For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Thinking of a Husky
  • GatsuGatsu
    I just want to say I had 2 husky's. And They were great dogs. I defiantly didn't get them enough exercise(I was a terrible dog owner :( ). But even so they never were destructive. They were also a hell of a lot more obedient than the shibas, that's for sure.
  • Good luck Sarah_Jay12 on getting the husky of your dreams. I have always liked Husies but my husband says they are too big and too hairy. The Shiba is a dog that satisfies both of our wishes in a dog. He likes small dogs and I like dogs with a long snout and ears that stand up. I like Huskies, American Eskimo dogs, Shibas, etc. I did not realize so many people were "anti=husky" until reading this thread. I know a lot of Huskies and they are good dogs and do not resemble what a lot of people have wrote. So thankful that Calia is a voice of reason on this topic.
  • RikkaRikka
    Post edited by Rikka at 2012-12-08 19:51:24
  • SayaSaya
  • JuniJuni
    I think huskies are beautiful dogs and I admit I don't know that much about them. But since they are bred to be running for hours I've always thought it would be too much for me. And I consider myself a very active and 'outdoorsy' person. It is quite possible that it would be enough exercise to run in the dog park, but I think it is also likely that it won't. So since you admitted yourself that you are not very active people...I don't know, if you didn't have a dog already I'd think you didn't realize the commitment, but with a shiba in your home already I'm pretty sure you do. It's just that feeling that you ought to be more active isn't same as enjoying it or wanting to do it or being able to change into a more active person. And keep it up for the next 10-15 years.
    Huskies I would think really are the kind of breed that need to do long distance running to stay happy and healthy.
    Apart from that I think they get along fine with Shibas. My breeder knows people that own huskies and they meet up in the weekends for long hikes and her Shibas really admire the huskies.
  • RikkaRikka
  • RikkaRikka
    Post edited by Rikka at 2012-12-14 20:55:22
  • SayaSaya
  • JuniJuni
    @sarah_jay good luck with the kitten!
  • So

My lil cousin (20 yrs old) wants a dog. He lives with my aunt and uncle and goes to college. My aunt and uncle do NOT want a dog. My aunt is my moms sister and she and I are close. I don't really care about her input here since I know she has too big of a heart to do anything other than love the dog. That being said...

It's gotta be an easy dog so they can actually help (and will want to). Now my cousin swears he'll do it all himself and won't need their help but that's bull. He wanted a shiba. I said no. He now wants a husky. I think that is ridiculous. I think I have him liking Samoyeds (winter dog looks and good temperanent (I am choosing his breeder. We are still a ways away from that, but from this forum I know what to look for. I don't want him being stupid so as much as I hate the idea of him getting a dog, if I don't help he'll just go to a pet store.)

Any experience with Samoyeds? Are they as "easy" as it sounds (relative to a husky)? Can it be an off leash dog?

Any other breeds I should steer him to?

My cousin will train the dog. I have no fears about him being lazy about that. More about how easy it will be for my aunt and uncle to help out.

Tl;dr- cousin wants a husky because it looks cool. Not good for his life. Needs a winter looking Dog that is an easy breed. Suggestions? Thoughts on Samoyed?
  • BootzBootz
    @BanjoTheBetaDog

Since he's 20 years old and still in college... I would give him a smaller breed. The coat of a Samoyed requires some work. His parents might complain about the shedding too.

What dogs have your aunt and uncle have? I would honestly get them a people pleasing dog vs a spitz. Just because they actually take time and effort.

• @bootz

My aunt and uncle do not want a dog at all but my cousin said he is getting one anyways. In my family behavior like that is encouraged. It shows initiative.

Not.

They know he is going to do it anyways so they want me to make sure he doesn't screw it up. I am trying to talk him out of it but he is being hard headed.

He wants a spitz. I agree about the shedding but right now everything is competing with a husky and I know how much that will suck.

When you say a people pleaser, what do you mean? Like a bijon friese?
  • @Banjothebetadog

How does your cousin feel about corgis? They are the most trainable spitz I can think of.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • JuniJuni
    How about a Finnish Lapphund? They are easy going spitz type of dogs. Not sure how common they are in the US though.
  • zandramezandrame
    It's times like this where I can see the appeal of a "companion spitz" - the aesthetics of a northern breed with an easier temperament. But all dogs are individuals, so a good breeder and upbringing are still important.

