For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Himalayan Dog Chew
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    Has anyone of you guys bought the Himalayan Dog Chew for your Shibas? I've heard nothing but good things about it.
  • IchigoIchigo
    yes! get them :)
  • Get them...they're great!
  • sunyatasunyata
    They are AWESOME. The pups love them!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • LosechLosech
    Got one for Conker today since he did such a good job on his first hike. He chewed on it for 30 minutes straight before he decided barking at me was more fun.
  • RorsRors
    Hi What are they - Havent heard of them here in Australia
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    http://www.himalayandogchew.com/
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • RorsRors
    Ta, I haven't found them here yet but still looking. It may be a milk product quarantine issue.
  • KaylaKayla
    Apologies shibahiro for hijacking your post, but what size is best for puppyhood until say 6months? then 6mo til 1 year?
  • LosechLosech
    I got Conker the medium. I'm just wary of smaller things and prefer him to have stuff bigger than his size. It'll also last longer than the smaller ones.
  • From another post by Forum member (sorry, can't remember who) suggested when the chews get small, put them in microwave for a minute (piece was like 1.5 inch) - I tried it and it's so awesome...puffs up about 5 times size and is a giant cheese puff...Koji went CRAZY!

He ate in one happy session...

They are not cheap and it's a great way to use every last bit...
  • johnwlajohnwla
    Haki demolished his within two days. Apparently it is yak milk or something ;-) I will have to remember the microwave trick next time
  • pekupekupekupeku
    Where's the best place to buy them online? Any suggestions?
  • bestbullysticks.com
  • After viewing all the raves about the Himalayan Dog Chews, I ordered one for Foxy and while on the Bestbullysticks.com site (thanks Val,) I saw that they had Himalayan Dog Chew Sprinkle for food. I ordered that too and got it last night. Well upon taking the seal off the top of the bottle, Foxy was grunting and going nuts. Let's just say there was no delaying eating all her food today! She loved it and I can't wait to give her the chew to try out later.

Thanks for the recommendations.
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Foxylover at 2011-12-19 23:00:08
  • Koji, thanks for the tip on microwaving the chew when it gets too small for them. Foxy is loving it. It's funny because my friend who has two dogs came over one night and her dogs found Foxy's Himalayan Chews and went crazy over them. They quit playing with her just to chew on them. So I bought her a couple for her dogs. I could swear I just gave them to them last week and they've already finished them. Her dogs are smaller than Foxy too. I just introduced her to Doggyloot.com. I think she's going to be needing some deals.
    Photobucket
  • I bought a large one for little kipster (he's on 12 weeks old) and he's having a hard time chewing it. Instead he carries it in his mouth where ever he goes. He'll eventually finish it in 5 months maybe.
  • Yeah, he'll love it as he gets bigger. This is the fastest I've seen Foxy go through one. I think it was because her two doggy friends have been gnawing on theirs non-stop so she thinks she has too also.
    Photobucket
  • InoushiInoushi
    I'm glad people are doing the microwave thing. When I first did it, I was kind of scared, since it was an experiment. I would recommend leaving the microwave door open for a little while, the smell takes a while to go away. Kenshin prefers them as puff balls so he devours them as fast as he can and leaves the ends right where I can see them.
  • So you Inoushi were the one to come up with the microwave trick. Good job! My dog thanks you. She was funny because after she finished the puff, she went back over to the microwave area and was looking/sniffing all over for more.
    Photobucket
  • YukikoYukiko
    I cannot find it online right now, but I saw it at a local pet store - it's a bag (with the Himalayan label) of small pieces of Himalayan Chews and the directions are to microwave, then give as a treat (it's not the Yaky Yam one). They said it was a new product.
    Post edited by Yukiko at 2012-02-09 08:04:35
  • Yukiko: www.bestbullysticks.com sells them.
  • deerparkdeerpark
    Does your dogs finish it? My dog dislikes it and the chew always ends up hardening. I imagine it would be good for teething puppies and dogs who like to chew on stuff.
  • Yukiko, it's not meant to microwave. It's a chew that you can find on line and also it sounds like the one you described at your pet store. Foxy loves them and chews them down till they are about nothing. Because it can be dangerous once they get small about a inch inch 1/2 then you want to take it away because they can choke on it. That goes for any bullystick. Inoushi and Koji both mentioned putting the last little piece in the microwave for about a minute and it puffs up like a cheese puff. Foxy loved it and was looking for more.

Shibahiro mentioned a good thread to get them at. That's where I've always gotten mine. They also have a powder that I sprinkle on her food.
    Photobucket
  • YukikoYukiko
    @Foxylover @shibahiro - The bag I'm referring to sells 10ish pieces that are 1inch x 0.5inch x 0.5inch, so definitely not meant to be chewed on and the back of the bag says to microwave them 30 secs. :D We usually buy the medium sized ones for Yuki to chew on, but she prefers it microwaved so we've been chopping it into pieces. We were really excited to see them sold already chopped. :D The store owner said it was a brand new product, so maybe the company finally caught on, haha. :P
    *edit: Found it! https://www.wholesalepet.com/Product/52328
    Post edited by Yukiko at 2012-02-09 12:02:00
  • wow! that is definitely new!! haven't seen that before!
  • Oh!! I bet your right! Good for them. Smart on their part and I'll have to look for it.
    Photobucket
  • tkfushtkfush
    OK, so now tonight I'm going to have to try the microwave thing. I gave Yuki one of the chews and she just dropped it, smelled it then put it in the corner of the room and never went back...Maybe she will like it better microwaved...
  • catloreecatloree
    Ooh, I'm going to have to try microwaving one! Elwood LOVES the Himalayan dog chews & I hate throwing away that last little bit. Thanks for the great idea!
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    ugh! I think I'm going to stop giving Hiro himalayan dog chews. He will sometimes swallow bigger pieces. I guess it isn't breaking down as well in his stomach and he'll puke the next day. =( Has this happened to anyone before?
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    @shibahiro

Yes, that's why I started microwaving the last piece :)
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • EthosEthos
    I ordered some last night.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion