For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Biting at Tail
  • KunuKunu
    Hi, this is a video of Kunu crying / biting at his tail. He's been to the vet a few times, and neurologist (although he wasn't very cooperative for the exam), and they don't know why he does it.

At first we thought anal glands, but they were fine on examination. I think it could be allergies. At times it was more intense than in the video, with a lot of short bits of screaming. He seemed to do it more at other places than at home. When he first started going to doggy day care he did it all the time, but wouldn't do it at all at home. I started giving him children's benadryl, and it seemed to stop, but i stopped the medicine and the behavior didn't come back. Now he snaps back at his tail all the time on walks, tons when running around in the dog park, or in the house sometimes. He doesn't scream / cry when he does it though, just snaps back a lot to try and bite it as if somethings bothering him. He is older now though so maybe he just tolerates it better?

Any advice would be appreciated, I think I'm going to try and get a dog dermatologist appointment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VkE83Y4et0
    Post edited by sunyata at 2012-08-09 10:04:14
  • It is a good idea to see a vet dermatologist to easy the aggravation and irritation. The regular vet ran out of ideas and it drove us bats watching out poor dog tear himself up. Yep allergies can cause some fierce tail biting and licking of the butt as well as a range of other picking, scratching, and licking. Once the allergy flairs were reduced/controlled via the dermatologist treatments we have noticed that all of the above stopped and we really have a pretty mellow dog.

Sending well wishes hope you can get to the cause and clear it up soon.
    Snf
  • johnwlajohnwla
    Haki went through stages like this and the only thing that I could identify was food allergies. I spent many visits at the vets getting increasingly frustrated as there was no clear cut solution. I ultimately got him on Ziwi-Peak and cut out all chicken and grains. This seemed to do the trick with him. Try Kunu on a basic protein diet, chose a single protein and slowly add other content to see what triggers the behaviour. Rest assured, it will pass, but it is painful to bear and very frustrating that they can not clearly say "hey, my butt is itching because..."

Now, that being said, we probably go through a mad frenzy once or twice a day when Haki realizes that his tail is there and gets very noisy as he chases it and runs in circles trying to catch it.

Best of luck and keep us posted
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Just curious -- why would you not suspect fleas? Even a single flea bite sets off Bowdu pretty badly... And I've also seen some pretty severe allergic reactions to fleas, like hair loss and itching that starts from the back end and spreads across the rest of the body. When either of my dogs yelp and itch like that, I suspect bug bites (and some frustration at being unable to reach their own rump).

If you do schedule a visit with a dermatologist, hope they can give you some more concrete answers!
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • Wow, that's pretty intense. I'd check for fleas and for allergies, though it does seem like fleas might be more likely.

When you first described it I thought it might be something like what johnwla was describing--the tail chasing, but it doesn't look like that. It looks like something is really bothering him. (the tail chasing can become OCD....my Akita does it and I have to stop him from it so he doesn't keep doing it).

anyway, I don't have any thoughts, but good luck with it.
  • It probably is some sort of allergy. Could be fleas, environmental, or food. The way he kind of goes at his tail then licks his mouth like hes really uncomfortable is very similar to Severus.

Did you apply some kind of flea medicine recently? food change? I hope its a food allergy because those are easy to fix.
  • glitchglitch

It is a good idea to see a vet dermatologist to easy the aggravation and irritation. The regular vet ran out of ideas and it drove us bats watching out poor dog tear himself up. Yep allergies can cause some fierce tail biting and licking of the butt as well as a range of other picking, scratching, and licking. Once the allergy flairs were reduced/controlled via the dermatologist treatments we have noticed that all of the above stopped and we really have a pretty mellow dog.

Sending well wishes hope you can get to the cause and clear it up soon.

Snf

@StaticNfuzz what kind of derma tests and treatments were given to your dog to treat his allergies? My dog is currently going through pretty much the exact same problems as the one in the video except he's even worse. It's really sad watching him whine and suffer all night. We've tried numerous things already and have seen the vet tons of times, but have yet to see a dermatologist yet. Any help would be great! Thanks

• Hello everyone,

I know this post started a while ago but my Shiba was kind of sounding like the same issue and we brought him into the vet today to get it checked out and it ended up being swollen anal glands. Chumpi (shiba) literally would walk one step and sit back down right away and then also do a quick fling to his back so he could try and bite/do whatever to hit butt, and now he isn't doing it anymore besides the occasional sit after walking much farther, I think only because they had to do whatever to check it out in the behind and may be a little sore but that's about it.

Hope this may help out others, the cost at are vet was $35, not sure if that's a lot or what not for what they did and not sure if it would have cost more because we have dog insurance for him.

Either way hope it helps out others!!!!

-Nick & Chumpi
    San Diego,CA

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)