibamistress: I have to agree with you on the peer review....not all peer reviews are created equal or necessarily of quality. I hate to see people "crutched" on it without looking at the bigger picture.

Anyway, there are so many things that work that are of the holistic vein, and I am for that whenever possible. It is hard to change the mind set of some vets though, even with the literature.... Brick wall mentality basically.... so it's good to have a couple of reliable practitioners to fall back on when needed for various things. I have not found one that does it all yet, and is flexible enough to see different views. Frustrating how persistent one has to be if there is a medical issue, at least in our area.

Snf
  • zandramezandrame
    Bump! This is interesting, did anybody end up trying it?

Saw this review
    http://fidoseofreality.com/does-the-nutriscan-kit-to-solve-dog-food-allergies-work/

Then I watched the video, and I think it would be hard to get my guy to sit still long enough to collect the saliva!
  • I am considering purchasing one of tests for Akai. He has been on several foods, probiotics and tested for parasites. He has some relief with a limited ingredient diet, but an upset stomach today. I am reluctant to fork over so much money because I really haven't heard much - good or bad. Have you or anyone you know performed this test. Was it worth it?
  • MikoMiko
    @reddevilakai maybe its not just the food, it can also be environmental allergies. Or he may just have a sensitive stomach/intolerance to certain ingredients since you didnt metion any itching.

Have you tried a full elimination diet yet? Meaning no treats, no table scraps, nothing other than his food that contains one new protien source and one new carb source. It requires a lot of patience and consistency on your part, since you can only have your dog on one food for about 3 months.

Heres a link for more info on the differences of an allergy/intolerance and also on how to do an elimination diet http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2111&aid=143

Btw I haven't done this form of testing but I did an elimination diet, to no avail, prior to doing a blood test and it turned out to be an allergy to mold and dust, which is very hard to get rid of fully in the house.
  • MayamaMayama
  • zandramezandrame
    @Mayama, that's pretty cool, I hadn't heard of that one yet. Tempted to give it a try.
    Though I wonder how they can determine environmental factors from a saliva sample. It would be interesting to see how their results compared to a traditional test.
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • sunyatasunyata
  • MayamaMayama
  • lawryslawrys
    It's been a while since anyone posted on this.
    Has anyone else tried either the Nutriscan or Glacier Peak Holistic's Allergy Test Kit? Or any other kit?
    How has your experience been? Do you trust the results and has changing diet based on the results helped?
    I have a Shiba that showed environmental allergy issues, but no food allergies with a blood test. I'm sure he still has some food intolerances, so I'm looking into other options for food testing.
    Thanks!
  • @lawrys, call me crazy but I simply switched my dog tro raw and did an elimination diet. Turns out he is chicken intolerant. I trust that over a test.

• rubyruby
    I thought I would bump this and share our experience with anyone interested.
    We have 2 shibas and have done this test the last 2 years. It was suggested by our vet when we had run out of options in finding out why our younger dog was having dietary issues and diarrhea.
    It is suggested to be repeated every 6 months to year as allergies change. Due to the cost ( up to $300 a dog) we waited a year between tests. The second year both dogs had different results than the first year so glad we retested.
    We have changed up their diets with no problem so for us it has been reliable information.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)