For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How big is your Shiba?
  • I am proud to announce that Kira is a wonderful standard size of 19.5 lbs at a year and 3 months!

The breeder estimated her to be 18 but I will attribute the extra weight to hiking regularly, she is very muscular and beefy! :)
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Banjo is 36.5 lbs and in good shape. It's mainly muscle... he just started a regular urban mushing regimen =)
  • That's awesome Kira_Kira!

Nymeria is 13.4 lbs at 17 weeks. She's been hovering in the 13.2-13.6 lbs range for a week and a half or so. Waiting on the next growth spurt!
  • Dexter is about 21 weeks, just about 20 pounds.
  • Casper is 25 pounds and 7 months old. I wonder how chubby he'll get...
  • BootzBootz
    @Casper101 7 months and 25 pounds!!?!? Gonna be a big one
  • Banjo is 1 year 3 months and 37 lbs
  • Mei is 2 years old and is 12.4 kg about 27 pounds I think
    She is a bit overweight the vet said she should be at 10kg no more than 11kg :P
  • Update on nymeria, she's 19.2 lbs at 6 months!
  • kiba888kiba888
    Kiba. 2 yrs now. 41lb

He doesn't lose anymore weight even after major food reductions. I guess he likes being big.
  • BootzBootz
    kiba888 said:

Kiba. 2 yrs now. 41lb

He doesn't lose anymore weight even after major food reductions. I guess he likes being big.

Have you increased his walks/exercise after reducing the amount of food?

Also you might want to look into getting a blood panel just in case there is any underlying conditions.

Bootz use to be on the heavy side, I reduced her food and upped her exercise, no change. Did full blood panel and turns out she was hypothyroid.
  • kiba888kiba888
    @bootz -- I take back my what I stated, I just weighed him again to confirm. He's at 39 lbs now ;)
  • Zuki is just over 2 years old and weighs in at 23.5 pounds.
  • BootzBootz
    @kiba888

Did you do the rib test? He was chunky last time I saw him!
  • kiba888kiba888
    @bootz it felt fine to me...but I might just not know what I'm doing lol
  • Tomo weighed 33lbs in Dec '14
    IMG_0713 cropped
    Post edited by hypeunot at 2015-01-06 08:29:28
  • Sushi's at 13wks today and is about 11lbs :)
  • Quake weighed 30 lbs before his neuter in February 2014. After the neuter he weighed 35.5 pounds in December 2014. I had reduced his food intake by one half after the neuter and increased his exercise in the hopes that he would not gain weight post-neuter. Since his vet visit in early December 2014 I have stopped giving him coconut oil and he now gets 1/2 a treat in the morning and another small treat in the evening. I also reduced his training treats during walks from about 10 total for the day to about three training treats per day. I also reduced the amount of Grizzly Salmon oil from two pumps to one pump per day. I have also increased his exercise. He looks like he has lost weight but we will make sure when I take him back to the vet in February. The vet said he was not overweight but I prefer him to be a little more slender because I do not want him to have joint issues.
  • ehu_guyehu_guy
    Should I be concerned? 'Ehukai is now 17 weeks and just made 8 lbs! He's a rather picky eater and really self regulates. To a certain degree he was a grazer, so I've now resorted to solid 5 meal times (small amounts each time because he'll stop when he's full). He eats primarily dry NowFresh puppy but on occasion I'll give him a fried egg and some rice. He'll eat that no matter what.

Any suggestions on how to promote his growth through different foods? I'm worried he's going to stay tiny forever. Maybe he'll gain after getting neutered next month?
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @ehu_guy

You should have him on about 3 feedings a day since he's still young. If he doesn't finish, just pick up the leftovers after 10-15 minutes and don't feed him again until the next meal. If you submit to his pickiness and feed him multiple times so little just to get him to eat, he will more than likely become even more finicky.

Have you taken him to the vet recently? Your vet is the best person to ask on his ideal weight at the age that he's at. Mine was small at that age, probably around the same as yours. Shibas are not supposed to be that large, standard male weight is mid 20's so it sounds like he is doing fine but again, check with your vet.
    imageimage

• ehu_guyehu_guy
    @Kira_Kira

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely start doing that and having him eat 3 meals. We went to the vet now almost 3 weeks ago when he was 5.2 lbs and the visit 2 weeks before that (while getting all the shots) he was the same 5.2 lbs. I was concerned at that point when he didn't gain any weight after 2 weeks, but the vet said he was doing fine.

