For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Bicycle trailers for dogs?
  • DjinnDjinn
    We don't have car licences and although I had fantasies about getting a sidecar so we could take the dogs with us by motorbike, it's looking expensive and complicated. In the meantime I an itching to do a roadtrip and so I'm thinking about attempting a cycling holiday, staying at campsites and taking the puppies in either a child or dog bicycle trailer. Has anyone ever used a trailer? The dog specific ones like DoggyRide had nice design features like a sunroof they can stick their heads out of, and you can use the trailer for cargo with the dogs aren't in it. On the other hand, ones designed for kids have harnesses and I am guessing better suspension. Any advice?http://sopheliajapan.blogspot.com
    Post edited by Sangmort at 2011-09-21 01:35:44
  • myamamomyamamo
    Our friend Uni has two "servants" that are avid cyclists. Uni travels in the Doggyride. Here is their blog....
    http://myshibaisadiva.tumblr.com/post/2334587703/human-no-2-the-lady-in-waiting
  • XabiXabi
  • DebDeb
    I have a doggy ride trailer. It works well but has pretty much no suspension, but neither does my bicycle. Ted likes riding in it.
  • DjinnDjinn
  • DjinnDjinn
  • XabiXabi
  • XabiXabi
  • Ha ha! I was traded mine as I did some design for the people that sell them in the UK. They are not cheap, but you can find second hand ones, they are very robust and work just as well than brand new. If it's not worth it, there are other great cargo bikes out there which would mean you could carry dogs, groceries, and your bags around safely.

I personally don't like trailers I think they can be dangerous, I like to have the dogs in front of me so I can keep an eye on them!
  • XabiXabi
  • Ha ha! There are lots of more affordable cargo bikes around, or you could always get a strong butchers bike with front and rear baskets, one for each shiba!
  • YumeYume
    @Takoyaki - Did you star in Stephen Fry's 'Gadget Man' modelling the pet toys?
    I am desperately seeking some means of cycle transport for my boy, Yume. We're also from the UK and would be thrilled to find a cargo-bike such as yours - Have you any word on any affordable/reliable dealers in the UK?
  • JuniJuni
  • YumeYume
    @Juni - A great picture! What wonderful means of travel. I have considered the basket option, but was exploring the possibilities of a cargo-bike first. My budget does deem the basket a more plausible option right now though...
  • JuniJuni
  • Also depends how heavy you are, I used to have Tako in my front basket but she grew out of it. You can also look on Velorution (google the shop) they have Butchers or Postal bikes that can carry heavy loads without affecting steering.
  • I got a front facing backpack to carry Hiiro in while I ride my bike.
  • DjinnDjinn

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)