For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Supplements
  • BenihimeBenihime
    I was wondering what kind of supplements you give your dogs? I know about fish oil but that's all I have really given Benihime so far.

Thanks in advance!
  • jujeejujee
    Nupro~
    Vitamin E every other day if I'm supplementing fish oil that week.
  • LosechLosech
    Conker eats prey-model raw. I give him Grizzly Salmon Oil and K9 Liquid Health glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM every day and Ark Natural's Gentle Digest (probiotic) every other day. I'm going to add a Vitamin E once I find one that I like.

Dogs who eat kibble usually don't need supplements but a lot of people add fish oil. If you give fish oil it's a good idea to give vitamin E like Jujee does.
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    I give Hiro Omega powder added to his kibble.
  • BenihimeBenihime
    Awesome! Thanks! Right now Benihime is on Blue Buffalo in the morning and then premade raw in the evening. Do you think I should start supplementing?
  • LosechLosech
    Since she eats good quality kibble and premade raw, probably not. Those should have everything she needs.
  • SayaSaya
    Fish oil and vitamin e is good.

Bella who is kibble fed gets a raw egg every so often Saya gets a egg once a week sometimes twice, but not often.

Saya is raw fed she gets solid gold seameal whenever she gets ground meat or with her eggs or caned fish. She mostly eats bone in and boneless items which I don't add anything to it.

When she was new to raw she got fish oil, but now I stopped when it ran out she seems to get enough omegas from her red meat and whole fish she gets.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • cjcbcjcb
    hello all, my vet recommended that I give Tochi vitamins (then again he also recommended puppy science diet).

Tochi is almost 13 weeks and eating Acana Pacifica at this point (grain-free kibble), should I supplement his food with anything?

Thanks,
    Tochi Satake | Red Shiba Inu | DOB: 10/15/2011 | Miami, FL
    http://tochitheshiba.tumblr.com/
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    My puppy gets puppy vitamins and joint supplement pills.

My male also gets joint supplement pills.

I will be adding salmon oil to their diet soon.
    Lauren

Sinister ~ 5.5 yr old black male GSD 3.11.09
    Draven ~ 16 month old male Dalmatian 6.20.13

Cats: Chaos, Mayhem, Monster, Wicked
  • InoushiInoushi
    He should be fine since he is on Arcana, it has a lot of added vitamins. The only thing you may want to consider adding are some fish oils.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    I have been giving Leo 1 pump of Grizzly Salmon Oil every day. I fed Taste of the Wild prior and am now feeding him Nature's Variety Instinct.

Is vitamin E mandatory when supplementing fish oil? I have not been giving Leo vitamin E and he is 21 weeks today...

FYI - Per cup, the NV Instinct kibble has "Vitamin E: 135.87 IU/kg".

For those that supplement vitamin E, what products are you using?

Thanks!
    Leo "JD" Hu | Cream Shiba Inu | DOB: 8/19/2011 | Southern California - LA/OC

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
    Post edited by LeoJDHu at 2012-01-13 12:54:28
  • SayaSaya
    I think what your feeding is fine is Tochi doing good on it firm poop, likes food, playful etc.?

I'm not a fan of science diet I mean I'm sure their prescription kibble works well, but for a healthy puppy I'd feed good quality kibble..

When Saya was on kibble she got grizzly salmon oil you can use different brand I liked grizzly's though..

She also go solid gold seameal too..

Now she doesn't get solid gold seameal much only in her ground meat.

She does get cranimal very berry(antioxidents) and cranimal vibe(Detoxification).

I no longer give her salmon oil because she gets raw saury, mackerel, smelt, and caned salmon, sardines, and some grass fed/free ranged meats and organs.. I read grass fed have lot more omega then feed lot meat.

I think with kibble if it's good quality then there's not much need to supplement with vitamins don't want to over do it..

I think salmon oil is good enough, vitamin E is good too if your giving salmon oil.

I like cranimals I think it's good and helps boost Saya's immune..

