For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
how much water should we be feeding?
  • Penny has been getting a lot better at going potty outside, but at night she tends to pee a LOT. We usually take her water away around 7 or 8pm, but even so, she pees in the house at night sometimes up to 4 times way after she has stopped drinking! I'm wondering if it's ok to give her less water than we have been each day so that we can have better control. We haven't been measuring, but her dish is pretty small so at each meal we refill it and she usually finishes it. She is only 5.7 lbs. Any suggestions on how much we should be giving her?
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-21 10:40:44
  • AdamAdam
    I'm not a vet or anything, but it's always been my understanding that dogs should always have water available and should be allowed to drink as much as they want.
  • She might get distracted, puppies I have discovered have alarmingly large weak bladders, and non existant attention spans. When we first got Sakura she had major potty issues, including pottying alot. Unless she is drinking tons of water (more than a gallon) and peeing excessively (so that it is clearish), then it likely isn't a serious issue. Sakura's issue was that she would potty outside, come back in, and then cry to go back out, then come back in after peeing both times and pee on the carpet. Eventually we discovered she was getting distracted outside and only peeing a tiny bit each time. At night Sakura now gets a little walk (5-10 mins) around the apt complex so she can completely empty her bladder (at least until morning). Maybe that will help?

As for ammount of water to be given, Sakura has one of those water cooler looking things I think it holds about a quart or so and she drinks that in 2-3 days depending on the length of her walks.Stefanie & Sakura Twin Cities - MN
  • I've had my puppy for about a week now. He just started drinking a ton of water, any other ideas about this? Is it safe?
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Umm... First off, cutting off water doesn't imply your pup won't need to go potty in the middle of the night. My human son pees so much that I probably go through 8 diapers a day. That doesn't mean there's something wrong with him, he's a baby, just like your dogs are puppies.
    Puppies will need to go several times a day, even at night! You can't expect a human child to not potty or wake up in the middle of the night, same goes for your shiba. I suggest crating your shiba, if he/she gives you any indication that they need to potty, I suggest go and take the shiba out!
    Another guess I have is, you probably stop her from relieving herself midway through her accident? Well she wasn't done lol, so she had to go some more at a later time.
    Remember, any accidents inside the house, while you are present or not, is your fault as an owner, the puppy only can give you cues and signals. It is our job as their parent/owner/caregiver, to not miss these cues.
    If we do, we clean up after them, and hope we don't meds up next time.
  • I always have water available for Fox, through the day and throughout the night. When he was very young, I used to keep him in the kitchen during the night and left a mat down that looked like grass just incase. It's easier to clean up after your pup when it's on a hard surface than on carpet. He did use it a couple of times, but he figured that he didn't want to go to potty in what he calls "his space" so he was very quick in house-breaking.

I think I might have been lucky with him during the night as he used to just sleep all of the way through - there were only a couple of nights in the first few weeks when I got him that he actually had an accident. The other times were right in front of my eyes on the carpet during the day (even after taking him out every hour!). I used to watch him like a hawk, ready to stop him from relieving himself and running him straight outside!

I have taken the mat away now as I didn't want him to confuse him as he was growing up.
    He has the run of the place now and he'll always tell me if he want to go out. Although nowadays it's me trying to drag him out as he'd rather play with his toys, chew on his bones or sleep!
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I have water available 24/7 for my dogs. Keep in mind the rule of thumb is puppies will hold it the number of hours that is about their age in months +/-. If your pup is you (ie 2 or 3 months) I would expect them to need to go every 2-4 hours EVEN AT NIGHT.

Do a search a lot of good threads on potty training and expectations.
  • You can limit water with puppies, and many people do in the earliest days of housetraining. Go check out some of the other housetraining threads we have which will help, and also check out Ian Dunbar's After You Get Your Puppy (which you can download for free--a quick google search will find it for you). He has a house training schedule in there which includes when to give water.

some puppies will drink and drink and drink. I have had two like that. They would simply drink ALL water, ALL the time. One of my vets said some puppies like the feeling of being very full from the water, and are too young yet to regulate themselves, so it is perfectly fine to not let them drink quite that much!

Here's a link to how much water dogs need: http://www.dogster.com/dog-food/how-much-water-should-a-dog-drink

Once my dogs are more reliably housetrained, I leave water out all the time, but with puppies, I always took it up after their dinner, so in our case, around 8 pm (but I stay up quite late, so that meant a last puppy trip outside would be at least at midnight and the pup still usually woke me up at 6 am to go out).
  • KentaKenta
    Adam said:

I'm not a vet or anything, but it's always been my understanding that dogs should always have water available and should be allowed to drink as much as they want.

Same. We always(!) have water for the dogs
  • Taking Hero (my pup) is not the issue. I'm just curious if it was bad for him. He can drink as much water as we put out. Last night we gave him a whole bottle if water and he emptied it within minutes. Needless to say, longest pee I've ever seen haha.
    Thanks for the chart, i will look into that! I appreciate all of the experiences and opinions.
  • I can't do the no water thing. Imagine being thirsty and someone removed all access to water. I know I'm anthropomorphizing, but I can't imagine an animal as smart as a dog not stressing out about being thirsty. It's also a stress on the kidneys.
    I had no trouble housebreaking my guy. I just took him out in the middle of the night for awhile. He was very good about squeaking when he had to go.

