For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shibas in OH?
  • sailfloesailfloe
    Was just wondering if anyone on the forum was local to northeast OH. I just moved out to Cleveland (with Bear) a few months ago for work, and was wondering if anyone happened to be in the area.
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-21 16:52:14
  • Not sure about in Ohio, but we got our Daisuke from an amazing breeder in White Lake, Michigan. She is very nice and treats her dogs great, they all have the best temperaments. Daisuke was housebroken when we picked him up at 8 weeks old. Let me know if you'd like her info, it would be about a 3 and 1/2 hour drive from Cleveland.
  • I am between youngstown and cleveland. Not a whole lot of Shibas around here. Their is a breeder in the Akron area, when I looked up some of the meet up sites I found 3 people in Akron and one guy in youngstown, not alot up here in northeast ohio that I know of. Toby was rescued from the pound in Akron. We are having issues with Toby being agressive toward dogs the same size or bigger than him. He is great and plays with smaller dogs. If a bigger dog or one the same size is around his ears go back and he starts growling. It is hard to tell by his tail since the base of it is still healing from the mange scabs, he holds it up more than he did but only if he is playing or chasing the kids. My husband works in Cleveland so if you wanted to do a meet up let me know. Hope Bear is not minding the frigid cold and ice we have.
  • Im in Knox County Ohio. About 2 hrs away from ya. In my little town (Mt. Vernon) there are at least two other shibas that I have seen out and about when I walk our Honey.
    Post edited by Honey's mom at 2011-02-07 18:49:36
  • I have two shibas and live in Columbus. I have arranged small shiba meet ups by advertising on craigslist pet section. I got more of a response then i thought i would!
  • I'm in the Cleveland Suburbs myself, on the eastside with Uzume. Are you in Cleveland proper or in the suburbs as well (aka Cleveland +)? I only know of one breeder in Cuyahoga County and I would not recommend them (they have a history of mistreatment and lawsuits). We drove to the Dayton area (Vandalia actually) to get our Shiba.
  • sailfloesailfloe
    I'm in Cleveland proper (Tremont). I was just curious to see who else from the forum was in the area. (Between Bear, and Violet when she visits, I already have all the shibas I can handle) :)
  • Hi all. I'm pretty sure Brian is just checking out other owners in the area, not looking for a breeder. We already have two pups (one in Cleveland and one in Princeton) and unless I have an unpleasant surprise in store, we aren't looking to add any more. Brian and Bear are in Cleveland proper, on the West side in Tremont.
  • Whoops, sorry about that (now that I've re-read your Original Post), misunderstood what you were looking for. We're in Mayfield, about 5 minutes from the Costco that's out here. There are plenty of dog owners out here but I haven't encountered any other Shiba owners in my neighborhood and I do walk Zume pretty regularly.
  • Oh sorry thought you were looking for meet ups or recommendations of dog parks. glad to see their are more people up in this area than I thought.
  • sailfloesailfloe
    Meetups and parks would be good to know too. (Thankfully there's a park near me that allows un-neutered boys, so Bear's been a few times). Are there meetups? I haven't heard of any.
  • jimjim
    Check out the Alum Creek State Park area dog park. They have seperated big dog/ little dog fenced areas; they also have areas fenced partway into the lake, if your pet likes to swim. I'm in Marengo, and I've seen two other Shibas at the Alum Creek park.
  • GatsuGatsu
    I'm not in Ohio. But guts and gidget are from an Ohio breeder!
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    Reviving this thread to see how many Shiba owners are still out here in Ohio. We just moved to the Cleveland area for my job (living in Elyria). Any recommendations you might have on Vets, Meetups, Dog Parks, etc. are more than welcome. We are still in the midst of unpacking and so Ryu is a little freaked out. I'm sure a play date would help him out, so feel free to message me if you are interested.
  • We're in Cleveland on the west side. We go to West Park animal hospital in Rocky River. Don't do dog parks much anymore but when we have we just drop by the one in the Tremont section of Cleveland proper. The hiking in the state park system around here is pretty nice though.
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    Thanks for the info @violet_in_seville. Things have been pretty crazy lately with all the moving along with a bunch of family events. I have been to a dog park in grafton and avon lake so far (neither was very big or well kept). I have heard about the park in Tremont and I have also heard about one in Lakewood. I'll be traveling this weekend, but I plan on checking out both of those parks soon. If you would like to meet up sometime on a weekend at either park let me know.
  • BearsDadBearsDad
    I live just south of Youngstown, and I have a " Bear " as well!
  • @ryudragon - my girl is temperamental now that she's older, and my boy has never liked parks. The park would have to be during off hours probably. Would you be interested in doing a hike on a weekend that the weather is nice as an alternative? The park system in NE OH is pretty nice.
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    That sounds good to me. However my weekends are pretty booked up for June with a combination of birthdays, family reunions, etc. I have seen a little bit of the local park system and it looks nice, so a hike would be fine by me as well. I will talk to my social coordinator (aka my fiancee) and figure out when we are free.
  • Popcorn523Popcorn523
    Bumping this to see if we can get anything going. I'm in Little Italy, Cleveland, but Luna won't be home until later in July. My boyfriend's family and his sister's labradoodle puppy are in Columbus, and we visit somewhat regularly. Anyone else nearby?
  • millerb7millerb7
    I'm in West Chester (30 miles north of downtown Cincinnati). I'm 90 miles from Columbus and have family there so we occasionally visit.
  • @millerb7 I am in Fairfield, about 10 minutes from West Chester. I have a 7 month old female shiba! Would love to schedule a play date sometime (in a few weeks, as she just got spayed 2 days ago)! let me know! :)
  • schaefzschaefz
    millerb7 said:

I'm in West Chester (30 miles north of downtown Cincinnati). I'm 90 miles from Columbus and have family there so we occasionally visit.

@millerb7 I am in Fairfield, about 10 minutes from West Chester. I have a 7 month old female shiba! Would love to schedule a play date sometime (in a few weeks, as she just got spayed 2 days ago)! let me know! :)

I'm reviving an old thread, my wife and I are new shiba parents located in West Chester, if you two are still in the area I'd love to set up a play date!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)