Condrotine and glucosamine might be good to give dunno at what age is good to start.

Saya gets chicken feet, beef gullet, trachea and scraps with cartilage on it I read those are good natural sources. Chicken feet are yummy treat to give even to a kibble fed dog shouldn't cause issue with digestion lot of it is bone, tendons, skin, and tiny bit of meat.

Saya also gets coconut oil with her meals she loves the taste and will lick it off my hand. I read it's good for their coat and some other benefits. I just give a table spoon a day most sites say to give small amounts and work up to table spoon For a puppy less then a tablespoon should be fine.. Like teaspoon or something.

Maybe give some caned sardines(in water kind), caned salmon, or caned dog food there's even caned tripe though being cooked probably doesn't have same digestive benefit of raw tripe..

Saya loves beef tripe caned or raw. I need get her some more..
    Photobucket
  • cjcbcjcb
    @Saya thanks for the recs.

Tochi likes his Acana food (first Wild Prairie - chicken, beef and fish, and recently Pacifica - 3 different type of fish) He is VERY playful and his poops are mostly firm, although sometimes (maybe once every two or 3 days), they get a little runny. No diarrhea though, so I haven't been concerned.

He is getting very few treats (only when he goes potty in the right place), as we are using his kibble to train him and we feed it to him 3 times/ day while we practice.
    Tochi Satake | Red Shiba Inu | DOB: 10/15/2011 | Miami, FL
    http://tochitheshiba.tumblr.com/
  • SayaSaya
    Cool Saya loves kibble as treats even when she ate kibble as meals she did tricks for them. :)
    Photobucket
  • I give Sukoshi "Get Naked" Joint Health chew treats. Takes care of her teeth and allows her to get glucosamine and shondroitin. There are other chews and biscuits as well under the "Get Naked" label:

http://www.petco.com/N_4294947485/Get-Naked.aspx?fromsearch=true&CoreCat=LookAhead
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    thanks for sarting this thread!! we were curious as to what should be given to a shiba,since hes on blue buffalo puppy kibble still we are going to start fish oill next month w/vit.E and looking for a good join supplement i saw lots of suggestions here but whats a good one that you guys trust with your healthy shiba? Brewster in 5 months old on the 18th of this month(if thats a factor)
  • InoushiInoushi
    Grizzly Salmon oil, though my boy does take ferret cod liver based oil as well.
  • Does anyone give their Shiba glucosamine supplements?
  • deerparkdeerpark
    We add flax seed oil to improve on dry skin for the Great Danes. I am curious, what brand of glucosamine supplement do you guys use?
  • That's what I'd like to know. =) Took Hiro to the vet this past weekend...the vet said that she can feel that his left knee cap is slightly loose. "Barely a stage 1". So I wanted to see if anyone's owner uses Glucosamine supplements.
  • SayaSaya
    Saya has spinal injury and stuff she is raw fed and I give her chicken feet, beef gullet, and soon beef trachea when I get it from my pet carnivore..

Those supposed to be natural source of condrotine and glucosamine.

I read Green Lipped Mussel Powder is good for joints. I been meaning to order it to try.

I also read .Deer Velvet Antler good for joints I think Brad used it for a bit dunno how well it works.

I might try the green lipped mussel and deer velvet antler supplement to see which I like best..

So far I'm mostly giving her natural sources since she isn't too bad and it seems to help she gets two chicken feet a week sometimes three.
    Photobucket
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    What vitamin E are you guys supplementing?

I supplement Grizzly Salmon Oil but have not been supplementing Vitamin E...
    Leo "JD" Hu | Cream Shiba Inu | DOB: 8/19/2011 | Southern California - LA/OC

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • SayaSaya
    I have given normal human kind need check it. I don't give it anymore though.

