For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
What other dogs do you own besides a Shiba?
  • We just brought home a mixed breed yesterday from the human society to be friends with our Shiba since she missed her doggy friends back east, who were all rescue mixed breed dogs. They're getting along far better than I could have dreamed! Not quite playing yet, though they played a very short game of chase, which made me so happy that I jumped for joy! I was just curious to see what other kinds of dogs everyone has, if any? Do you only have Japanese breeds? Other breeds? Mutts?
  • I have two shibas (who are separated all the time) and an American Akita who lives with the female Shiba. I had a GSD, but we lost him last spring to cancer, and got Oskar, the Akita, last summer after Kai died.
  • LosechLosech
    I have two Border Collie/Laborador Retriever mixes. Well not mine, my Mom's, but I feed, walk and generally care for them so I guess you could say they are mine.
    The BC/L mixes don't play no matter how hard Conker tries to get them to, plus having another dog for when I move out would be good since Conker likes canine company.
    Post edited by Losech at 2012-01-07 15:54:09
  • AraksAraks
    I have no Nihon ken (yet). I have one miniature pinscher and a macaw and a african grey parrot that bark too so I guess those count haha.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I have my shiba pack, a pomeranian, and their Caucasian Ovcharka.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • sunyatasunyata
    What? There are other breeds besides the Nihon Ken?! Haha.

Currently, I have two Shibas and a plethera of neighbor kitties. However, in the next couple of years, I will be adding at least one more Nihon Ken, if not two. :-D
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • curlytailscurlytails
    *points to signature* =)

I'm not committed to owning only Nihon ken, but I am drawn to spitzen, sighthound & pariah types.

My partner's preference in dogs is quite different. He says he'd like an Irish Setter and/or a Cocker Spaniel sometime in the future, which are really not my "kind" of dogs at all. But he also falls easily for just about any dog you put in his lap, so I'm counting on his weakness to keep our options open. Muahaha.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2011-10-21 14:06:47
  • jujeejujee
    I currently have a shiba, and a proud new owner of a Kai Ken. Well, I will be a proud new owner of a Kai Ken on Friday evening. =)
  • SayaSaya
    Catahoula Leopard Dogs are cool I got a catahoula mix she's 15 years old. =)

I did foster two pure Catahoula and man those two had tons of energy they chewed on my stuff a lot luckily they got homes. lol

I got Saya my shiba inu, Bella my two year old boxer, Dink our 15 year catahoula mix.

I'd love to own a hokkaido, kishu, or a kai ken one day..

I also have two corn snakes they are awesome. =) One is friendly and the other only tolerates handling for so long of a time so I don't bug her except to clean her messes.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • We are awaiting the arrival of snowball (A toy maltese) and simba (A red shiba). Weird couple. I have seen one other person try this Idea (they had a maltipoo) and i follow their blog http://kurashiba.blogspot.com/ We have had a shiba and our son, not that he's a dog but they were like the same hyperactive twins!
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    I have my Shiba boy (going on 3 years old), and a Shikoku girl (6-month old puppy). She's the bully.
  • Adonia1986Adonia1986
    Other than Sakura... I have a husband... does that count? ;) Other than that, my mom has a lhasa apso (Neemo) and we are looking at someday getting either another shiba, (husband wants) an akita, a lab, or a corgi.Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • I have Riley (red shiba 1 1/2 years old) and my sister moved in with me and brought her 3 year old Pompeian mix. Omg, they love each other! They are the same size (both 20 pounds) and they play great together. Although Riley wants to play more than Ollie, Riley clearly has more energy!
  • JudyJudy
    We have our male shiba, Frodo, and a female jindo/shepherd mix, Chelsie, as well as a foster shiba, Kashi.
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    I do not have a Shiba Inu but I do own 2 black German Shepherds.

Sinister is my 2.5 year old American Petlines/West German Showline male.

Malice is my 18 week old Czech/West German Working line female.