It's nice to hear from another owner whose shiba was growing at the same rate. It just seems like most owners on the forum had their shibas in the low teens already at 17 weeks. Maybe he was the runt, although his siblings were all the same size :-)
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @ehu_guy

I wouldn't worry too much about him being small, he sounds like he will be very close to standard - maybe 24-26lbs when he's full grown. Especially since your vet says that he is doing well.

I tallied all of Kira's weights as a puppy but the file is at home, just to check I can update what her weight was at approximately 4-5 months later on tonight. She was pretty small until she reached about 6 months of age, she is full-size now at 19.5lbs and that is ideal for a female.
    imageimage

• My Shiba was in the teens at 17 weeks. I can say now, she's a 7 month year old bruiser at 21 lbs. She definitely took after her dad. She's potentially 1/2 inch over standard, but I'm having trouble measuring her - wiggly lil thing!
  • Duke is 12 years old and about 22 lbs (when he last visited the vet). Not many people believe he is 12 though, due to his energetic behavior!
  • KimbasKinKimbasKin
    Kimba is similar to Duke- 12 in May and about 21 pounds. He has been mistaken for a puppy numerous times as he is so lively outside on walks- but if you get close you can see the gray hairs increasing on his head and the clouding of his eyes!
  • Kobe just turned one on Saturday and he weighs at 27lbs. Is that big?? He doesn't look big though
  • sunyatasunyata
    Here is a link to the AKC breed standard:
    https://www.akc.org/breeds/shiba_inu/breed_standard.cfm

Size, Proportion, Substance: Males 14½ to 16½ inches at withers. Females 13½ to 15½ inches. The preferred size is the middle of the range for each sex. Average weight at preferred size is approximately 23 pounds for males, 17 pounds for females. Males have a height to length ratio of 10 to 11, females slightly longer. Bone is moderate. Disqualification - Males over 16½ inches and under 14½ inches. Females over 15½ inches and under 13½ inches.

The Nippo standard is similar.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Happy is currently 4.5months and is at 10.5lbs.
    Tiny dude.
  • Lotus is a 3 year old female, weighs 14 lbs and is 13.75" at withers. Any suggestions on getting her to gain weight? We adopted her a month ago (she's from a store orig), she's very healthy, eats 1-1.5 bowls per day and is fairly active (when not sleeping haha).
    Post edited by D0WNxSH1FT at 2015-02-27 22:39:25
  • I don't know if anybody has any experience with this, but I've heard of giving whale fat to help animals gain weight? Probably best to ask your vet, though. I'm sure they'll have some good suggestions.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    What is the actual measurement of her daily feedings? I would try regimented feedings, honestly. If she's just grazing all day, she likely isn't eating that much. I supplement Kira with a Stella & Chewy's raw patty to get her to finish her dinner in one sitting. Shibas are finicky.
    imageimage

• JuniJuni
    From the first pictures of Lotus it looks like she doesn't have much muscle mass. Only adding fat to her food or up her food intake will not help to build more muscles. She will probably need more exercise. Hilly terrain is good for getting nice strong thighs and a booty like Kira ;-)
  • Kira_Kira said:

What is the actual measurement of her daily feedings? I would try regimented feedings, honestly. If she's just grazing all day, she likely isn't eating that much. I supplement Kira with a Stella & Chewy's raw patty to get her to finish her dinner in one sitting. Shibas are finicky.

Well, we rescued her at this weight and her old vet paperwork shows she was 13.8 lbs in 2013, so it's not new for her or due to stress.

She gets a cup in the morning to graze all day and then we add to it at night. She mostly eats at night after going out, playing or if we add cooked protein or peanut butter.

Our vet wants her to gain weight and suggested we regement the feedings and add wet food. Any advice?

Juni said:

From the first pictures of Lotus it looks like she doesn't have much muscle mass. Only adding fat to her food or up her food intake will not help to build more muscles. She will probably need more exercise. Hilly terrain is good for getting nice strong thighs and a booty like Kira ;-)

Hills and trails are hard to find on Manhattan haha. We get her to the dog park to run around and try to play fetch in our apartment but she's only interested 40% of the time (#shibaproblems)

She's very small for a Shiba, but she's the right height at withers but overall not as solid or muscular. And her fur doesn't poof or stand up like a well bred Shiba.
    Post edited by D0WNxSH1FT at 2015-02-28 12:14:01
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Look into dehydrated raw diets, you can just add a little water and that would be easier and last you longer than canned food.

If you do decide to try canned, though I recommend Merrick. Honest Kitchen, Stella & Chewy's for dehydrated raw. Definitely try to put her on two feelings a day and pick up what she doesn't eat after about 30 minutes. It should train her to eat more when food is out down immediately rather than just the grazing.
    imageimage

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Juni said:

LOL Thanks @Juni !!! We are proud of Kira's athletic build and juicy booty ;)
    We do hike quite a bit, Kira loves it and the bonding is priceless.
    imageimage

• Kira_Kira said:

Look into dehydrated raw diets, you can just add a little water and that would be easier and last you longer than canned food.

