For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Thinking of a Husky
  • ncieloncielo
    Hey guys, I've been craving another dog for a while now, not only because Niko has the company of just cats and occasionally he goes to homes and play with other dogs but at the moment, no interaction with other dogs whiles at home. I wanted to adopt an older dog as well, I didn't care what breed and what injury, just an older dog because their senior calmness is something me and my fiancee need in our home right now.
    Since I thought about the adoption I was thinking of looking out for huskies. I don't really know how the two breeds get along, both shiba and huskys but if anyone knows or have a husky at home, I would love to hear about some advice and experiences with the two.
    P.S I'm not really being picky about the gender of the dog I'm going to adopt.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Ask Calia (Beth), she has both.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • CaliaCalia
    LoL, huskies are a great dog to have, but they are a lot of work, but are a lot of fun. I would have to say that he is pretty mellow for a husky, so he may not be anything like the huskies up for adoption near you.

My two have grown up together, so they are used to each other, but it may not be the case with two adult dogs. Tikaani is great with other dogs, and so long as it doesn't involve something he wants, he'll back away from growling dogs. Tikaani does have a tendency to push Tetsu's buttons, and he can be very rough and tumble when they play together. They can get very physical, so much so that at the dog park people will freak out cause they think the "big scary wolf" is killing the "smaller helpless fox". They then see Tetsu bite Tikaani's scruff, and Tikaani just falls to the ground with Tetsu on top. Tikaani can be a bit rude to Tetsu, so you may want to consider if your pup will tolerate rude behavior.

There are arguments between them from time to time, but nothing bad enough to cause injury. Tikaani does have a really strong prey drive and even though he was raised with cats, he'll still try to chase the strays that come onto the property. I'd imagine that if the husky wasn't socialized to smaller dogs, it may consider it prey as huskies are practically 3x the weight/size of a shiba.
  • emmyemmy
    When I got my shiba we lived with a roommate who had a husky. Their play styles were very similar, but the husky was kind of bossy and rude to the shiba. The shiba didn't always want to play, and the husky did. It was a smaller husky, so size wasn't a huge issue...it was almost always the shiba chasing the husky when he did want to play....when he didn't then there would be snarkiness. That husky was also quite calm and dainty, so some of the larger more fiesty huskies could be a different story.

I would say that a husky and a shiba isn't a poor idea in and of itself....just like getting another shiba, you have to make sure you choose wisely, introduce them properly, and make sure that they have positive interactions to avoid ugliness.
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    If you have cats then Siberian Husky's will most likely go after them, some when raised around cats will be fine with them and some will not. They have a very high prey drive. Huskies are harder to train and tend to have a mind of their own. They have a "what's in it for me?" type attitude. They are not looking to please you and they will ignore you and walk away if they dont feel like dealing with you. They are extremely stubborn. You need a 6 foot fence, they will jump or climb your fence to get out. They are great climbers and excellent escape artists! They dig too, so if you have a beautiful yard you might end up with a few holes. Huskies should NEVER be trusted off leash, they are runners and they will run away at any opertunity. They are "talkers" or from what I have experienced "screamers". They have ALOT of energy and they need lots of room to run. If they dont get enough exercise they will become very destructive. I used to have one and he was absolutely horrible, but that does not mean yours will be. I have done ALOT of research on that breed and got one and it was a huge mistake. Mine was poorly bred and aggressive. After what I experienced with that breed I will NEVER have one again. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THE BREED, THEY ARE DEFINITLY NOT A BREED FOR EVERYONE, THEY REQUIRE ALOT OF TRAINING AND THEY CAN BE VERY DIFFICULT.Lauren

Sinister ~ 5.5 yr old black male GSD 3.11.09
    Draven ~ 16 month old male Dalmatian 6.20.13

Cats: Chaos, Mayhem, Monster, Wicked
  • LaRen,
    you do know you just described Shiba's, right?

:)
  • teehee, i was thinking that too
    ninjarf21.tumblr.com
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    I think there is a difference however between a 10 pound out of control dog and a 65 pound out of control dog.

Shiba's might have alot of energy but I doubt that they have more energy than a Siberian Husky, I doubt they are as loud too.

