For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Kibble Choice
  • BrozeeBrozee
    I know that this has been a topic before and have scanned the forums profusely! My concern is that I am picking my puppy up this upcoming week, and the breeder has the puppy on a sams club type of kibble that he buys in bulk. I want to switch him to a good high quality food. So far I have bought a sample small bag of orijen puppy. My concerns are that after scanning and seeing around a few places that it is great quality, but also I'm concerned of hearing it has too much protein for a puppy? Besides that the negative for me was that it is very expensive. My other choices were wellness puppy, or one of the natural choice puppy formulas. I have one natural dog store by me but it mainly carries Acana dog food and Orijen, while I went with orijen because they had a puppy formula. Pet supplies plus carries wellness, and natures variety is pretty easy to find as well. I couldn't find innova evo near me though. I know to get small amounts because all puppies are different but can anyone suggest a good quality food that isn't very pricey like orijen? Worst comes to worst I'll stick with the price tag for orijen if it makes the puppy healthy and happy. The puppy will be 7 weeks old.

Thanks for your future input! I only want the best for my upcoming pup!
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-21 10:21:52
  • CaliaCalia
  • BrozeeBrozee
    The wellness super5mix for puppy seems like a great alternative. Thanks for pointing that out. It is also a good $10+ cheaper.
    Post edited by Brozee at 2011-05-07 02:44:00
  • LosechLosech
    Wellness, Taste of the Wild (No puppy formula though), Acana (made by the same company as Orijen) and Fromm are some I'd use. There were a couple others but I forget their names.
  • jujeejujee
  • BrozeeBrozee
    So the consistent thing is the wellness. I think I'll go to my local store and pick some up today. Too bad they don't have any trial sizes. Now normal formula (life stages) or the puppy mix. Again the puppy is only 7 weeks old?
  • jujeejujee
  • BrozeeBrozee
    Thanks for all the replies. And oops, lol counted wrong. He will be exactly 8 weeks. Born on the March 31st
  • sandrat888sandrat888
  • BrozeeBrozee
    Thanks for the coupon!

So I finally decided on a kibble. Ran up to my local pet supplies plus to see what they have. In fact they have quite the selection (only missing orijen/acana). I decided upon Taste of the Wild, Bison/Venison flavor. 5lb for only $10.98. While the 6lb of the Wellness puppy was $14.98, and the store associate highly reccommended the Taste of The Wild. Even said that if my puppy doesn't like it I can bring it back for store credit towards another one. Not only is it a bit cheaper but the ingredients matched the wellness perfectly, actually having a little bit more protein. At the end of the day I saved money and got a equal if not better product.

Price comparison:
    Wellness 6lb $14.98
    ToTW 5lb: $10.98

Wellness 15lb: $29
    ToTW 15lb: $24

Thanks all for your inputs!
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • sandrat888sandrat888
  • BrozeeBrozee
    Yeah right now the puppy is on Purina Pro Plan All Life Stages, when switching him over to Taste of the Wild, I just mix both together, slowly increasing the amount of TotW and decreasing the purina pro correct?
  • AraksAraks
    Yup, when I switched kibbles I did this weekly: 25%-75%, then 50%-50%, then 75%-25%, and then just 100%.

Good luck :)
  • Just to revive for future lurkers....
    I researched ToTW and decided on that for my puppy that im currently waiting for.
    I also found that they have a cat formula. Our local pet supplies plus was going out of business and went in to pick up come clearance things. i bought a bag of the TotW for the cats. I ended up going back a week later for all the bags they had left. It left thier coats so soft and shiny and they shed alot less and my fat female is starting to lose weight. I will never switch to another brand for them unless they stop making it.
    I am actually looking forward to feeding it to my puppy now.
    My question is. since they make puppy and the regular formula. which one shoud i feed.
    the als or puppy?
  • HamletHamlet
    You can feed either, depending on your preference. Since Shiba's aren't a large breed, you don't need to be as concerned with a "puppy diet". Large breed pups need specific nutrient formulations to avoid development issues. The major difference between adult food and puppy food is going to be that puppy food is much higher in calories. That really only means that you get to feed less of the puppy food to meet your puppy's nutritional requirements.

