For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • sunyatasunyata
    So, after everyone's ordeals this month and the reviews that I have read online, I decided to get Nola a ThunderShirt.

It arrived this afternoon, so I thought we would give it a try. Nola is an overall anxious dog. She recovers quickly, but there are some instances where her anxiety really takes over her. (When she is around large dogs or my nephew.)

It came with very easy instructions and the material is SUPER soft. I let Nola sniff it (and yes, it make her anxious... new item in the house and all). We played some treat games with it so that she could get used to it before I put it on her.

Putting it on was a little bit of an ordeal... However, now that I know how to do it, I can get it on and off of her quickly with no fuss at all. In order to get a good snug fit, I had to put it on twice. The second time, Nola was much more agreeable, so I think that helped, as well.

And presto...

She was a little confused. I have never dressed her in anything other than collars and harnesses, so the confusion was a bit understandable. It took her a few minutes to realize she could still walk (I had to lure her with cheese). And it took a few more minutes for her to realize she could still sit and lay down.

But it really was like a switch had been flipped. She was much calmer than normal and WAY less anxious. She did not even flinch when Bella jumped off the bed and started barking at the front door (neighbor walking down the street... she could see him from the bedroom window). She is just calmly laying beside my chair.

And while this is definitely not a miracle product, and the real test is yet to be performed (I will go down and see my nephew in a couple of weeks), I really do think that there is something to the ThunderShirt.

DSC_3504

DSC_3506
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • SayaSaya
    Nice review glad it's helping Nola out some.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • we may have to try one for katsu
  • sunyatasunyata
    I am really curious to know if it will help with Nola's reactiveness with larger dogs. I will probably test it next weekend and I will let you guys know how it does. I figured I would let her wear it around the house for a few minutes a day until she gets used to having it on before we really try it on something that causes her major anxiety. I do not want her to start to associate it with bad things.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • meggersmeggers
    That is interesting, I'd be really tempted to get it, I'd just hate removing/adding my shiba's harness every time, as he makes such a big fuss. You'll have to keep us posted!
  • I have a 3 years old Shiba named Hurley who is always very nervous and portrays high anxiety in certain situation such as driving in the car. Whenever he is feeling nervous or scared he begins to shake, and if we are in the car he wants to sit on my lap so that I can hold him and he buries his face into my shirt or hand to hide. Or if there is something at home that makes him nervous he will immediately run under the bed and stay there for hours. He will even sometimes run around the house crying staring upwards as if he was watching something until we figure out what is bothering him, most of the time its a bug or a fly that he is scared of. I have never heard of the Thundershirt before but I would be interested to know how works.
  • sunyatasunyata
    And...

The vacuum cleaner is no longer the scariest monster in the world! :-D

So early today, I vacuumed, but I forgot about the ThunderShirt... So Nola did her usual freak out and hide under the bed.

So this evening, I figured I would let her wear the ThunderShirt for a bit and then bring out the vacuum. There was barely a reaction. She acknowledged that it was there and stayed away from it, but she did not run and hide under the bed. She stayed within sight of it and just watched. After I ran the vacuum for about 2 minutes or so, I turned it off and gave her some yummy treats. It was AWESOME!

Oh, I really hope this works with my nephew!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • JennyBJennyB
    Suzaku has a similar reaction (becomes a very calm, laid-back dog) when I put him in his harness. Because he HATES his harness. We call it his Kryptonite because it seems to make all of his SuperShiba powers go away. I can't speak of anxiety because the little Tasmanian Devil fears nothing. Except for the restricting and power-draining qualities of his harness.

I might have to try the Thundershirt on Blitz who is so anxious, he probably should be on Prozac. He throws up in the car -- while the car is still sitting in the drive. This June we will be living in a hotel during the rainy season, so leashed walks will be a necessity -- but he's afraid of umbrellas, thunder, and, yes, rain.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Wow, neat, she looks so calm and relaxed.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Hey Casey,
    Can Nola play with Bella in that Thundershirt?

