For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Funny things your Shiba has learned to do
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    While driving, as I look into my drivers side mirror, I see a familiar face looking at me, its Penny. She is teatherd to the seat belt harness so I wasn't''t worried about her jumping out. At first I thought maybe I forgot to close the window. After closing it, a lttle further down the road she has her head outside again enjoying the breeze. Smart little girl learned how to use the window switch. Well, the child protection override is activated.

Luckily, she does'nt know how to drive stick.
    犬竜
  • Haha Yoshi figured out how to open the window in my car too but he is also in a seatbelt so he can't jump out. He also can open some doors.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/video/video.php?v=328867100108&subj=100000745428190
  • sunyatasunyata
    Haha... Yeah, Nola learned how to do that pretty much the first time she rode in the car... I LOVE the window locks! :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • JudyJudy
    I've found Frodo's seatbelt unbuckled on more than one occasion. I don't know if he just happened to hit the release or if he did it on purpose.
  • Shiba's are sooooooooooo smart!!

My boy KNOWS how to open the cookie cabinet."He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." (Anon)
    Post edited by Kirbysmom at 2010-11-13 16:44:44
  • JudyJudy
    Frodo has a passion for shoes, esp mine. This house has sliding mirrored doors in the bedrooms and he can open them to grab a shoe. We had to cut thin pvc pipe and put it in the track. He hasn't tried to take that out.
  • Koji did something today that I hope I can "capture" and train him to do...on a walk he went up to a bush and lifted his leg, then he lifted his OTHER leg and was doing a handstand!!! was soooooo surprising and funny-

Another potty thing, when we have company and other dogs are here, sometimes he will back into the bushes till only head and front paws showing and go poop, like he needs privacy...

He kills me...:)
  • AraksAraks
    @Koji's mom : my neighbor's malamute does the same backing up into the bushes thing. its hilarious, except that its a 100 lb dog going into a tiny bush hahahaha
  • JudyJudy
    My first foster had a sore spot after neutering (other than his incision) and had to wear a cone. Before the cone, he loved to pick up acorns of which we have a multitude. We figured the cone would stop that, but no, he'd scoop them up with the cone and roll them around in it.
  • ncieloncielo
    I don't really know if Niko learnt this or its just a habit, but I've noticed every time I think about filing or clipping his nails, I look at them and they are already trimmed. So I put my tools down and think that it's probably the concrete or something else filing his nails down. This morning he laid in bed with me until I got up and I caught him. He naws and nibbles at his nail tips and I looked at them after and wow, he trimmed his own nails. No sharp edges. But I guess like humans, this isn't good and it probably is a habit, a good one. I just thought it was pretty clever of him to figure out.
    I always wondered why his nails never get long.
  • JudyJudy
    i've never had to trim my jindo/shepherd's toenails, except for her dew claws. I've never caught Chelsie trimming them herself either. She & Frodo walk on the pavement the same amount of time, and his need trimmed.
  • LadywolfLadywolf
    I am 100 percent sure i never taught shogun my 1 year old shiba to open ANY drawers. But so far, he managed to open the shoe cabinet and ransacked all the shoes in it, and then after i forbid him ransacking the shoe cabinet, he somehow managed to open the drawer where i put all his stuff in it! The funny thing is, i told him that the shoes are not HIS, but is mine and my room mate's, so he cannot take it or destroy it because it is other people's stuff. Now he ransacked his own stuff and i can't pretty much scold him, i just told him that it is messy, and put it all back in the drawer.
  • We put in a baby gate at the kitchen so he can stay in there while still getting lots of ventilation through the kitchen. He has learnt to take a running start from the far end of the kitchen, before leaping over the gate that is more than double his height. The gate has no horizontal bars at all.
  • @ncielo - that is so great. chewing his own nails! LOL

Let's see... Jack slides around a lot on the hardwood floors, he likes to steal socks and he loves to lick the shag rug. I think if he learned to chew his nails off he would be a deadly ninja. I only know he's sneaking around from the clip clop of his nails on the floors.
  • emmyemmy
    Toby knows what belongs to him and what doesn't. He never tears up things that don't belong to him, like papers laying around or pillows. But if I give him something he goes to town on it. I didn't know him as a puppy, so maybe SOMEONE taught him to leave things alone? But he "forgot" the sit command when he came to me, so who knows?
  • jujeejujee
    So today I left Mika alone for a few mins. I had a bullystick inside of my purse which was put inside of my backpack. 10 minutes later I come back, what does she have? the bullystick! She learned how to unzip my backpack and pulled out my purse and unzipped that and got her bullystick. The things dogs will do for their bullys!
  • Hachi digs on command... If we say the word "Japan" repeatedly she starts digging like crazy!
  • maxwellsmaxwells
    I like Hachi's trick! I might have to teach mine to do that on command. ;)
    Jenn & Stephen (humans), Ichiro & Akira (shibas), Abraham & Anya (cats)
  • I taught my shiba Duke something that at first I thought was adorable, but now it annoys some other members of the family. The idea was when a little toddler needs something from their parents, they usually grab the end of the shirt and tug until they get their attention. For Duke, however, I taught him to "tap" on our legs with his paw when he needs something like to go outside or wants a treat. He's learned that a few taps will usually get our attention, but if we ignore him, a bark or a snort usually gives us a big "HEY!" I still think it's adorable.
    Post edited by DukesBigSister at 2015-01-08 22:13:00
  • My little boy Quake (3 1/2 years old) learned to clean his adorable muzzle on my pants leg when we are out for a walk. If he puts his face into water or it's raining or whatever he then comes up to my side and wipes his face on my pants leg. I find this adorable because little human toddlers do the same thing. He reminds me of a human little boy in so many ways!! Too adorable!
  • knnwangknnwang
    OM goodness... so all those "it's just like a kid." Comments. No, they must be crazy pet ppl. ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)