For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Frisbee Catching Anyone?
  • My husband has been working with Fuji catching Frisbees since he was only 3 months old. I finally got around to trying to capture it in SPAM! Anyone else throw frisbees with their shiba?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-22 16:20:00
  • We're in the stages of just starting with Tanuki. He'll follow them in the air but won't catch them yet, we're trying to make it fun and not hitting them in the head.
  • emmyemmy
    My shiba won't even try to catch things in the air. But we do play a lot of fetch. Great spam!
  • Our Dollar Store sells really lightweight nylon frisbees for a buck each so Fuji was never afraid of getting hit with them. Of course we go through a lot of them because they don't last too long. Especially when he and another dog like to play tug with it in the dog park:) Fuji also likes to catch tennis balls and raquet balls out of the air.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    We tried.... he just doesn't get there quick enough...and even then he won't pick it up.. that's so cool that you were able to!
  • SayaSaya
    Nice pictures I got tons of frisbee Saya will chase them, but not catch though she does like to dig on them. lol
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • ZinjaZinja
    Reviving an old thread: How big is Fuji? I've read dogs 35-55lbs is ideal but Fuji looks like he's having a great time! I'm currently working with my puppy on catching the Frisbee. What steps have to taken to keep him interested? How long until he wants to stop playing?
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I have dollar store ones that are a rope circle with nylon. They don't last long because Bear loves to chew them. Bear will fetch and bring them back but has never tried to catch it mid air. Is that a natural instinct or is there a way to train them to jump and catch?
  • ZinjaZinja
    You have to take baby steps. Here is a good video that I've been watching.

I've also started a thread about this in the NK side. http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/8033
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Thanks for the video, I have to put this on my training list that I keep when I want to try new things. These are great baby steps and I can envision now how to teach it.
  • InoushiInoushi
    A little tip: paper plates make great starter frisbees.

I think its better to start with a plush ball, that way you can practice catch even indoors. Then once your dog is confident, move to a frisbee. Easier to train with bigger targets then make them smaller as they get better at catching.
  • ZinjaZinja
    I also like to use the Nylabone frisbees. It's difficult for Mochi to pick up normal frisbees face down without anything to grab on to. the Nyalbone frisbees has a bone sticking out of it for gripping. I would say Shibas were too small but that jack russell is doing it! Jesse is very well trained though.

Mochi tends to like the Aerobie Sprint Discs. That's a good idea with the paper plates. My problem is: Mochi tends to bring the disk to Eevee to try and play with her and forgets about the game. :(
    Post edited by Zinja at 2012-12-07 16:07:34
  • tatonkatatonka
    @Zinja, great video!
    Monkey!
  • ZinjaZinja
    So I've seen some videos of Mini Australian Shepards catching Frisbees.. Now I know Mochi has a chance :)
  • Our Kenshin enjoys catching the frisbee... it was one of the first games we played together and he is very athletic at 1 yr and 3 months. He usually catches 2 or 3 in ten, but I've noticed his accuracy is improving. Haven't been able to capture him catching a frisbee on camera or video yet. Unlike shepards, labs etc., however, who at our dog park can go for 20-30 minutes without blinking, he has a shorter attention span, maybe only will stay with it for 10 throws before wanting to switch games. His favorite is keep away with other dogs (steals the favorite toy at the dog park and dodges and weaves to evade), or keep away with soccer balls with humans.

I guess I would mention that Kenshin is also larger than breed standard, 36lbs... but he was catching frisbees at 15 lbs, so I think smaller is fine. Like any training, short, focused sessions is probably the way to go.

Post edited by Kenshin_Family at 2013-08-13 12:26:12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)