For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Height for exercise pens
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    I am in the process of getting an indoor exercise pens for times when I need to sneak out for a couple hrs. Can anyone suggest a height? I am looking at either the 30" or 36". I would like to use it when Hiro gets older when he needs to be home alone during the day. Should I go for the taller one?
  • i was looking for something over 40 inches! since i've searched this forum for answers, and the general consensus is shiba can escape, lol
    ninjarf21.tumblr.com
  • CaliaCalia
    Height isn't going to help much with keeping shibas from escaping, putting a "roof" on it should.
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    hmm...I don't think Hiro's the type to "climb"
  • katsukatsu
    I would go for the taller one, but that's just my personal preference. The only annoying thing is for lazy people :cough:me:cough: who don't want to unlock the pen everytime I am trying to retrieve a toy - if it's too tall that can be near impossible to do, to try to reach over the pen and down to grab something - but I'd rather have a higher 'deterrent' (short of a "roof," which I don't have) than one that a shiba can easily get over with little effort.
  • shibaserfshibaserf
    Taller and definitely with a roof! Also, pay attention to the thickness of the wire. You'd be very surprised how easily a little Shiba can bend the pen by jumping and pawing at it!
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    I was told a 42" should be good, but one with a roof would definitely be better.
  • eh, hiro is young... he may learn to climb!
    ninjarf21.tumblr.com
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    I just saw that they sell tops for exercise pens. Got good reviews. I will look into this!
  • They don't even need to climb. We got a 36 inch one hoping it would do for a month. On day 5 of being in the house (at ten weeks old) we discovered that Violet could jump the pen and clear it (even if she wasn't graceful, we were in the room when it happened). If you really want to do it, go taller and think about a top. Alternately, train to make sure your pup understands boundaries. Violet could jump it but after that first week never did do unless she was sick.
  • jujeejujee
    I have a 42 inch, cuz I was afraid of Mika climbing, but she doesn't even open her crate when it's unlocked... same with doors, if its 80% closed, she thinks she can't get in and won't try to push through with her head lol.
  • KBBD83KBBD83
    Gotta revisit this video!

Post edited by notoriousscrat at 2012-11-03 02:13:25
  • KBBD83KBBD83
    Well that didn't work. FML. I give up.
  • meggersmeggers
    My ex-pen is 24 x 36 and my shiba has never once escaped. He is 7 months old, and taller than your avg shiba. The only way he has ever come close to escaping, is when I have only lazily latched one or two latches, and he's pushed his head through an opening he's created. :-P But definitely opt for the taller one. I don't think we'd be as successful if we went shorter.
  • KaylaKayla
    ooo...this post is helping me too as Kayla is growing fast and her crate/being in there all work day is beginning to sadden me

are there any opinions on fabric vs metal?

@shibahiro, which ones are you looking at?
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    Kayla: i play on getting the ex-pen from Midwest. I am currently using their crate and I think their product is made pretty well.
  • IchigoIchigo
    I have a 36 and Ichigo hasn't escaped yet... But if he does ever learn to climb, we can always get a cover.
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    For those worried about climbing, there is a style ex-pen out there that is all verticle bars, like the gates. Strangely enough, she will only stand at the gate on her 2 legs, but if the door is closed, she will try to jump. She's never tryed to jump the gate, I have yet to try an ex-pen though.
  • I have a 36' xpen and Mochi just climbs right out. Have to pick up a 42' one now since he's growing so fast. Scary because one time I came home he was waiting for me at the front door. O_O
  • BootzBootz
    @miiikeenav, might want to try a cover as well to discourage/prevent Mochi from climbing out
  • @bootz thanks but I think a cover is a little harsh? I'm on my way to pick up a much taller xpen that way it's still useable when he's fully grown and he's growing fast.
  • BootzBootz
    I personally don't use a cover cause my xpen is 60" and they don't try to climb it. BUT there are some members that use the cover and it helps calm them down.