Cats have a better chance with a Shiba than they do with a Siberian Husky.Lauren

Post edited by LaRen616 at 2010-12-28 15:54:05
  • ncieloncielo
    I've been thinking and I think I'll wait a year and buy a young lady for Niko. I think thatll be enough company for him ;)
  • IchigoIchigo
    hahhaa sounds like laren talked ncielo out of a huskie! :P
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    Dont get me wrong, people have/love Siberian Huskys for a reason, I think that they are absolutely one of the most beautiful dog breeds in the world but I absolutely do not like their temperments and behavior. I think alot of people get Siberian Husky's without doing their research and they end up with an aggressive and out of control dog. Siberian Huskys are one of the top 10 most aggressive dog breeds and I witnessed it not once but several times. There are alot of Siberian Husky BYB's so there are alot of poorly bred Huskys in the world and that is why they are on the list of most aggressive breeds.

I hope I did not ruin your opinion of the Husky breed, I just wanted you to know that they can be a serious problem. I truly do believe if you went through a extremely reputable breeder you might end up with a great dog but even then they will most likely still be diggers, runners, escape artists, destroyers, talkers and very stubborn.Lauren

• lindsaytlindsayt
    LaRen616-I'm not certain that I would group those traits with aggression. It's a working breed that is expected to have more drive and energy.Those can be irritating facets of a Sibes nature, but that is also what a lot of people find endearing about them. I have no doubt that there are unscrupulous breeders breeding weak nerved, volatile tempered, unhealthy dogs, just as in all breeds, but it does the breed a dis-service to put them all in one pot and call them all aggressive without acknowledging the importance of mental stimulation and adequate exercise. Each dog is an individual, and some homes (probably most) are not what a high energy, intelligent, exercise dependent, big dog needs. You do have very good points to consider tho, especially regarding prey drive and predatory drift, which is very important when there are small animals at home, and also the fact that most people certainly do not do enough research before buying a "difficult" breed like a Sibe (or a Shiba). Thank you for sharing your experiences with the breed.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    Lindsayt~ You are absolutely correct. Each dog is an individual and may be different than the breed standard. But the standard is there for a reason, it is a guidline of how the dog should look, how their temperment should be and how they should behave. Of course not every dog is the standard. The standard does not state that the Siberian Husky breed is aggressive, in fact it states that they are very friendly dogs. But they are labeled as one of the top 10 most aggressive breeds. I have witnessed their aggression. Of course, not all of them are aggressive, but after meeting several and seeing that the majority of them were aggressive was rather alarming to me.

I also forgot to mention that they can be very difficult to housebreak. I thought I was doing something wrong but I read that it is actually common to have problems potty training them.Lauren

• CaliaCalia
    Siberian huskies are actually meant to be a very people and dog social breed, their "aggression" mainly focused on the little furry animals that scamper and taste good. They are independent thinkers cause they have to work with their person from a distance instead of up close, as well as needing to be able to work with other dogs close by. All well bred Sibes I've met were incredibly friendly and social, as well as full of energy. Often times though, when there is an issue with a Sibe it's usually the fault of the owner for not stimulating or exercising them enough.

Unfortunately, like many other breeds, they've fallen prey to ByBs and puppy mills. Any dog, no matter what the breed, has a higher potential of being aggressive due to lack of proper breeding practices. The majority of them aren't even pure Sibe, the tails being a good indicator (Sibes have a straight wolfs tail, not curly like a shiba or malamute), so that could also add to the aggression.
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    We commented at the same time. I am aware that the standard does not say that they are aggressive, but I have met alot of aggressive Huskys. Some were BYB's but some were from reputable breeders.Lauren

• INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Not that I am recommending the breed but look at the Alaskan Klee Kai thread I started. Someone mentioned a true breeder of miniature Huskies. My guys have gotten along with all the Sibes that they have met at the dog run. When I decided to get another puppy I went with another Shiba.
    犬竜
  • CaliaCalia
    The main reason why Sibes are marked off as aggressive and similar BSL to pits when it comes to apartments, insurance etc, is because all these places rely on a report done long ago about bite statistics. Gonna have to find the link, but in the report it basically groups a lot of the dog breeds together. One of the groups is labeled "husky type dogs", which basically includes anything that might look like a Sibe including mutts. I know that this article was discussed several times on this and the NK forum, gonna have to find it.