ETA: An increase in water intake could be a medical issue - like diabetes. I'd go to the vet.
    Post edited by orangedoggie at 2013-02-25 15:22:52
  • EthosEthos
    Do you crate her at night?
  • dougfoodougfoo
    Old thread -- but i'm debating the same thing.

I have a bottle feeder but I occasionally hold out water before i take her on a trip, go to vet, or before i have visitors, etc.. i wonder if its cruel.. its only like a 2hr max usually. I suppose thats not bad if others are holding water from 8pm to 6am!

But I find it sad (and funny) she reaches for the water... and its not there!

It was definitely easier to potty train when you can control water intake (and thus out-take)...
  • pyleapylea
    I withhold water from 12am-8am. 12am is Pylea's bed time--I would feel way too guilty withholding water from her when she's awake and running around. She has a water bowl in the living room and a stainless steel bowl that clips to her crate (even though she doesn't spend much time in there, ~0-2 hours daily).

@dougfoo: why not potty her immediately before going on a trip, to the vet, before you have visitors, etc.? I personally never withhold water from my pup when she's active.
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    I withheld water at first, but she's almost a year old and hasnt had accidents in several months, so she gets as much as she wants.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I just leave fresh water out in his bowl. Not in the crate or anywhere else. Just in the kitchen. So he doesn't get water when sleeping at night. I always bring a water bottle / bowl when we go out and offer it frequently too ha. Great for dog parks cus he doesn't care for treats there and just spits them out lol. But he's usually eager to drink some water if I call him over.
  • Lrose1990Lrose1990
    Water should always be available. Always. Puppies can't physically hold it as long as older dogs, so they will have to go out more. Increased water intake can indicate a health problem, so it might be worth calling a vet.

Short car rides, etc... That amount of time without water is ok. But if you're home, there should be water available.
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    I used to also have a bottle feeder for Tali in her crate when she was a pup. She loved licking it when she was bored but I've since switched to just a regular clip on water dish since the bottle feeder tends to leak often. She has full access to it even when she's in her crate at night since we take her out first thing in the morning for a potty break.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Lrose1990 said:

Water should always be available. Always.

I disagree with that statement, and I think as you progress through your education and experience, you will eventually disagree as well.

Water should definitely be available during active periods. However, when potty training, it can be helpful to "wind down" and remove access to water a couple of hours before bed. With a healthy puppy or dog, 8 hours without water at night is not going to be a problem.

Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • JuniJuni
    And I agree with @lrose1990. So do the animal protection laws of Sweden.

Juni often goes up to drink at night, she has never had an accident because of it. I think everybody will agree it is pretty awful not being able to drink when you are thirsty.

If it is obvious your dog drinks "just for fun" or to spite (Juni will drink every drop to prevent other dogs to get her water) I would probably remove it temporarily if necessary.
  • niki82niki82
    It has never even crossed my mind to withhold water from my animals not even during toilet training. I actually have fresh water in almost every room of my home. I do live in a very humid area though, even the winters here are never that cold(unfortunately). I would hate it if I didn't have access to fresh drinking water when I wakeup during the night and would think so would my animals.Just my opinion. :)
  • Lrose1990Lrose1990
    Healthy animals won't need to drink every second of every day, and unless there is a problem (psychogenic polydipsia, diabetes, etc) then dogs won't drink more than they need. My older dog doesn't drink much during the night, but she always has access to water. She can drink if she needs to.

Puppies are going to have to go more often, period. They may have to get up at night to go out, or they may need to be kept in a restricted area with pee pads until they're a bit older. Puppies have predictable elimination schedules; they make urine more quickly than adult dogs and will need to go every 1-2 hours, and should be taken out 15-45 mins after eating. As their bladder muscles develop and they get older, they can hold it longer.

I'm not saying dogs should be drinking oodles of water constantly. They should have ACCESS to water at all times, but that doesn't mean they will be drinking it all the time.

Part of potty training and indeed owning a puppy or new dog is going to involve figuring out a bathroom schedule. Accidents might happen. This stuff takes time and patience to get right, and even with a shiba's purported cleanliness, a Shiba pup is still a pup.

If the puppy is playing with the water during the night, that's a different story.
  • hmbackhmback
    In my limited experience - we actually did both with Cliff when he was a puppy. At first it seemed cruel to limit his water after his bed time but he had a lot of accidents - even taking him out every two to three hours in the night. We finally decided to try taking the water away after 10 pm and putting it back out at 5 am when we wake up. Worked like a charm. At about 8 months, we left the water out at night and he regulated himself as to how much he drinks but no more accidents in the house at night. I guess just try and see what works best for you.
  • pyleapylea
    I wanted to update this to reflect how much water I am giving Pylea now. At ~7 months I started leaving water out at night because she proved herself reliable with "holding it" for 8 hours, and because she made it through a brief relapse in potty training caused by the onset of puberty. So now she has free roam and access to water 24/7.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)