For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Canine emery board
  • ncieloncielo
    Does anyone know where to buy one? If not I am up for a craft project but how to make it? I am completely afraid of clipping nails and certianly worst when I put my pets in others care. I've seen videos of dog emery boards but I've seen nothing more.
    Can you guys help out, thank you!
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Maybe this article would help you- Stress free nail clipping

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-grooming/articlegroom3.aspx
    犬竜
  • emmyemmy
    Stress free nail clipping? I'm an expert at this!! I leave him with the groomer and do my own thing. It's very relaxing. For me. Toby has a "get me the heck out of here" look and has lost about a quarter of his fur from flipping out when I get back to him. But paying the bill is way less stressful than fighting him!

I did just get a dremel nail tool, though....I'm sure I'll have lots of adventures to tell about regarding that. Not sure how well an emery board works...have you considered a grinding tool? I have a friend with a shiba and they do her nails once a week to keep them nice and smooth and short, and she just complies no problem. They started when she was a puppy, which I think is pretty key.
  • CaliaCalia
    Another forum member (kojichan) made a board for his to scratch on and file the nails down himself. Here's a video of what I mean:

He had posted it on this thread:
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=5473
  • Alex575Alex575
    That scratching board is a brilliant idea! I've tried the Oster Nail trimmer but Monju went ballistic as soon as she felt the grinding sensation on her nails. She would twist and turn so badly that I was afraid she'd break her own neck trying to get away from it so I sent it back.

So far her nails have been filed down just from walking on the pavement, so hopefully I won't have to cut them myself, but I bought a doggie nail clipper for when they get too long.

Ncielo, if you find a regular emery board that works on Nikko please let us know the brand.

@ Emmy, please post if you have success with the nail grinder. I didn't and it wasn't the noise that freaked her, out it was the grinding sensation.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)