For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How big is your Shiba?
  • imspiritbimspiritb
    If my pup has been bred from a pure line of strict show dog standards, would it explain why hes so small compared to all ive seen here?

At 5 months he weighted at a little over 7lbs. His breeder even said that he was a little pudgy.
  • Winston seems to be nearing the end of his growth range. He is 7 months now, and a nice standard 20 lbs! We haven't measured his height in a while, but it doesn't look like its changed much. He was 15 in at the shoulder a few months ago.

We think he may put on a couple more pounds before he is full grown (stock up a bit) but it looks like our boy is pretty standard!

Still waiting for that first coat blow though!

photo 11150850_10206443941208467_7726251871975950217_n_zpstlshmor8.jpg

photo 11160680_10206404624505574_1751107472637441571_n_zpshfin8kyz.jpg

photo 10653661_10206334836320913_451128059762261884_n_zpsmr1v4e1h.jpg
  • sunyatasunyata
    @imspiritb - You should probably check your scale for accuracy. Your dog definitely weighs more than 7 pounds based on the photo you posted in your intro thread.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • hayleyhayley
    My pup is 6 months and weighs 21.3 lbs. Vet thinks he will weigh over 30 when full grown because he's so tall. Good think my apartment doesn't have a weight limit.
  • Kiba was weighing about 17lbs at almost 6 months. Now he is at 20 or more. I haven't weighed him in sometime. There is a bigger Shiba that weighs about 25lbs that Kiba plays with at the park so I wouldnt mind at all if Kiba got that big.
  • imspiritbimspiritb
    sunyata said:

@imspiritb - You should probably check your scale for accuracy. Your dog definitely weighs more than 7 pounds based on the photo you posted in your intro thread.

It was the vet's scale.... on second thought, they might be using kg instead of lbs.
    Post edited by imspiritb at 2015-04-30 10:56:06
  • Shiloh is 16.5 lbs at 11.5 months old. A tiny bundle with a huge personality! :x
  • sunyatasunyata
    @imspiritb - 7 kg sounds way more likely than 7 pounds. I would take him back and have them weigh him again.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • imspiritbimspiritb
    just went to the vet, ya, hes now 16.1lbs. About 13.5 at the withers and 19" chest size.
  • NovaNova
    Here's a picture of my big boy... Kinji. He's currently shedding his puppy coat and turned 5 months old on April 28th. His new tail fur growth is black so he's turning a little sesame coloredin that area, the fur around his ears is a little darker too.

He is 26lbs right now. He doesn't SEEM that huge and so many of his bloodline are Champions, the other Shibas in his bloodline were definitely smaller. Not sure why he is so large.

I wonder-- anyone have any ideas much more he will grow?

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s410/bwsblog/kinjiwindow_zpsifwekxkb.jpg

Tried to do the image link but it's not working for some reason so there's the URL...
    I like that he is large.
    Post edited by Nova at 2015-05-03 14:34:09
  • zeketazzeketaz
    My girl Nala is 4yrs old and so itty bitty compared to all your dogs. Not sure how tall she is, but she weighs 10lbs. She's in a cat bed in the pic for size comparison.

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20/dallasblake1/E7A6C10E-A841-47F9-836B-6CCA184AAD27_zpsh95gkrgm.jpg
    Post edited by zeketaz at 2015-05-03 18:30:46
  • FrillfaceFrillface
    Denso (male) is 10 pounds and 4 months old
  • NovaNova
    @zeketaz is she full Shiba? Can't tell by the photo as it is sort of dark but her fur looks a little on the browner, tawny side than auburn/red.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    That is pretty small and skinny for a Shiba, did you ever see the Dam & Sire? My breeder knew that Kira was going to be around 18lbs because of the size of her parents.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • zeketazzeketaz
    I have the hardest time keeping weight on her with kibble so I have her in raw again and she's beefing up. She's very petite and small boned. I never did see the parents. All her labs come back clean from the vet at least. She's just itty bitty. She may be mixed not sure and she may have been a puppy mill puppy (didn't know any better when we got her, do more research now). She was very well socialized and did superb right off the bat when on a leash though.

