For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shampoo + Bathing tips?
  • Hiya

I've had a search on the forum for some tips and thoughts on giving your shibas a bath.

Some seem to bath their shibas regularly and often, and some not so often (few times a year).

Mitsu is terrified of the bath and clams up, panics and tries to jump out (but ends up slipping everywhere - making the whole experience even worse).

I wondered if anyone could recommend any tips - and also advice on what type of shampoo I should go for?

Thanks
    Post edited by sunyata at 2011-09-21 10:43:10
  • I do my bathing at work where we are set up for dog baths. We can leash the dogs to a tub and blow dry them fairly fast, we also have no slip pads in the tubs at my work. Despite this nice set up, I only bath the girls when they start to smell or feel greasy. I do the same with my cats, though I do those baths at home.

I strongly suggest going to a do it yourself doggy wash. I think that these places are set up similar to my work, and even supply the towels (and shampoo if you need it) so you don't have to do the clean up yourself. I think the one around here it costs about ten dollars to do it yourself, which is a significant cost savings if you have someone bath them for you (shibas can cost anywhere from 30-45 dollars per bath at my work, which isn't a dog bathing place, but a boarding facility). This also will save time which is good for shibas who might not enjoy the bath! I can get my girls washed and dried (not perfectly dry, but not dripping either) in less than seven minutes.

I use a shampoo called Metaclean on my dogs. We offer this to clients at work, and while it isn't the most pleasant smelling shampoo, it keeps them clean longer and seems to help with itching. It is by the Keys Soap Company and used to be called Muttinear, but they switched formulas a little bit so now people can use it also. I don't use it on myself, but I do use their product Redicare which is a natural bug repellent, also safe to use on dogs.
  • mattzmattz
    Luckily, my Etsuko is fairly calm when it comes to bath time. Yes, she still cries a little and sometimes attempts to make a jump for it, but the process usually goes by quickly and painless. Helpful to me, my girlfriend usually holds her steady while I do all the washing... After a nice bath, I dry her with a towel and then she's free!

TIPS: Have a second set of hands to help with holding your pup in place... I'm not sure what brand soap I use, all I know is that the soap does NOT soften her coat. Just be patient with your pup!!
  • SayaSaya
    I use earthbath mango tango shampoo smells nice.. lol

Bella my parent's boxer gets more baths she gets dirty a lot.

Saya she has only gotten two baths manly due to blowing her coat, but she stays pretty clean.

I don't plan to bath her anymore due to her cleanliness usually just a water bath to get the lake water out of her etc..

Saya screams like she is being killed during baths outside, but inside she is a little better..
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • IchigoIchigo
    @Saya We use that shampoo too! I was joking with my bf how we should get a strawberry smelling shampoo next time because Ichigo means strawberry hehehe

Luckily Ichigo is pretty good with baths. The worse thing he's done is a half-hearted attempt at escape. Yay no shiba scream! Anyways, we only bathe him when he starts to smell. I think we've given him 3 or 4 baths so far and he's 6 months old. Some people only bath their shiba a couple times a year. Since shibas are pretty clean themselves, they don't need to be bathed often. It's actually not good for their coat if you do it a lot. It takes away their natural oils in their skin.

Having a second person helps a lot if you have one person hold her and give her treats, while the other person washes. Since Ichigo is relatively calm I can wash him by myself. But if you can, I think going to the self-wash places is a good idea since you can leash them up to the wash area.
  • emmyemmy
    My shiba is horrible with baths. I think that a lot of the people on here who have less negative experiences got their dogs as puppies and got to shape the whole bath experience from the beginning. I got an adult rescue, like you. I found a groomer who will bathe him and clip his nails for 20 bucks and he's so clean and completely dry when I get him back. And no dog hair in the tub!! I know this isn't helping you give your dog a bath on your own, but he gets about 3-4 baths a year and I gave him the first one and swore I'd never do it again. :)
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Here's a vid of Jazz from 2009 - she gets bathed (at most) 4 times a year - but right now we are averaging at 3. I use Johnson's baby shampoo, but Jazz does get fish oil and seameal, so I'm not overly concerned with the stripping of oil.

LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    I feel like I need to give Hiro more baths. He's a puppy and he starts smelling after a couple weeks after bathing him. O_o Thoughts?

ljowen123: wow!! i wish all shibas are like that when taking a bath!
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    What are you feeding Hiro - that does make a difference...
    CSC_0144
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    I give him Natural Balance. grain free - duck & potatos. was recommended by my cousin who feeds Natural Balance to his Shiba.
  • IchigoIchigo
    Awww Jazz is such a good girl :)
  • Oh dear. Baths. Toby is going to have one today.