I will always have a German Shepherd in my life.
    Lauren

Sinister ~ 5.5 yr old black male GSD 3.11.09
    Draven ~ 16 month old male Dalmatian 6.20.13

Cats: Chaos, Mayhem, Monster, Wicked
  • GatsuGatsu
    I had 2 Siberian Husky's who passed away. They were 2 really awesome dogs. I did not treat them as nearly as good as I should have, I really regret not spoiling them. But right now Guts is the only dog in the house, and he is spoiled.

Here is a picture of Bandit. He passed away earlier this year. Bandit was really loyal. You could leave your food on the floor and he would not take it unless you gave the go ahead. He was such a softy too, he always wanted love an attention.
    Photobucket

This is Lobo he passed away last year. He was kind of a fatty, it was a bad idea to free feed him! But even in his old age, he still try to play like he was a puppy! He was incredibly smart too. He could turn door knobs, turn deadbolt locks, climb chain link fences, etc etc. Also when we got a cat, my parents thought the dogs would try to kill the cat. Lobo right away accepted the cat, and left her alone.
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2011-10-21 13:52:24
  • We were supposed to get an older Shiba for Toby but the owner decided to keep her . The kids were sad because Toby is more playful when their is another dog around. One of my friends that knew we had a Shiba called and said the pound had one and over 25 people were on the list for her but no one came to get her the day she could get out of their. We ran over to the pound and she was defiantly not a Shiba and was skin and bones (with over 15 little pups sitting their at 6 months old she had no chance). My kids instantly loved her so we adopted her. The vet that spayed her said she is most likely and Miniature American Eskimo/Pomeranian mix. Toby and her get along great and it seems to have given the old man (what my 4 yr old calls him) a hop in his step.
    (trying to post pics)
    Post edited by tobysmom at 2011-10-22 16:16:19
  • inubakainubaka
    we have two shibas (male & female), a beagle/shiba/lab mix and a beagle/bichon mix.
    volunteers4paws.wordpress.com
  • i got a lab/carolina dog shes 4 months now, my shiba and her love each other!
  • HamletHamlet
    I grew up with West Highland White Terriers and our family Westie just passed away last spring (ripe ol' age of 16-17!). The other dogs in our extended family are all daschunds, so that's what I have most experience in outside of Shibas. The daschunds and Shibas don't always get along well since the hot dogs are such lazy bums and the Shibas want to play! I also find it interesting the struggles my family goes through to keep the daschunds trim and how they are always shocked that Hamlet and Juliet might not eat a treat or finish dinner if they get distracted!

I think we're Shiba folks for life, though :-)
  • SayaSaya
    Briannawilks got any pictures of your lab/Carolina dog? just curious.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Fuji just got a little Brofur. We rescued a 6 mo old White and Brindle Jack russel Mix this weekend and boy are they 2 peas in a pod! They love each other. They both have exactly the same play style - which is to say rough:) Shelby is a velcro dog so maybe a little will rub off on Fuji!
  • ehuaiehuai
    hey just a question, I have a shiba who is about 3 months old now he saw like 4 dogs yesterday and got extremely scared anxious and whiney is this normal?? or it is because he hasnt seen many dogs yet?? but last time he saw one female golden retriever he was completely fine, i dont get it lol.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    @ehuai -Sounds like your Shiba is overwhelmed by numbers. Do a search on socialization on this forum. There is plenty of information here. When my girl Penny was about 13 weeks old I took her to the dog park with my other Shiba who was the only dog she knew. She was quite anxious and growling. But after socializing her she does quite well in large groups now (10 + or more dogs at a time).
    犬竜
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    As a kid we had a Bichon Frise, Shih-Tzu, Min Pin, and a Jack Russell/Daschaund mix (rescue). All except the Shih-Tzu are still alive.

Our Shiba is my wife's first dog and the first dog I consider to be truly mine since I get to pay all his expenses... haha
  • chibichibi
    @jujee - congrats on your new pup!! :)

I have a minipin and shiba: Chewie (9.5 years) & Chibi (2 years), respectively.

