For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Bicycle with a Shiba Anyone?
  • JuniJuni
    Yes it's a bungee cord. It is strong enough to hold her weight. The seat belt accessory will work fine, I used to use one.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Ok thanks so much. Can't wait to get mine and try it out!
  • pyleapylea
    Omg @Juni that pic of her in the basket is so cute.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Boo after they attempted to order the basket for us, they found out that it isn't available and really isn't produced anymore because they were acquired by a new company or something. So back to trying to find basket options... They recommended like a milk crate and plumbers tape. That sounds pretty sketchy to me but idk.
  • KaijuKaiju
    Maybe something like this would work?

https://sites.google.com/site/dogbikecarrier/

Similar to the milk crate idea I guess, but seems slightly more secure to me. Although for the carrier rack I would probably get one that attaches to the rear axel as well as the seat post, since that will support more weight. I've been trying to come up with something stronger than zip ties to attach the crate to the rack, but so far haven't come up with to much. So maybe it's not any less sketchy than your bike shops idea, thinking it through, ha.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Thanks! I'm looking into ordering a basket from like the UK depending on how much shipping is... The bike shop was telling me that zip ties are sketchy and they recommended plumbers tape... But I've never even used it... Like it doesn't sound all that durable to me. D: I'll definitely look for a bike rack that can support more weight! I suppose I'm open to trying to make one myself as long as I can trust its durability. But hopefully I can figure out how to ship one.. Even though it's probably pricier, I want something that I can trust the quality of, and I'm not the handiest person out there.. xP
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2016-05-24 20:24:05
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Woohoo I was able to order the basket from the Amazon uk site! It'll take a bit longer to ship here and shipping is like $20, but actually came out to be a lot cheaper than ordering it via my local bike shop. So glad!
  • LilikoiLilikoi

Bike basket just got here. It's so big lol. He has room to stand up in it and all. Hopefully it won't be too heavy or awkward. Going to bike shop later to make sure it'll be attached securely, so I'll be sure to get a pic of him in it on the bike.
  • JuniJuni
    I told you :-)
    No it looks fine and you can use the extra space for whatever else you want to bring.

My boyfriend suggests adding extra security with zipties.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Haha yeah you were right @Juni. I thought since Ozzy will probably be a bit bigger than Juni I should be safe and get the big one. :P I'll try it out later today and if needed I'll definitely add zip ties, thanks! I did get a bungee cord too. :) I guess it's always handy to have a bit of extra space if needed, and as long as it isn't really awkward or cumbersome, I think it'll be great! Will test it all out in a few hours when we drive to the bike shop.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Sneak peek

Working up to it slowly but he's doing great. :)
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    A part of me wants the dog to wear a bicycle helmet
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
    Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2016-05-31 23:48:00
  • JuniJuni
    It looks great! Ozzy looks like he has done that a thousand times already.
  • dougfoodougfoo
    The only challenge I had was finding a basket with mounts for weight - I got a OGK (japanese maker ?) generic one (biggest I could find) and a generic adjustable rear rack that fit my large wheels & existing mount holes on the frame (required a little bending). Then a cargo net and tied up an unused leash to "safety" lock her in. All via Amazon (JP)

She seems perfectly content on the few sample rides I took her on (15-20min max so far). No barking, no struggling, she seems to enjoy the scenery :)

I think I can ditch the net, I was being extra careful :)
    Post edited by dougfoo at 2016-06-01 03:26:33
  • @foxylover oh my gaaawdddd!! I'm melting inside!

I'm laughing because I was going to comment this thread about how much my dog does NOT like to run with me while I bike. She absolutely refuses, but then I saw all these posts of shibas in carts, lol so I guess I'm not the only one!!!