I'm afraid it is not easy to bathe a Shiba in my house. Bel gets scared and shuts down, which she does when she is so fearful she can't function anymore. she stands in the bathtub and shakes. Obviously, I don't like doing this to her, but once or twice a year, she does need a bath, and I've tried all sorts of things to make it more pleasant for her, but nothing works.

Same with Toby, except....he fights. He howls. He screams. He hates getting wet. When he was seriously injured and near death and at the vet for 6 weeks, he had to have all sorts of awful things done to him. He only tried to bite once: when he was getting a bath. It is the worst thing ever in his world.

So, I know it just sounds like I'm a bad owner for this, but I give Toby a xanax or valium before I give him a bath. It calms him down enough that I can bathe him successfully. Obviously, I do this maybe once a year. I've tried to do his nails at the same time, but he usually won't stay still for that even drugged, so I usually get his nails done at the vet instead.

Toby is usually a very clean dog with almost no odor, so I don't need to bathe him more often. I noticed last night, though, that he's got an odd odor on his neck and he's scratched away the hair near his collar, so something is bothering him, so it's bath time (in an oatmeal collodial shampoo for dogs with skin problems) and then I'll look at the itchy places and probably put some calendula cream on them. It kind of looks like something got on his collar that is irritating his skin.

Anyway, the thing is, some Shibas are just really, really bad at baths, and since they are clean dogs anyway, I suggest minimizing the bathing for your own sanity!
  • sunyatasunyata
    Generally I bath my girls once or twice a year, but at our new house lately they have been getting a bath every month, as we have a ridiculously muddy back yard. (snow, thaw, snow, thaw, ice, thaw, rain, snow, thaw... you get the idea)

Neither of my girls like to be bathed. However, they both tolerate it fairly well, even though they are shaking and REALLY want to get out. I, like LJ, use Johnson's baby shampoo. It does a great job of cleaning the dirt away, smells great, and is easy on their skin and eyes.

To keep the calm, I usually just get it done as quickly as possibly and talk very soothingly to them and tell them what good girls they are. They deal, we finish, dry off, and go on with our lives. :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Thanks for the tips and useful info.

Jazz looks so calm in the bath :)

I like the idea of Johnsons, and may give that a try. To be honest, Mitsu doesnt smell much - in fact, I smell more like a dog than her. I think its all the Orijen I always keep in my pockets.
  • RorsRors
    If you dont want to bath your dog but it is getting greasy - A tip from The Breeders of my Japanese spitz: Dust your dog in flour. The flour will soak up any oilyness then brush out - youll know you can stop when you see your dog again -
    this is not a troll.
    Akira and Kiyo havent had a Bath for at least 10 years. They only get their butt hosed off if they get really bad Diarrhea, most of the time we use flour in an old talc container.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    LJ, that is definitely the most well-behaved bathing Shiba I've ever seen!

Bowdu tends to be really good with baths too, though there's some resistance before getting in the tub. Gosh, he HAS to be good with baths -- I was soaking his feet and giving him medicated baths 2-3x a week during the roughest parts of his summer allergies (just washing his undersides and feet, which were really bad).

He's got some skin/immune system problems, so we now use a variety of medicated shampoos, including Selsun Blue for humans.

Blue with a hole in the neck

I usually climb in the tub with him, which I think helps ease him a bit. I can at least pretend we're having fun. But not TOO much fun. No need to overstimulate him when the rushing water and strange sensations are already plenty to deal with. Climbing in the tub may not be advised if you have a Shiba that struggles, or else you'll get very wet or very scratched up or both. Ideally, we also have someone else feeding training treats so that the solo bather doesn't have to feed them with soapy hands.

Lots and lots of specialty dog shampoos on the market. I don't mind paying a little more for a fancier bottle of sulfate-free shampoo for dogs, since under normal circumstances it took us about three YEARS to finish a bottle (given how often the average Shiba needs to be bathed!). But since Bowdu's hypothyroidism was diagnosed, we've gone through so many overpriced bottles of medicated shampoo in search of just the right one, it's not even funny anymore... You're lucky if you can get away with just J & J. =)
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Let me preface Jazz's bath with the fact that she is not fond of a tub filled with water. I bought an attachment to the sink that turns it into a hand-held shower. This method is definitely preferred. In addition, I make sure that the water is very warm - I found that she does better the warmer the water is.
    CSC_0144
  • Alex575Alex575
    Chingaling, you're not alone when it comes to bath time struggles! Monju doesn't do the Shiba scream, although she whimpers throughout, but she'll try and climb out every which way. I have to get into the tub with her!

