For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Make your own bed
  • So when looking for a dog bed for Kiyomi, we looked at all the top pet stores, Petsmart, Petco etc. and the prices for them were ridiculous! We even looked at Walmart and kmart and stores like that and they were still pretty expensive. So out alternative was to make our own. We went to JoAnne's (craft store) and found some fleece and other fabrics in the remnants bin (the bin where they put the left over fabric after a roll has been cut) and we spent $6 on 3 yards of fabric. Another $2 for a zipper and off I went. I have a sewing machine and I just looked at dog beds online for an idea of how to put one together. This is what I ended up with

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs974.snc4/76785_610656208148_24701277_34925890_6113608_n.jpg

I stuffed it with some polyester batting that I had around the house from re-stuffing my comforter. It's 36" long and 24" wide and fits perfectly in her crate!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs974.snc4/76785_610656198168_24701277_34925888_5945267_n.jpg

So for $8 I made my own dog bed that would have cost upwards of $30 in the store. Just an idea for you all. :)
  • Nice job!!! Thats a great idea for people who are handy and have access to a sewing machine! I didnt ever make one but when my sons boxer unzipped the bed and pulled all the stuffing out I restuffed it with old tshirts and rags so we didnt have all the mess the next time. (and someone else sewed the end shut)
  • JennyBJennyB
    That's absolutely awesome! With the bunting and the coordinating fabrics, it looks really professional. And it has a zipper! A lot of the $30 ones, strangely, don't have a zipper and just instruct you to wash the whole thing in an industrial washing machine (because we all have access to those).

Well done!
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I'm planning on doing a "boxed" version that has the stiff cording around to give it a sturdier shape. Great job!
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • What a great idea! Now if I could just learn to sew.
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    That is a great idea! I also think you could use an old bed pillow for stuffing. Now I might make another bed for our shibas using some of my leftover fabric. You could probably use a pillow case and sew it shut and save some time by not sewing the case.
  • SayaSaya
    Great bed! My mom is handy with a sewing machine she could do this too. =)

Saya just gets fleece blankets as beds she sometimes gets a naughty streak and my guess she'd tear the stuffing up if she got bored.

Maybe once she gets more mature I'll make her one though the kuranda beds are nice might do the kuranda and make a bed for on top of it.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
    Post edited by Saya at 2010-12-06 18:56:06
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Jazz is of the opinion that there should be a bed in every room that she might decide to grace with her presence...mainly because her royal butt shouldn't touch the floor...
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • I made one for my girl Shiba too, but I didn't put in a zipper--my sewing skills aren't up to that yet. I figured, though, that a dog bed was a good first sewing project (sans zipper) and I just used some velvet I bought at a thrift shop. It is Bel's favorite bed (possibly because it is in the closet, where she likes to sleep).
  • I love it. The fabric is adorable. I envy your craftiness and totally agree that this is the way to go.

We paid about $60 for Bowdu's bed, and while the covering is nice, the inside is stuffed with cheap foam that tears and gets a little lumpier every time we unzip the thing and wash it. So not worth the money when you can make your own.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • Kiyomi really likes this bed, or at least she seems to like it. The first day she was on it she tried to chew the fleece sides. I'm not allowing her to have stuffed animals because I don't want her to think it's okay to chew plush items (I can only imagine if she though it was okay to chew the micro suede couch). Now that it's in her crate, she doesn't chew it. Guess she knows it's meant to be slept on. I made a second bed/floor pillow for her today. It is corduroy on one side and sherpa on the other. I wanted to make a stuffing casing to go inside that would be generally waterproof so I bought some 4gauge vinyl and made a sort of pillowcase and stuffed it. WELL Kiyomi not only took straight to trying to destroy the sherpa side, I think the sound of the crinkly vinyl inside just instigated her to continue attacking the pillow. lol so the second bed is being removed until a time when she is mature enough to know not to attack it.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs605.ash2/155710_612141002608_24701277_34965121_2147859_n.jpg
    Post edited by nikkit585 at 2010-12-08 15:03:37
  • this is so adorable! I wish i could sew too!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)