She seems do fine without it she doesn't get fish oil since she gets plenty caned fish and raw smelt, mackerel, and saury.
    Photobucket
  • I give Mikko treats that are loaded with glucosamine to help his arthritis. But that's about it.
  • LosechLosech
    I've used: K-9 Glucosamine made by Liquid Health and liked it's results. A 32 ounce bottle lasts a Shiba a long time. I have also used Zuke's Hip Action treats. I like them as well but don't use them often due to price. I'm currently trying out The Honest Kitchen's Lithe Tea but don't have an opinion on it yet.
    I don't give Grizzly salmon oil anymore since it's expensive. Instead I buy human-grade salmon or fish oil capsules in the store or in bulk online (cheaper!) Same with Vitamin E capsules, go with what's cheapest but still good quality. I try to find stuff that's not got ingredients Conker reacts to, but for the most part, any human-grade capsules work.

Keep in mind that supplements will not cure LP. It might help, might not, but the only surefire "cure" is surgery, and prevention. That's what I give joint supplements for, prevention, to lower the possibility of future arthritis and/or protect the joints against what damage may have already occurred.
  • thanks for the tip losech! yea.... I want to "prevent' him from his "barely" stage 1 LP from getting worse. =)
  • mattzmattz
    I supplement Grizzly's Salmon Oil into Etsuko's kibble feed of TOTW Pacific Stream... I do not supplement Vitamin E, what is this supplement for? I see over and over in this thread that people pair the two supplements together, can someone elaborate on this for me?

Also, I know shibas are known for luxating patellas and hip dysplasia... What are some mandatory supplements to include in my shibas diet to try to prevent these joint ailments?
  • mattz: glusocamine is a good preventative for LP.
  • MayamaMayama
    @mattz: There seems to be some research indicating that fish oil will lower the amount of vitamin E in the blood stream. That's why we should supplement it with fish oil (for humans as well).

Here's a few links I found regarding this topic:
    http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjhomemade2.html
    http://www.oilofpisces.com/vitamine.html
    http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-animal-products/organic-fish/health-benefits-of-fish-oil.html

There're also articles I read saying that vitamin E will increase the chance of cancer for humans, especially prostate and lung cancer. However, I haven't found any research about the negative effects on dogs yet.
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • LosechLosech
    @Mayama I believe that the Vitamin E and cancer thing was when it was in unusually high doses, like when it was being used to treat something? I saw a study on it but I can't remember where, and for the most part, as long as you don't overdo it, Vitamin E is okay. If I find it, I'll let you know.

@mattz LP and HD can be caused by genetics, joints not forming properly, or injury. I dunno exactly what caused my Shiba's LP but my guesses are bad genetics and early neuter by the shelter (it can mess up growth in dogs). A dog without LP can get it by twisting their leg wrong and wrenching the joint out of place, and when it does that, it scrapes against the cartilage and bone and can make it easier for it to pop out again.
    If your pup doesn't have it or HD, then you don't really need to supplement anything regularly.
  • mattzmattz
    So, I just wanted to post and say that GRIZZLY'S SALMON OIL is the BOMB! We've been using it for close to a year now and just yesterday I REALLY noticed the difference it has made in Etsuko's coat and nails. Her coat is more on the coarse side, but after this almost year of Grizzly's she is as SOFT as ever and her coat is SO SHINY!!! Great stuff for the better health of your pup! TRY IT OUT if you aren't already!
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    mattz- How much and how often do you use?
  • I give my Shibas whatever I have on hand, that is inexpensive, but it is usually human stuff. I buy fish oil capsules from Trader Joes or Sams Club. I used to give them this great glucosamine that was these little chewable squares that i got from walmart. They were orange flavored or something and my dogs liked them a lot. (They get so many pills anyway, I prefer not to have to add pills that have to be disguised in cheese or something, so chewables are better for us). However, those little chewable glucosamine squares are harder and harder to find, so one day I bought a bunch of dog treat type online, and that's what they have now.

Both my Shibas have/had LP. One had surgery and the other has not, but it's good to keep the joints in good shape, and glucosamine helps.

