For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Walmart Kongs
  • Walmart makes a "kong" type toy that is shaped like a little red fire hydrant. This would be a great cheaper alternative bc they are only a buck or two a piece. The problem I have found however is that the hole in hte bottom is very small and the rubber is too thick to be very pliable. So my solution? This monring I sawed off the bottom piece of one of these "kongs" which left a much larger hole. Stuffed with peanut butter, tested on shiba, success! Shiba tested shiba approved. Anyway thought i would share. I can post pics id requested but its a pretty easy thing
  • katsukatsu
    Awesome! I'm always up for a good deal. I find that the Kong treats are the perfect shape for Kongs though, anything else Katsu tends to get out really fast. I'll have to find some other odd-shaped treats for this fire hydrant (or stop being lazy and start freezing things together with peanut butter).
  • I actually have one of those toys for Kiyomi too. I use her small kong that I got at Petsmart for $4 (ON SALE YAY) for peanut butter, and I put training treats or broken up soft treats in the fire hydrant. It's funny to watch her roll it all over the kitchen trying to get the treats to drop out. And she hasn't destroyed it so I think that is a plus too. :)
  • Yo6shiYo6shi
    What size Kong toy would you recommend for a Shiba?
  • SayaSaya
    Saya has a medium or maybe large? I forgot the sizing of it.. I got her one as a puppy so she wouldn't outgrow the tiny small one.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    Here is another idea for stuffing Kongs: Take dry dog food and make it into a mash with some water and stuff the Kong and then freeze it.
  • BootzBootz
    I use the medium size kong for Bootz. Gives her more of a challenge than the large.
  • SakuSaku
    Thanks for sharing! I will definitely check it out. My shiba girl has insanely sharp teeth. She chewed through the last Kong...which I thought is indestructible!
    Saku & Mina's mom

Saku & Mina

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)