For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How big is your Shiba?
  • KiichigoKiichigo
    @Lilikoi
    How old is Ozzy? I'm assuming Ozzy is a male is that right? ahha
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    @Kiichigo - he's a year and a half. His breeder did predict he'd be on the small side of standard ha. He's quite narrow and slim.
  • ZenkiZenki
    @Lilikoi awww Ozzy... don't worry buddy! come fall you will balloon with all that winter fur. then you'll show momma who's the shrimp ;))

Zenki is 284 days old or ~9.5 months... and he's a chunky 25lb shiba plus/minus 0.5 lbs... but pretty much hovers around 25lb mark. =)) he has been wicketted 16.25inches at the withers (just within standards).

here's his picture from 2 weeks ago... does he look like he's overweight?
    sunset stack
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• sunyatasunyata
    @Zenki - That is not the best photo to judge, but it does appear that he could stand to lose a pound or two (note that there is no tummy tuck).

Maybe chat with your vet for a good idea of where he should be weight wise and what the best course of action for shedding those extra pounds may be. (Kale and broccoli stalks are some of my dogs' favourite snacks, so maybe add those into meal times to help him feel full while reducing his normal food intake.)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    @zenki - I don't think he looks OVERweight. Sometimes I wonder if Ozzy seems underweight. It's hard to tell when they're so fluffy lol. I also think if Zenki had a big weight problem he wouldn't be doin so stellar in his show career! But he seems like he's doing great, and he seems healthy. He looks strong and fluffy, not pudgy lol. But if you think he could benefit from losing a pound, great! I don't think his current weight has any effect on his health. But I'm sure he would be fine as a pound lighter too.

Having kind of a hard time figuring out how to embed a photo from google photos. I've done it before on my computer lol, but not on phone. So I'm just gonna post this link of Ozzy and his rather slim looking self that makes me wonder if he should gain some weight. Now that he's out of coat he's looking sooo thin to me. But he is very active and naturally narrow in shape.

https://goo.gl/photos/YNe4sJh9tAuVBvKy7

I'll add a couple more. Maybe that one just looks exaggerated.
    https://goo.gl/photos/hL7w6xRQxYXM86867
    https://goo.gl/photos/diYvycChCjZsMrSn6 (apart from this pic, all the other pics were taken within the same couple of days. This pic was like a couple weeks ago).

Like in this one to me he looks weirdly thick and small headed.
    https://goo.gl/photos/k7ZfFKTSa8FA3Zty8
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-06-13 23:54:01
  • plasmodiumplasmodium
    Ours is 12 years old and has always hovered around 19lbs, except when she's sick, where it fluctuates a bit lower.
  • rantosdadrantosdad
    3.6 lbs @ 12 weeks
  • gakugaku
    @rantosdad
    I saw your other post as well, but don't worry too much about weight. My shiba was 3 pounds at 8 weeks and the vet insisted that he was a mame shiba for a while. Now, he's a solid 22-23 pounds at 2 years old. As long as Ranto is healthy

There is a growth chart somewhere in this thread. I highly recommend looking through it. I remember feelings relieved by seeing the wide variance of age and weight.
  • rantosdadrantosdad
    Thank you, Gaku. He seems to grow every day and get a step faster. He climbed out of his pen like a squirrel today... I don't think he's mame. Koreans love small dogs so a mame would have cost double.
  • koyukikoyuki
    Yes I would say that is small- but seeing his background being a puppy mill puppy this would be why he is non-standard
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Coal is hitting 11 months next week, so I thought I would update. He now weighs in at 11.5kg (25.35 pounds). Doc says he is in good shape, so we are trying to maintain him at around this weight.

• FluffsFluffs
    Katsu is 17lbs at 11 months now :)
    I get comments from people who think she's too skinny... sometimes I think she's too chunky and needs more muscle. ;)

(Forgot to add: measured in at 15.0 inches at withers, using the wall method lol)
    Post edited by Fluffs at 2017-08-02 14:32:28
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Ugh...wanted to post pics but wouldn't let me. Trying again now that I see someone could hehe

Post edited by Anjyil at 2017-08-02 14:33:07
  • GokuGoku
    Goku is currently 4 1/2 Months old and weights exactly 14 pounds as of today.
  • Nugget is 17 weeks and 15.7 pounds.. vet said they usually double their weight at 4 months and to expect her to be 25-30+ pounds but I think that’s pretty extreme for a female being that the standard size is 17 pounds
  • ZenkiZenki
    Zenki was last wicketed at 16 3/8 inches a couple of months ago but now weighs around 27lbs. He's slightly non standard (14.5"-16.5" for males). As for the weight, the vet said he scores a 3.5 in a 5point BCS scale. This means, he's close to the ideal body for his size. Here's a picture of Zenki taken on his birthday (Sep 2nd):
    IMG_7983

@ Fluffs take a look at this chart and do an exam yourself... and then ask your vet on your next visit how he would score your dog based on this chart...
    http://www.communitypetclinic.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/BCS-chart.jpg
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• LilikoiLilikoi
    At the vet yesterday, Ozzy weighed in at 22.6 lbs. Just half a year ago he was 19 lbs hahah. But we have been going on a lot of runs and more challenging hikes, so maybe he's got more muscle... Or fat. :P or it's all fluff.

• AnjyilAnjyil
    hahha his shape looks good, so probably muscle ^_^-
  • FluffsFluffs
    @zenki Somehow I didn't get a notification of your comment until now. Katsu is a 3 :) on a scale of 1-9, she is a 4 (which can be considered ideal or underweight dependent on breed but for Shibas build vs. Say, a lab, it's ideal.)

The chart you shared doesn't show a lot of detail and can be confusing for owners vs. Vets to use. https://www.purina.co.uk/dogs/health-and-nutrition/exercise-and-weight-management/dog-body-condition-tool is a little more distinct for a 5 point scale.
    (edit: I reread this a few times and don't wanna seem like I'm being rude or anything, I just wanted to share a different chart that my vet uses!)
    Post edited by Fluffs at 2017-12-11 18:13:46
  • So my puppy is now 19ish (technically two days before 19) weeks old and weights 10.7 lbs. that’s pretty close to what she weighed three weeks before. She’s healthy but the vet thinks that she’s only going to grow 2-3 more lbs. I feel like this question has been answered many times before, but I’m at work and can’t check, but does that seem right for a shiba? Do they tend to hit a growth spurt later?
  • Ichabod weighed a little less than that between 4 and 5 months and is around 25 lbs now. But he was steadily growing.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I feel like Ozzy was super light until just recently. :)) he didn’t break 20 lbs until just a few months ago. His height and size seemed to slow down at around 8 or 9 months. I’m not sure if he’s gotten any taller since then. But he’s definitely continued to fill out. I haven’t weighed him in like over a month though. I’ll update later when I get the chance to weigh him.
  • Pepper is 2 years old and is sitting at 21 lbs. 15 inchs tall. She was the baby in her litter and I was told to expect that she stay small-ish.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)