For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How big is your Shiba?
  • GatsuGatsu
    Guts(male) is 8 months, and is 16 pounds. He seems kind of small in comparison to other shibas his age. He was also neutered a little before 6months, so I hope that doesn't effect his growth. I notice he doesn't eat very much. I really hope he hits the 23 pound mark.
  • Miyumi weighed in at 14.3 pounds at 6 months. She looks like she is average with all the other 6 month old female weights.
    Heather, Logan, and two Shibas named Miyumi & Yoshiro
  • AnnaAnna
    The graphs cracks me up. I like at how a young age there's a somewhat consistent growth curve, but then it all goes to hell. And then the straight line at 36 months. XD

I do think it's interesting that the females are a lot more consistent grouping, where the males are all over the place.
  • SayaSaya
    Saya weighs 21 lbs I got her weighed at the vet. :

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • @anna - I arbitrarily called all dogs 36 months if they were 3 years or older. It seemed to me there was no chance the dog was still developing/filling out at that point, so any weight changes would be due to diet or something. Plus, it allowed the graph to show the puppy weight development more clearly - otherwise the graph trailed way off to like 140 months with very few data points.

It's playing with the statistics a bit, but I think it makes it better to see the data you're looking for.

Also, there's a similar thread to this on Dogster. I've started adding some of that data in as well to give a broader picture.
  • AnnaAnna
    @Asterix Yah, I saw you posted that you did that. I just though the huge line it ended up creating is hilarious. Such a huge difference in sizes in adult dogs!

It'll definitely be a helpful resource to compare age/weight to once I get my little guy. (Only 3 weeks omg!)
  • Both of our guys are 30 lbs at age 5. One is quite tall for the breed and thin, and the other is a bit thicker in body shape (more muscles as he bench presses in his spare time) and a few inches shorter.
  • So, I was wondering, would we care to add when the dog was spayed or neutered to this information? I mostly wonder because I'm curious about how well some of the giant shibas match up with ones who were spayed or neutered early (say, six months or before), given that early spay/neuter is connected to increased growth.
  • AnnaAnna
    I added Hammond to the chart and will update/add another data point after his next vet visit on Monday.

At his last visit (around 9 weeks) he was a bit over 7 pounds.
  • sunyatasunyata
    A new thread has been started that has incorporated spay/neuter dates as well.

Feel free to check it out:
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/8801/updated-how-big-is-your-shiba
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • RydensMomRydensMom
    My dog Ryden, is 17.5 inches tall and weighs 28 pounds. He is very sturdy with lean muscle.
    Post edited by RydensMom at 2012-05-11 09:31:02
  • lucylulucylu
    Lucy just got back from the vet for her UTI and rabies shot. She seems to have lost some weight. She was 19.8 pounds. I still think she looks kind of heavy though. Maybe it's just because her best friend, guts, is a scrawny wimp.
  • GatsuGatsu
    Guts is lean since he's a long distance runner.

and did not reach the 23 pounds that I was hoping for. lol
  • MomooMomoo
    Kimi (female) is now 6 months and is17,6 lbs (8 kg). I think she will be a big shiba
  • kobnjkobnj
    My Cody (male) is 4 years old and 49 pounds! Not fat.

Photobucket

• curlytailscurlytails
    Bumped for new members, since weight/growth questions and comparisons come up a lot.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • RikkaRikka
    Sagan is 16lbs at 4-months-old.

:P
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
    Post edited by Rikka at 2012-10-07 15:05:53
  • marybromarybro
    One of mine is 39lbs and 1 is 40lbs. I've heard creamies are usually heavier, but not sure it it was a reputable source. Mine are not heavy or fat at all
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Kuma is 7mo old, going through his growth spurt I think, he's currently 17lbs
  • CandyCandy
    Castro is just over 5 months & weights 13.3lbs
  • Saki just turned two. Was weighed at the vet the other day and weighs in at a whopping 5.6 lbs! She's a good weight for her body size. She's just real dainty.
  • BitiBeaBitiBea
    Kismet is a 2 year old spayed female. She weighs 20lbs.
    *´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` Kismet & BitiBea~*.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Bear at 11 months was 30lbs, but looks very lean and narrow. He stands tall for a Shiba though at 17-18 inches at the withers.
  • tatonkatatonka
    My Shiba, he's little. Almost 10 months and 15 lbs. He's neutered and doesn't eat much.
    Monkey!
    Post edited by tatonka at 2012-11-22 20:20:00
  • BootzBootz
    @tatonka, raw meals will cure that ;)
  • BootzBootz
    Bootz is 1 year 5 months at 30 pounds. She is a big girl :)
  • InuzooInuzoo
    That spread sheet is pretty amazing. Zooey is 4.5 (almost 5) months and still shy of double digits at 9.2. I see by the sheet she is pretty much the smallest but some are closer than I expected. I figure she will just be my "little girl".
  • SayaSaya
    Saya is three years she weighed 21lbs last time at the vet haven't been in while so my guess she is 20-22lbs?