Didn't realize how small she really was until I saw the pics you guys posted holding your shibas. Slight shiba shock there lol. They are a lot bigger than I thought as I have never seen another shiba in person ever before.
    Post edited by zeketaz at 2015-05-04 22:59:08
  • NovaNova
    I would tend to wonder if she may have some Jack Russell, Rat terrier or chihuahua in her bloodline somewhere. I'd heard of puppy mills throwing in a small breed somewhere down the line to make the Shibas pocket sized, many people love the teeny tiny Shibas. I prefer the big ones so I feel safe. If my dog is going to be a watchdog personality to protect from intruders, might as well have some bite to go with the bark. Plus, I enjoy the big hugs.
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    Tali just hit 6 months and is 17.2 lbs. Looks like she's going to be on the meatier side compared to others. I mean, look at that neck fat...

• kiba888kiba888
    2 yrs. 43 lbs.

_0012712
  • Otto was weighed today. He is 6 months old and weighs 14 lbs.
  • @kiba888 you have an oversized B&T just like mine!

Banjo is 38 lbs. No one believes he is a shiba until I say "Banjo look at me" and he does nothing. Then they know.

• kiba888kiba888
    @banjothebetadog haha. Sounds about right. Most people are astounded at how big he is compared to the average sizes.
  • motmot
    Our B&T shiba inu, Chip is about 38lb(≒17kg).He's a bit chubby.

width="600" height="400"photo IMG_6677_zpsptjqrupf.jpg 
    Post edited by mot at 2015-05-19 09:34:03
  • Kobe was weighed a few days ago and is 16 pounds at 6 months
    Post edited by ILoveMyShiba at 2015-05-26 23:53:48
  • Rose weighed in today: 5 months and 13.6 lbs.
    Judging by everyone's experiences that puts her on track to be somewhere a bit over 20 lbs ideal full weight?

Incidentally she got front leg xrays and those growth plates are WIDE open :D
  • koyukikoyuki
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
    Post edited by koyuki at 2015-06-01 05:05:51
  • MagMag
    Miki
    will be a year in a few weeks and she is 24.9 lbs. she is bigger than a lot of the shibas in my area
  • NatsuNatsu
    Natsu is 8 mths old and 29lb.. Cant measure height accurately as he refuses to keep still but he is certainly tall enough to steal things off the kitchen counters! He is quite a bit taller than the other shibas i see around here - very leggy. Hope he doesnt get too much taller or nothing will be safe... He seems fine going by ribs/waist gauge and will probably fill out a bit more I think.
  • FrillfaceFrillface
    Denso is now 5 months, and almost 11 lbs
  • ShibaLuv19ShibaLuv19
    Rasu just turned 7 months last week and weighs in around 22 lbs.
  • melissafonmelissafon
    Figured I'd update the boys weight since it's been a year since I last posted.
    Cheeto is 2 years and 3 motnsh and 37lbs and Onyx is 2 years and 3 months and is 19lbs.
  • FrillfaceFrillface
    Denso recently turned 6 months, and is about 13 lbs!

photo 0629151317a_zpsofpop2vb.jpg
  • Hrm~ Momo was:
    2 weeks: 1.630
    4 weeks: 3.3 lbs
    6 weeks: ?
    9 weeks: 7
    10 weeks: 8.19
    13 weeks: 9.6
    14 weeks: 10.35
    16.5 weeks: ~11.6
    20 weeks: 14.2
    13 months: 21.4
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Kira is now two years old and weighs a little over 22lbs. The breeder estimated around 18lbs so that's not bad. She's very solid and muscular, not overweight. I'm very happy with the size she ended up being.

