For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Nail Clippers
  • I have a 7 month old Shiba.. The last time I trimmed his nails, I was able to use my nail clippers but his nails seem a bit thicker now. When did you guys make the switch to dog nail clippers? Any suggestions on a certain brand?
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Get a dremel, it's less stress on the dog's nail, and in turn, ont he dog itself.

Jesse
  • LosechLosech
    I use a dremel. Get your pup used to it by showing it to him and treating for good behavior. When he's fine with it close turn it on and treat when he's calm, then gently touch it to a claw and treat. This can take a while, but doing it right will make trimming your Shiba's nails a whole lot easier.

If you do get a clipper, do the same thing to get him used to it so he doesn't freak when you pull it out.
    Post edited by Losech at 2011-01-12 05:02:40
  • CaliaCalia
    I've always used the dog nail clippers, actually with my shiba they're technically cat nail clippers, you should never use human nail clippers on dogs/cats. Human nail clippers are meant to be used for flat nails and, when used on rounded nails that dogs and cats have, you run the risk of cracking the nail or severely irritating the quick.

A dremel is the way to go for a more comfortable trim, and personally I would use the ones sold at Home Depot than the ones sold in petstores.
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    I use the pedipaw. :)
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    pedipaw = low-rpm dremel with bit-guard:-). I use it and love it too but recognize it for what it is:-)

Jesse

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)