For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Supplements
  • BenihimeBenihime
    I was wondering what kind of supplements you give your dogs? I know about fish oil but that's all I have really given Benihime so far.

Thanks in advance!
  • jujeejujee
  • LosechLosech
    Conker eats prey-model raw. I give him Grizzly Salmon Oil and K9 Liquid Health glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM every day and Ark Natural's Gentle Digest (probiotic) every other day. I'm going to add a Vitamin E once I find one that I like.

Dogs who eat kibble usually don't need supplements but a lot of people add fish oil. If you give fish oil it's a good idea to give vitamin E like Jujee does.
  • shibahiroshibahiro
  • BenihimeBenihime
    Awesome! Thanks! Right now Benihime is on Blue Buffalo in the morning and then premade raw in the evening. Do you think I should start supplementing?
  • LosechLosech
    Since she eats good quality kibble and premade raw, probably not. Those should have everything she needs.
  • SayaSaya
  • cjcbcjcb
  • LaRen616LaRen616
  • InoushiInoushi
    He should be fine since he is on Arcana, it has a lot of added vitamins. The only thing you may want to consider adding are some fish oils.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Post edited by LeoJDHu at 2012-01-13 12:54:28
  • SayaSaya
  • cjcbcjcb
  • SayaSaya
  • I give Sukoshi "Get Naked" Joint Health chew treats. Takes care of her teeth and allows her to get glucosamine and shondroitin. There are other chews and biscuits as well under the "Get Naked" label:

http://www.petco.com/N_4294947485/Get-Naked.aspx?fromsearch=true&CoreCat=LookAhead
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    thanks for sarting this thread!! we were curious as to what should be given to a shiba,since hes on blue buffalo puppy kibble still we are going to start fish oill next month w/vit.E and looking for a good join supplement i saw lots of suggestions here but whats a good one that you guys trust with your healthy shiba? Brewster in 5 months old on the 18th of this month(if thats a factor)
  • InoushiInoushi
    Grizzly Salmon oil, though my boy does take ferret cod liver based oil as well.
  • deerparkdeerpark
  • SayaSaya
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
  • SayaSaya
  • I give Mikko treats that are loaded with glucosamine to help his arthritis. But that's about it.
  • LosechLosech
  • mattzmattz
    I supplement Grizzly's Salmon Oil into Etsuko's kibble feed of TOTW Pacific Stream... I do not supplement Vitamin E, what is this supplement for? I see over and over in this thread that people pair the two supplements together, can someone elaborate on this for me?

Also, I know shibas are known for luxating patellas and hip dysplasia... What are some mandatory supplements to include in my shibas diet to try to prevent these joint ailments?
  • MayamaMayama
  • LosechLosech
    @Mayama I believe that the Vitamin E and cancer thing was when it was in unusually high doses, like when it was being used to treat something? I saw a study on it but I can't remember where, and for the most part, as long as you don't overdo it, Vitamin E is okay. If I find it, I'll let you know.

@mattz LP and HD can be caused by genetics, joints not forming properly, or injury. I dunno exactly what caused my Shiba's LP but my guesses are bad genetics and early neuter by the shelter (it can mess up growth in dogs). A dog without LP can get it by twisting their leg wrong and wrenching the joint out of place, and when it does that, it scrapes against the cartilage and bone and can make it easier for it to pop out again.
    If your pup doesn't have it or HD, then you don't really need to supplement anything regularly.
  • mattzmattz
    So, I just wanted to post and say that GRIZZLY'S SALMON OIL is the BOMB! We've been using it for close to a year now and just yesterday I REALLY noticed the difference it has made in Etsuko's coat and nails. Her coat is more on the coarse side, but after this almost year of Grizzly's she is as SOFT as ever and her coat is SO SHINY!!! Great stuff for the better health of your pup! TRY IT OUT if you aren't already!
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    mattz- How much and how often do you use?
  • BootzBootz
    @shibamistress, its recommended to start giving the glucosamine around 1 year right? My babies are 9 months and I was being a paranoid parent trying to give them everything that is good, but was told to just wait until they turn 1 year. According to the vet they're fine now. No health/joint problems. I've been giving them salmon oil (everyday) and probiotic pills (once a week) I'm looking to get the glucosamine treats by zukes, but if its cheaper, probably going to give them pills.
  • catloreecatloree
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    I just found out a few days ago that Ryu has LP on both his back legs, i talked to my breeder and she recommended glucosamine and chondroitin supplements. She specifically mentioned Fidoflex from Farmacy Supplement and to look on www.kingwholesale.com for joint soft chew supplements. She uses them on her dogs and she knows other breeders that use them as well. I plan on looking into these products further but I would aslo like to know what other people are using to deal with mild LP?
  • shibahiroshibahiro
  • mattzmattz
    @brscrns - I just use the suggested amount on the bottle!
  • LosechLosech
    Conker's got LP (barely grade 1) but like I said above, supplements will not cure it, only help in the prevention of future arthritis caused by the kneecap slipping out of place.

