For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Housetraining refresher
  • BenihimeBenihime
    We brought home Benihime 3 weeks ago when she was already a year and a half old. She was already housetrained but she did have a few accidents in the house, which I expected just because of the change of environment etc. She was doing great until 4 days ago. She has a couple spots in the house that she prefers and we try to keep the doors shut but I want to fix this problem. She doesn't alert me to when she has to go she just goes. I also try to take her out every coupe of hours. We took her to the vet on Moday (before the accidents started again) and she was given a clean bill of health. I really don't think it is a medical issue because she doesn't go in her crate overnight and one evening she was in there and she left to releave herself in one of her spots.

Help!! Any suggestions?
  • KaylaKayla
    if Benihime has her favorite "spots" in the house, then it's probably because her potty scent is there. Have you tried to use an enzyme breakdown cleaner to clean her messes, such as Nature's Miracle? Regular household items will only cover up the scent, not rid it.

When Kayla used our bedroom carpet as her personal toilet, it was easy for me to close the door so that she doesn't have access to it and also clean with Nature's miracle so that if she chances to go in there, she can't find her spot.

Also, maybe watch her like a hawk for these next few days and if you catch her squatting/going, quickly shout "no!!", clap, go "AH AH!", etc to catch her attention and let her know that it's bad. You can only do this while she's in the act though - doing it after she messes will only cause her to think that the pee puddle is bad and she'll go find ways to hide it from you, which you don't want.
  • BenihimeBenihime
    I am using an enzyme cleaner but maybe just not a good one. I will keep my eye out for Nature's Miracle. I will also be sure to attempt to watch her. It seems that I just keep missing her! Thanks!
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Was she a breeder dog or kennel dog?

Many breeders provide a 24/7 access to a potty area, even if it is a corner of a kennel run. The dogs never have a need to learn to "hold it" for 8 hours at a time, especially when presented with free range of a new house. Going off to a corner of a room is fair game.

I let mine out to potty about every 4 hours, except overnight. I don't really wait for them to give signals. Every 3-4 hours they go outside whether they want to or not, and when back inside, the new dogs are restricted to the main areas of the house where I am until the next potty break.

With Benihime, don't wait for her to signal. Start a schedule of times and toilet her routinely every few hours at first. Limiting access to extra rooms is a good idea too. I use Natrue's Miracle, and a newer product called Pure Ayre, which neutralizes ammonia and is completely safe to spray directly onto animals.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    Yes, i loves nature's miracle!!!
  • BenihimeBenihime
    She was a breeder dog, so everything that you said makes sense. I will start scheduling when she goes out. Thanks! Lets cross out fingers!
  • jarvizjarviz
    sorry to revive a dead thread, but not sure where else to put this since all my posts keeps getting closed and moved.

Anyways - my shiba is about a year old and she's pretty much completely house trained for the most part. Sometimes she goes in the house, which is probably due to my negligence. However I want to train her to pee/poop in a designated area. The only way I can imagine doing this is catching her before or in the act and carrying her over the designated area, but this seems unlikely.

How do i get her to do her thing in just one area of the house.
    Post edited by jarviz at 2015-02-10 12:04:00
  • I don't accept your premise.

Why do you want her to go inside at all? What I mean is a Shiba is a notoriously clean animal so it won't pee poop inside unless it can't hold it anymore. Holding your pee/poop for too long can create an infection.

Is there a reason she can't be given regular outside time?

ETA: I am not saying you don't have a valid reason, but I am wondering if this is more of a headache than it is worth?

Post edited by BanjoTheBetaDog at 2015-02-10 12:34:52
  • jarvizjarviz
    She's given plenty of regular outside time and she wasn't holding it for that long.

It's obviously a headache to have her go in the house, but my question was more pertaining to emergencies or unexpected things like, a car accident would easily add an extra 2-3hr of her holding or if she decided to drink all of the water in the toilet bowl. So in these cases, I'd rather her go in her designated pee corner. Is there a way to reinforce this?
  • JuniJuni
    I'd say no.
    How about instead befriend a neighbour and let them have a spare key for emergencies so someone can come in and take care of your dog?
  • If you are not home to supervise her, confine her in the place you wouldn't mind her going if she did have to go.

I agree with @banjothebetadog, this might be more trouble than it's worth. Maybe for longer periods when you are gone, ask a neighbor to come let her out. Or have a point person who can get to your place in case of emergencies.

Also limiting how much water she has available (so she doesn't drink the toilet water, shut the toilet and close the door) could work well too. If you are gone too long to let her roam around, you need to confine her to a certain room.

It'll be super hard to train her to go inside and still expect her to prefer to go outside.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @jarviz - If you teach your dog to (or let her) go in the house, she will prefer to go in the house. I would advise against doing so. You will just confuse her and regress any progress that she has made in house training so far.

Follow the advice of others: Put the toilet seat down, have an emergency back up plan, confine her if you are gone more than a couple of hours (until she is completely house trained), etc. There is no reason to have the dog purposefully use the bathroom in the house.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • BootzBootz

Sounds to me like your shiba is not house trained at ALL.

I would definitely start over and get him/her on a schedule. Also restrict his access to the house while you are gone, why would he be able to drink out of the toilet? The cover should be down so he won't have access.

2-3 hr delay shouldn't make a difference if he is really potty trained.... I'm speaking from my experience with my shiba and also my shih tzu mix. They haven't had an accident in years, even if I'm late home. And even when I arrive home, they're not in a super rush to pee.

Have you thought of setting up a camera to check in on your shiba? If s/he is a busy body while you are away, might consider hiring somebody or having a friend drop by to walk him during the day.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Just a thought - a well potty-trained dog should still not have any desire to go in the house, even if I am late 2-3 hours getting home. Although infrequent, Kira will be at home sometimes 10-12 hours and has never made any mistakes in the house because she trusts that I will come home and relieve her.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)