For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Kibble Choice
  • BrozeeBrozee
    I know that this has been a topic before and have scanned the forums profusely! My concern is that I am picking my puppy up this upcoming week, and the breeder has the puppy on a sams club type of kibble that he buys in bulk. I want to switch him to a good high quality food. So far I have bought a sample small bag of orijen puppy. My concerns are that after scanning and seeing around a few places that it is great quality, but also I'm concerned of hearing it has too much protein for a puppy? Besides that the negative for me was that it is very expensive. My other choices were wellness puppy, or one of the natural choice puppy formulas. I have one natural dog store by me but it mainly carries Acana dog food and Orijen, while I went with orijen because they had a puppy formula. Pet supplies plus carries wellness, and natures variety is pretty easy to find as well. I couldn't find innova evo near me though. I know to get small amounts because all puppies are different but can anyone suggest a good quality food that isn't very pricey like orijen? Worst comes to worst I'll stick with the price tag for orijen if it makes the puppy healthy and happy. The puppy will be 7 weeks old.

Thanks for your future input! I only want the best for my upcoming pup!
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-21 10:21:52
  • CaliaCalia
    My pups all grew up with Wellness puppy, and they loved it. Much more affordable than Orijen, and they're usually cheaper at feed stores and boutique pet stores than big corporate places (like Petco/Petsmart).
  • BrozeeBrozee
    The wellness super5mix for puppy seems like a great alternative. Thanks for pointing that out. It is also a good $10+ cheaper.
    Post edited by Brozee at 2011-05-07 02:44:00
  • LosechLosech
    Wellness, Taste of the Wild (No puppy formula though), Acana (made by the same company as Orijen) and Fromm are some I'd use. There were a couple others but I forget their names.
  • jujeejujee
    I'd try to stay away from Evo and Innova. They were bought out by P&G (same ppl that make Eukanuba and all the other crappy kibbles).

Wellness puppy is a good formula and yea it is much cheaper than Orijen. Sometimes you do not have to get a "puppy kibble". A life stages one would work just as well.
  • BrozeeBrozee
    So the consistent thing is the wellness. I think I'll go to my local store and pick some up today. Too bad they don't have any trial sizes. Now normal formula (life stages) or the puppy mix. Again the puppy is only 7 weeks old?
  • jujeejujee
    Hmm, is there a reason why the breeder is letting you take the pup home at 7 weeks? They should be at least 8 before leaving their mom and litter mates.

Wellness puppy will be fine for your pup, I mentioned life stages if you didnt want to feed wellness and wanted to feed something else such as Taste of the Wild.
  • BrozeeBrozee
    Thanks for all the replies. And oops, lol counted wrong. He will be exactly 8 weeks. Born on the March 31st
  • BrozeeBrozee
    Thanks for the coupon!

So I finally decided on a kibble. Ran up to my local pet supplies plus to see what they have. In fact they have quite the selection (only missing orijen/acana). I decided upon Taste of the Wild, Bison/Venison flavor. 5lb for only $10.98. While the 6lb of the Wellness puppy was $14.98, and the store associate highly reccommended the Taste of The Wild. Even said that if my puppy doesn't like it I can bring it back for store credit towards another one. Not only is it a bit cheaper but the ingredients matched the wellness perfectly, actually having a little bit more protein. At the end of the day I saved money and got a equal if not better product.

Price comparison:
    Wellness 6lb $14.98
    ToTW 5lb: $10.98

Wellness 15lb: $29
    ToTW 15lb: $24

Thanks all for your inputs!
  • curlytailscurlytails
    We really like Taste of the Wild here. One of the best values you can get for grain-free kibble, I think. We flip-flop between that and a pricy kibble like Orijen, Timberwolf, and most recently, Acana. Kibble only accounts for about 1/2 of the meals around here, though.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    My dogs are currently on Taste of the Wild too. It's good affordable quality kibble. Based on what I see with my two Shibas, you made a good choice!
  • BrozeeBrozee
    Yeah right now the puppy is on Purina Pro Plan All Life Stages, when switching him over to Taste of the Wild, I just mix both together, slowly increasing the amount of TotW and decreasing the purina pro correct?
  • AraksAraks
    Yup, when I switched kibbles I did this weekly: 25%-75%, then 50%-50%, then 75%-25%, and then just 100%.

Good luck :)
  • Just to revive for future lurkers....
    I researched ToTW and decided on that for my puppy that im currently waiting for.
    I also found that they have a cat formula. Our local pet supplies plus was going out of business and went in to pick up come clearance things. i bought a bag of the TotW for the cats. I ended up going back a week later for all the bags they had left. It left thier coats so soft and shiny and they shed alot less and my fat female is starting to lose weight. I will never switch to another brand for them unless they stop making it.
    I am actually looking forward to feeding it to my puppy now.
    My question is. since they make puppy and the regular formula. which one shoud i feed.
    the als or puppy?
  • HamletHamlet
    You can feed either, depending on your preference. Since Shiba's aren't a large breed, you don't need to be as concerned with a "puppy diet". Large breed pups need specific nutrient formulations to avoid development issues. The major difference between adult food and puppy food is going to be that puppy food is much higher in calories. That really only means that you get to feed less of the puppy food to meet your puppy's nutritional requirements.

