For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Australian shibas need help
  • MarlenaMarlena
    Hi,
    I have been watching this message on dogzonline for months now. The situation is heartbreaking -- an older breeder is seriously ill and can no longer care for three of his old dogs. I have spoken to this guy before, and he is very nice and genuine. If there are any people in the southern hemisphere reading this, PLEASE consider adoption... I would gladly do it myself, but I already have two shibas (one who was 8 when I adopted her), and I just had a baby 3 weeks ago... Anyway, here is the ad:
    Ph : (03)54632290
    Email : Send Email

This is the last message I have for Dogsonline viewers.

Sadly I have been diagnosed with a terminal illness and will no longer be able to care for my beloved Shibas.
    I am asking for kind, loving, forever homes for 3 Shiba Inus

Kalatara The Widowmaker - an 8 year old Black/Tan male.
    Aust.Ch. Kalatara Christmas Gift. red 8 yo speyed female
    Kalatara Yum Yum also 8 yo. red female and also speyed

If you can open your hearts and homes to these aged dogs I and they will be forever grateful.

Please contact Joan Holmes at tarkirra@bigpond.com or phone
    (03) 54611057 - or Mobile 0408 054306 for more details , photos and information.

To all Shiba Inu owners, breeders and lovers - Goodbye, God Bless.
  • JenngamJenngam
    How sad! I hope they find a loving owner in Australia soon!
  • That is so sad....esp. the end! Hope they find a home for those three....Is there a Shiba rescue, or just a general rescue he could be referred to?
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2011-03-10 17:41:19
  • MarlenaMarlena
    No unfortunately there isn't... I am going to print out this info and place it in a few vets and grooming salons, but I fear the situation is hopeless. Very few people want to take on 8 year old dogs...
  • Is there a local humane society or society for prevention of cruelty to animals (SPCA) that might help place these dogs?
  • curlytailscurlytails
    That is so incredibly sad...
    I will repost this on the Basenji forum. Not sure what kind of networking exists amongst Australian breeders, but there are a few on that board.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Marlena, do you suppose you can call and check on the situation, since you say it's been months? I would love to hear that all the shibas have already found homes, and the ad just hasn't been updated, but it would be good to know approximately when this SOS was put out.

Thanks.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • An Australian friend I have on another forum, though, noted that the RSPCA is a useful resource, though one the breeder should know about...

I know there are rescue groups--if not a breed specific one--as I have another friend that fosters dogs for a rescue.

I do wonder if this is old, too, as apparently there is also this post: http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/member.asp?name=ERNIEWARREN
    which is about younger dogs....same breeder....and he sounds a little less desperate in this one....

All around a sad situation.
  • MarlenaMarlena
    The ad you found was the one I noticed, a couple of months ago. Then the one about the older dogs appeared and disappeared, so I thought everything was okay. But then a few days, the ad I posted came up again. I guess he was able to adopt out the younger dogs, but the old ones attracted no interest. And I suppose his illness must be advancing, so he is increasingly desperate... I don't know if the RSPCA can help. Like most animal rescue services, they would only hold the dogs for a week or so, and then get rid of them. I think that's why he is so eager to find real homes for them.
  • ladyritaladyrita
    Hey there Marlena and fellow forum users,

Just found out that the family across the road (they have a white female) is adopting one of Ernie's dogs. Now we'll have 3 shibas in the neighbourhood (which is sooo rare in Melbourne). Unfortunately, we're not in a position to adopt another dog just yet but thought I'd share this great news with you :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)