For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
OC Vet recommendations?
  • Does anyone have any vet recommendations for orange county? we took Hiro in for his first appointment, just for general health and because he threw up last night (we think because of a car ride) and has been having some mushy poos. :(
    we got the akc free vet visit, so we went to County Line Animal Hospital in La Habra.... not sure if we will continue to go back because IT IS SO EXPENSIVE!!!!

Or.... are all vets expensive? Has anyone heard of Golden State Humane Society? Good or bad? The Yelp reviews are good, and it is MUCH MUCH MUCH more affordable for us........... any advice?
  • jujeejujee
    I took Mika there to get spayed at Golden State Humane Society, it is MUCH cheaper. But I never took her there for vet visits. If you are looking for a holistic vet I would recommend North Tustin Veterinary Clinic. Ask for Dr. Woods or Dr. Leong.
    http://www.northtustinveterinaryclinic.com/

Where abouts in OC are you? If you decide to head down towards the Tustin area you should check out Whole Pets as well. They are one of the best pet shops around! One of the owners (Pat) is obsessed with Mika and always gives her Stella & Chewys pattys :) They also give you a free bag of different foods to try out, they only carry Grain Free foods and premade raw. :]
  • jujeejujee
    Oh, also when you get the chance you should join the LA/OC shiba meetup group. There is a forum there as well and there are recommendations for vets from other LA/OC shiba owners.

http://www.meetup.com/LA-OCShibaInu/
  • okironokiron
    Golden State is alright. Sure it's affordable spay/neuter and shots but I prefer to pay more for better customer service. (Not to say they give bad customer service but they're so busy they don't really have any extra time to give people 1 on 1 time)

The VCAs in Cypress and Los Alamitos have always been great to me. Huntington Beach Veterinary Hospital is great but I've only seen 1 doctor for my small animals there.

There are 2 practices, 1 in Costa Mesa and the other in Huntington Beach that I would tell you to stay away from.
  • we are in fullerton, so tustin is doable for us :) thanks for the recs! and will def join the meetup group!

Jujee, for the vet visits, do you mean non-vaccination visits?
  • jujeejujee
    Yes, non-vac visits.
  • pamelapamela
    I'm so glad I found this discussion post!! I'm moving to LA in mid January. I just joined the meet up too! Thanks everyone!!
    Pam, Garrett, Termi & Shelby
  • chibichibi
    Golden State Humane Society is awesome! There may or may not be a long wait depending on when you go, but that's where I take my dogs for their shots. Very cheap and nice people.

I'm actually really interested in this thread since the vet that we used before (at the TriCity Pet Hospital in Fullerton) didn't know too much about shibas. She told me that I didn't have to measure how much food to feed Chibi because she's never seen a fat shiba before. Therefore, she thinks that shibas self-regulate their food. Chibi definitely proved her wrong lol.
    Instagram: @kathyphi
    FB: www.facebook.com/the.chibi.inu
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Resurrecting an old thread here!

Just called Golden State Humane Society. I asked if their neuter price $39.50 included blood work. She told me that only certain breeds and ages require blood work and that Leo would not. Does that sound right to you guys? I know many folks have gotten the spay/neuter done here successfully but I always though blood work was mandatory.

That aside, they are all booked through April so I would have to wait until May. He'll be closer to 9 months then.
    Leo "JD" Hu | Cream Shiba Inu | DOB: 8/19/2011 | Southern California - LA/OC

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • AraksAraks
    Hmm, personally I won't put a dog through surgery without blood work. Humane societies do that as a way to cut costs, and I know a lot of dogs that have gone through them and have been fine without blood work, but it's just a safety measure that should be taken, incase there is something wrong. And personally I'm a fan of later neuters, so 9 months sounds good.
  • Stef777Stef777
    I have taken almost all of my pets to get spayed/neutered there and they never did blood work. When I worked at the vet a few years back in chino they only did blood work on animals that were older or had previous health issues. I am no expert but I believe that is the norm....
  • Stef777Stef777
    ok nm just read @araks and it looks like it isn't the norm... haha nm
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    I suppose I could go to a vet to get just the blood work done separately huh?

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Follow-up question for those who know...

Why does a normal vet (i.e. North Tustin Vet) charge up to $280 but Humane Society can charge as little as $40? Even for-profit, that seems like a rather large mark-up!

• Stef777Stef777
    It isn't very expensive to spay/neuter animals if you really think about it. The humane soc. wants all animals to be spayed/neuterd so they will charge the least amount so that people can afford it and will do it. Most vets include the bloodwork and overnight stays in the price of the procedure so it's more expensive as well as they are doing this as a job.... they want to make money and they know they can charge that price and some people will pay because they don't know otherwise.

Random example but it's like going to get your oil changed. The procedure is the same no matter if you go to the dealership or to jiffy lube but the price will vary because of the extras you get at the dealership
    Post edited by Stef777 at 2012-03-22 17:03:00
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    hey, I'm interested in changing vet's too.
    I've looked on Yelp and there've been a lot of complaints about all the vets around me. The place I've been going had the highest rating. I've checked out websites and I've also called vets near me but haven't really been impressed. I feel like there's something better out there.

Anyhow, I've been going to OC Vet hospital in Santa Ana, http://www.orangevethospital.com/, & have almost always been seen by Dr. Lee. She is pretty good, she seems to show a love of animals, and has a fair amount of patience. I usually go in with a list of questions, and she's always been happy enough to go over them with me. Staff is nice too, place is clean.

Only complaint I have with them is that they are expensive, and try to run up the cost of the visit with tests/shots/etc. Every time I go in for something small the invoice is for $300-$500... I usually have them knock it down to the 100-200 range before they start doing anything, but I don't want to have to question wether I'm removing a frivolous test or if it's really something that needs to be done.