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • @Inuzoo Maybe you'll be surprised! Your post made me curious about how Zooey measured up to other female Shibas her age (since I would have thought she was the smallest too) but there were two that seemed to be smaller and if the "Tikka"s are all the same dog, then one even grew up to be 19 lbs!! I guess it's just really hard to predict how big they'll get sometimes (although I do think she will always be small too).
  • CandyCandy
    @ Tatonka. I found my Shiba doesnt eat much either hes 6.5 months so I started making him boiled chicken with rice & had to puree the greens to mix in. I started this when his teeth were falling out. I found he was eating every last grain of rice & the meat and leaving the veggies cubes kind of funny. Anyways I want him to eat kibble & finally found one he loves! Its called go GO! I am giving him the chicken turkey + trout. I am in Canada so not sure if they sell it in other countries but he just loves it. We just had him neutered as welk so it will be interesting to see how his weight progresses.
  • InuzooInuzoo
    @notoriouscrat. I didn't see the Tikka but yes, their weights are really close. It will be interesting to see where Zooey goes. She's still a minimal eater but her treats and food are all healthy and she's healthy so she's right where she needs to be. :)
  • Mika weighed in today at 24.6
    Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
  • roxanneroxanne
    Mine's about 35 pounds!
  • Hiiro is a week away from being 5 months and is about 12 or 13 pounds.
  • KimuraKimura
    Kimura is a big girl... She's 7 and a half months and 19.5 pounds already!
  • RikkaRikka
    Wow, Sagan is identical to Kimura in terms of age and weight! Cool.
    Post edited by Rikka at 2013-01-11 20:26:28
  • zandramezandrame
    At Kouda's checkup on Tuesday, when he was a day shy of 18 weeks, he weighed in at 15.5 lbs
  • glitchglitch
    Kazu grew like a weed when he got neutered!!! The breeder said he'd be under 20lbs for sure, but he's at least 25lbs now! He's 1 yr + 2month old. :)
  • KimuraKimura
    Rikka said:

Wow, Sagan is identical to Kimura in terms of age and weight! Cool.

It will be fun to see if they keep progressing the same way!
  • tatonkatatonka
    Well Tatonka's been scarfing down chicken and kibble. No eating problems whatsoever.

He's still a scrawny looking hyena and 15 lbs. :)

On a positive note he fits in a backpack and I can sneak him into work.
    Monkey!
    Post edited by tatonka at 2013-01-12 12:23:57
  • RikkaRikka
    A+
  • redcattooredcattoo
    My boy is around 18" at the withers (tall slender) due to his BYB background. He looks thin but weighed in today at 13 months at almost 32 lbs.
  • InuzooInuzoo
    Zooey is 6.5 months old and weighs in at....... 9.2 pounds. She had her knives trimmed today and proudly sat on the scale. I thought we'd hit 10 by now. I'll have to go look back at what I posted last but I think its been 9.2 (Yep, checked back and she's been 9.2 for a month).

Guess she will always "puppy" sized.
    Photobucket
    (Don't mind the hubby sleeping it off on the couch, Zooey didn't seem too. haha)
  • ArcticArctic
    Sansa at 7 months old is 17.5 pounds. I really can't see her growing too much.
  • wufanwufan
    My shiba is now 16.5 lbs and he is 4 and half month old. Is he going to grow oversize? He looks very healthy and fit though. I don't worry much just wonder.
  • Sam was 8 lbs when he was about 10 weeks. We'll see how much he grows on the next vet visit
  • amtiamti
    Taisho was 22lbs at his first vet appt (with us) at 2 1/2 years old. He may have gained a pound or two since he was too thin and eats like a horse. Kaji is almost 8 months old, about an inch taller, and has a much smaller frame, so I am guessing he is about 19-20lbs. I have not measured either's height.
  • [img]/Users/steve/Desktop/!cid__0309001534a.jpg[img/]
  • Kari is about 17-18 lbs and one year old. Every time we see other Shiba's at the dog park, she always looks so small compared to others. We're not underfeeding her either =/ Though she's the smallest, she's the fastest and can run the longest so maybe she's just really fit?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)