Jesse
  • Have you been able to test it with your nephew yet?
  • sunyatasunyata
    Jesse - Nola is still a little confused about the Thundershirt. It takes her a few minutes to realize that she can, in fact, move around as normal while she wears it. But once she gets used to having it on, she normally will either lay down, go eat, or just walk around the room. She has not tried to initiate play with Bella while she has been wearing it. Since it has such a calming effect, I am going to assume she will probably not try and initiate play. But I will keep you updated!

And nope, things have been ridiculously hectic here, so I have not had time to drive down to visit yet. In a couple of weeks I will try and go down... I still have my fingers crossed that the Thundershirt will make the visit more enjoyable for Nola!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • sunyatasunyata
    And now... Thundershirt is great for reactivity!

So, due to some personal injury, I have been a little behind in my grad school work. Well, today was dedicated to getting the majority of a paper written down... That is until the neighbors decided to have their roof replaced on a Sunday, in freezing cold weather... (WTF?)

Well, some of you know that Bella is incredibly protective of our property. And apparently that includes our neighbor's roof. She had been barking and trying to attack the door all morning. And as much as I tried to distract her and even tire her out, nothing helped. We even went for a walk, which usually does a good job of getting her tired enough so that she does not care about all the strange people and noises... But today, not so much.

So after saying 'enough' and 'leave it' for the gazillionth time (normally this works, but I guess because she could see the people AND hear them AND they were so close, she was not having it), I decided to try Nola's Thundershirt before I officially lost my mind.

And... It worked! After I put it on, she went through the same confusion (just not as bad or as long) that Nola went through. She stood in the hallway and huffed at the door a couple of times, but when I told her 'enough', she turned around and sat down. She stared at the door for a few minutes, then just went on her merry little way. She is now laying on the bed, staring out the window not paying any attention to the noise or the people.

SUCCESS!!!

On a side note: Really weird thing happened when I went to let the pups outside after I got out of the shower this morning... I opened the door and saw a GORGEOUS husky on the other side of my fence. The pups ran up to him and sniffed, and I ran upstairs to get the treat jar and a slip lead (as I noticed he did not have on a collar). But by the time I got back outside (less than 30 seconds), he was gone... It almost made me think I was seeing things. Hopefully he made his way back home.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • SayaSaya
    Glad it's working for you. =)
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    This is pretty interesting! Glad to hear it's making things better for her!
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Bel got her thundershirt today, and we tried it on and....it started thundering! So I was afraid that she's associate it with thunder in a bad way, so I took it back off her. I had it on for about 5 minutes, and it was interesting to see that she almost instantly relaxed...a bit of slumping of her body and she leaned against me, but didn't seem fearful. I gave her lots of treats and she walked around in it and didn't seem bothered by it, but I'm a little afraid I'll give it a bad association by putting it on her the first time when there is a storm, so right or wrong, I'm not going to leave it on her right now, just in case.

Bel has many fears, so we will have many more opportunities to wear it, no worries there!

eta: I decided to put it back on her to see if it will calm her. Will report back.

Also, what size did you all get? I got med but there is a lot of velcro not covered since it just barely fits around her. I wonder if she should have large?
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2011-06-28 18:23:01
  • JudyJudy
    I ordered one for Chelsie, our jindo shepherd as noises are bothering her more and more. I'm hoping it comes this week yet so I can see if it helps during the fireworks.
  • This is an old thread but I thought this would be the appropriate spot for this. Long story short: The thunder shirt worked!

So I have two fosters right now and one, Shinji, has fear based dog reactivity. I think this is also only territorial because he attacks my other foster but not dogs at the dog park. They are separated by a baby gate and cannot come in contact without a fight. They have also learned how to jump the gate so now we have double protection (one behind a closed door and the gate too in case he slips through the door. Shinji was also probably neglected and attention deprived which I think has turned into separation anxiety with me. I was reading through past threads and really related to Toby's story.

http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/8619/toby-needs-to-chill....how-to-help-him/p1

SI can not be in two places at once and when I leave Shinji he will paw/scratch at the door or baby gate non-stop. This makes it impossible to use positive reinforcement training techniques because he really never stops and there is no point at which to praise him for the desired behavior. So I got a thunder shirt. Anything to try to help is worth it! I had never used one because my dog is very chill so I was hopeful but skeptical.