Funny thing about joint supplements. A couple studies have found that glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM don't really do all that much in a healthy animal. They did find, though, that green lipped mussel extract worked quite well. Unfortunately it's a bit expensive, so I don't give it to Conker. I do on occasion experiment with the g/c/MSM stuff to see if I notice anything.
    So if your dog doesn't have an actual need for it, I wouldn't really bother, unless you want to be super really sure about preventing arthritis. Or something.
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    ok so i just called my vet's office and I am a little surprised, the file says he is a grade 2-3 on the right and a grade 2-4 on the left rear. They are supposed to call me back to discuss further. I am very surprised Ryu's would be so severe especially because he is from breeding stock that do not have joint problems.

Also to clarify from my other post i am putting links to the products my breeder mentioned:

http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/store/details.php?prodId=259&category=7

http://www.kingwholesale.com/Shopping/ProductSearch.cfm
  • SayaSaya
  • hiropuppyhiropuppy
    bumping this....

was wondering if anyone had any news/info on the "new" solid gold seameal formula since they were bought out? i know that was a while back, but i can't find anything in previous discussions about whether the newer version is ok to use.

we are running out of our stock from before the change, and i'm wondering whether we should switch to missing link? any thoughts/suggestions for new supplements would be awesome!
  • shibahiroshibahiro
  • hiropuppyhiropuppy
    i think it may have been.... almost a year ago, there was a company buy-out (so i read on the forum).... but haven't heard about any changes made, good or bad...
  • SayaSaya
  • TriggerTrigger
    Hello everybody,

I was very interested in this topic about supplements and find this one : Iceland Pure Sardine Anchovy Oil
    http://www.wag.com/dog/p/iceland-pure-sardine-anchovy-oil-211702
    But I don't know if it can be a good alternative to salmon oil (Omega 3 fatty acids, Omega 6 fatty acids, Vitamin E and others ingredients that I, honestly, don't know)
    Trigger is feeding with Acana pacifica, a little bit of canned wild salmon every day or lamb (by evanger's, I am not really sure about the quality of this brand, I'm a novice with american brand etc as I'm French but I saw it in the 5starts list of dogfoodadvisor.com) and he seems to LOVE raw eggs... (Once per week).

I found out that the most part of you have real good knowing about dog food and supplements for our shibas so I preferred ask about that, try to do the best for Trigger.

With thanks in advance for you help and your time.

PS : Trigger is only 15 weeks.
  • SayaSaya
  • LosechLosech
    Raw eggs work pretty good for the coat. Conker gets several a week. I dunno about sardine oil, I've never seen it around. I use fish oil (often a combo of fish like herring, sardine, and salmon) or plain salmon oil. Sometimes I give canned fish, but not for the oil content.
  • TriggerTrigger
    Thank @Saya and @Losech for your help :) I will try the sardine anchovy oil and let you know if Trigger love it and if it seems to be efficient. I'll continue with raw eggs he is so happy when I take an egg in the fridge even it's for me lol, and I'll start to introduce canned fish (I saw in an other thread that some of you guys adviced brunswick so I'll go with that, sardines in water of course ;) )
    Thanks again, this forum and you guys are just so helpful and awesome!

Oh by the way, Trigger LOVE evanger's wet food (wild salmon, rabbit, pheasant, and duck but he doesn't like the last one as much as the other) I have tried Nature's variety instinct, wellness and another one (I don't remember which one) and evanger's is by far his favorite.
  • phipsphips
  • SayaSaya

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)