For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Collars, Harnesses and Martingales
  • Post edited by Calia at 2011-09-21 01:40:39
  • Koni B.Koni B.
    We keep a house collar on Koni all the time, it looks like the one that you linked above. When we are visiting someone with no backyard and have to go to the bathroom on leash, we just clip on to his house collar.
    When we are walking, though, we use a front-clip harness (the leash attaches in front and it is hard for the dog to pull) because Koni is still learning good leash behavior.
    The packaging for our harness said that it was not supposed to be used for jogging because it can chafe, but I that is what I use (we just do very short bursts of jogging while on walks so I'm not worried about chafing). I would look for a jogging-specific harness because jogging with him on collar makes me uncomfortable. He still trips and falls sometimes or tangles in my feet and I would be afraid of hurting him before I could get myself stopped.
  • LosechLosech
    Conker's got four different things.
    One is his tag collar that has his tags on it. He doesn't wear it inside the apartment but he does when we go outside for longer than 10 minutes. The leash is never attached to this collar.
    Second is his step-in harness. We use this one when we know we aren't going to be going out a lot that day. It's easier to take off.
    Third is his regular harness. He'll wear this one on days when he'll be going out a lot and it stays on him all day.
    Fourth is a martingale collar. I only use this when he's really tired, and he's never been able to slip it. It works no matter where it is located if it's adjusted correctly.

I use harnesses because Conker will launch himself at random times, plus it's easier to pick him up when he's wearing one. I don't want him to injure himself so it's a safety thing. I'm working on getting him to stop that but I won't use the martingale all the time until he is consistently better about that.

For jogging, running and hiking I'd probably use a harness until my Shiba doesn't react to things.
    When using the martingale, he has his tag collar on as well. The tag collar is almost always able to slip off so it's loose and doesn't get in the way of the martingale. I plan on getting additional tags for all his accessories since he doesn't always have the tag collar on and reserve that one for his license and rabies.

I'd go with whatever you are comfortable with. If you feel your Shiba won't lunge or get tangled up, use a martingale. If not, use a harness until she is better about reacting to things.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
  • katsukatsu
    Katsu has a house collar, but we have not been using it recently. Once his dog tag comes in, I imagine it'll stay on him most of the time. For walks we use the Easy Walk harness which has helped significantly with his leash pulling. We take it off when he's indoors. We also have a martingale, but we haven't used it yet since the harness has worked to our satisfaction. Some people say they wouldn't leave a martingale on a dog because it presents additional choking hazard. If I do end up using the martingale, I would probably not use it in the house and reserve it for walking outside.
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    I just use a martingale for outside with his boomerang tag on it. the harness (easy walk) I really liked but was really chaffing him. I also have another collar for him with an ID tag plus rabies for when we are at the park. he never wears anything inside because IMO there is no need
    Post edited by lockshi3 at 2011-02-07 15:07:52
  • I wouldnot leave a matringale on indoors, but from what I've heard they're the collar a shiba is least likely to escape from when used correctly.
  • YukikoYukiko
    Sorry to post in an old thread - I'm thinking about getting Yuki a martingale collar and had some questions. I like this site that I found posted in another thread somewhere: http://www.barkandgiggleboutique.com/ I know they're currently closed as they move so size/price information seems to be unavailable.

Are there any comfort/effectiveness differences between the original martingale and the chain one on that site? For those who use one, does it really work at keeping them from slipping out, even if they try to jerk backwards out of it if startled (assuming it's fitted correctly of course)? Is there a site you got yours from that you really liked? What size did you get for your Shiba's?

Thanks!http://queenshiba.tumblr.com
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • MegaenMegaen
    For all of mine they have house collars with there tags they were all the time. When Lena was the only one I had I used a martingale collar but she would constantly choke herself with pulling, so I got her a harness which she still pulls but at least she doesn't get choked anymore. Toshiro uses a harness atm though with recent events I'm going to use a martingale collar for him he's very good at getting out of his harness, and honestly I can't even see how he can do it...... Jackie, my foster, came with a harness and it works pretty good on him so going to keep using that :)
  • InoushiInoushi
    I use a chain Martingale from Foxy and Lola for my boy. He's really good at slipping out of collars, and step in harnesses. I have yet to have that happen with a Martingale. My boy has a large neck due to fluff so I went with the medium since he outgrew the smaller ones. I'm not sure about the difference between cloth and chain, but I figure a chain may tighten quicker, which is a must for my boy since he can buck, and knows the trick about facing you and pulling back with a twist.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • YukikoYukiko
    @ Inoushi: Before when I could fit roughly 4 fingers in her harness, she would do this play-bow position and stretch her front legs out and bring her head down between her front legs and yank back. In this position, her elbows were basically completely parallel with her chest and she slipped out. I just *knew* when we first got the harness she wasn't really being calm and good - she was just busy figuring out how to get out. Now I have the harness pretty tight and that move doesn't seem to work anymore (I hope).