If you do decide to try canned, though I recommend Merrick. Honest Kitchen, Stella & Chewy's for dehydrated raw. Definitely try to put her on two feelings a day and pick up what she doesn't eat after about 30 minutes. It should train her to eat more when food is out down immediately rather than just the grazing.

I bought Merrick 96% Duck wet food. We added a big spoonful to 1/2 a cup this morning and she devoured it! I think we found a winner to get her to eat more, and in one sitting.
  • Just had my girl to the vet on Saturday (displaying signs of allergies already uuugg) and she is 15.5 lbs at just over 10 months old. Looks like we are going to have a petite lil girl. Her huge personality more than makes up for her stature though ;)
  • kiba888kiba888
    2 years and 3 months. Fluctuates 41-44 lbs.
  • JonbrickJonbrick
    Our Shiba, Sam, is larger and heavier than the AKC standards, measuring at 18 1/2 at the withers and weighing approx. 45 lbs +/-. Since he is a rescue, we can only estimate his age at about 8 years and he is neutered. After feeding him approx. 1 cup + daily of Blue Buffalo Life Protection, split between two feedings, we recently switched to their Healthy Weight formula. He does get a teaspoon of coconut oil every morning. Exercise consists at least one walk (sometimes 2), ranging from .6 to .8 mile round-trip. Depending on the temperature, his tongue is hanging by the end of his walk.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger
    Mika is 29 pounds, 3 yrs old

Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
    Post edited by BuckyBadger at 2015-03-22 18:40:20
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Jonbrick - One walk, sometimes two? That is NOT enough. Your dog should be getting at least three walks a day (and more likely four), especially if he is overweight.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • RikkaRikka
    Jonbrick said:

Exercise consists at least one walk (sometimes 2), ranging from .6 to .8 mile round-trip.

You... need to exercise that pup more, especially given with his weight.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    Tali's weight progress so far

10 weeks - 6.5 lbs
    11 weeks - 6.8 lbs
    12 weeks - 7.5 lbs
    13 weeks - 8 lbs
    14 weeks - 10 lbs
    15 weeks - 11.5 lbs
    16 weeks - 12.3 lbs
    17 weeks - 12.9 lbs
    18 weeks - 13.5 lbs
    19 weeks - 13.8 lbs
    20 weeks - 14.2 lbs
    21 weeks - 14.3 lbs

Pretty big jump from 13-14 weeks but looks like she's slowing down considerably. Can I expect another growth spurt in the new few months?
  • Happy 23 weeks at 14.3 pounds
    withers at 14 inches
    Post edited by happyfluff at 2015-03-26 06:27:05
  • Well Lotus, 3 y/o 13.75" wither female, has been eating better now that we added wet to her kibbles. She is now 15.2 lbs (13.8 when adopted).

Here she is after her bath today.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Post edited by D0WNxSH1FT at 2015-04-11 16:49:42
  • Buz_LightBuz_Light
    Raïssa is 19 week old and is 18 lbs now
  • Casper101Casper101
    Casper turns 1 year old on Tuesday and he is 35 pounds... what a fatty fat fat.

• RikkaRikka
    Sagan turns 3 in, well, three weeks!

He was hovering between 29 - 30lbs for awhile, but I wasn't happy with that, so I had him lose a few pounds by upping his exercise & reducing the amount of wet food he eats. He's 26lbs now.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Jonbrick-When I was giving Quake coconut oil he gained some weight. I cut out the coconut oil and continued with the Grizzly Salmon oil instead and he has lost the weight he had gained previously. I agree with the others that it sounds like your pup needs more exercise.
  • NovaNova
    My Kinji turned 5 months old yesterday! He currently weighs 26lbs. He weighed 21lbs at his 4 month weigh in. He was the biggest of the litter, with both his parents being medium sized Shibas and his father being Champion bloodlined.

I am not real sure where he is getting his "big genes" but I like it! I hope he continues to grow taller and more muscular (he is very stalky and sturdy, and not 'fat'!)

About how much more might I expect him to grow? I've heard that doubling the weight at 4 months old gives a good estimate, which might place him around 42lbs full grown.

Another interesting thing - he is growing his summer coat after shedding his puppy coat, and his new tail fur is growing in black. He really looks like a cross between a wolf and a fox. :)
    Post edited by Nova at 2015-04-29 17:41:02

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)