For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Issues with hardwood floors and slipping
  • My shiba is slipping like crazy on my hardwood floors. Her nails are newly clipped and there's not an excess of fur around the area, so I know it's not that.

Have other people experienced this? Did the dog eventually get used to the flooring?
    We have a lot of throw rugs, but every so often she'll be running (fetch is her favorite game) and will slip, and I'm really afraid she's going to get hurt!

I've heard boots can help, and I don't think she'd have a problem with wearing them, but when looking up reviews of boots made for that purpose about 50% of them said it made the slipping worse... Any recommendation?
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    I think I read somewhere that Musher's Secret helped with slipping on hardwood floors.
  • Koni B.Koni B.
    Our house has hardwood with some carpeted area. I worried at first about Koni slipping on the hardwood, but he doesn't seem to care at all. He shows no preference for playing on the safer carpet areas, and he even seems to have a lot of fun spinning out on the hardwood. Have you seen the video of dogs "sledding" down a snowy hill by lying on their sides and pushing off? I think Koni likes sliding around.

You want to be a little careful if your pup is really young because with soft baby bones she could be more likely to be injured if she runs into something. But, I would say long-term she will get used to the floors and also be hearty enough to withstand using it as slip & slide.
    Post edited by Koni B. at 2011-02-23 19:39:56
  • Brscrns- thanks! I'll look into it!

Koni- She's actually an adult I adopted, so I'm worried about joint issues that may arise (though her joints are all in good condition now).
    haha, she definitely is using it as a slip and slide now, though I'm not too sure she's happy with that.
  • We live in a carpeted townhouse. When we visit my parents house which has hard wood floors, Riley will actually find the carpeted areas of their house to lay down in. He will come in the living room to hang out, play and get pet, but prefers the carpet when he lays down. Either its the carpet or the wood stove which makes it 85 degrees in there! Maybe your shiba had carpets where she lived before. On a different note, maybe its like the car. When Riley was a baby he was so clumsy in the car! So clumsy, he could stay standing for the life of him! But as he's gotten older he's learned how to lean against the breaks/gas and turns. He's actually very stable now. Maybe your shiba will get used to the hard wood floors, it just might take time. How long have you had her?
  • I've had her only a week, but it's like you said- she'll search for the few carpeted areas to lay on and will sometimes even takes mall pieces of her food over to that area to eat it there. The breeder didn't have her on carpet, but the floor was very textured- not nearly as slick.

I'm really hoping she'll get used to it, and it'll be like Riley in your car- but whenever I play fetch with her, or she gets excited, or even when she gets let out of her crate before I wake up and she stands up to sniff my face (Super cute, btw), I'm a little worried she's going to hurt herself.
    In the meantime I'll look into booties (which hopefully she'll wear....) and mushers secret (which from some other forums people say has mixed results, or minimal results)
  • bobc33bobc33
    My entire downstairs is hard wood floors and the two pups have no problem with it. It is quite funny to watch them play and do the Shiba 500, they both make allowances perfectly for the sliding they do at the end of the room as they turn around at full speed.

Now if I can just get Scout to stop digging holes in the darn hardwood floor!
  • Did they have to get used to it? And if so, how long do you think it took?

She is not doing well on the flooring at all. :(
  • bobc33bobc33
    I never noticed any problem even when I first got them. They slide frequently, but they don't slip and/or fall so I don't worry about them getting injured. Hope yours gets used to the floor soon.
  • We have bamboo floors throughout and they are extra slippery. At first Jack was on ice - slipping every where, sliding into walls and falling over when scratching himself. He always finds a rug or couch to lay on and now positions himself to play tug on the rug. He's does a cool skid to stop when running to avoid hitting walls or doors or leaps on a rug to stop sooner. He got used to it really quickly - a few weeks and he figured out to stop a little sooner by putting his butt down or doing a bow so he doesn't wipe out.

I noticed that the floors have deterred him trying to jump on tables or counters - he has to try to be more delicate and sneaky but he's too short and it has deterred his 500s some. He still does them, but he does a U shape on our sofas then a long run down halls, slide, skid to a stop, roll and off again, repeat.

I wouldn't use Musher's secret. We use it for his paws with the snow and ice and he can barely walk on the floors right after we put the stuff on - it amplifies the slippery factor. We put the Musher's secret on him right by the door on the rug otherwise he has some trouble getting enough traction to walk normally.
  • We've had hardwood floors since day one in every apartment we've had (we move a lot) and Aurora hasn't had too much of an issue with it. We have bamboo floors in our new house and they are indeed extra slippery, but she's pretty much figured it out. She's learned to not run too fast because she knows she'll slip if she does! But we are getting FLOR carpet tiles for our hallway because we like to play fetch in the halls and I get scared that she's going to slip and hit the wall at the end and hurt herself. I'd say get some area rugs and runners where she likes to run/play most.
  • I was always concerned about this. I have hardwood floor and when Hiro goes and fetches his ball, he slips and slides and does the spread eagle with his two front paws. Will this cause joint issues in the long run?
  • we are staying at my in-laws and they have hard wood flooring... our pup seeks out the carpeted areas to lie down, but when he runs around he hasn't been sliding... which i was expecting. but yeah, we can tell that in his eyes carpet>>>>> hardwood.
  • So she's gotten a little more used to it, just in the past day or so, and the only time we have a problem now is when she tried to get up on something, or when she's excited.