Instagram: @kathyphi
    FB: www.facebook.com/the.chibi.inu
  • britkotsubritkotsu
    I had a toy poodle growing up and have owned a rough collie, and borzoi before my shiba. We have also fostered numerous dogs my favorite was a border collie/pomeranian mix. Cutest dog ever. Now we just have our shiba.
  • catloreecatloree
    We have a Pomeranian named Sadie. She isn't Elwood's biggest fan, but she tolerates him pretty well. He's just a little too hyper for her. Maybe once he gets a bit older they'll be better friends. Although I have caught them cuddling together once or twice....

January 6, 2011 - Elwood & Sadie cuddling
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • devildevil
    We have Toshi, a Male Shiba and Oreo, a Male English Bull Terrier... I know, a wired and daring combination..
  • hkfirewolfhkfirewolf
    I have a Netherland Dwarf named Violet (3 years old) and I also live with the family Rottweiler named Vicky (8 years old).
    Owned and loved by "Jade"
    ~ DOB: 5/18/11~ Cream Shiba ~
  • Fawkes702Fawkes702
    We just adopted another shiba (black and tan) for my female (red). Here they are exhausted after playing rough.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Fawkes702Fawkes702
    Oops I read this thread wrong- sorry!
  • I have my baby tartchi 7yo shiba and hubby has a germanshephard we also have a scottishfold cat (who tartchi would eat given the opportunity)and a hymilayan persion (who tartchi is scared of) about 20 chickens and 2 ducks. Contrary to most opinions tartchi has never chased any chickens infact he has made friends with the rooster and let's him eat from his dog bowl.
    5 kids and a shiba, call me crazy, but i wouldnt change if for the world
  • KimbaKimba
    I have just one Shiba Inu, 1yo 'Rocco'.

Otherwise, I'm fairly focused on my two beloved Miniature Pinschers, 'Gisele', and her daughter 'Liberty'. I have a litter planned from Gisele in the next couple of months, from which I will be keeping at least one pup. Tragically, I just recently lost my precious and beautiful 'Wyatt', who was Gisele's son, and my shining little star. Wyatt was only 2yo. His death devastated me, completely broke my heart, and I'm struggling badly with the loss. I adored Wyatt beyond belief, he was my sunshine. I miss him very much.

I also have an Italian Greyhound, 'Peaches'. I love Italians, they are the sweetest creatures on Earth. I also had Peaches's mum 'Fawn' until she passed away close to her 15th birthday last year, as well as Fawn's brother, 'Rizzo', whom I rescued as a pup dieing from a heart defect. I got Rizzo heart surgery and kept him. After his surgery, he was fit and healthy until he died of cancer at 13yo.

We also have a silver brindle Whippet, 'Tuffy'.

And my husband has an red Australian Cattle Dog, 'Tank'.

I had an American Akita, 'Rowdy', who passed around his 12th birthday last year.

Miniature Pinschers, Shiba Inu, and Italian Greyhounds are the three breeds I'm devoted to, and wish to have in my family always. But if I were to get a new breed tomorrow, it would be a Schipperke. I think they are bewitching. I also like Huskies, Basenjis, and Boston Terriers.

As far as other SPECIES go...we have two turtles, 11 Quarter Horses and Paints, and five pet cows (in addition to our 200 head of Santa Gertrudis cattle), between our 30-acre horse property at home and our 2,000-acre farm.
    Post edited by Kimba at 2012-04-22 18:42:32
  • Other than Okami, I've got two Great Danes at the moment. The female is my mom's dog and she's getting a bit elderly. The male is a younger foster looking for a home! Seems that no one want a Dane for some reason, all our potential adopters have fallen through =/

Even though I love the idea of having a diverse pack of dogs of all different shapes, sizes, and breeds, I'm still planning on another Shiba in about a year or so XP

Other than dogs, we also have about 9 cats (most of which are fosters, lol), a bird, and I'm getting two snakes this summer :). Can't wait!
  • dmarie485dmarie485
    I have 1 Shiba. We live with a yellow lab mutt. And my parents have an Australian cattle dog that we often visit. They all get along very well. Although I must say my Shiba is the most energetic so he tends to run circles around the others.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger
    Zoey the Schipperke
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
    Post edited by BuckyBadger at 2012-04-23 12:36:41

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)