Thankfully I've only had to give 3 baths so far because she was shedding and leaving hair everywhere, and another time when she rolled in dog pooh (to my horror!) outside, LOL.

I use this shampoo:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CZJXJK/ref=oss_product

Smells good, although it's hard to pump out because it's pretty thick. Her coat comes out very soft but I don't know if it's this shampoo or because I've been giving her Grizzly's Salmon Oil, but in the beginning her coat was a little dry and brittle.

Belated congrats on getting your shiba, btw.
  • hey Rors, would that work with dogs that aren't white? Or wouldn't it show up on their fur? I've heard people do the same thing with cornstarch, but it seems like it wouldn't work with darker colored coats.

I bathed Toby last night and before doing it discovered we had no valium, only acepromazine, so he got one of those. He was pretty good--read stoned--in the bathtub and only tried to get out once. I hadn't really noticed how dirty he was: his coat is back to it's bright orange now, so he again looks like the great pumpkin (instead of a brownish goldish Shiba). He is also not quite as fat as he appears when his coat is not wet. I mean, he's hardly svelte, but he does have a waistline (kind of). I put show sheen on him too, which I've been using to detangle Oskar's coat, and today he is SO pretty, and his fur is like silk. Granted, Show Sheen has silicones in it, which I don't use on my own hair, so I probably wouldn't use it all the time, but a couple of times a year shouldn't hurt him, and he's so pretty now!

We also took advantage of his drugged state and clipped his nails.

What is sad is now that he's clean we can see how badly the hair got rubbed away on his neck--to big patches on either side of his head. Kind of wierd because he's had this collar for YEARS and it has never done that before, though it did get a little tight (or rather he got fatter), though I could still get my fingers under it easily...but I guess it was not loose enough. And he'd been scratching it, clearly. So it got some ointment, and his collar will stay off for a bit to let it heal up.

Funny, the look so handsome without there collars! I leave them on all the time in case I need to grab them, or in case they somehow escaped, but they do look so handsome without them.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I've used the flour trick on a husky and it worked like a charm. Of course, Gorky loved the hose and outdoor bathing...
    CSC_0144
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Back in the day before we had lots of nice dog shampoos, the main grooming staple for dog shows and house pets was cornstarch, chalk and baby powder, for dogs of all coats/color. It absorbs oils and odors really well and makes brushing easy. It's a great dry bath for camping too. I have used it for Grym and the Shibas, but the coat needs to be dry before use. It's like a giant dust bath. If scented Chinchilla dust wasn't so expensive, I would be tempted to try that too ;)
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • JessJess
    Kuma used to absolutely loathe baths. He did the Shiba scream, tried desperately to get out of the tub and I swore our neighbours were going to call the humane society because it sounded like we were torturing the poor pup! But we eventually managed to train him that bath time = TONS OF TREATS. So we would give him little treats in between and he stopped struggling and now just lets out the occasional whine.

I find that we end up bathing him every couple weeks because when we take him to the dog park he gets very muddy and covered in other dogs drool. He also has this habit of peeing while he poops and then he gets pee on his tummy (d'oh....) We use a dog shampoo that is supposed to leave the oils in tact because he does get bathed frequently.. it's called Japanese flour blossom, hehe. I thought the scent was appropriate.
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    my cousin also bathes his shiba every couple weeks cause Yoshi will get very dirty at the dog park too.
  • I managed to get Mitsu into the bath today - but only just, with the help of lots of string cheese and carrots!

Surprisingly, she didnt bark or whine, but did cover the bathroom with water when she jumped out and started running and shaking everywhere!

Now that its been mentioned... I've never heard Mitsu do a shiba scream. She is so quiet.
  • RorsRors
    Re: Flour on a non white dog - I dont know, I am guessing if you can brush enough out it should be ok. After we did a full body dusting ours would leave some flour angels on the tiles as the flour dropped out.

I thought Shiba fur was like Jap Spitz, Teflon coated. Any dirt , mud could be brushed out once it is dry? Is this the case?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)