For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
LP surgery and recovery and reinjury
  • Post edited by shibamistress at 2014-03-08 16:37:07
  • LosechLosech
    Poor girl, all that happening to one Shiba is tough. I hope she has a speedy recovery!
  • bobc33bobc33
    Hope it is a full recovery and Bel is feeling good as soon as possible! She is lucky to have you shibamistress.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • Well wishes and hopes for an uneventful recovery from Bear and Foxy!
  • Thinking good thoughts about Bel. Sukoshi sends doggie wishes-- and tell Bel to follow the vet's instructions. (She knows something about surgeries.)
  • the poor thing :( I hope she recovers quickly!
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • sunyatasunyata
  • JessJess
    Get better soon Bel :)

Such a trooper for going through all that :(
  • lockshi3lockshi3
    Glad the surgery went ok. wishes for a speedy recovery to Bel!
  • Post edited by shibamistress at 2011-02-06 03:29:05
  • Don't know how Bel likes to sleep, but maybe if you put a rolled towel or something under her leg, it would help elevate the leg.
  • IchigoIchigo
    Poor Bel. :( I hope she recovers soon! She's so lucky to have such a wonderful owner/Mom.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • I hope she recovers soon. It sucks when you can't explain to them why they have to go through this.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • bobc33bobc33
    Good news Shibamistress, we're rooting for you!
  • SayaSaya
    I'm glad she is doing better can't wait to hear more on her.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • ladyritaladyrita
    Oh dear shiba mistress! Please don't blame yourself as your vet really should have gone through the drug interactions with you (especially since she is taking so many different kinds of medications) part of their job is to treat their patient's parents as laypeople and it was a careless mistake on the vet's part - another story related to this I will post shortly in my "Going under the knife thread". LUCKILY, you caught the signs as early as you did and it was very fortunate for you (not Toby) that you had experienced something like this before. Thoughts and prayers for Bel's safe recovery :)
  • Thinking positive thoughts. Do what you need to do.
  • jujeejujee
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • CaliaCalia
  • Post edited by shibamistress at 2011-02-28 05:00:13
  • ladyritaladyrita
    Fantastic news! Sounds like she is on the mend :) It must be encouraging to see that your hard work with the hourly feedings seems to be paying off. When will your vet be in town again? Hopefully soon but it sounds to me as though you're doing an excellent DYI vet job yourself :D
  • SayaSaya
    Poor Bel glad she is doing better now.
  • AraksAraks
    That's great to hear :) The hair on Sevuk's chest finally grew back since he had that lump removed in february.
  • shibamistressshibamistress
  • Shibamistress-

I'm so sorry for you (and Ms. Bel). That sounds very difficult.

Hopefully Crash won't have the same issues. I'll definitely learn from your experience. I think, though, I may have an easier time, as we can't ever let him run free... we live in the city with a poorly fenced-in backyard, so by default he'll never be off leash.

I'll keep you and Bel in my prayers.
  • Shibamistress- I read your blog from start to finish... No, I'm not Shiba-obsessed... *rolls eyes*

Anyway, from what I gather, under all of her Princess-y exterior, Bel's not going to let anything stop her. I know she was a puppy mill dog, so I'm sure that has something to do with her health. On the other hand, she's very lucky to be with you. Many others would've put her down.

- Jacqui

PS Toby, by far, makes me laugh the most.
  • jujeejujee
  • YukikoYukiko
    You might have already mentioned this somewhere, but have you heard of a dog knee brace or given any thought to one?

We have a client who is a physical therapist and has a 12-year-old Wheaten Terrier Mix. He has a heart murmur, renal disease, maybe some other things?, and given his age and condition, surgery was not really an option for his CCL tear. He was holding up one of his rear legs constantly and of course having trouble getting around. The owner chose to try a knee brace. It looks like this stifle brace: http://www.handicappedpets.com/www/help-pets-walk/dog-braces.html#orthotics

The "procedure" was not too complicated either. Luckily her dog was extremely sweet and extremely still so he didn't have to be sedated. She brought him in one morning, we shaved his entire leg naked, made a cast of his leg, and she sent that cast to some lab up north (maybe NY?). The lab provided the kit for making the cast. Within a week she had a custom brace and when we saw him several weeks later, he was doing great! He was bearing weight on his leg, walking around, and was even doing stairs.

She mentioned that the cost of the brace was way cheaper than surgery (which is around 3-4k here) and it was very time consuming. She said he had to stay still while she strapped on and off his brace several times a day, she had to check for raw spots on the skin frequently (she said it was really well made so there weren't any issues with raw spots), and she did physical therapy exercises on the leg every day.

My experience with the knee brace is completely based off this one client and there were a lot of circumstances that contributed to the brace helping. If it sounds like something you'd be interested in, I'd be more than happy ask the owner about the lab and any other information.

*edited to say: It sounds like you already spend so much time on your babies, I know the time consuming part isn't really an issue for you. =Phttp://queenshiba.tumblr.com
    Post edited by Yukiko at 2011-06-17 15:29:32
  • LosechLosech
  • euphaireeuphaire
    That really sucks!! I hope Bel recovers ASAP. Is it possible to reach your vet by email and get her to refer you to another vet temporarily? I can't offer any advice but I really hope things will work out nicely in the end. Love your blog.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    I just read this full thread. I'm so sorry to hear all that you've gone through with Bel and that she's still having these problems. It's comforting knowing that she's being taking care of so well by a very loving owner.

I'll keep you all in my thoughts/prayers as I'm sure that it can't be easy worrying about her and all the what ifs that keep coming your way.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)