@ Sunyata: Thanks! That does sound really nice. I'll e-mail her as soon as they get settled and re-open their online store.http://queenshiba.tumblr.com
  • BrozeeBrozee
    Right now I am just using a extra small kong collar for my young pup. He will jump and play around on it and what not, but he won't walk on it. He will sit down and pull and shake his head. But I am going to wait a little while until hes a bit bigger so he won't outgrow it so fast.
  • RikaRika
    I'm so sorry to post in SUCH an old thread!
    I'm considering a martingale for Rika. She is fine with her harness, but I feel like spoiling her since she pulls on the harness. I'd love to have a better control of her, but she refuses to use her snap-on house collar and yanks off it. That's why I'm thinking of martingale. Is it a good idea? How many of you are using it? Thankyou!:)
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Rika, if she is pulling and you are not using a front clip harness, that is the better way to go. A martingale is great, but you don't want to use it for pulling issues as it will, like a flat collar, still create pressure on their neck.

I use martingales, I love them, but if pulling is the issue I recommend a front clip harness at least until the pulling is minimal. Also if you are using a retractable leash, I would get rid of that as that too encourages always pulling as the dog is always at the end of the leash. Once the pulling issue is taken care of, yes, a martingale is a good collar IMO for walking in normal conditions.
  • RikaRika
    @redcattoo, thanks for your opinion! So the front clip harnesses work well? I'm just worried that Rika will actually TURN AROUND, yank at it and refuse to walk, *turn around in front, shake shake shake, yank!!!* Or will front clip fix that problem as well?
    Post edited by Rika at 2013-07-14 09:00:12
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I use the front clip harness for my young mixed boy who is up to 52 lbs now. It works very well as the one we have clips on easy with two buckle clips, one for the strap over the back and one for the strap under the chest. What happens is if they pull too hard or lunge they will get turned towards you which relieves the pulling pressure and gives you opportunity to refocus them.

With my first boy who can very easily slip out of collars, the martingale worked well when sized correctly to reduce his ability to pull out of his collar, but it does put pressure on his neck if he pulls or lunges. Actually, last night in the rain when I tool the boys out they got rambunctious on their leashes and before I could get them both calm and refocused Bear slipped his collar and martingale ending up off leash with no id's (other than he is chipped) ... we did end up getting him back safely, but it does make my heart stop. Now this particular martingale isn't perfectly sized in that it doesn't close down as tight as possible as it is a little big for him, plus add the rain, thin coat in summer, and two hyper wrestling dogs I had a lot going against me.

Today actually, for the first time we put a harness on Bear instead of the martingale and he walked just fine with the front clip. Then again he usually walks okay with the martingale even though he still likes to walk at the end of leash with a gentle pull type pressure. I only have issues when his prey or play drive kicks in and then the martingale isn't ideal as not only does it mean he pulls with pressure on his neck, but he has managed to slip martingales as no matter what his neck is just bigger than his head and I don't want to over tighten the martingale either (hence why I don't use a choke collar of any kind).

The other thing you can do is be very diligent about teaching loose leash walking. Anytime they are about to get to end of leash give them a "oh oh" stop and until they return to your side and release the pulling pressure you just stand in place. This has to be done each and every time you walk the dog to assure consistency and understanding. This means if you are in a hurry to go somewhere, pick them up, don't let them walk on leash until they have master the loose leash walking art.

I would go to Petsmart (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751027&lmdn=Brand&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No) and buy the front clip harness (it is by Premire -- called the easy walk harness) to find out how it fits, how your pup takes to it, and see how it works. If you like it, get on Amazon and order one (they are much cheaper) then when you get it return your other one to Petsmart.
  • LosechLosech
    If you are using a regular harness with a ring on the front, it will work the same way as a front-clip no-pull harness and not alter the dog's gait in a negative way.
  • RikaRika
    Thanks all! I'm going to try clipping her leash to the front of the harness and see how it works. I might also try to spend more time doing some training to solve the problem thoroughly. Thanks a lot!! :D
  • RikaRika
    I tried clipping the leash in front of Rika's harness. She does pull less, but she occasionally chews on the leash and tries to yank the whole thing off. I tried training as well. She does wonderful at home, but once she gets excited eg heading to the door, she tries yanking the collar off/ not caring about food anymore......
  • MingFumiMingFumi
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    It probably is a good idea to practice loose leash training along with the correct equipment for the dog at hand. I have had good luck with http://www.freedomnopullharness.com/ I like this product since it allows for multiple options and switching around as the dog progresses in its training. No need to purchase multiple harnesses.