I'm still so shocked at how many people are surprised that she is so small and they have seen others so much bigger than her. I just tell them that she's standard for the breed.
    imageimage

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Just had Kira measured, she is 14.5" at the withers. Standard is 13.5" - 15.5" and the midrange of the two is desirable.
    imageimage

• @kira_kira - wow, Vi is half an inch taller than Kira but only weighs 17 lbs. She's about 6 now and never quite filled out the way the breeder thought that she would. She looks healthy and fit, but we've never managed to get her past 18 lbs (and that requires like a jar of peanut butter, a dozen eggs, and like a pound of cheese a week in addition to her regular diet to make that happen and maintain it).
  • zandramezandrame
    Hmm, actually @Kira_Kira, that does sound high. Since she's from show lines (how much do her parents and brother weigh?), and right at the ideal height, she should weigh closer to 17 lbs. For a young dog, 25-30% over norm is a bit concerning.

As for Kouda, he's 16 inches, and for the past year has ranged between 22 and 23 lbs.
  • Emmet is around 10 inches at the withers and weighs about 6 pounds, maybe more. He's only ten weeks old.
  • Otto was weighed again recently and at 8 months he weighs 15 pounds, which means he only put on a pound in two months. I can't measure him, he won't let me :)
  • SaabiSaabi
    What the hell is going on here? Sweet little Saabi is 12 weeks and 11.8 lbs. Her mom is 20lbs, daddy is 30ish...I waited and waited to get a female as we wanted a smaller dog...um.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @Saabi - I found an old thread where I posted that I was curious about Kira's weight when she was younger: "Kira is 12lbs, she is 4.5 months old."

Her mom was 22lbs and she is now about 22.5lbs. (she's a bit chunky and could honestly stand to lose a couple pounds)

30lbs is kind of on the high end for a male though, that could be why she might end up larger.
    imageimage

• SaabiSaabi
    Thanks Kira, I probably shouldn't be too surprised, she was a giant when she was born compared to her litter mates. Based on the spreadsheet numbers her size is pretty eye-popping. If she keeps it up I might have to switch over to the Akita boards. :D
  • Momo is about 9-10" at the withers (impossibru to measure alone) and about 8 lbs. He is now 12 weeks old and is an incredibly picky eater. Pretty normal??
  • hypeunothypeunot
    Tomo weighed 16.7kg (37lbs) at the vet on 14 Aug.
    We thought he is the biggest Shiba in Singapore till we met Inu.
    Inu is around his height and weight and they look identical.
    There are pics of Tomo with Inu in Tomo's facebook page "Tomo's Diary".
  • FrillfaceFrillface
    Denso at almost 8 months, is about 15" at withers and about 20lbs!
  • Tweener is huge compared to your Shibas :P He is 6 months old and weighs 23 lbs at his last check up a few weeks ago
  • My Suki girl was a little over 7lbs at 13 weeks. I measured her at 11in today. She's about 16 weeks. We're really hoping she gets close to 20lbs when she's full grown. Based on what I see, it's definitely a possibility. I don't quite remember what her parents were, maybe 18 and 16 lbs or so. I love the spreadsheet and added her on there. I don't know how to switch it from the male to female, which I noticed there were two separate ones for that. So Suki is under the males for now...
  • OrangeOrange
    Marcey is 13.5 weeks and 7.3 pounds. :)
  • Lately we have been getting a ton of weird looks by people when they learn how old our little guy is! Our Shiba Puppy (Milo) just turned 7 months and he's already 26 lbs. He's very lean, tons of energy and perfectly healthy, but 26 lbs this young just seems HUGE. When we run into other fully grown Shiba's Milo appears much larger than them as well.

Does anyone have any speculation on how much bigger he will get?
    Post edited by MilosMommy at 2015-12-30 13:47:01
  • sunyatasunyata
    @MilosMommy - Assuming your pup came from a reputable breeder, I would contact the breeder as s/he will be the best one to tell you about her dogs' genetics and how big they normally get.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)