So far I LOVE IT! There is peace and quiet. No more slamming door or gate! Getting it on him was no problem and he never tried to get it off. He is overall more calm but the most important part is now I have a chance to reward for good behavior!

This also happened by accident but Todd, other foster, jumped the gate and Shinji was in the hallway (tight spots are no good). They just stared at each other and I was able to call Shinji into the hall bath and separate them! No fight! OMG! I am not going to assume this means his reactivity/aggression is gone, but we are making progress!

This is also a short-term arrangement because I am pretty sure we have found Todd's new home. I will also continue to use treats and train Shinji as the thunder shirt is not the long term solution for his anxiety.
  • tatonkatatonka
    So do you guys get a size smaller than girth dictates, or same size.. what do you guys recommend?
    Monkey!
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    I bought a medium and have tried it on two of my fosters. Todd is 24 lbs and it fits perfect. Shinji is just under 20 lbs so it is a bit too big for him but only in the front neck strap.
  • I have one for my foster Jibo. Sadly it doesn't help all that much, but then I think his fear aggression is a bit beyond the powers of the thundershirt. I am really glad to hear it is helping other dogs though!!
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Glad to see this thread revived, as I recently got Bowdu a ThunderShirt to see if it'll help him at all with his fear of the vet for his annual blood draw (necessary for his hypothyroidism). I don't think he's ever going to be comfortable at the vet, but anything we can do so that they don't have to completely knock him out just to take his blood would be great.

Last year, they managed to do the job with Acepromazine (and a very tight, uncomfortable-looking muzzle which they put on at the vet). This year I'll be going in with Ace, a basket muzzle that I'll put on beforehand (already got him comfortable with that), tiny training treats, and the Thundershirt.

Anyway, I just gave him a test fitting. Bowdu wasn't sure about it at first, but he didn't seem to think anything of it after just a couple minutes. He was jumping up and down on the couch with ease, and didn't seem weirded out at all. I thought it was on pretty snug -- maybe it needs to be cinched even tighter??

So that trial made me doubt that the Thundershirt is going to do what I want it to do, which is make him soft and pliant and tractable for the vet... *laugh* Yeah, right.

Well, it won't hurt, right?

I'll report back after Wednesday.

Bowdu in ThundershirtBowdu in Thundershirt

Also, I got size M too. Bowdu is about 29-30 pounds.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • atlasatlas
    @curlytails I'm definitely interested in hearing how that vet visit goes! Mitsu is forever an awful patient at the vet. She doesn't snap but she gets really anxious (and we even did fun vet visits while she was a puppy, treating her on the counter without exams, and stuff like that, but it didn't help. She started out fine and got worse with each exam.) and screams a lot. My husband always holds her but it makes a full exam difficult. So, if the Thundershirt makes any difference at all for Bowdu while he's at the vet, I may be tempted to get one for Mitsu!
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Well, my final verdict is... I don't know. =P It wasn't super effective, anyway.

Between the Acepromazine (mild sedative), the basket muzzle, and the Thundershirt, it's hard to tell what *actually* helped. Maybe all of it. The good news is that for the second time, they were able to draw blood from Bowdu without having to completely knock him out (I've detailed some of his most traumatic blood draws before). So even though I don't think it helped that much, I'll probably use the Thundershirt again since I now have it.