Hamlet and Juliet both ate TOTW for the past 6 months and enjoyed it.
  • mandumandu
    Bump!

My partner and I just got a 30lb bag of Taste of the Wild: Pacific Stream Puppy Formula and I have to say, I didn't know Mandu could be this excited about dry food. To be honest, I was a little overly excited about getting a grain-free and poultry-free kibble for Mandu. Embarrassingly, I checked the UPS tracking page every 30 minutes for two days. ANYWHO, I opened the bag, Mandu got a whiff of the food and started doing the most adorable circles and hops. I introduced him to a few pieces with some commands that he was treated for. When I got a baby scoop of the ToTW along with a bigger scoop of his old kibble, he ran after me with his tail wagging super hard. I can tell he absolutely loves the taste. Importantly, he is scratching himself less, and seems to have more even more energy. :)

Thanks to everyone who provided loads of helpful information regarding kibble brands!
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    My breeder recommended using www.dogfoodanalysis.com to research kibble. I found it very helpful. I ended up choosing Wellness Puppy, but have sinced switched to Wellness Core now that Ryu is older.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Go fit and free dog food.
    But now switching to Natures Choice Raw medallions.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Oops I meant Natures Variety Instinct raw
    Lol
  • We give Arya wellness for puppy.
  • HamletHamlet
    We have to switch foods every couple of weeks (or else the pooches stop eating because they're bored). We usually select between Blue Buffalo, Merrick and occasonally Wellness Core.
  • Blu_by_uBlu_by_u
    Any comments on Regal puppy bites (Turkey & Rice)? Currently Creamy is on this. I may not be able to purchase the Wellness Puppy here in M'sia.
    http://www.regalpetfoods.com/dog_food.html#puppy

What is readily available here are Eukanuba, Science Plan, Regal, Nutri-plus, Pedigree and Alpo.

I had bad experience with Pedigree and Alpo when I had my Cocker Spaniel. With Pedigree, her coat became dry and very breaks easily. With Alpo, her poo was very colorful. So those 2 brands are out for me.
    Really fast out.
  • BootzBootz
    Malaysia doesn't have a really good selection but I think I saw Canidae/Orijen there.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

A lot of people use this website to check if a brand is good or not.
  • Blu_by_uBlu_by_u
    Thanks bootz.
    Really fast out.
  • SayaSaya
    I love your screen name btw Reminds me of the blue bayou water park I used to go to when I lived in Louisiana..
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Blu_by_uBlu_by_u
    Thanks. I have not been to the US of A yet.

As of now, that little Creamy Deli is taking up a lot of my time. She is slow on her actual food but is fast to snatch chips we accidentally drop.

Saya, how do you add those pictures to your signature?
    Really fast out.
  • SayaSaya
    At the top of the screen to the right click your user name and then on the left of the screen click signature setting add the html of the picture you want or words then that should do it.

Photobucket is where I upload pictures I want to load on sites or forums and they have pretty easy thing where you click for either the url, html, or img type thing.

Photobucket
  • I switched my puppy over to Orijen puppy about 2 weeks ago. His stool is softer than I'd expect. I'm hoping he doesn't have a chicken allergy as that's the main ingredient in it. Haven't noticed any harsh scratching from him.

Someone mentioned it's not necessary to feed puppy formula for our Shibas. Is it safe to make the switch to Orijen Regional Red? My dog is now about 5 months old.
  • orangedoggieorangedoggie
    I feed Redpaw. It's sled dog food. I know, it's not "the best", but I've tried all the grain free stuff. My dog either won't eat it or gets an upset stomach. I mainly feed raw with Redpaw on the side. He loves it.
  • Blu_by_uBlu_by_u
    Bought a bag of Acana Puppy and Junior. Wanted to buy Orijin but then do not have the puppy feed.
    Really fast out.
  • lucylulucylu
    So the stores around me have started carrying acanas grain inclusive line. Lucy is on acana grain free and i have no inclanation to change but the grain inclusive line is more expensive. Why would that be?
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    @realslimnatey

Orijen is pretty rich due to the high protein content. Most dogs don't need that much, and I would bet the soft stools are from that. It seems to be a fairly common complaint with the food, hence why the company has branched into other lines, like grain free Acana and grain inclusive with lower protein levels. There is truth to "Too much of a good thing"

@lucylu

The ingredients are a little more "high end/exclusive" I believe, like burbank potato and some special variety of apple. I give it to Ike and he thinks it's great.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • JScarf5JScarf5
    Has anybody ever used Diamond Naturals Kibble? My breeder had been feeding min ethat before I got him so I thought i'd stick with that, Bane gets 1/2cup kibble in the AM's and then TOTW canned food with a little more kibble. Sound ok?
  • SayaSaya
    I was wondering if anyone has heard or tried this kibble yet it's called Farmina it's new for usa only selling on chewy.com. They've sold in Europe I believe..

http://usa.farmina.com

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/farmina-nd-grain-free-dog-food/

http://www.chewy.com/s?query=farmina&dept=all

I'm thinking of trying the herring and the lamb formula eventually

http://usa.farmina.com/?q=content/product/grain-free-wild-herring-recipe

http://usa.farmina.com/?q=content/product/grain-free-grass-fed-lamb-recipe

They have grain free and grain line.. so far the ingredients seem good. I asked for sample so once the sample comes I'll see how Saya and Bella likes it.