@BanjoTheBetaDog, what about the American Eskimo, Japanese Spitz, Keeshond, Eurasier, Finnish Spitz, Finnish Lapphund, or even Klee Kai? Just some ideas.

But honestly, it sounds like your cousin should not get ANY dog. The way you described him, he does not sound responsible or ready for a 14-year commitment. And without support from his parents, the dog will be the one that suffers.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • @sunyata and @zandrame ... Yeah, I totally agree but he is an only child and my aunt and uncle spoil him. He's told them he is getting a dog anyways and they are resigned to their fate. I have tried for months to convince him its not right, and he isn't having it. At this point my aunt has moved from asking me to tell him no, to making sure he doesn't do anything stupid.

That being said, I like the finnish laphund a LOT! Nice to know a samoyed is also an adorable devil and the 'sammy smile' is a mind trick. I don't think they'll tolerate excessive shedding.

Its hard for me to give a good assessment of my cousin's responsibility. He is a good kid, and I know he won't half ass his responsibilities. That being said, I know what his schedule is like and there are times someone else will have to let doggy outside and watch him, or my cousin won't be home and it will be the dog with my aunt and uncle. Both of them will love the dog dearly, I have no reservations about that, but the few hours a week they'll be on doggy duty should be enjoyable and not a terror.

• Just my two cents on the american eskimo... helped raise one with my best friend. Adorable face, always looks like he's smiling, and he was a quick learner. However, shedding galore, and very high energy. Mischievous like the shiba, tested his boundaries at every turn.

No matter what breed he ends up going with, the puppyhood months are going to be a lot of work and money for him (and the family).
  • Another question for him is does he want a puppy or is he looking to adopt an older dog?

His aunt and uncle might fair better helping with an older dog than going through all of the puppy madness. If he's fixed on getting a puppy and can't alter his schedule to do most if not all of the work, I wouldn't want to push that on someone else. I am in school too and my schedule isn't as crazy anymore but when talking to my roommate, the agreement was that I have to do all of the work with puppy raising and potty training.

But, when I first told my dad about me wanting to get a dog, his first reaction was to convince me not to do it. He said everything from he had doubts about how responsible I'd be and things like that, so I think I can understand where your cousin is coming from, but the thing was, I was prepared. I moved 10 mins away from school and altered my schedule just so I could get a dog and be home frequently to raise him myself.

A few things I would do with your cousin:

Sit him down and figure out when the best time to actually get the dog will be. For myself, I had to do a bit of calculating and fanegaling with my times and breaks. The first thing I would convince him to do is wait until his summer break to actually get the dog. Getting a dog (especially) in the middle of the semester is going to be way too stressful; I think even he might realize that on his own. Plus, he'll have less (if any) scholarly obligations over the summer. He can take this time to focus on his dog and build that relationship.

Them have him draft up a schedule for himself for the fall semester. He should know which classes he'll be taking by April-ish. At the beginning of the fall semester, the puppy should be 5ish months old and if he doesn't get a puppy, the dog has had 3 months of time to spend with your cousin. His drafted schedule should have the times that he'll be coming home to feed and take the dog out during the day. Work with him to make sure it is realistic and even have him try it out to see if it's do-able.

Have him start a savings fund for the dog. (I'm assuming he has some sort of income if he wants to take care of a dog.) I would even help him calculate how much he should save based off of what vaccinations he'll need but also include prices for things like insurance, insurance deductible, vet checkups, medicine, food, toys, treats and crate. If he doesn't have a budget, have him make one of those too and between now and him getting the dog, keep him accountable to sticking to his budget.

If he doesn't have a will drafted, have him write one.

Have him search around at local vets so he can get a better idea on prices and possibly meet some of the vets in his area.

Get him to read some of the dog books (before and after you get your puppy). Ask him how he plans to socialize his dog. How will he potty train? How will he exercise his dog? What is his plan if his dog is sick? How will he get his dog to the vet? What will he do if his dog has separation anxiety or hates his crate? And if he doesn't have an answer, guide him to the place to find these answers.

The last thing I would ask him to write down the things that he wants out of a companion dog. Then help him link up those traits he wants with an appropriate dog. Hopefully this can help him realize that if he wants a dog that will perform tricks on end, an independent or aloof dog won't really fit the bill. Or if he wants a tv-watching/snuggle buddy, a high energy breed might not be the best.

