For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Takes treats in mouth and starts whining
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    Has your Shiba done this? I'll give Hiro a treat and then he'll start whining and pacing around with the treat in this mouth. Not sure what he's thinking or doing. O_o
  • CaliaCalia
    Tetsu does this all the time with treats that are too big, like chicken nugget sized or sometimes drumsticks. I'll let him continue until he decides to eat it (or one of the other dogs take it) or I will sometimes just break it up into smaller pieces and he scarfs it up.
  • velvetvelvet
    Haha! Yes, Velvet does this all the time. It is soooooo cute! And when she is pacing she will go to all corners of the room. The pacing is also a very distinctive sort of strut/prance.
  • my ninja does it when he's looking for a hiding place. one time i gave him a homemade doggie cookie for going in his crate at night/bedtime... then i heard his whining so i checked up on him coz i thought something was wrong. he only whines inside his crate if something is wrong... but, nope, he was just pacing around his crate looking for a place to hide his treat!
    ninjarf21.tumblr.com
  • emmyemmy
    I don't give my shiba large treats, just little biscuits and bitesized treats he can manage easily because he gobbles too quickly. But almost every night he wanders around with his toys in his mouth and whines. I think it's hilarious....he's so loud. :)
  • NoodlesNoodles
    Nala does this too. She gets worked up if she can't find a hiding spot for her treat. Sometimes, if there's nowhere to bury it, she'll mock bury it, pushing the air around it with her nose as if there is invisible dirt that is covering it. So cute.
  • JacksMom13JacksMom13
    Jack does this too when he can't get into our bedroom to hide his treat (it's usually on my side of the bed at the edge under the comforter. He usually comes back and stares at me then drops it into my hand then takes it back (repeatedly.) I agree, it's pretty cute when they pretend to bury it under invisible dirt.
  • mcsassymcsassy
    Nova does this same exact thing when I give her a big cookie...she paces around the house whining, looking like she is trying to hide it somewhere.

I guess it's another shiba thing lol.
  • My Reiko half eats everything cowhide and hides the rest thru out the house. Sometimes he whines, but mostly quiet. He calls himself sneaking around hiding stuff so no one else can find it. If I spot him hiding something and he notices, he will go get it and hide it somewhere else.
  • mcsassymcsassy
    ^ "If I spot him hiding something and he notices, he will go get it and hide it somewhere else."

LOL
  • Foxy does the same and what I find funny is that it's usually hidden in plain sight. Cracks me up.
    Photobucket
  • mcsassymcsassy
    Just took this pic...post whining opera.

She is nesting her cookie lol.
    Post edited by mcsassy at 2012-02-29 23:06:21
  • Haha...get out. Zaius does this. I just thought he was weird.
  • anharchyanharchy
    Usually when Zami does this, it's because she wants me to break it into smaller pieces...because she's a princess.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Quakes does that when he's looking around for a place to hide his treat. It's usually for a high value treat!!
  • My pup does this when it's a hard treat. I don't have a clue why he is crying and pacing. He even stares at our feet and blocks us from leaving the room. I have never seen this before
  • jamiei1588jamiei1588
    Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Lambeau is starting to nip our feet when we do not hold a big treat or bully stick (seems like he think it is too tough for him to chew) then eventually he might try to eat it by himself with out us holding it for him. He also cries and paces through the doggy door, and I do not think it is to try to hide it. He will look frantic if we do not hold his bones/treats for him.
  • how old is he? could it be a teething issue? possibly his paws could hurt so he is having a hard time holding it himself. Did you do a basic pain test on him?

• jamiei1588jamiei1588
    He is now 8 months old. It did start around his teething time but it is continually getting worse. He nips the back of our legs as we leave the room. He does this when he wants to play too. It is not meant to be mean but sometimes he nips hard and I do not want him to continue that behavior when guests are over. I will look into the pain test. He holds some bones by himself but the treats he really really wants to eat he gets very strange about. (those natural peanut butter bones, bully sticks, dental chews, or some rawhide bones)
  • Yep. Indie does this. He takes his dental chew stick in his mouth and trots around whining. Eventually, he settles down and chews it.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Pretty normal, I agree. Kobe will whine until he finds(what he thinks) is a good hiding spot for his prize. A couple hours later he'll repeat the process all over again. Eventually, he'll consume his prize. It's all pretty comical to us!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • Romeo did this when he was teething, and it hurt him to chew it. He cried at it and carried it around until he found a nice corner to put it in.
    Owner at Foxtrot Creative Studio. Dog mom to Romeo.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I'm contemplating on making the switch from kibble to raw for Kira one day.

Has anyone's dog ever done the same thing with raw diet as they do with prized treats and walked around with it in their mouth rather than eat?
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • i feed ground raw and banjo eats the whole thing. To excersise his jaw I give him a bully stick every night. No issues. I can't do whole prey because banjo bad tried to swallow whole every bone meal I've tried and I lack storage space for whole prey.
  • BootzBootz
    Kira_Kira said:

I'm contemplating on making the switch from kibble to raw for Kira one day.

Has anyone's dog ever done the same thing with raw diet as they do with prized treats and walked around with it in their mouth rather than eat?

What did you give Kira? Bootz and Jackie had a slow transition... I had to hold the drumstick for her. Even now she won't touch the drumstick with her paw, but she eats it just fine by herself.

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @Bootz - I haven't tried raw yet, but I did pick up a frozen raw beef bone from the local pet store one time and she literally held it in her mouth for over an hour pacing and whining. I finally threw it away the next day because she ended up hiding it.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • BootzBootz
    @Kira_Kira

Introduce bones later. Start off slow with boneless chicken breast then move your way up to a drumstick. That's how I did it.

Edit to add: I chopped up drumsticks and wings into bite size pieces so they can taste the bone marrow and gnaw on it. Once they got comfortable, I gave them a full drumstick, well mainly bootz since she has the teeth for it. Jackie is too small lol
    Post edited by Bootz at 2014-12-03 22:49:33

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)