For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
tiny bald spot - help?
  • is this normal? it's the size of a pencil eraser and i just noticed it this afternoon. i could swear it wasn't there yesterday. ninja's has been shedding a lot but this is the first bald spot. he also had thinning hair on his "armpits" but no broken or irritated skin.
    ninjarf21.tumblr.com
    Post edited by Sangmort at 2011-09-21 01:37:31
  • I would take Ninja to vet...could be an insect bite that he scratched excessively or some skin condition...could be a scratch bite from puppy play, but check to make sure it's not mange...I think there are two kinds? one very currable and common in puppies.. and one more serious...
  • yea, we're going on monday so i wanted to be prepared with what to ask the vet. it seems more noticeable in the pic, now i can't tell again in person. i hope it's not mange!
    ninjarf21.tumblr.com
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Inu had something similar on his flank from a nip by another dog while playing. Is he scratching or rubbing the area?
    犬竜
  • well, when i read your comment, i saw ninja scratching and rubbing that area. but i don't think he normally does, i think part of me is imagining stuff coz i'm nervous the spot is something.
    ninjarf21.tumblr.com
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    I am not trying not to get your imagination going even further askew but you might want to look at this website so that you will have an idea when you see your vet.

www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2111&aid=421

Let your vet determine the cause,
    犬竜
  • thank you inu! wish us luck! i dunno if you've seen my other post about our old vet. but my best friend promises that the vet we'll see tomorrow takes the time to talk to her about everything she's worried about.
    ninjarf21.tumblr.com
  • If you want something that might help in the meantime, if it is due to a topical allergen or something, a dab of tea tree oil would help, and if it isn't, it doesn't hurt anything :) Sakura had a bald spot similar to that and it was just dry skin, so a little tea tree oil, a little vitamin e oil a little later and humidifier and her ear is back to normal.Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • the vet said it was demodectic mange :( he said it should go away on its own as his immune system develops but i should monitor it and if it looks infected or he gets more, then i should go back in. i asked if i could put anything on it, but he said no. i'm googling maybe there are natural remedies or something just to make me feel better.
    ninjarf21.tumblr.com
  • a little pure aloe might help if he is itchy and help sothe it a little.Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • thanks. i just hate it coz i think it messes up his cute little face. :P but i think i'm the only one who focuses on the spot, my sister said she can't even see it.
    ninjarf21.tumblr.com
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    If you notice it spreading to other areas, then topicals like Goodwinol or Neem may be suggested, but for now, just keep an eye on it.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • if it spreads - do i need to get that from a vet?
    ninjarf21.tumblr.com
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I got mine from the Vet when my older girl had mange.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • Osaka had a very similar patch on his face a cuple of months ago and like ninja it seemed to appear over night. Turned out to be minor dermatitis which was treated by a high course of anti-biotics. He was on the tablets for 3 weeks as the vet felt if the infection wasn't hit hard it might come back. We think he had a small cut which was enough to let the bugs in. He is all good now. Theres photos on a blog I started about it if you want a look.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Mitaban is a treatment for these mites. Keep monitoring for spread and infection.

http://www.pfizerah.com/product_overview.aspx?drug=MI&country=US&lang=EN&species=cn
    犬竜
  • hm, i think the spot has gotten slightly bigger but no new spots today. is it normal to get bigger? or does that count as spreading?

osaka - where is the blog? :)
    ninjarf21.tumblr.com
  • i think Hiro had something similar but not as visible. i started giving him some omega plus skin and coat supplement and the hair grew back. not sure if it will work for Ninja....

at the time, i did noticed a thinning spot on his head (not bald).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)