From what I am interpreting, I think he could be ready for a dog, but needs guidance on how to adequately prepare. I was the same way. I think at this point, you can really set your cousin up for success if you teach him how to responsibly prepare for getting a dog. Hopefully this will help him start thinking about the well-being of his future companion. And maybe during this process he might change his mind about getting a husky/shiba and get a more appropriate companion for himself.
  • A note about the Finnish spitz: when we were looking at dogs we definitely considered getting one. I have previous dog ownership experience (with a spitz in fact), my partner only had previous dog experience (but not ownership experience). After doing all the research we decided on a shiba inu in part because he felt that the ownership hurdle for a Finnish spitz was too high. Our understanding is that as a breed overall, they are actually more stubborn and "difficult" than a shiba inu.
  • BootzBootz
    So many comments!!

@Banjothebetadog

I think you should have him babysit a high energy dog/puppy first to experience first hand the responsibilities he would have. I have a feeling you might have to step in and clean up the mess if your cousin does get a dog, and things go sour....
  • I have a neighbor who had a Samoyed and the Samoyed was shedding all the time and also barking a lot. Unfortunately she did not do her research prior to getting the dog. After just a few months, he gave up on the Samoyed and gave him to a shelter. Luckily, another neighbor has a rescue organization and the dog is now in a good home.
  • @Banjothebetadog-I agree with Bootz that you'll wind up having to adopt the dog yourself when things go south.
  • The issue there being that as he has said before, @banjothebetadog doesn't feel like he's in the position to take on another dog and give Banjo the life/time he deserves and Banjo naturally, is his first priority. I seem to recall that being the case when the friend that got him into shibas had to give up their shiba.
    [edited for typos]
    Post edited by violet_in_seville at 2015-01-29 14:08:09
  • Or a norwegian elkhound? They're a medium spitz breed that more of a medium energy level.
    Post edited by 2dogsandawolf at 2015-01-29 15:23:46
  • JuniJuni
    Norwegian elkhound, I've been told here on the forum are bred a bit different in the US, here they are almost exclusively hunting dogs who would not like apartment living.

All the Swedish vallhund I've met have been a bit difficult. And they bark really loud!

I totally agree with the ones of you who are worried about this guy's ability to take care of a dog (and I love @justifiedgaines post, he should read it!) but I can't help enjoying thinking of better fitting breeds. I still vote for Finnish lapphund...
  • @violet_in_seville, and @antoinette and @bootz

There is NO WAY I AM TAKING IN THIS DOG. Completely non-negotiable.

I read @justifiedgaines post and will be incorporating all of those ideas (probably gonna copy and paste it. And claim it as my own idea).

These breed suggestions almost give me puppy fever. Many good options.

I volunteer with a rescue and am going to see if he will foster so he can have an idea of what he is getting himself into.

I am trying to sell him on a bulldog (too lazy to give my aunt and uncle a constant headache), but he wants something active. =\

Keep the suggestions coming!

• BootzBootz
    @Banjothebetadog

Too lazy up give them a headache, but vet bills will.

Go with a retriever or something!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • RikkaRikka
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • CaliaCalia
  • Bump

My idiot cousin put down a deposit for a husky pup. He is getting it in 9 weeks (pups are expected this week). My aunt and uncle are quietly starting to approve... they have started shopping for dog clothes and picking out names, but are still saying "we don't want the dog".

I suggested to him "before and after you get your puppy" as mandatory reading for him and his parents...

I told him to look for a puppy school and a vet.

He already got a crate from a friend (he got to this breeder from a friend. They pass most of my checklist except the woman simply isn't very funny. And as we know, I am a regular charlie chaplain)

What am I missing?

(he has committed to doggy health insurance)
  • BootzBootz
    Reputable breeder? Tell him to start planning his daily schedule for potty training and what not!
  • Breeder seemed good. Been breeding for about 20 years, had a full health history going back to then. I was ok with the breeder especially since his friend has gotten two from them and never had issues. They met the rest of my criteria (clean, good health records, etc).

• JuniJuni
    A bit of topic but, doggie clothes? For a husky????
  • I am just happy my aunt and uncle are embracing it!!

I should have clarified... they are looking at bandanas, collars, etc... my point is they are already shopping for the dog! If they pu tthis dog in a dress god help them

• JuniJuni
    Oh I see, that sounds better...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)