I use a regular martinagale collar with FNPH and clip the harness on the back, distributing the pull tension between that and the collar with two leashes. If the dog is very strong puller then you have the option to switch one to the front as situation dictates.

I also like the fact that the harness unclips on the sides to be stepped into and one can order a smaller width for a smaller bodied dog.

Good luck and use a combo of training along with equipment. Equipment alone usually does not solve all loose leash walking issues.

Snf

Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2013-07-16 16:33:42
  • redcattooredcattoo
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2013-07-17 00:20:31
  • RikaRika
    Thanks all.

Btw, I already tried a martingale on Rika, but it has a chain. She is quite good on it, with some occasional pulling. I'm trying to stop her from pulling, and she also seems to realize that pulling is NOT SO comfortable on a martingale compared to a harness. I hope I'm careful enough not to hurt her trachea.

I've been leaving the chain martingale on Rika since I put it on, because she is mainly supervised, or sleeping. The chain hasn't been damaging her fur yet. But I think I will take it off when I leave the house for a long time, and will probably also invest in an all fabric one at the same time.

Again thanks a lot!
    P. S. I've also been training her to stop pulling.
  • KentaKenta
  • sunyatasunyata
  • KentaKenta
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • Post edited by shibamistress at 2014-02-21 22:28:55
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2014-02-21 22:41:16
  • sunyatasunyata
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • sunyatasunyata
  • sandrat888sandrat888
  • MoshMosh
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    @Mosh - the Julius k9 IDC is one of my favorite harnesses, and I have like 15+ harnesses lolol. The Velcro has held up just fine despite even being in the water and snow. Ozzy isn't really an escape artist though, so if you're worried about her spazzing and backing out of the harness, there are definitely harnesses that are more escape proof, like the ruffwear webmaster. But as far as easy to put on harnesses with plenty of functionality and utility, I looove the Julius k9. It's held up perfectly for me, in rain, snow, swimming in some streams even.
  • @Mosh One of my favs, too, for Laika. So long as you have it fitted well she shouldn't escape unless she's super slippery.
  • ZenkiZenki
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Size mini is what I have, and it's about at its smallest setting. Ozzy is 20 lbs and about 19 inches around his girth.

I also have 2 of the Julius k9 belt harnesses, and the size mini is too big for him. I occasionally use the size mini-mini of that style, but it has like no room to grow and the velcro strap in front of the shoulders is loose on both of the belt style. I definitely prefer the IDC power harness to the belt harness style. They might be more intended for dogs with a wider stance or something though. Ozzy's shoulders seem pretty narrow and angular ha.
  • MoshMosh
    @zenki the one on Asuka in the picture is a size mini. Shes currently 14lbs (7 months old) if that helps.
  • So the verdict for adult male shiba is a mini on the IDC powerharness? I don't have tape measure...
  • MoshMosh
    @nickdressen I measured Asuka last night and her chest is 18in and her neck is 12in. At the smallest the straps go its not loose.

This is their chart I went off of
    Mini 49 - 67 cm
    19.5 - 26.5 in
    7 - 15 kg
    15.5 - 33 lbs

I would assume this mini would fit an adult male shiba...thoughts?
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Do you know his weight? Maybe you could use something like yarn to measure the width of his girth and then measure the yarn with a ruler (or phone app equivalent) lol. I think the mini would likely fit, depending on how close to standard size he is. :) Ozzy weighs about 20 lbs (9kg) and the mini fits him great, and has lots of room to expand if ever needed.
  • MoshMosh
    If I get a martingale collar...does it need to have a buckle? I was looking to get one from Knine couture.
  • zandramezandrame
  • MoshMosh
    @zandrame She currently has a buckle collar that is 3/4in and it cuts her hair in 2 and drives me nuts. It looks terrible and she itches like crazy. I was looking to get a 1in collar. If a buckle doesn't matter I'd rather not get one cause it's bulky, but I wasn't sure. The collars are expensive enough lol.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)