(for example; they wanted to put Bruce on some antibiotics, so they prescribed pills, but in addition they were going to administer shot boosters of the same antibiotic at almost $45/a shot (and he needed 3 of them). When I questioned it they said that it would expedite the process of getting the antibiotic into Bruce's system, and if I wanted he could just do the pills.) Also, they try to run a fecal test on him every time I bring him in.

@LeoJDHu,

That doesn't sound right. Between Bruce (my Shiba pup) and my parents senior Lab, I've been making a lot of vet visits.

On my last visit I forced my vet to have about a half hour chat with me about the pro/con's of neutering, and when to neuter.

In our discussion she said that the blood work was a safety precaution to ensure that the anesthesia wouldn't have any negative reactions. Without it there's a potential of organ failure which can be fatal.

I've also called other vet hospitals, some said blood work is mandatory, and the rest said that it's highly recommended.

I'd be leery of having anything done at a place that had this much disregard for a simple safety precaution.

It's not that much more for the blood work, I'd pay to have it done and try and save on something else. The last thing you'd want is to find out your dog died from kidney failure during a simple procedure.
    Bruce Billis | Red-Sesame Shiba Inu | DOB: 11/12/2011 | Southern California - Irvine
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    I did a quick search and found this on another forum.

"
    As some dogs need fluid therapy during anesthesia, have high clotting time (reduced clotting factors in blood), or other concerns, bloodwork can inform surgeons of these risks prior to surgery. If he does have a bleeding/clotting disorder, special methods and techniques must be utilized when incising the skin, any blood vessels, and ligating said blood vessels (and massive ones lead to the testicles).

If the dog is over 7 years old they may want to administer IV fluids no matter what the bloodwork reveals, as older dogs often need hydration during anesthesia and recovery.

Honestly he may not be ok. Your vet has NO WAY of knowing if your dog has reduced kidney function or abnormal clotting ability without testing for these, especially a surgeon doing many neuters and spays daily, such as in a low cost clinic. They have never examined your dog before. They have no prior knowledge of him. If he has von Willebrand's or other cause of increased clotting time, surgery is very risky and is usually performed by a board certified surgeon accustomed to handling such cases.

Low cost clinics also use inexpensive sedatives that depress breathing and heart rate and may cause dysphoria when waking, no pain control, less patient monitoring, less expensive suture material, and have difficulty neutering a dog with a retained testicle (cryptorchid), meaning both testicles are not descended into the scrotum. An abdominal, more invasive surgery is needed, and even with a larger abdominal incision, locating the testicle is difficult as it's usually smaller and less developed and may be deeper in the abdominal cavity. This are the risks associated with a lower cost surgery. This doesn't mean you shouldn't utilize low cost spay and neuter clinics (or mobile units) but just be aware that you need to closely observe your boy for incision reaction, suture reaction, anesthesia side effects, and get him some pain medication at your regular DVM if they do not have oral NSAIDs at the low cost clinic for you to purchase for an additional price.

Bloodwork and exams are more useful and beneficial than boostering vaccines in adult and senior dogs! They are invaluable sources of information to help diagnose veterinary abnormalities. Do not underestimate their contribution to your pets' health.
    "
    Bruce Billis | Red-Sesame Shiba Inu | DOB: 11/12/2011 | Southern California - Irvine
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Thanks for all the information Bruce. Yeah, I was a bit concerned about not doing a blood work before the neuter. I'll explore some additional options and see what I'm comfortable with.

My insurance covers $50 blood screening and $100 for neutering so that helps a bit!

• BootzBootz
    @Leo, $100 for neutering? wow, that don't leave much for you to cover! What insurance you have and whats your monthly premium?!?!? Bf has been looking to get insurance for the kids (Bootz/Jackie).
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    I have VPI Pet Insurance through my work. I got the major medical plan plus coreguard premium. It comes out to like $45 a month I believe - its deducted from my paycheck :)

• BruceBillisBruceBillis
    @LeoJDHu,

That sounds like a pretty good deal on insurance. When I was checking out VPI for Bruce I think I was quoted something in the $60+/month range. (including the wellness plan etc.) Do you get a discount or something going through your work?

@Bootz,

I ended up choosing PetPlan for Bruce because VIP refused to insure my parents lab (10 yrs old) with anything other than their "senior plan" which is pretty much useless.

Problem with petplan is they don't cover any routine procedures, neutering being one of them... so that sucks, but it has less limitations on everything else than the VPI plan.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    I believe I do get a corporate discount through my work.

• phipsphips
    anyone know of any good vets in the Westwood/UCLA or USC/Downtown LA or Culver City area?

thanks
    Sunny: 6/Male/Red Sesame
  • tysaaantysaaan
    Does anybody know of any good vet clinics/have recommendations in the LA area? I've been looking for good places to bring my pup but all of the places I've seen so far were typically 1. overly expensive 2. had bad reviews.
    Post edited by tysaaan at 2015-02-20 16:09:06
  • knnwangknnwang
    I know. Too bad you can't look up if they take any money from corporations like people doctors on https://openpaymentsdata.cms.gov/

Or if they been convicted of fraud or abuse (ppl in medical field again.) http://exclusions.oig.hhs.gov/

Edit: 2 add 2nd link (serious db.)
    Post edited by knnwang at 2015-02-22 13:34:31
  • I recommend:
    http://www.hamiltonanimalhospital.com/

Dr. Alkofer is very familiar with shibas. He's also not very pushy with sales, and informs you of all your options and is really thorough. :D

Yearly check up is ~$65
    Puppy check up while you're getting vaccinations is ~$23 and your bill will be ~$45-$70 depending.
  • WangeWange
    Thanks @RurounilnuGirl for the reference. Super useful!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)