However, I will note that a couple of the techs actually appeared to act nicer to him because they saw the Thundershirt and immediately understood what it was about. It's also kind of cute/absurd to see dogs in clothing. *laugh* I mean, they're usually pretty nice at this clinic anyway (it's one reason I picked them!). But you know how some handlers will sort of bop around and squeal at the dog in a shrill or overly excited voice to create the illusion of a "fun" environment at the clinic? Yeah, that shit always backfires with Bowdu, and unfortunately there are a couple techs that sometimes resort to that mode. But when they saw the Thundershirt, everyone acted very calm and spoke to him in gentle, soothing voices. So THAT helped. And he even let a tech physically pick him up without making a peep, which has never happened before!

For the record, we've also got a pretty regular routine of "fun" visits to the vet too, and Bowdu is actually quite complacent when he's in the lobby and nomming on their free hypoallergenic Hill's treats. As soon as he passes through to the examination room halls though, he's on high alert mode and can't be convinced -- not for cheese, not for bacon, not for pasture-fed goat liver -- that everything is okay. His fear of the vet is beyond the Thundershirt, I think... and that's really a subject for another thread.
  • @curlytails I feel your pain. Jibo has a lot of fear agression towards strangers. So when I first got him from the rescue and took him to the vet to trim his nails (he is way too squirmy for my to do it solo) it was terrible. I put a muzzle on him, and had dosed him with rescue remedy and lavender. And from the waiting room we heard these terrible screams. I've dealt with the Shiba scream before... this was probably the worst I've ever heard it. Twenty minutes later they came out and said they got most of his nails, but the next time they trim his nails they wanted to sedate him completely.

So next time I brought him in I decided to hold him. I put the muzzle on, layed him down on the table and practically had to lie on top of him. Not a whole lot of screaming this time though, but he pooped all over the vet tech. Whoops.

Third time I put the thundershirt on him. He had also been on prozac for a couple weeks which has started to make it easier for me to desensitize him and work on the fear agression. Anyways, this time I held him upright instead of on his side, and he was almost perfect! I was so proud of him! The techs were too. They even got out a can of cheese whiz and treated him with it. Plus I was happy because it only cost 10 bucks instead of the typical 20 bucks.

Then it was rabies shot time and we didn't muzzle him at all! It helps that the vet is so flipping amazing with him. She'd sit down on the floor and give him treats and make sure he was comfortable with petting before she moved onto everything else. He was still nervous though.

So in short, I think a combination of EVERYTHING is good when you've got that tricky dog to deal with. It might never get to the point where they are happy with what you are doing with them, but when the vet can do their job, and you don't get too badly scratched up then I think it's a win.
  • jimjim
    The more I read, the more I realize how lucky I am with my Niki. I bought her a Thundershirt while on vacation in Fla. We rented a cottage near Santa Rosa Beach, and wanted to reduce any negative reactions to people walking past. It worked very well. At home we have deer, turkeys, fox, and of course coons, and skunks outside fairly regularly. When Niki hears them at night she wants to make sure that we know about it. Usually she only wakes us for a few minutes, but there hae been times that she continued to be overly excited, until I put the Thundershirt on her. Even though I rarely use it, it is definitely worth whatever I paid for it.
    Another cool shirt I got in Fla was a t-shirt for me that reads "In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One".
  • Sarah_Jay12Sarah_Jay12
    My husband and I adore putting sweaters on our (almost 1 year old!!) girl Maggie, but we notice a distinct difference in her personality when she is wearing one! I'm assuming this is exerting the same effect that a Thunder Shirt has? She is much calmer, and almost kind of mopey. She also turns into a little affectionate lovebug that will crawl up and fall asleep in your lap. But when you take the sweater off............ She is back to her crazy, fun loving self.

I think the only time she is "anxious" per se is when our kitten is out. She gets angry if she is also not out (of her kennel) or she wants to get down and play with the kitten while she is out. (That's a non-issue, we watch them pretty closely. Just saying that she's not really anxious anxious.)

We just think she looks cute in sweaters, but lately we've been noticing that it does come in handy. When people come over, she gets outrageously excited, so we casually make sure she's wearing a sweater when people initially come over and then we take it off after about an hour or so.