I use kibble as treats and change formulas each time.. figure this one seems like nice one to try.

No peas or legumes.

Once samples get here I'll write about it. I might get big bag for Bella to have as next food once her current one is low.
    Photobucket
  • SayaSaya
    @JeffSTi Orijen can sometime be bit too rich if that is brand you want to try go for acana.

If having poo issues try probiotics I had to use ark natural gentle digest and it works well. Bella had gotten some type of parasite and gotten meds for it and it helped, but I put her on probiotics too to help some. she had to be on antibiotics and I think the probiotics helped keep poo ok..

http://www.arknaturals.com/gentle-digest-probiotic-capsule

I currently feed Bella Taste of the wild high prairie with no problem.

I'm going to try the farmina kibble soon, but that isn't in Canada yet they plan to try it there in 2015..

Merrick is pretty good kibble I read haven't feed it before so not sure. I fed their canned foods and dogs like it as kibble topper or snack.

I like fromm brand it's pretty good quality wise.. Annamaet is pretty good I've read.

I Feed Saya raw so not too knowledgeable on kibble brands. It makes my head spin thinking about which brand to try for Bella.. Been on Totw for while so hoping to try new brand so going to try farmina and if that doesn't work out I'll try totw fish one.
    Photobucket
  • JeffSTiJeffSTi
    @Saya Thank you for the reply. I will monitor for the next few days and if problem still exists, I'm going to try and put him on Merrick or Wellness.

I have nothing against Acana but the pet store I purchased the NOW! fresh from will exchange opened food as long as it's not more than half used BUT they don't carry Orijen or Acana.

• AntoinetteAntoinette
    My little boy Quake (2-1/2 years old) is on Wellness Core No Grain Low Fat and he is doing really well with that.
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    Yuki eats A Taste of the Wild-- it's seemingly affordable, and he LOVES it. We use it as training treats to supplement a meal, and he's very responsive. And we have to work on him barking when I go to get the food, because he gets so excited about his meal time. Haha!
  • SayaSaya
    Bella she silent whines and drools a river when waiting for food.. lol

Well Bella is transitioning onto her new kibble now. So far no issues digestive wise.

photo DSC_0080_zpsf4b5b6e3.jpg

Here's the farmina kibble next to her current kibble Totw:high prairie. The farmina have a bit bigger kibble the herring one did and the chicken and grain one too. I should have kept one of the grain free herring to compare, but I think it was same size.
    photo DSC_0005_zps513f67ea.jpg
    another comparison pic Totw
    photo DSC_0598_zps6af1c74b.jpg
    Farmina chicken & ancestral grains
    photo DSC_0599_zps80bc53d1.jpg

Bella is currently eating half cup Totw and half farmina so soon she'll be on full cup.

One thing I notice is the farmina kibble is darker in color. I like the ingredients, but since Bella isn't 100% on it yet I can't really say how she is doing on it, but so far so good. They have grain free line too.

The grain line has chicken puppy, chicken adult, cad and lamb. Grain free line has Chicken, Chicken Large Breed, Chicken Small-Medium Breed Puppies, Grass-Fed Lamb, Wild Boar, Wild Herring.

Dog food direct is now selling it so now two online places to choose from. They have lamb formula in stock while Chewy doesn't. I might try lamb after the bag of chicken.
    http://www.dogfooddirect.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=farmina

From what I read the grain line doesn't have a lot of grains in it and 93% animal sourced protein.

I'll write more once Bella is 100% on farmina, but so far it's going well.

Saya seemed to do fine with the grain free herring sample it had enough for her to eat it for two days.. I did it no transition and no issue with her poop, but Saya has a pretty good stomach so that is probably a reason why.

The kibble pieces are big not huge, but bigger then the Totw. bella and Saya don't mind the bigger pieces. Saya crunches her kibble treats one by one small or big.. even the tiny from kibble she would crunch that up. lol

Bag weighs bit less compared to Totw 30lb vs 26.4lbs price is close on the grain line the grain free is more pricey compared to the grain, but for shiba either one would last while..

I like both the grain free and grain lines got the grain line since it was more in price with Totw. Bella went nuts over the kibble bag she dragged it all over trying to lick the inside of it.

This still sorta new there is a lot of people on other forums trying it and so far their dogs doing well.

Photobucket
  • kiba888kiba888
    I use 'The Blue Buffalo Co Blue Wilderness Salmon' now, but Kibas was on Wellness as a pup

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)