Thanks for the feedback on Musher's secret! I'm glad I hadn't bought it yet!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Bump!!!

My fiance and I are in the process of buying a new house and will hopefully be closing and moving in around April which is about 2 months away.

I'm a little nervous because unlike the carpeted house we have been renting for the past 3 years, this house is all hardwood floors.

I'm worried about Kira not being as comfortable because of this and of course I plan on purchasing area rugs, runners, etc. I'm also trying to clip her nails more often so they get shorter and won't click on the floors. She has a plethora of beds so they will also be utilized as much as possible.

Does anyone have more tips they can offer to help with our transition?
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • I have no tips on the transition other than lately, I keep seeing a lot of dogs with dr. buzby's toe grips in houses with hardwood floors. We have laminate in the majority of our space and Nym clearly prefers playing on the rugs. She wont do the same tricks that she does on the rugs on the laminate.

Good luck on the house! We're starting that same process.
    Post edited by lauratherose at 2015-02-03 08:48:53
  • We have this same issue (lots of hardwood floors).

This may sound silly, but what about using a huge rug (lowe's has them cheap normally) and slowly buying smaller ones until Kira is acclimated?

• sunyatasunyata
    @Kira_Kira - I think she will transition fairly smoothly.

I will give you an example:
    When B&N were younger, I had a house with carpeted bedrooms, but hardwood floors every where else. The dogs did great with both surfaces. When I moved into a house with all hardwoods, it took a little transition for Bella to get used to jumping on the bed from hardwoods, but she figured it out pretty quickly.

Fast forward to now (I guess 7 years later), three more houses with all wood floors later and Bella is just now starting to have issues with the hard woods. But she is 10 and has some medical issues. Nola, on the other hand, has never really jumped on the bed (carpet or hardwood), and will only do so when she REALLY wants up (say, her favourite person is sitting on the bed, or there are treats involved).

I do keep an area rug in the living room, and they have their beds throughout the house to lay on. Nola often prefers to lay on the hardwood floors since they are cooler than the rugs or beds. Bella is a princess and can only lay on soft stuff (you met her, you know how she is!).

And kind of a funny story related to carpet/hardwoods... Last month my SO redid the floors in his living room, taking out the carpet and replacing them with hardwoods. The first time the dogs went over there after the change was HILARIOUS. They were so freaked out and kept forgetting that there was no carpet in the room anymore. It was like an ice rink. It only took them a few days to adjust to the change, but it still cracked me up to see them sliding around.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • It's all fun and games until you have a 6k vet bill to fix a ruptured CCL.

A friend at work had to pay for two CCL surgeries after her dog (a little papillon) was startled while visiting her mom's place - the pup slid halfway across the freshly waxed dining room floor. Three years later her pup still actively refuses to walk on wood/tile surfaces - she'll sit at the edge of the carpet/rug and bark for someone to pick her up.
  • BootzBootz
    My bedrooms are all carpet but my living room/kitchen/dining room on the main floor is all hardwood. I do have a living room rug as well. My dogs adapted to it well. I play fetch with my little one all the time and she's gotten so good with the hardwood, she knows when to stop so she can slide into the wall (lol, sounds worst than it actually is)

Just monitor your shibas and make sure they don't over do it. For example when my shiba does the 500s, I herd her into the 3rd floor where the carpet is, to avoid her slipping on the hardwood.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Just remember, if you use a rug on a slick surface, might be a good idea to use a underpad, to prevent slipping. I suppose it depends on the type of fabric, but a throw rug can be even worse than the surface itself(thinking of a fresh dusting of snow on a layer of ice...nasty)

We have hardwood, laminate and carpet. I'm actually pretty impressed with how quick Kobe gets around on the slicker surfaces. As a pup he spun out a few times, but he's gotten used to it and knows the limits.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • sunyatasunyata
    Kobe1468 said:

Just remember, if you use a rug on a slick surface, might be a good idea to use a underpad, to prevent slipping. I suppose it depends on the type of fabric, but a throw rug can be even worse than the surface itself(thinking of a fresh dusting of snow on a layer of ice...nasty)

I second this, but not for the same reason. If area rugs/mats are not secured with furniture or non-slip pads, my dogs have a tendency to play "rug surfing". It is quite funny to watch: They run on the hard wood, jump on the rug, and surf across the floor until the rug bunches up against something. Funny, but annoying to have to fix the rug and put the furniture the rug knocked out of spot back.

Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Thank you for everyone's tips, I'm definitely going to look into an underpad for the area rug, didn't think about that.

Kira will probably end up being like Bella and only lay on soft stuff (because she is a princess as well).

I'm sure she will be fine, I'm just super paranoid about her comfort and she'll probably not even be bothered by it. :P
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • @Kira_Kira-I agree with the others about buying area rugs and using underpads under each rug. Quake was used to having all carpeted areas in his two previous homes and I have all hardwood floors. I also have large area rugs with underpads and he likes laying on the rugs. He has not had any issues with walking on the hardwood floors. He likes laying on the hardwood floors in the summer time even when the AC is on full blast!! I think Kira will adjust just fine. If your new home has a staircase, I would suggest putting some anti-slip rubber or some sort of carpet on each step to prevent Kira and yourself from slipping!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)