Hamlet and Juliet both ate TOTW for the past 6 months and enjoyed it.
  • mandumandu
    Bump!

My partner and I just got a 30lb bag of Taste of the Wild: Pacific Stream Puppy Formula and I have to say, I didn't know Mandu could be this excited about dry food. To be honest, I was a little overly excited about getting a grain-free and poultry-free kibble for Mandu. Embarrassingly, I checked the UPS tracking page every 30 minutes for two days. ANYWHO, I opened the bag, Mandu got a whiff of the food and started doing the most adorable circles and hops. I introduced him to a few pieces with some commands that he was treated for. When I got a baby scoop of the ToTW along with a bigger scoop of his old kibble, he ran after me with his tail wagging super hard. I can tell he absolutely loves the taste. Importantly, he is scratching himself less, and seems to have more even more energy. :)

Thanks to everyone who provided loads of helpful information regarding kibble brands!
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    My breeder recommended using www.dogfoodanalysis.com to research kibble. I found it very helpful. I ended up choosing Wellness Puppy, but have sinced switched to Wellness Core now that Ryu is older.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Go fit and free dog food.
    But now switching to Natures Choice Raw medallions.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Oops I meant Natures Variety Instinct raw
    Lol
  • HamletHamlet
    We have to switch foods every couple of weeks (or else the pooches stop eating because they're bored). We usually select between Blue Buffalo, Merrick and occasonally Wellness Core.
  • Blu_by_uBlu_by_u
  • BootzBootz
    Malaysia doesn't have a really good selection but I think I saw Canidae/Orijen there.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

A lot of people use this website to check if a brand is good or not.
  • Blu_by_uBlu_by_u
  • SayaSaya
  • Blu_by_uBlu_by_u
  • SayaSaya
  • I switched my puppy over to Orijen puppy about 2 weeks ago. His stool is softer than I'd expect. I'm hoping he doesn't have a chicken allergy as that's the main ingredient in it. Haven't noticed any harsh scratching from him.

Someone mentioned it's not necessary to feed puppy formula for our Shibas. Is it safe to make the switch to Orijen Regional Red? My dog is now about 5 months old.
  • orangedoggieorangedoggie
    I feed Redpaw. It's sled dog food. I know, it's not "the best", but I've tried all the grain free stuff. My dog either won't eat it or gets an upset stomach. I mainly feed raw with Redpaw on the side. He loves it.
  • Blu_by_uBlu_by_u
  • lucylulucylu
    So the stores around me have started carrying acanas grain inclusive line. Lucy is on acana grain free and i have no inclanation to change but the grain inclusive line is more expensive. Why would that be?
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • JScarf5JScarf5
    Has anybody ever used Diamond Naturals Kibble? My breeder had been feeding min ethat before I got him so I thought i'd stick with that, Bane gets 1/2cup kibble in the AM's and then TOTW canned food with a little more kibble. Sound ok?
  • SayaSaya
  • SayaSaya
  • JeffSTiJeffSTi
    @Saya Thank you for the reply. I will monitor for the next few days and if problem still exists, I'm going to try and put him on Merrick or Wellness.

I have nothing against Acana but the pet store I purchased the NOW! fresh from will exchange opened food as long as it's not more than half used BUT they don't carry Orijen or Acana.

• AntoinetteAntoinette
    My little boy Quake (2-1/2 years old) is on Wellness Core No Grain Low Fat and he is doing really well with that.
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    Yuki eats A Taste of the Wild-- it's seemingly affordable, and he LOVES it. We use it as training treats to supplement a meal, and he's very responsive. And we have to work on him barking when I go to get the food, because he gets so excited about his meal time. Haha!
  • SayaSaya
  • kiba888kiba888
    I use 'The Blue Buffalo Co Blue Wilderness Salmon' now, but Kibas was on Wellness as a pup

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)