• @bootz I see. Well we just got him the 48' one. I doubt he'll climb it at all now. It's so tall. haha
  • BootzBootz
    Make sure he doesn't! I think somebody's shiba tried to climb and the foot got stuck
  • RyanRyan
    Ours is 46"+, they can jump easily higher. We just use it around the front door.
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • BiohazardiaBiohazardia
    What is everyone's opinion on an X-pen similar to this one? It seems somewhat cheaper, has good reviews and appears to be relatively well fenced in.

Edit: Sorry for stretching the board....

Post edited by Biohazardia at 2017-03-09 20:22:46
  • RaijinRaijin
    My concern with that pen would be the Shiba gnawing at the fabric and tearing a hole in it. Too much exposed fabric with sharp teeth won't last long.
    Raijin Shiba
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    Ditto Raijin's comment. We have the wire Midwest ex-pen that attaches to her crate. She's never tried to jump or climb out of it, but probably could.

She's now starting the free-roam transittion, so she's no longer in the expen though
  • BiohazardiaBiohazardia
    Hmmm. Good point. I guess I'll have to check the inside of this one. I'm worried about my pup bring able to jump the other ex pens, or scratching the floor by ramming his body against it. Also they seem pretty expensive by the time they get to over 36" high and with a top.
    Post edited by Biohazardia at 2017-03-09 21:25:34
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    @Biohazardia - A friend of mine just uses baby gates and Ponyo would ram those to get out, but for the ex-pen we have, it comes with little black bumper kind of things that you can put on so they don't scratch the floor. Other people have gotten linoleum tiles, set them in a square, and secured the gate to the linoleum.

We also told Ponyo her word for no whenever she would stand on her hind legs on the expen, so she knew not to do it. Luckily, she's too lazy to try to escape.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    @Biohazardia - I also have the midwest ex-pen that attaches to Ozzy's crate hehe. I bought a cheap like $10 Walmart rug to put under the ex-pen, since I live in an apartment I didn't want the carpet to be destroyed by a puppy. :P It worked great! But Ozzy did learn to jump / climb out by the time he was like 4 months old. Luckily, I use a surveillance camera on my iPad so I knew he had escaped while I was out haha, and we rushed home before he could get in too much trouble. I also have a baby gate that separates the kitchen and the living room, so he often stays in there when I have long school days twice a week. He doesn't try to ram down the baby gate and can't climb it.

They make ex-pen covers with like fabric that covers the top so hey can't jump / climb out. Of course there is always the possibility that they could be quite determined and climb / chew their way through a cover lol.
  • ZenkiZenki
    I used the 30" midwest ex-pen... used it for about a month. Hahaha! I am still using a 24" baby gate to control his access to the bedroom. Zenki never escaped/climbed over the expen or the baby gate. His chewing was limited to my rug but not the bedroom carpet. No idea what is the difference. So I set him loose early in my apartment. The expen is now ziptied to the balcony railing because i am not confident that he can't squeeze thru between the bars.
    Zenki
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• Mochi920Mochi920
    I wouldn't spend too much on an ex-pen and would stay away from ones made out of fabric. I have the Midwest ex-pen (the wire kind) and literally only used it for a month or two as mochi's sleeping area when she was younger. It's now collecting dust lol
    An ex pen is nice and useful but imho becomes kind of useless as they get older. A gated off area or room is a lot better :)
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    xpen came in super handy during spay/neuter times, and has also been a godsend during Rhyz's LP surgery recoveries. We have the 36" height metal one and have used it exclusively during Rhyzik's recoveries because the crate doesn't offer enough room for him to turn and move with a cone on his head, he kept getting stuck every time he tried to turn or look up lol. Otherwise, no, it's not super useful to us and will go back in to storage in a few more weeks, but man am I ever glad we picked one up.

Also yeah, I'd never buy a fabric one for my dogs, they would just eat their way out of it, covertly and quietly while I wasn't looking of course.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)