LaRen, it makes me sad that the majority of Sibes you've met were aggressive, as they are really great dogs and (to me) easier to handle than a shiba. You're just gonna have to meet my Tikaani some day and be blown away at how great a dog he is ;)
  • Kuma just turned 1yr. this month and my daughter is looking to get two Huskies. We have raised a Husky and Akita mix together before, but my daughter has moved to Missouri and we are in Oklahoma, so when she gets the pups I plan to take Kuma to visit as soon as she gets them and then go visit as often as possible to socialize the dogs. Kuma goes to daycamp every week and plays with the big dogs when he goes and there has been a Husky in his group before. I know long distance socialization is going to be difficult, any suggestions? The Huskies will be coming to visit us also and I would really like to do everything possible to try to get them to know each other. ALSO my daughter hasn't found a breeder yet....any suggestions on a responsible breeder of Huskies?
  • SayaSaya
    I don't know any responsible husky breeders sorry.. Before learning about shiba inu and other Japanese breeds I wanted husky..

Hope socialization goes well does she plan do puppy kindergarten and obedience class?
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • jelliesjellies
    If you want to get a husky as senior calming company, perhaps for when you are out, don't do it! they are such amazing animals but really need human company and exciting tasks all day.
    As I write this it is 7am and the most beautiful 1yo husky next door is softly howling because the dog sitter left for her job. He will howl and sleep on and off till she comes back for lunch walk, and again until she comes back for the evening. Their backyard looks like the front entrance to a dragons den with bones and toy carcasses scattered around. Their back door has had the laminate stripped off it, there are giant holes in their garden. I'm told everything in the house has been chewed to a nub. When he walks he has to be kept away from the off leash areas because his play style is too much (Shiba scaled up). He escaped once and was found miles away with a broken leg. His owners sent him away for doggy boot camp for 3 weeks because they ran out of ideas. I'd do anything for that dog but it would have to be priority #1, above all other things, until he was older.
    because walking a Shiba often creates husky chat, once every few weeks someone says how they once had one what a mistake they made (because they did not have the focus necessary).
  • SayaSaya
    The person's daughter is the one getting the huskies..

And sounds like the owner of the husky who howls not a good one? Does it get enough exercise? Huskies needs ton of it and get destructive if not have enough of it.

What do you mean senior calming company?

Sad there is bones and carcasses.. I feed raw and items Saya gets is thrown away once they're bare bone and no meat..
    Photobucket
  • CaliaCalia
    @littlebear - Actually, huskies more require dog companionship than human. They do not do well as the only dog in a household, even with lots of exercise and attention, there's nothing better than another dog for them. Tikaani is 4yrs old and he still outlasts Miyu during play (who is 2yrs old now). Huskies also require crate training as they can be quite destructive when bored, especially as puppies. Well bred ones are very good with other dogs, and do have similar a similar play style as shibas do. But their size can risk them overwhelming the shiba, so they should be supervised just in case. Some people have found that their shiba doesn't get along with huskies, so you best to take baby steps when getting Kuma used to them.

Also, if Kuma isn't used to having dogs visiting the house, he may not like these guys coming over. If he shows a disdain towards doggy guests, make sure he is well acquainted with the huskies before inviting them over.
  • jelliesjellies
    @Saya
    OP said: "just an older dog because their senior calmness is something me and my fiancee need in our home right now."

so I was saying, well, a husky needs a lot of attention calm isn't the word I associate with them.

The owner of the howling husky next door isn't doing too good but for most other dogs, what they are doing would be fine: he gets a decent amount of exercise I'm talking 3 walks a day, one of them is a run. But he is clearly not coping with the hours left otherwise alone. He desperately wants to hang around with people, that's my impression at least from his yodelling. I think the dog sitter is thinking a thigh bone or three will keep him busy - but his priority seems to be company. Anyway it isn't my problem to solve.
  • SayaSaya
    This was posted om 2010 I thought you were replying to little bear.. I see now.
    Photobucket
  • jelliesjellies
    argh that gets me I wouldn't have replied if I saw the original topic was so old! sorry.
  • SayaSaya
    No problem.

I think little bear posted here to get info on husky breeder for daughter..

I wish I knew of one. :\

Photobucket
  • Sorry I haven't responded sooner. Kuma and I left work that evening and went straight to dog school where he passed his Novice I test. YEA! Then last night was Halloween so this is the first chance I have had.