• BootzBootz
    @shibamistress, its recommended to start giving the glucosamine around 1 year right? My babies are 9 months and I was being a paranoid parent trying to give them everything that is good, but was told to just wait until they turn 1 year. According to the vet they're fine now. No health/joint problems. I've been giving them salmon oil (everyday) and probiotic pills (once a week) I'm looking to get the glucosamine treats by zukes, but if its cheaper, probably going to give them pills.
  • catloreecatloree
    Sadie & Elwood get Animal Naturals Joint Strong, which has glucosamine & chondroitin. My agility instructor recommended it. We just add a scoop to their food every day.

I've also been adding a tablespoon of Stonyfield Plain Yogurt lately because I have a few agility friends who swear that it helps prevent tooth decay. I saw an older Sheltie's teeth improve significantly after he started getting it daily, so I'm trying it out on my guys.

I need to add salmon oil to their supplement list, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    I just found out a few days ago that Ryu has LP on both his back legs, i talked to my breeder and she recommended glucosamine and chondroitin supplements. She specifically mentioned Fidoflex from Farmacy Supplement and to look on www.kingwholesale.com for joint soft chew supplements. She uses them on her dogs and she knows other breeders that use them as well. I plan on looking into these products further but I would aslo like to know what other people are using to deal with mild LP?
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    Hiro has a lp on his left hind leg. the vet said he's barely a stage 1. what stage did you vet say? i'm going get Liquid Health Glucosamine and Chondroitin. It received good reviews. You can get it from Amazon.
  • mattzmattz
    @brscrns - I just use the suggested amount on the bottle!
  • LosechLosech
    Conker's got LP (barely grade 1) but like I said above, supplements will not cure it, only help in the prevention of future arthritis caused by the kneecap slipping out of place.

Funny thing about joint supplements. A couple studies have found that glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM don't really do all that much in a healthy animal. They did find, though, that green lipped mussel extract worked quite well. Unfortunately it's a bit expensive, so I don't give it to Conker. I do on occasion experiment with the g/c/MSM stuff to see if I notice anything.
    So if your dog doesn't have an actual need for it, I wouldn't really bother, unless you want to be super really sure about preventing arthritis. Or something.
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    ok so i just called my vet's office and I am a little surprised, the file says he is a grade 2-3 on the right and a grade 2-4 on the left rear. They are supposed to call me back to discuss further. I am very surprised Ryu's would be so severe especially because he is from breeding stock that do not have joint problems.

Also to clarify from my other post i am putting links to the products my breeder mentioned:

http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/store/details.php?prodId=259&category=7

http://www.kingwholesale.com/Shopping/ProductSearch.cfm
  • SayaSaya
    Saya gets chicken feet for natural source I used give raw beef gullet, but ran out need order more.. I plan to get beef trachea too for her.

I read green lipped mussel stuff is good for joints I'm hoping find somewhere local for it if not I'll try the one hare today sells..

Saya doesn't have LP or HD, but with her spinal issue and way she walks I like give her some preventive.

I got some glucosamine condrotine chewables from our last dog Dink so I'm using that up also got 90 chewables of these one joint health chew ables not using them till Dink's are gone..

I never used the ones your breeder use, but you can give them a try if your breeder says they're good.
    Photobucket
  • hiropuppyhiropuppy
    bumping this....

was wondering if anyone had any news/info on the "new" solid gold seameal formula since they were bought out? i know that was a while back, but i can't find anything in previous discussions about whether the newer version is ok to use.

we are running out of our stock from before the change, and i'm wondering whether we should switch to missing link? any thoughts/suggestions for new supplements would be awesome!
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    @hiropuppy: why did they change it? i just got a 1 lb order. hmm.....
  • hiropuppyhiropuppy
    i think it may have been.... almost a year ago, there was a company buy-out (so i read on the forum).... but haven't heard about any changes made, good or bad...
  • SayaSaya
    I'm not sure just ran out of solid gold also tossed the container so couldn't check when it was made or whatever.

I'll have to check it next time I'm in the store..

I don't think I'll get anymore.. I'll probably just get 1lb thing of cranimal vibe if I want something with seaweed in it since it also has spirulina which supposed to be good stuff..