But anyways, what I'm wondering is: will her wearing sweaters (or Thundershirts, I suppose) have any effect on her overall personality? Like, haha, is it bad for her to wear them frequently?
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Sarah_Jay12 - No, it is not bad for her to wear an anxiety wrap frequently. But you might want to work on her excitement with new people versus using the sweater to mask the unwanted behaviour. Especially if she is not fond of wearing the sweater.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Sarah_Jay12Sarah_Jay12
    @Sunyata - Absolutely!
    The only reason I mention that is because I sprained my ankle in December, and have been in a walking cast since then - up until about 2 weeks ago. It wasn't healing from me still being on it and walking around, so my doctor decided to put me in a hard, non-weight bearing cast. Anyways, since the sprain (and especially now), my husband has pretty much been the primary caretaker of Mags. And while we have been making it a priority that she is getting enough exercise/walks/love/etc and monitoring her and our kitty during this rough time and my inability to be mobile, we have recently realized that her excitement when people come over or when we come home is sort of out of control and it sort of snuck up on us.

I guess I could have included all of that when I mentioned "but lately we've been noticing that it does come in handy." Haha, a little context can go a long way, I suppose. My mom has been visiting me during the day to help out with the FurKids/cleaning/cooking/company while my husband is at work, and when he is not here, it is much easier to just throw on a sweater and reward her for being good.

But now we are back to the basics. And once I am mobile again (hopefully soon!), we will be re implementing all of the training that has been lost in this awful waste of everyone's time. :(
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Hey, I got a single promo code to take $10 off any purchase of $29.95 or more from the makers of ThunderShirt. I already have a Thundershirt and won't need another one, so if you think you can use the promo code, PM me (I checked and the code is transferable).
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-05-16 13:44:52
  • BootzBootz
    @curlytails,

Hmm does the thundershirt work well?
    July 4th is coming up...and last year Bootz was very uneasy with all the noise. She would pace back and forth the house...whine and even shiver. I tried holding her and petting her to calm her down but it doesn't have any effect. If the thundershirt would help, i might purchase one (even though it'd be used only once a year lol)
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @Bootz I only have cause to use it maybe three or four times a year. It's one of those things that you're just glad to have around when you need it... which, for us, is the vet, and the occasional night freakouts that Bowdu has on windy nights. Both my dogs are okay with fireworks, so I can't say how it works with that. Wearing it does keep Bowdu from pacing during his freakout sessions. My review of how well it works is above (my results have been inconclusive). I think YMMV.

I know one lady who uses it as a general outdoors coat (she doesn't tighten it) just because it discourages her dog to roll when he's wearing something.

There are other things on the ThunderWorks page that I haven't tried, not just a shirt...
  • KichiPupKichiPup
    @curlytails thanks for sharing because my pup acts the same way at the vet, she practically had to be muzzled and we are going to have to start sedating her lightly because she gets so worked up, they can harldy give her vaccines (okay they can harldy get the thermo in her bum, she does the scream just for that) she secretes her anal glands everytime to :(. To the point where if its me driving the car, she will FREAK out and start hyper ventilating. ( I am always the one to take her to the vet) so I have been thinking about trying the thundercoat. This is the only time she doesn't listen to me or take treats of any kind. Like you said, it may not solve the problem but it might help a little!
    Glad to know someone else out there has a similar situation.
    Its worth a shot right?

• curlytailscurlytails
    @KichiPup Yeah, Bowdu does need to be muzzled and he has a bold "DO NOT TAKE TEMPERATURE" note in his file. He's not the most popular patient at the vet.

This is basically how he gears up...

This is how we prepare for the vet...

I got him his own basket muzzle because it's less stressful than the cinched one they put on him at the vet. It's a little loose on him in that photo. It was just a low key practice session around the house, where I just had him wear the whole setup to get accustomed to the feeling and thinking it's no big thing. The good thing is that he's very receptive to the counter-conditioning drills we try at home. However, his success at home does NOT translate directly to feeling comfortable at the vet...