@Saya I posted here after searching the threads. I wanted to find someone who had Shibas and Huskies or experience with getting them together. I read the forum all the time and there is so much great advice. If I posted in the wrong place, sorry for that. If there was a better place I would love to read it. Main concern is any help with socialization. The breeder comment was an afterthought. My daughter is doing extensive research on that. You are correct my daughter is the one getting the Huskies, two of them, one male and one female. She has already raised two (in Oklahoma) who are now deceased. She is planning on puppy classes for sure. She did classes with her first pair. She has already found a dog camp/boarding close to her work which she has visited and also talked with a Malamute owner who has been going there for 3 years. She will do her socialization in Missouri. Since I am in Oklahoma we are wanting to do everything we can to help Kuma and her two Huskies get along, if possible.

@Calia I saw you had posted back in 2010 and was hoping you might have some suggestions. My daughter knows Huskies very well having raised two and actually one lived with me for awhile and was the alpha to my Akita mix(both deceased) So I am aware of their personality too. Yes, she would never consider just getting one. When she still lived in Oklahoma and just had one left she would bring him to my house everyday before work so he could play with my Akita mix. My daughter is fortunate in that she has a very good job, with flexable hours and also can work from home several days a week. And as stated above she has already located a good dog camp. We knew the play style was similiar and the concern you mentioned is ours. We will be very careful as you said. We are going to get them together as much as possible while the puppies are small and hope that will help. Kuma and I are planning on going to visit as soon as she gets the puppies and as often as possible. She will then come here. Kuma has had several dogs at his house and it has been ok so far. I have two other daughters who both have dogs. One daughter is in the same office as I am and her Chihuahua goes to work with her and Kuma comes with me so they are together all the time. The Chihuahua was approximately 6 months old when we got Kuma and we were very concerned about them being together. It has worked out great. The Chihuahua is feisty and will grab Kuma's leg and sweep him and knock him down. Again, because of size we would never leave them unattended. Other daughter lives in OK City and brings her dog when she comes to visit and her dog doesn't want to play with Kuma, but Kuma will try to get him to play and has never become aggressive with him. Also some of the neighbors who we see walking their dogs while we are out walking will come up to our fence when we are outside and Kuma seems ok with that. Kuma does go to dog camp once a week, which has been wonderful for him. He does play with the big dogs and even in puppy class he only wanted to play with the bigger puppies. Kuma is very reserved around new people and places, so he does have to warm up to them.... We are both just concerned, size...distance...

@jellies, sorry, I guess I should have said something about this being an old post. I just didn't find anything newer. Also so sorry you are having to witness that poor Husky. That is so sad.

This is really long! If you have anymore suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all comments.
  • Hey! I'm not sure how many people still check this thread or not, but it's a good one!

My husband and I are wanting to bring a male husky puppy into our family. We recently moved into a house with a huge back yard and with a dog park about 10 minutes away.
  • SayaSaya
    I see no issue with you posting on this thread. People always say to use advance search in case there is a similar post to ask the question there.

I think it takes getting used to for some people.. Gotta look at post dates! And read the most current one as the older one the person might not post anymore or not much..

Anyways.

I hope you get some help I only met huskies at the dog park never owned one.

@Calia should be able to help.
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-12-07 09:11:43
  • Thanks @Saya!

A close friend of mine that I had awhile back had a 2 year old husky that was Maggie's first best friend. They got along awesomely and were a good pair together. Whenever we go out to dog parks and there is a husky there, Maggie will find them and not pay attention to any other dogs there. It's so cute.

I know there are alot of physical characteristics that are similar between Shiba Inus and Siberian Huskies, but as I'm doing more research, I'm seeing that many of their personality traits are the same too! No wonder Maggie gets along so well with all the other huskies!

And I'm sure that when she has her very own little (or should I say big?) brother, she'll be even happier. :)
  • CaliaCalia
    Huskies are great, their similarities to shibas and the fact that they generally are great with other dogs, has really made for great companionship for both my shiba and shikoku. They do have a lot more energy than a shiba though, so get ready for a lot of exercise.
  • Haha, yikes! We are admittedly not super active people, but between the huge backyard we now have, Maggie to chase, and a dog park around the block, I don't think we're off to a bad start, right? :P

And hey, if we're caught running around the neighborhood a couple times a week, it's not like it's bad for us! Lol.

We can definitely use the exercise, hahaha, so I think it will be a nice wake-up call. :)
  • CaliaCalia
    Just remember, without sufficient exercise, huskies can get quite destructive in their boredom. It's one of the main reasons that they are given up, as they are just too much energy for "normal" households. That and the fact that they mountains of shed fur all over the house, even with daily vacuuming I still find furry tumbleweeds.