I have a neighbor whose about 70 years old that rides around with a little cavalier in his front basket every morning. I'd love if Hanna or Boo could be in the front but definitely not happening. Can anyone suggest a basket or cart for 2? I'm thinking that Burley would be fine but don't seem to find one in my area
  • kbs800mkbs800m
    I purchased the WalkyDog Plus directly from www.thedogoutdoors.com and my boy Charlie loves it! Be sure to get the 2' extension leash as the standard cord is not long enough to fit a Shiba. From our house in Montana there is a one mile paved bike path which intersects with a half mile gravel road to a National Forest trailhead. We usually go for a 2-3 mile hike along the river, through sagebrush meadows or in a spruce/fir forest and then bike back to the house. It's quite a workout for the little guy!
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I looked at a few like attachable trailers for dogs (like the ones for kids). They have some decent options on Amazon I think, but that's kinda hard since you can't check them out in person and all. I'd probably get one of those if I were doing much longer distances, and might get one some day. It's just a little more inconvenient for riding around town
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    @imBLASIAN - I had ordered the snoozer one for the back of the bike mount the day before my and bf's bikes were stolen hah. Stupid irony. I cancelled that order but decided that it didn't seem very weatherproof and might got hot, so I went with a basil basket instead. xD
  • Hi @Lilikoi -

Would you be able to provide an update on the Basil Pasja basket? I'm thinking of getting one and the breeder said my shiba will probably be around 25 pounds.
    - Was the large size (50cm) too big? Specifically, I think the measurements are 50 x 42 x 33 cm (LxDxH)
    - The pictures don't show up anymore. If it's not too much trouble, could you post them again so I can see what it'll look like?
    - Do you have any other recommendations for securing a shiba in the basket?
    - Did you buy any other equipment to attach the basket securely to the bike?

Thank you for any info!
  • JuniJuni
    I also used to use the Basil Pasja basket. I found the Large to be a bit too big although it was sometimes convenient because I could use the space for a small bag too. I never used the net on top but attached a device at the bottom where I could secure my dog.
    I use something like this nowadays https://m.bikester.se/unix-venizio-cykelkorg-svart-476829.html. I bicycle quite a lot and this basket is more durable and a better fit to the bike. The Basil came out too far back which made the balance of the bike a bit off.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I do feel like it's a bit big hahah. I love it and still use it fairly often, but it definitely throws the balance with being so bulky. I'd probably prefer a kind of metal/mesh style one like Juni's, especially if it was lighter / less bulky. There is definitely plenty of room for Ozzy in the basil pasja and he's about 22 pounds. The last time I got any pictures was like on July 4th. We biked to the local festival and left early before the fireworks, but we could still hear them on the ride home and Ozzy was much more comfortable being able to lie down and hide in the roomy basket. We tried to get inside before it all started but of course it was ridiculously busy and hard to navigate through all of the people walking towards the firework display haha.

Anyway, I'll add a picture from that day.

I don't use the cage thing on the top, but I am super strict about having Ozzy remain seated while we're in motion haha. He does very well in it now that he knows the drill. Also, I bought a bungee cord (it's the yellow you can see wrapped around the side/bottom of the basket in the pic) and attach it to the basket and a seat belt / leash thing with a carabiner connected to Ozzy's harness. Of course I also had to buy a rack for the back of the bike and went with one of the most sturdy, strong ones I could find at our local bike store. I actually still really want to get a trailer for the back of the bike since I'm sure that'll be more stable and I would be able to ride much longer distances with Ozzy and not have trouble with like dirt roads. With the basket, every little bump makes balancing more of a challenge. xD

Edit - I’ve also looked into something like this, wondering if it would be more stable (or if Ozzy would sit too tall and would block my view haha):
    https://www.thedogoutdoors.com/buddyrider-dog-bicycle-seat-attachment.html
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-11-22 08:18:54
  • JuniJuni
    I also use a bungee cord (couldn't remember the English word for it earlier) and a seat belt attachment .
    I've never seen such a dog basket as in your link @lilikoi! Not sure Juni would like it.
  • Thank you both for your responses!! I think I'll go ahead and order it since it's on sale :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)