Getting a ThunderShirt does not "fix" the problem or turn off his anxiety. At best, it slows him down and shows everyone else that we're trying to cope!
  • KichiPupKichiPup
    @curlytails I hear ya, I am afraid Kichi will soon be at the point where she will have to be muzzled and have a 'no thermo' remark. No matter how positive I try to make it, every time is worse. They attempted to put a muzzle on her last time and she nearly bit them so they gave up trying to get it on, but they always have it on hand when
    she comes in. I know the thundershirt won't get rid of it, but maybe help her cope a bit better before she gets worse. Like you, I know anything I do at home wont relay when its actually happening. Every vet appt she had had to get a vaccine ( they only wanted to do one at a time cause she was so small at first) plus I decided to get her vaccinated agaisnt Lyme and canine influenza. I know she hates the vet cause of the needles but I'm not letting that stop me from protecting her from diseases. ( we are in a very high Lyme disease area)
    I can probably stop by my work on my way to the vet and take one with me to try out and see if it helps at all. She's got a vet appt tomorrow, last two Lyme/flu boosters..... Yikes!! And then she's getting spayed a week later.... God help me LOL

• curlytailscurlytails
    @KichiPup Well good luck with that... and do your best to be relaxed, too!

I'm pretty sure I give off some nervous vibes that my dogs pick up on, and I'm SURE that my doctor-phobic partner does. I trust my current vet enough to let them take him to a separate room to do the bloodwork, because they report that he's more manageable that way. Not great, but more manageable. It's better than having to knock him out just to draw his blood, like at the previous vet...

In Bowdu's case, he's really not afraid of the needle or shots. It's being handled by strangers, and having strange medical equipment touch his parts. I first heard the Shiba scream during a routine ear check; the second time, the vet commented with a combination of bemusement and exasperation that the otoscope wasn't even touching him and he started screaming... So a more thorough practice with the ThunderShirt really should include letting other people pick him up and fondle him in unfamiliar environments.
  • notoriousscratnotoriousscrat
    @Curlytails Zim starts screaming before the otoscope even touches him as well!

We've found that Zim's Thundershirt helps quite a bit at the vet. It has at least once prevented him from needing to be muzzled, which is a relatively normal event for him as of about last December. Oddly enough, even so, the vet's office still loves him, though, and look forward to seeing him because when you're not trying to examine his face (he's really sensitive about his face---although he's oddly specific about when, so it's hard to countercondition), he's in love with everyone at the vet. One time one of the nurse's even drew a little picture of him on our bill!
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    The shibas have to be sedated before they go to the vet. Well, Bel doesn't. Her "terror" pose is to freeze, so as sad as it is, we just go with that, and go ahead and work on her. She has to go so often, and she has so many issues and drugs, that I don't like to sedate her every single time, so....I'm afraid she's just terrified. She's easy to work on though, because she doesn't try to get away. They do usually muzzle her, though, even though she's never shown a bit of human aggression, just because she's so unpredicatable.

Toby had a period (after his 6 week stay) that he could go without sedation. Now he's in the Bowdu/Zim category: you're coming toward me with an instrument! I'm going to growl and fling my 45 pound body off the table! No one will look in my ears! No one will touch my toes! We had a bad incident with a blood draw once, when the vet insisted, no Toby's fine, he doesn't need ace. I knew better, but brought him in unsedated. Let's just say most of his blood did NOT go in the vial. (They still love Toby, though!)

Oskar is fine. Scared, but fine. Good thing--there's probably not a thundershirt big enough for him. But Oskar's reaction to unknown experiences with people doing odd things to him as always been a deep sigh, a tail drop, and a "oh, mom, when will this be over?" look.