This is a breed that sort of requires canine companionship, they generally do terrible as an only dog, and dog play does go a long way to tire them out.
  • RikkaRikka
    Unrelated, but I actually want a Samoyed as my second dog. =x
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • ZinjaZinja
    ^^ I agree. Someone I knew had two austraian shepards. They then got a Siberian Husky to "protect" the Aussies. I told her that was not a good idea and will not not happen.

What happened completely made me pissed... I got a call from them saying their husky was chewing up the furniture and carpet a year after I stopped talking to them. I told them from the beginning that their dog needed a ton of exercise, which I warned them they couldn't give. They ended up trying to sell him on CL... SMH.
  • CaliaCalia
    That's another thing, Huskies make poor guard dogs. If someone were to break into my house, I wouldn't be surprised if Tikaani greeted the person as if they were best friends (Tetsu, on the other hand, would probably leave some nice punctures). Huskies are bred to be friendly to people and dogs, whether friend or stranger, usually the ones that aren't have most likely either had very bad experiences or from bad lines (BYB/mill).
  • ZinjaZinja
    She also believed the husky was going to be a big dog. I had my Akita and she kept saying, "you see that, Blue? You're going to be as big as Ninja!" Blue was just shy of 55lbs.
  • CaliaCalia
    Yeah, a lot of people confuse them with Malamutes thinking that they will be just as big. Racing lines do tend to get a little bigger than show lines, but not by much.
  • ZinjaZinja
    Yeah, my manager thought huskies were bigger than malamutes... I called up petsmart to prove her wrong but they thought the same... This was before we all had smart phones :)
  • BootzBootz
    @Rikka, omg they are CUTE PUPPIES. Unfortunately I have a rule against dogs that are too big for me to handle :( My cousins golden retriever mix knocked me down on accidently without even trying.

Malamutes are cool dogs. I met an owner with a legitimate pure breed malamute ( i say legitimate because everybody now a days want to breed a "smaller/toy" version of every dog). Owner tells me they have the same personality as Shibas...just 5x the size.
  • RikkaRikka
    @Bootz As far as I can see, they're fairly medium sized, not to mention I'd want a female. My partner also doesn't like big dogs (I do) so we're limited. I think we both like the Samoyed, I just want to do more intensive research and ask more about people who own 2+ dogs. I've always ever had one dog at a time...
  • BootzBootz
    @Rikka, I've always owned two dogs at the same time. But since you are going for Samoyed + Shiba...Can't really say much about the size difference. Haha. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have though!
  • @Rikka, You should ask @deerpark about Shiba + Samoyed combos!
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • ZinjaZinja
    @Bootz like Alaskan Klee Kais? They're very skitzo.
  • I don't think malamutes are anything like Shibas, myself. Maybe more like a very mellow American Akita, but even then, not really. They don't have a lot of "edge" to them like most NKs have (well, I don't think Kai Ken have that edge, but Shibas/Akitas do, and I suspect so do the Hokkas and Kishu and probably the Shikoku too).

• Before we got Onyx this is the site ( http://shibashake.com/ ) that helped us decide/helped prepare us to train our first dog. We were down to a husky or a shiba, and guess which way we thankfully went. I am still thinking about getting a husky as a second dog, but there are a lot of warnings. They do need A LOT of exercise. Some are better than others, and I have seen some that needs as little as a mile or two a day, but most of them need 3-10 a day to be worn out. If you don't wear them out they are very destructive, as I have seen many times from husky forums.

They do excellently with shibas most of the time, obviously every dog is an individual so it isn't a guarantee, but as far as the two together it should be great.

The shedding is absolutely ridiculous, one of the worst breeds in the world for shedding, so be prepared to pay ~500 for a heavy duty pet vac.

Lastly, cats are almost 100 percent a no with huskys. They love cats, not to play, to eat. As many have said, huskys have a huge prey drive, and cats, unless introduced at a very young age, just look like a delicious snack.

All in all with your situation I would say probably not get a husky, although they are in my opinion the second most beautiful dog breed in the world (second to shibas), there are just too many things that can go wrong in your situation. Unless you specifically want a bigger dog, I have to ask why no just go ahead and get another shiba. They usually are perfect in duos (ask many people on here, a lot of people have two), and you already live the lifestyle for shibas.
  • RikkaRikka
    ;D

I'll be upfront and honest in that most Husky owners I know are incredibly irresponsible and are always questioning as to why their dog "never listens", "is destructive", and has a myriad of problems. I also think that most people want a Husky because they resemble most like a wolf without actually being a wolf.

