For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How to find a good breeder
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Thought I would bump as this is always a good topic and it has a good foundation of how to find a breeder. I have learned the hard way, if any of the thing mentioned are not able to be done and the breeder is giving you some type of excuse walk away ... more than likely they are a good con and are actually a BYB who knows how to try to talk the talk but doesn't walk the walk.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I couldn't get the quote function, but within the thread I came across this comment and in today's world I think it is important. Has to do with trust but verify ....

"I will not comment on specific breeders, but I will say that anyone looking for ANY breed of dog needs to search the following by parents and cert number etc for medical history. If the breeder you select has not tested their animals or does not retest every 4 yrs or so then move on. Do your homework on the medical search. A CHIC designation for a particular dog is a good sign that they have covered more than one area.... Eyes, & hips, etc etc

http://www.offa.org/

If the breeder you are interested in is not able to supply the ids for the parents to allow a search and omits certification copy of the medical for hips or eyes in a take home folder when you decide to purchase including the vet name, think very carefully before putting your money down. Spiffy marketing, big ads and gushy photos mean nothing, its all fair game when you look on the internet or go to a magazine. No dog should be bred before testing and until somewhere around/after 2 yrs of age.

You as the purchaser can put more pressure on the breed club by requesting that it be standard policy for those listed to make the information available. http://www.shibas.org/

I suggest sticking with NSCA breeders although like any of the Japanese breeds you will probably will need to be placed on a waiting list many months in advance. Nothing about health is a 100% guarantee in life, but reducing the odds is at least half the battle.

Snf"
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    An interesting POV for buying from a breeder over adopting from a shelter:

http://www.thedogpress.com/Columns/Shelter-Moral-Superiority-Romeo-134.asp
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • ArcticArctic
    Grsat read, @lindsayt. Thanks for the link. I found it very interesting because that moral grandstanding and stigma about rescue versus breeders is something I see time and again whenever the subject of dogs come up. I've met many a person who equates the word "breeder" with commercial operations and who have NO idea that reputable breeders exist and what it is they do.

The first comment a coworker said to me when I announced my incoming Shiba was "why didn't you rescue?" While rescuing is amazing, I also have never appreciated being judged, subtley or otherwise, for buying a dog.
  • orangedoggieorangedoggie
    I just want to add that some very good breeders are not on the NSCA list. If they aren't on the list and have a slick website that has a BUY NOW button and takes Visa/MasterCard run away!

It's not always easy due to distance, but the best thing to do is to arrange a visit. If they won't let you see their adults that is a huge red flag.
  • orangedoggieorangedoggie
    I'm actually surprised that this was written this year. I've been seeing a return of "reputable breeders = ok" for awhile now except from the most die hard fanatics. The ones who think if you buy a Shiba some other dog died will never change their minds. I have news for them though. Their premiss is wrong. If I couldn't have a Shiba, I just wouldn't have a dog. I'm betting a lot of people are just like me. It's not the reputable breeders putting dogs in shelters.

lindsayt said:

An interesting POV for buying from a breeder over adopting from a shelter:

http://www.thedogpress.com/Columns/Shelter-Moral-Superiority-Romeo-134.asp

• Wasn't sure where to post this, but it is along the lines of the same topic. I wanted to share a conversation I had yesterday with some co-workers.

So my one friend came to me and asked where I got riku, her and her b/f where looking for a smaller sized dog. She took some kind of test and a shiba is a dog that came up for her. So of course this gets me on a rant. " well Megan I didn't exaclty go about buying riku the right way, I found him in Craigslist and I got lucky, you will not see shiba pups on there hardly ever. What you want to do it find a reputable breeder who does health test so you don't get stuck with a dog with numerous health issues, or to support byb or mills. Why not look into rescues, so I pulled one up but she really wanted a pup or younger adult which they did not have. So I looked into some breeders, and told her rescuing always is rewarding but ok I understand you want a baby, but you are going to have to drive 200+ miles and pay 800+" is the jist of what I told her and this other girl cuts In saying "you keep saying reputable breeder, I wouldn't pay 800$ for a dog what even is a reputable breeder? So then I go into what byb are and mills. So another co worker asks what puppy mills are.......!!!! I'm like are you joking me or teasing me u really have no idea what a mill is so then I explain that. And now all my co-workers prob think of neurotic.

So now I'm looking at all the adoptable dogs that fit the description of what my friend is looking for, in hopes that she can atleast save a dog from a shelter. I've sent her a few already. But I did warn her this could happen now that she came to me for advice haha.

Moral of the story there are just so many people uneducated about the right way to buya dog. I bet there. Are a. Few byb that even think they are a good breeder.
  • ArcticArctic
    I hear you on the coworker thing. A new woman here at my office kept saying she wanted a puppy, and I warned her repeatedly to only get a dog from a reputable breeder and offered myself as a resource for questions. What did she do? Promptly bought a dog at a pet store. Oh, but he's AKC registered, she says! I also had to tell her that she should be going home every day during lunch to let the dog out. She was very surprised by this and wondered why couldn't the dog be ok all by himself all day?
  • @artic smh, leaving their new PUPPY home all day with no potty breaks. Some people should not have pets.
  • Most people have no idea how to find a reputable breeder or what that is, and most of them have no idea what puppy mills are. (We can see that on this forum! This is where many of us learn these things). So anytime anyone is looking for a puppy, unless I already know them from the dog world, I notice they usually know nothing about picking out a dog.

My mother wants a GSD. That's an even bigger nightmare than trying to help someone find a well bred Shiba, because there are so FEW healthy GSDs left at all. Finding one is going to be hard to do even with a lot of knowledge. But my mother, who lives in Alaska and does not use the internet, really has almost no chance of getting a good, health GSD given her way of finding a dog is to look at ads in the paper. I'm trying to talk her out of it, but in my prior experience, that doesn't usually work. (her current dog is cute as can be, a husky/collie mix, but she bought him from person who owned his mother, and actually paid for this little guy, who has serious health issues already (he's not yet two) including entropian, a misaligned jaw (he'll have to have teeth pulled), and a rather serious health murmur. And this was after she said "well mixed breeds are healthier." right. I just shudder to think about the GSD she'd end up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)