For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Fur discoloration
  • KibaInuKibaInu
    Hey everyone,

Kiba's 10 weeks old now and I've been noticing that his fur is getting lighter around the areas that his harness covers...kind of like tan lines. Has anyone else experienced this as well? It might be his color coming in but wanted to hear from other people. Thanks.
  • LosechLosech
    Conker's shoulders lightened as he got older. He also used to have a distinct solid dark red line down his back but it began to lighten and now you don't notice it as much unless you are looking for it.
    Shibas tend to change colors a lot as the mature. If yours wears the harness a lot though it might be rubbing some of the top coat off so it appears lighter.
  • karashakarasha
    +1 to what Conker's mom said.

Miyuki is still pretty dark... except on her head (because I also rub her face and head) and his feet (because I am continually wiping her feet down). No worries :)
  • emmyemmy
    Is it possible that the harness is wearing/tearing the top coat, revealing the lighter layer below? I don't know if this is what you are describing, but it doesn't sound like the fading shibas get from "greying" as they age or what mine is getting from his near-constant sunbathing. My shiba's collar tears up his fur, so I don't have it on him when we are in the house, I just put it on when he goes out.
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    Hiro kinda has that. i like it. i call it his tan lines hahaha
  • JacksMom13JacksMom13
    LOL shibahiro! Jack is a B&T and the harness was rubbing off the top of his fur - they are tan lines! we switched to a martingale collar; his tan lines aren't darkening yet, but maybe after he finishes shedding all his fur and by winter his tan lines will fade (or darken, I guess.)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)