In fact, one of my friends received a Siberian Husky puppy of her own around the same time I got Sagan, and our puppies are very different. She often complains that Malcolm (her Husky) is still not potty-trained, does things to "spite" her, and barely listens. I am always offering her advice and I don't think she really takes it to heart. Not to mention she lives in a tiny two-bedroom apartment, I don't think she really understands the importance of exercise for her dog. She also received the dog from a backyard breeder for $500 without a care in the world. I haven't really heard of a positive word about Malcolm from her -- it saddens me.
  • @acmccart8 - I'm not sure who your recommendation to not get a Husky is towards. Myself, or the original thread-starter? If myself, than what makes you think that is the correct decision for us? (Haha, that sentence is not crappy, just a question.) My husband is allergic to cats, so unfortunately for us, I have long since given up that dream of having another kitty. And we have learned the hard way that until Maggie is a bit more mature, my parents' cat & her will have to be separated as well. I personally wouldn't mind getting another Shiba way down the road from now, but for as long as I've known him, David has been in love with Huskies. He loves playing with Mags, but he really DOES want a bigger dog. We were actually originally planning on getting a Husky, but unforeseen financial circumstances ended up with us living in a one-bedroom apartment, and we absolutely couldn't bear to raise such an active dog in such small confinement. That's when we started looking around for other Spitz-type dogs and came across the Shiba Inu. :) I wouldn't trade Mags for anything in the world, she's our baby girl. My husband just yearns for a larger dog to romp around with. :P

@Zinja - That is awful to hear what became of the husky you knew. I can understand some reasons of why people rehome their dogs, but I will never understand how impersonal some people can be about it, like selling their animal on CL. That is really sad to me.

@Calia - I'm not worried about our husky not being a good guard dog. Maggie is enough guard dog for anybody. Hahaha. She may be 16 pounds, but she packs a hard punch and she's loud as hell.

I gave my husband a reality check last night on how much exercise and outside time we will need with our Husky, and he was a little surprised at first. My best friend's husky is a 2 yr old female who is SUPER mellow. She runs around in their yard outside for a little while each day, but that's about it as far as exercise goes. I think that he was remembering that, and not what is standard for the breed, you know? (Like how Shibas are typically aloof, but Maggie's a cuddle-butt in the evenings.) But anyways, we talked about it, and he is completely on board. We are definitely not the healthiest people by any means, and so we both agree that a dog that is a bit more active will be a good thing. We've got a plan to spend more time on normal walks with Maggie (in additin to her Shiba 500s in the backyard + 1 hour at the dog park every other day), so we are prepared for a more-active dog.
  • Coming from a person/family who is also inactive and has definitely also thought about getting a husky, here's what I would say: don't get a puppy. Get a husky from a rescue or a retired adult from a good breeder instead so that you know how active of a dog they actually are. I don't really think that the most active huskies (I've heard of some that have to be run, not walked, but run at least a mile or two a day plus very long walks) are for anyone but someone who is naturally really active because I think you can only change so much for the animal. Some, yes, but I know that for myself the idea that I could handle anything more than moderate husky activity is a pipe dream---even if I could do it, I would be miserable because there is a reason that I'm not active just for myself. You can get unlucky with puppies, even if you get one from a great breeder, and you could get a dog that needs too much activity for you but an adult, on the other hand, well, you know how active they're going to be. Besides, there are lots of huskies in rescue. From what I've heard, people get them because they're cute, then they hit their adolescent stage and people, who probably didn't do their research, can't take it, so they tend to dump them right as they're getting out of that stage. This means that there are a lot of really great huskies in rescue.
  • CaliaCalia
    I think what really makes a difference is having another dog that will get along with the husky, you don't hear as many horror stories when they are not the only dog in the household.

Just remember, if you're not adopting, a lot of the guidelines for finding a good breeder are similar to finding one for a shiba. W have several threads in the forum explaining what to look for in determining is a breeder is good or not, so be sure to check them out when going for a husky breeder hunt. There are in essence two "types" of Siberian huskies, racing and show. You would do best to look for show breeders, as the dogs they produce aren't as intense as the racing ones.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)