Since it's summer I have grass fed or free ranged items more often so I don't worry much on supplementing..

I just got green lipped mussel supplement so far I like it not sure if it has helped her just yet, but she seems more active and less snarky with neighbor's dogs. it supposed to be good for joints natural source of glucosamine and condroitin.

I'm going to try elk velvet antler for joint supplement too.

I'm now using springtime's joint health tablets and I like them so far got it for free when I bought stuff from them.
    Photobucket
  • TriggerTrigger
    Hello everybody,

I was very interested in this topic about supplements and find this one : Iceland Pure Sardine Anchovy Oil
    http://www.wag.com/dog/p/iceland-pure-sardine-anchovy-oil-211702
    But I don't know if it can be a good alternative to salmon oil (Omega 3 fatty acids, Omega 6 fatty acids, Vitamin E and others ingredients that I, honestly, don't know)
    Trigger is feeding with Acana pacifica, a little bit of canned wild salmon every day or lamb (by evanger's, I am not really sure about the quality of this brand, I'm a novice with american brand etc as I'm French but I saw it in the 5starts list of dogfoodadvisor.com) and he seems to LOVE raw eggs... (Once per week).

I found out that the most part of you have real good knowing about dog food and supplements for our shibas so I preferred ask about that, try to do the best for Trigger.

With thanks in advance for you help and your time.

PS : Trigger is only 15 weeks.
  • SayaSaya
    Acana is pretty good stuff I never fed it due to no store selling it.

Never fed that type of oil, but Saya gets caned sardines in water kind and she likes it so oil probably be yummy to her too.

Anchovy is good oily fish I think.

Not sure on evanger's never tried it.

Saya loves raw egg too she thinks it's the best thing.
    Photobucket
  • LosechLosech
    Raw eggs work pretty good for the coat. Conker gets several a week. I dunno about sardine oil, I've never seen it around. I use fish oil (often a combo of fish like herring, sardine, and salmon) or plain salmon oil. Sometimes I give canned fish, but not for the oil content.
  • TriggerTrigger
    Thank @Saya and @Losech for your help :) I will try the sardine anchovy oil and let you know if Trigger love it and if it seems to be efficient. I'll continue with raw eggs he is so happy when I take an egg in the fridge even it's for me lol, and I'll start to introduce canned fish (I saw in an other thread that some of you guys adviced brunswick so I'll go with that, sardines in water of course ;) )
    Thanks again, this forum and you guys are just so helpful and awesome!

Oh by the way, Trigger LOVE evanger's wet food (wild salmon, rabbit, pheasant, and duck but he doesn't like the last one as much as the other) I have tried Nature's variety instinct, wellness and another one (I don't remember which one) and evanger's is by far his favorite.
  • phipsphips
    So vitamin e and fish oil sound like the way to go.

this may be a stud question but will feeding a shiba fish account for the fish oil? if so, that'd be awesome. my roommate fishes a lot and cooks a lot of fish.
    thanks!
    Sunny: 6/Male/Red Sesame
  • SayaSaya
    Depends on the fish.. Oily fish would count, but if it's not then not really?

I've fed Saya blue gill after freezing it for four weeks.. I don't think it provided with much, but she enjoyed it.

I don't give fish oil, but do give her whole pacific saury, smelt, mackerel, and white fish. She also gets caned salmon, sardines and mackerel.

Be careful with salmon and trout due to salmon poisoning or whatever.

I think certain salmon is OK, but I dunno much on that.

Depends if dog likes it though some dogs don't care for fish.

Saya likes all kinds except cat fish which isn't too nutritious I just gave as treat before I cooked it for myself.

What kind fish you catch?

I don't know if it would replace need for it, but fresh food is good be sure to make sure kind of fish doesn't have too high of mercury.

I feel it does for Saya since she gets bit of oily fish and her organ meats, some boneless and heart, tongue is grass fed or free ranged.

Grass fed and free ranged meats have more nutrients then usual cuts.
    Photobucket

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)