Leo though....I think I'll try the thundershirt on him next time we go. He's so polite and even happy to be there until we go into the exam room, and then all hell breaks loose when they try to restrain him. It's the restraint that bothers him. Last time there was peeing, anal gland expressing, and all they were doing was looking in his ears. It was the restraint that bothered him--and it's not even being held by strangers--it's just being held, period. So I'll try the thundershirt next time....I just hadn't thought of using it before for this, but it's a great idea.
  • MayamaMayama
    For those who are looking to purchases a ThunderShirt, I remember seeing it at Bed Bath & Beyond a few times. In case you missed the $10 off offered by @curlytails, a 20% off coupon at BBB is a pretty good deal too.
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • BootzBootz
    @Mayama, which BBB? i've been to the one in milpitas and i've never seen the thundershirt. ;) now i'm tempted to get it before July 4th, try it...and if it doesnt work return it!
  • MayamaMayama
    @Bootz, I believe saw it at the San Mateo store and it's also available on their website. Might want to call the store in advance to be sure.
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • RikkaRikka
    Well, now that 4th of July is coming soon, I purchased this for Sagan.

Last night, a couple of people across the street were lighting fireworks and I've never in my life seen Sagan so riled up. He was full-on aggressively barking and growling and snarling out the window at these people. Full on panting and shaking for hours afterwards. We ended up closing all the blinds/windows and making sure he was upstairs near us, but it didn't help much.

I doubt the Thundershirt will be the cure-all, but I hope it helps him from panting and shaking for hours after the fireworks. My current trainer sent us a video to also help "condition" them to get used to the noises, so I'll also be doing that...
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
    Post edited by Rikka at 2013-07-02 00:36:19
  • tatonkatatonka
    Tatonka doesn't get excited about a lot of things.. least of all fireworks. He's jumpy with some noises (like if something was dropped) but other noisy things he ignores (motorcycles, fireworks, screaming) or he sits and watches (bulldozers, jackhammers, vacuum cleaners).

He does go nutso when he sees @Bootz. He really doesn't like men in general.

I tried a Thundershirt on him. He'd sniff it a lot but his dislike for men, and his anxiety for when I'm missing or behind a door was unchanged.

I also tried an Adaptil collar which apparently works for some dogs but his behavior was unchanged.

Maybe I will try it now that he's a little older..
    Monkey!
  • ObizaObiza
    I wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone else had any stories on how well the Thundershirt worked for their furbaby (particularly if they have a furbaby that hates clothing!). Rusty recently developed a fear to thunderstorms this summer. We had one very large storm that hit close to home and woke everyone up and ever since he starts panting and following us before a storm even gets close. Once the storm is on top of us he’ll continue to pant and shake unable to relax until it passes. Our vet recommended an anxiety wrap such as a Thundershirt before trying any medication but Rusty is so opposed to any clothing I’m worried it’ll make him even more anxious.

My husband’s parents were watching him during the Fourth of July week which included many fireworks and storms. He was so on edge he didn’t even want to eat most days. She did get him to relax after finally placing his bed under her desk with a diffuser plugged in nearby that was using a calming blend of essential oils. Rusty has never used a crate so he doesn’t have a den like spot to hide in. I’ve thought about getting a cardboard box out with some blankets to see if he’ll take to it during storms but it’s been so hot this summer he usually doesn’t even stay in his bed long before getting out and laying on the hardwood or tile to cool off.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    @Obiza - Ozzy really isn't an anxious dog, but he doesn't like the fireworks. So I have a thunder shirt for New Years and the 4th. xD He mostly just tries to hide in compact spaces. With the thundershirt on, he is more relaxed. And he definitely doesn't like clothing. Usually freezes up in clothing. For him, making a big deal about it makes him more anxious. If I just put his little thunder shirt on and place some treats all around the room, eventually he starts to mozy around and seek them out. Otherwise he'd just hide and cover his face.

So the thundershirt does help him, but his anxiety even with the dreaded fireworks isn't too bad. He gets a little trembly and nervous, and I want him to feel safe. I think it's worth trying out. Ozzy doesn't mind wearing it and he hates almost all clothes and harnesses hehe. But it's important to make sure they have a good, casual introduction to the thunder shirt, not just strapped on when they're feeling fearful and don't know what's going on.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-07-18 22:21:04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)